Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,613 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:17 PM

As A Next Of Kin, How Do I Close a deceased Bank Account? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / As A Next Of Kin, How Do I Close a deceased Bank Account? (11847 Views)

How Can I Close My Bank Account? / How To Check Your Bank Account Balance Using Your Mobile Phone / Who Is Your Next Of Kin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As A Next Of Kin, How Do I Close a deceased Bank Account? by Fogman(m): 7:04pm On Aug 13, 2010
Hello house, please, i am the next of kin to my dad and i lost him last year, i want to close his bank account domicilled at First bank, how do i go about this? Can i handle the process myself or will i need the services of a lawyer to do it? Your advice are highly welcome. Thanks
Re: As A Next Of Kin, How Do I Close a deceased Bank Account? by macdaddy: 3:58pm On Aug 16, 2010
1.if your father left a will stating you as the beneficiary,then get a lawyer to write and inform them possibly a notary public
2.secondly,if without a will,go to any of the law courts ask to see the registrar,inform him that you need a letter of administration to present at the bank to claim your fathers estate.from there,they will tell you what to do.
Re: As A Next Of Kin, How Do I Close a deceased Bank Account? by Fogman(m): 7:07pm On Aug 17, 2010
My brother thanks for the info, ll do as u said. Cheers

1 Like

Re: As A Next Of Kin, How Do I Close a deceased Bank Account? by Fogman(m): 12:40pm On Sep 02, 2010
Once i get the letter of administration, can i be able to continue running the account? Any banker in the house, your input is needed here.
Re: As A Next Of Kin, How Do I Close a deceased Bank Account? by mount1ng(m): 1:42pm On Sep 02, 2010
You can't run the account. Open another with your name then transfer it there. Mine you, govt will take some percentage of the money.
Re: As A Next Of Kin, How Do I Close a deceased Bank Account? by adewaleID: 12:46pm On Nov 04, 2011
Hi,

Did you manage to close the account. I am in the same situation, Pls help out.
Re: As A Next Of Kin, How Do I Close a deceased Bank Account? by amec(m): 9:50am On May 24, 2012
You must need the services of a
deceased estate executor
weather you like it or not most
especially when equities are
involved.
Contact me by sending a text
message only to the following
number. +2348033480606
Do not call. I repeat do not call
first But send a text.
Re: As A Next Of Kin, How Do I Close a deceased Bank Account? by amec(m): 10:05am On May 24, 2012
Get a letter of administration from a probate court. One could be found in your local govt of origin's administrative headquarters. Ask the probate registrar to give you certificate of administration in case of where there is no will left and you are the next of kin.

It does not end there.
The account need not be closed because every other business the deceased person had before death will still require that account to function. For eg. If the deceased person had property or stake or shares in any company, that account is the only one that will enable you to continue to draw on dividend sent from those company. The bank after processing it already sees you as the Administrator of that account who former owner is deceased and you being the next of kin has authorisation thro. the probate certificate to manage that account and do as you wish.

If your relatives name is John and yours is Peter. The banks new probate account will read viz.
Acc. of John decd. admo. Peter.
the signature of this account will authoaticaly be yours even though your deceased relatives name still appears.

You must need the services of a deceased estate executor weather you like it or not most especially when equities are involved.

Contact me by sending a text message only to the following number. +2348033480606

Do not call. I repeat do not call first But send a text.

1 Like

Re: As A Next Of Kin, How Do I Close a deceased Bank Account? by amec(m): 10:15am On May 24, 2012
Re: As A Next Of Kin, How Do I Close a deceased Bank Account? by topfally75(m): 7:26pm On Oct 09, 2012
[what if d decease left some money in his acct. Hw wud d next-of-kin claim d money?
Re: As A Next Of Kin, How Do I Close a deceased Bank Account? by chemashie(m): 11:34am On Oct 10, 2012
@ op, will you still inform us if the money enter ur account? Make i be ur next of kin now? Lol!
Re: As A Next Of Kin, How Do I Close a deceased Bank Account? by nanaman(m): 5:44pm On Feb 01, 2013
How do you transfer stocks to a next of kin of a deceased who never made a will??
Re: As A Next Of Kin, How Do I Close a deceased Bank Account? by fogman1(m): 8:16am On Mar 11, 2013
I have not commenced the process yet, i was discouraged cos i was informed thar the process is long and cumbersome. Will be on it soon. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Tesla Loses Big After Elon Calls An Analyst's Questions 'Boring And Bonehead" / I Need Business IDEAS To Earn 1k Or 2k Daily / Oil Soars Past $100 After Russia Orders Troops Into Ukraine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.