Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,529 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? (41891 Views)

CBN Offical Tells Nigerians To Deposit Old Notes In Their Banks (Video) / How To Deposit Old ₦‎1000, ₦‎500 And ₦‎200 Notes At The CBN / Nigerian Man Takes $500,000 Cash To Deposit In A Bank, Causes Stirs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Dappertwayne: 8:00pm On Jan 20, 2019
uchennamani:
Perhaps you should read the entire case, paying attention to the court's decision. The facts of Salami Vs. Savannah Bank is quite different from the OP's post. The relevant question here is whether the bank owe it's customers a duty to prevent occurrence of robbery in its bank halls? And the answer is yes, provided the customer could prove that he has the money with him at the time the robbery occurred.

I'm surprised that people here are concerned with only what happens if the money hasn't been deposited. What if the customer made a withdrawal from his/her account and the robbers took the money right there in the bank hall? The bank is liable to pay back once there is evidence to prove that the money was stolen by the robbers. The bank's liability would stem from the duty owed to the customer to secure it's premises from robbery.
I disagree sir. I think such would be akin to opening the proverbial Pandora's box; there'll be a floodgate of similar litigation, with outrageous claims
P.S: I'm no lawyer, I'm still learning
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by moshino(m): 8:07pm On Jan 20, 2019
wetdick:
Once you are in the premises of the bank and a robbery occur. Dem take your cash. Dem no born the bank well if dem no give you your cash whether deposite or not.

It is the duty of the bank to protect their facility from attack.

Arrant nonsense!
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by 11doubledee: 8:10pm On Jan 20, 2019
Fastest route to OYO
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by bigcover(m): 8:12pm On Jan 20, 2019
The CCTV should come-in handy on issues such as this.
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by oskobi: 8:12pm On Jan 20, 2019
The bank is not liable as no transaction has be initiated between u and the bank, secondly not everybody that enters the bank wants to make transaction, some enter for the purpose of enquire, others to use the rest room, some to come and meet their friend wanting to make a transaction. Etc
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Petersamuel8(m): 8:14pm On Jan 20, 2019
you are on your own if the money is not yet deposited or if you don't have a teller as a prove of payment
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by superdude007(m): 8:15pm On Jan 20, 2019
wetdick:

ok oh.
I will refer you to a case salami vs savannah bank
i am not a lawyer but did research on it.
I remember this case in Business Law, ICAN
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Timekeeper: 8:15pm On Jan 20, 2019
uchennamani:
That would be dependent on lots of facts. If the money is already deposited, the bank is 100% liable to pay back. Theoretically speaking, the bank will still be liable if the money hasn't been deposited but the customer could prove that he has the money with him before the robbery occurred. This is simply because the bank owed the customer a duty of care to prevent occurrence of robbery in its premises. The court would resort to evidence to hold the bank liable. I believe there is no straight-forward answer here. They may be liable, they may escape liability.

Still, the general rule is that the bank owe it's customers a duty to prevent occurrence of robbery in its halls/premises. The rule here is to do everything reasonable foreseeable to prevent the robbery from taking place.

Lemme share, the bank may pay and may not pay in these cases;

1. Bank may pay : bank may just accept to indemnify the customer and give them some amount but not to the full extent of their losses so as to maintain their customers trust and patronage

2. Duty of care: bank will pay if and only if they failed to act in good faith concerning their customer security but in the case the bank acted in good faith and did all it could have done with no negligence to have avoided the robbery and yet they were still robbed, the bank may not pay the customer if she or he haven't been issued a receipt...

