Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,714 members, 7,820,494 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

Ghanaian Politician Who Threatened Slain Undercover Reporter Flees - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Ghanaian Politician Who Threatened Slain Undercover Reporter Flees (477 Views)

Police Arrest 19-Year-Old Who Threatened To Kidnap Adamawa Businessman's Wife / Soldiers Who Threatened To Rape Women In Warri Arrested In Lagos / Stowaways Who Threatened Crew Of Ship Are Nigerians And Liberians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghanaian Politician Who Threatened Slain Undercover Reporter Flees by Barondenigeria: 10:02am On Jan 18, 2019
Kennedy Agyapong, a member of Ghana’s ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP), has left the country despite a wave of condemnation and suspicion that he allegedly knew of the murder of an undercover reporter.

Ahmed Hussein-Suale was gunned down in an Accra neighbourhood on Wednesday night. His assailants, reported to be two and riding on a motorbike, trailed him as he was driving home around 10:00 p.m. and shot him three times in Madina, a suburb of the nation’s capital.

He was an associate of prominent Ghanaian investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas, who runs the Tiger Eye Private Investigations outfit in that country.

The development has sparked widespread outrage amongst journalists and media rights advocates across the world, with the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists demanding a prompt and holistic inquest from Ghanaian government.
Ghanaian President Nana Akufo-Addo condemned the killing and prevailed on the police to urgently unravel the circumstances that led to it. He also condoled with Mr Hussein-Suale’s family and Tiger Eye.
Mr Agyapong, a lawmaker representing the country’s Assin Central at the parliament, became an instant suspect in the murder of the undercover reporter, whose latest work exposed corruption in Ghanaian sports industry. Mr Hussein-Suale was also said to have been a part of the undercover video that revealed Salisu Yusuf of the Nigerian Football Federation as taking bribes. Mr Yusuf was subsequently sanctioned.
A video extracted from a broadcast on Ghana’s NET2 station went viral on social media Thursday. It showed Mr Agyapong calling for the public to beat Mr Hussein-Suale for his undercover activities.
Mr Agyapong was seen departing preparing to fly out of Ghana on Thursday, apparently after being questioned by the police over the video clip, which was shared by Mr Anas on Thursday morning.
The politician strongly denied that he was leaving the country because he has been identified as a suspect, saying the trip was planned well before the murder Wednesday night. He also said he only called for Mr Hussein-Suale to be beaten after employees at NET2 reported sighting him in the station’s premises.
Mr Agyapong, 58, owns NET2 and other media outlets in Ghana. He has been in the parliament since 2001.

He said he made the threats against Mr Hussein-Suale because he believed the slain reporter, whom he reportedly helped pay school fees in 2012, could plant recording devices in offices of NET2, and he could not have plotted his killing because he has never written nor done any undercover work against him.
The politician also accused Mr Anas and his lawyer of trying to muddle police investigation by amplifying him as the prime suspect, even though he believes Mr Anas was the suspect.
He said Mr Hussein-Suale fell out with Mr Anas before his death, and the famed investigator might have ordered his hit to suppress possible secrets.
But Mr Anas strongly rejected Mr Agyapong’s comments, telling PREMIUM TIMES he was with Mr Hussein-Suale hours before he died.

The politician is known to be a liar,” Mr Anas said by telephone Friday morning. “I do not think that anybody should take anything he says seriously.”
“On the day my reporter died I was sitting with him, and he left me for an assignment,” Mr Anas added.
Mr Anas said he has not specifically accused Mr Agyapong or anyone else as being responsible for the murder, and would rather let the police conduct a thorough investigation.
Mr Hussein-Suale is expected to be buried Friday in accordance with Islamic rites. (Credit: Premium times)

Source:
http://www.insiderpostonline.com/news/ghanaian-politician-who-threatened-slain-undercover-reporter-flees/

Re: Ghanaian Politician Who Threatened Slain Undercover Reporter Flees by 4reala(m): 11:47am On Jan 18, 2019
He cannot run forever now, justice will surely catch up with him
Re: Ghanaian Politician Who Threatened Slain Undercover Reporter Flees by Hector09(m): 12:47pm On Jan 18, 2019
Its very risk to be an investgative jounalist, even in europe, to be honest u cnt run me down to promote ur work as a jounalist, head we role
Re: Ghanaian Politician Who Threatened Slain Undercover Reporter Flees by Artistree: 12:52pm On Jan 20, 2019
Hector09:
Its very risk to be an investgative jounalist, even in europe, to be honest u cnt run me down to promote ur work as a jounalist, head we role
Heads will ROLL, not role.
Re: Ghanaian Politician Who Threatened Slain Undercover Reporter Flees by TMKsouth: 4:47pm On Jan 20, 2019
These cops just made their job more difficult. They were supposed to prohibit him from leaving the country while investigations are ongoing. Will take them years to get him back to Ghana should he abscond to some country with no extradition agreement with Ghana. Clearly the guy has no conscience judging by his public comments. He ain't coming back.

(1) (Reply)

Popular Slay Queen Arrested After Her Housemaid Exposed Fetish Items She Used / Housemaid Caught On CCTV Defecating In Kitchen (video) / I Killed Barr Obot To Offset My Hotel Bill- Murder Suspect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.