Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,055 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:49 AM

Things That Consume Data On Windows 10 Laptops. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Things That Consume Data On Windows 10 Laptops. (1041 Views)

Top 10 Laptops In 2019 / How Do I Set Internet Access From My Modem As Metered On Windows 10 / How To Convert Airtime To Data On Airtel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Things That Consume Data On Windows 10 Laptops. by wwsurfers(m): 6:50pm On Jan 20, 2019
Windows is frustrating when it comes to data. I saw a guy who was about reverting to previous Windows because of this. But that isn't the best option. Knowing the things responsible for consuming your data is a great help in your blitz to punctiate how Windows 10 consumes your data.

Recommended: Best HP Laptop Deals in Nigeria in 2019 (See the images of them below)

What are the things that consumes my data on my Windows 10 Laptop?

1. Auto-Update.
2. The tiles on the Start Menu.
3. Apps running on the background.

These are the major data suckers. Once you stop them, your Windows 10 would be able to manage data as previous Windows? Contribute to this post. Squee!

UPDATE
Please, kindly go to the second comment which is by me for how to switch off auto-update and how to stop background apps from running.

Re: Things That Consume Data On Windows 10 Laptops. by DieuDonee(m): 6:53pm On Jan 20, 2019
So how do you switch off the data for them?
Re: Things That Consume Data On Windows 10 Laptops. by wwsurfers(m): 11:20pm On Jan 20, 2019
DieuDonee:
So how do you switch off the data for them?

You don't switch off the data. You switch them off. There are millions of tutorials online.

Of all factors I mentioned, auto-update consumes data more. To switch off auto-update:

Click Ctrl + R
Enter services.msc
Look for Windows Update, double click on it or right click on it and open its properties
Under General tab, make Startup type "Disabled"
Go to Recovery tab, and switch First Failure, Second Failure and Third Failure to "Take No Action"
Click "Okay"

Secondly, on the long list (Services) where you saw Windows update:
Look for Update Orchestrator Service and open its properties
Under the General tab, make Startup type "Disabled"
Go to Recovery tab, and switch First Failure, Second Failure and Third Failure to "Take No Action"
Click "Okay"

This would stop the auto-update.

Side effects
When this setting is active, you won't be able to download items from the Windows store. Thus, before downloading from it, you should revert the setting. Further, your system as they (Windows) say might be vulnerable. In this way, you should ensure you manually update you device as you have turned off the auto-update.

For Background Apps

Press Ctrl + i
Go to Privacy
On the left, scroll down to Background Apps and click on it
Turn off Let apps run on the background

This won't only prevent apps from auto-updating, it'll also save your battery. That's how much I can help for now.

(1) (Reply)

Neat Core I5 Hp Folio Laptop At A Give Away Price / I Introduced Prof. Dora Akunyili And The V.C. Of UNN Into Practical Computer / Share Your Experience On Devices Bought On Nairaland(phones, Computers, Etc)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.