Just my little submission
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by pooozeee(m): 8:17pm On Jan 20, 2019
As long as the casher has not yet collected the money from you, as long as the money has not yet entered the bank account, your money will not be refunded
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by redeyes2016(m): 8:19pm On Jan 20, 2019
ChelseaDotCom:
Hello guys, just thinking while I was in a bank standing on the queue to deposit; assuming I'm about to hand the money over to the cashier or cashier has collected the money but yet to register it on the computer...and a group of robbers just come in, shoot sporadically and rob people of their monies. Am I going to be paid back or am I part covered by the insurance?
Bankers and Lawyers in the house, I need you here.

it has gone like that nah..
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Pinkyhubb: 8:20pm On Jan 20, 2019
If such a thing happens at a bank residence, then the bank owes you an apology that's all. Your money Can't be replaced.
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Fxwarrior: 8:24pm On Jan 20, 2019
ChelseaDotCom:
Hello guys, just thinking while I was in a bank standing on the queue to deposit; assuming I'm about to hand the money over to the cashier or cashier has collected the money but yet to register it on the computer...and a group of robbers just come in, shoot sporadically and rob people of their monies. Am I going to be paid back or am I part covered by the insurance?
Bankers and Lawyers in the house, I need you here.

This story reminds of the man that gave his rent to his land lord in the presence of robbers saying, " Oga Landlord I am no longer owing you o."
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Petersamuel8(m): 8:24pm On Jan 20, 2019
McTEE10:
My guy, just carry your teller and stamp before everything comes to an order. That's your insurance.
sharp guy
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by AkpanUnanam(m): 8:25pm On Jan 20, 2019
Greatzeus:

I disagree sir,how will you prove you have a certain amount of money with you. What if everyone claims they came with N10m to deposit and it was stolen?
Unless you can prove beyond every reasonable doubt(which you won't be able to do),that you came in with such amount of money kiss your money good bye. Not everyone in the banking hall is there to deposit,how can you prove you weren't there to collect ATM card or check your balance etc?.
Every money the bank has is owned by someone(Capital) and owed to someone(Liability). When you deposit,you are owed,so they send you credit alert(creditor). When you withdraw,the money they owe you reduce,so they send you debit alert (debtor).
Your best assurance of having your money back is if it has been credited to your account,if not,it is just your words against the bank's. And believe me the bank will likely get away with it.
apart from Nigeria way of doing things, I think hiding camera can analyst everything.
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by kalmebad(f): 8:25pm On Jan 20, 2019
uchennamani:
That would be dependent on lots of facts. If the money is already deposited, the bank is 100% liable to pay back. Theoretically speaking, the bank will still be liable if the money hasn't been deposited but the customer could prove that he has the money with him before the robbery occurred. This is simply because the bank owed the customer a duty of care to prevent occurrence of robbery in its premises. The court would resort to evidence to hold the bank liable. I believe there is no straight-forward answer here. They may be liable, they may escape liability.

Still, the general rule is that the bank owe it's customers a duty to prevent occurrence of robbery in its halls/premises. The rule here is to do everything reasonable foreseeable to prevent the robbery from taking place.

Talking like an alien in Nigeria. Why don't you hold d sky and prevent rain from falling or sun to shine

If the money hadn't been registered, you r on your own
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by FlyingTOMATOE: 8:26pm On Jan 20, 2019
chihes:
You are covered if the money has been registered on the system, but if not registered before the attack, you are on your own.
the cogent questions needed to asked are
1. Is the Bank responsible for the security and safety of her customers within the premises?
2. Could the source of the cash in question be established? Either genuine or not?
If answers to these questions are in the affirmative, the customer/complaint will surely be refunded no matter how outrageous or bogus the claims are.
However, nowadays, if a customer can make it out of a bank robbery alive, he should thank his stars

1 Like

Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by FlyingTOMATOE: 8:30pm On Jan 20, 2019
Oblongata:
I am saddened by the replies thus far...

Law relating to banking (fin 410)

All banks have cameras at the teller points for reasons such as this; they will be able to conclude if indeed you were with depositing cash or not and ascertain close to a conclusive terrain ; with the use of camera, the amount which the customer has claimed

They will do necessary investigation on your depositing nature e.g if the trend of your previous deposit is similar to the one you claim...

They will also investigate your transaction history or account book of your business to ascertain the truth.

Whether your cash is registered or not, you can be indemnified

Banks always uphold it's brand image especially in a case gone public hence, compensation is usually the first and viable option.

Banks can also use these videos evidenceso for their insurance companies and they can be indemnified. ..

If the cash were to be in your pocket or bag however Without you being at the teller or showing convincing signs that you intend to deposit , you might not be indemnified.

Shalom
point blank
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Orpe7(m): 8:30pm On Jan 20, 2019
Your fault
Ur money never enter bank hand
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by AceVentura: 8:33pm On Jan 20, 2019
wetdick:
Once you are in the premises of the bank and a robbery occur. Dem take your cash. Dem no born the bank well if dem no give you your cash whether deposite or not.

As long as you can’t provide a valid teller for that day’s transaction, you’re on your own.
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by bellville: 8:34pm On Jan 20, 2019
In civil cases, the standard of proof is "proof on a balance of probabilities" not proof beyond reasonable doubt like in criminal cases.
Greatzeus:

I disagree sir,how will you prove you have a certain amount of money with you. What if everyone claims they came with N10m to deposit and it was stolen?
Unless you can prove beyond every reasonable doubt(which you won't be able to do),that you came in with such amount of money kiss your money good bye. Not everyone in the banking hall is there to deposit,how can you prove you weren't there to collect ATM card or check your balance etc?.
Every money the bank has is owned by someone(Capital) and owed to someone(Liability). When you deposit,you are owed,so they send you credit alert(creditor). When you withdraw,the money they owe you reduce,so they send you debit alert (debtor).
Your best assurance of having your money back is if it has been credited to your account,if not,it is just your words against the bank's. And believe me the bank will likely get away with it.
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Divinerose(f): 8:36pm On Jan 20, 2019
wetdick:

i disagree. Provided the money is yet to be registered, the bank cannot give you the cash. What if the victim lie about what was collected from him. So if the money you came to deposit is not yet registerd b4 the armed robbers attacked, the status of your money is 'gone too soon'.
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by captaininiobong(m): 8:38pm On Jan 20, 2019
call 911 2ocm to the bank, call 912 after deposit.
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by obinna58(m): 8:41pm On Jan 20, 2019
You can't get robbed inside Bank, robbers have targets don't be stupid grin
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by integrity16(m): 8:42pm On Jan 20, 2019
NDIC would do the needful na.
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by kachistone: 8:46pm On Jan 20, 2019
When it comes to bank deposits, the highest NDIC can pay is 500k. That sum is what a person is entitled to in the event of the collapse of a commercial or mortgage bank. However, the sum is lesser for micro finance banks.
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by maklelemakukula(m): 8:46pm On Jan 20, 2019
Cyoung4real:

What are you saying?
hahaha
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by FATBAYO(m): 8:54pm On Jan 20, 2019
Car parked at owner's risk that's outside that's ur negligence but Robbery in side banking Hall no matter aw much the bank shld be held liable for not protecting the banking hall properly
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by sylvacent007: 8:56pm On Jan 20, 2019
wetdick:

Oga story story....welcome.
Typical OYO.
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by DavidEsq(m): 9:06pm On Jan 20, 2019
wetdick:

ok oh.

I will refer you to a case salami vs savannah bank

i am not a lawyer but did research on it.
Oga I don't know wat u read in that case that informed ur conclusion that the bank would be held liable o! This is wat the supreme Court said in that case:
"If the customer makes a deposit but a cheque is presented b4 the deposit is credited into the customer's account, due to the short time frame in crediting the account, the bank would not be liable if the cheque is dishonoured". As at the time the cheques were presented for clearing, the 4k which the customer had directed to be paid into his account had not been credited into his account. Hence the cheques were dishonoured. So how does this case apply to the issue afoot, especially wen the money in this case had been deposited but OP's question touches on "b4 depositing" not after depositing.
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jan 20, 2019
Your money don go be that...see kweshun
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by abels(m): 9:13pm On Jan 20, 2019
wetdick:

sorry 4 you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience / Man Gets A Car For Returning N53m Mistakenly Paid Into His Account By The Govt / "I Deposited N167K But Was Credited With N1.67M" - Man (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.