Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,871 members, 7,824,625 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 (32487 Views)

The 10 Biggest Archaeology Discoveries Of 2020 / 8 Greatest Gaming Chairs Of 2018 (for Gaming Freaks) / 7 Best Coffee Grinders Of 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by FocusedB1h(f): 1:38pm On Jan 26, 2019
The fact that this informative post has just two pages of comments shows the problem we have in this country.
It is finished.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by AbleBeing: 1:41pm On Jan 26, 2019
Nice one. Maybe we'll get it right someday.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by Conspiracist: 1:46pm On Jan 26, 2019
webincomeplus:

Hey! I just saw your post in which you stated that you're a freelance writer. How can I hook up with you for some gigs?

Hit me up on WhatsApp 08086188793
Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by thegoodone1234(m): 2:01pm On Jan 26, 2019
nice
Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by DNA1997: 2:20pm On Jan 26, 2019
wow all d discoveries are wonderful and great.....so so awesome
Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by EngrKem: 4:33pm On Jan 26, 2019
Nice
Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by Fidelismaria: 4:56pm On Jan 26, 2019
Wonderful writeup op

No 3 has always been my dream

I hope to one day be the geneticist to perfect the anti aging drug in humans

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by Simplecity(m): 4:58pm On Jan 26, 2019
NuclearReactor:
Let me park my telsa model S Heregringrin
Lalasticala mynd44 come and see fp material!!
eco-friendly ma nigga

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jan 26, 2019
Interesting and Nice Thread
Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by x6blade(m): 5:10pm On Jan 26, 2019
josh123:
i hope soon we can travel at d speed of light to explore other galaxies
the faster we go, the heavier we get which means more mass this means more energy is needed to move more mass which means an increase in speed leads to more mass this is why it's impossible for objects with mass to be light speed exceot photons themselves
Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by Conspiracist: 5:16pm On Jan 26, 2019
sunnyeinstein:

Can our bodies survive effects of the speed of light? Not for now, I think

Our body system would definitely not be able to withstand the effect of travelling at the speed of light but a suit could be invented to make it possible with little or no effects to the human body

Just like how the spacesuit was invented to make us adapt to harsh environments of the outer space in order to travel there, so it's possible.
Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by BiGVEEN58(m): 5:19pm On Jan 26, 2019
freemanbubble:
Isoright

Imagine life without science
Just like life without weed it would have been useless

Kwantinue. You go soon crase cheesy
Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by Starks: 5:23pm On Jan 26, 2019
reading stuffs with facts ... very exciting.
Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by aadoiza: 5:34pm On Jan 26, 2019
eunisam:
#6: The Brightest object in the known universe.

This pipul can lie oooh
We no fit disprove am na, so we go believe. We're believers of science.
Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by kanubiafra: 5:52pm On Jan 26, 2019
Conspiracist:

Yes we discovered the art of converting the human pants to Benz grin
or rather the use of pants in yahoo rituals
Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by Ijeleigbo(m): 7:37pm On Jan 26, 2019
Awesome article! Educating and refreshing!! These are the kind if articles that are supposed to be on front page!!! I don't know but I believe very soon, Nigerians will begin to make scientific discoveries.... We are super smart just our society pollutes our mind but our future is in our hands! Its left for us to focus our mind power and energy on positive things....only then can we dig into our subconscious.... Every man/woman, black or white has a drop of greatness! Dig deeper and you shall discover!!!!

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by Divingdeep: 8:16pm On Jan 26, 2019
hmm. pretty interesting lists... So mant things are left to be uncovered though
Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by showafrica(m): 8:29pm On Jan 26, 2019
Science is Bae and in 2018 we just discovered that Buhari is a tyrant

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by wackpoet(m): 8:45pm On Jan 26, 2019
Conspiracist:
#4: The holy grail of paleontology
In September of 2018 a group of Australian scientists managed to finally identify a fossil that's been stumping experts since its discovery in 1947.

Found near the White Sea in Russia, this 5.1 centimeter-long oval-shaped fossil with symmetrical ribs was given the name Dickinsonia.

The creature died in a place that, back then, was a great ocean, meaning it was more than likely an aquatic creature, or at least able to survive in ancient waters. "Dick"insonia went unclassified for over seven decades but has finally been proven to be an animal. It's considered to be the holy grail of paleontology, as Dickinsonia is actually an animal that lived 558 million years ago. This makes it the oldest animal ever discovered and likely one of the first complex living things to exist on Earth.

I know these names are often given based on Latin, but come on, "Dick"insonia? Okay, we gotta name this thing. A lot of people are gonna be saying its name. Dick insonia. grin That's gonna be funny. grin

I didn't touch her. I just found my " dick" in Sonia.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by MrShugar(m): 9:57am On Jan 27, 2019
Technology is advancing daily. Most of the time, it’s iterative: An interesting improvement on a system that came before. But occasionally, new branches of tech develop, offering completely new approaches to solving old problems.We asked members of Forbes Technology Council for their ideas on what they expect will be the next big thing in tech. Here is what they have their eyes on — and 
1. Blockchain
Blockchain is disruptive in the same way quantum computing will be. You can’t ignore the beauty of decentralization and this new way of exchanging information without involving a middleman. Blockchain is not cryptocurrency, and it can fit into enterprises as a part of their enterprise solutions. – Neeraj Sabharwal, Xavient Digital
2. The Internet of Things (IoT)
The next breakthrough will involve the combination of the Internet of Things with other leading technologies like AI and blockchain. Together, these technologies will create transformational value, first in the industrial sector, and then in the consumer market. The results will include improved business decision-making and a better quality of life at work and home. 
3. Healthcare
Advances in healthcare are desperately needed and are being tackled, whether it be through predictive analysis using genomic data, which can permit the prediction of disease and other people’s characteristics, or through novel drug therapeutics such as RNA targeting. The healthcare industry has long been in need of reform and know that tech giants and other companies are entering the sphere to tackle this problem. Gene modification poses the promise to be the next quantum leap in public health protection and that is just the beginning. – Alexandro Pando, Xyrupt
4. Generative Adversarial Networks
Generative adversarial networks are next. This is a way of pitting two neural networks against each other in order to train one of them to produce new things. For example, it may generate realistic-looking pictures. We’re not quite there yet but we will be soon. When that happens, it could conceivably become impossible to separate real information from false. For better or worse, that will be a very big thing. 
5. Human and Artificial Neural Networks
The next thing would be a new way to communicate with these new technologies including AI. It could be some new kind of wearable. It might be some mechanism to fit a receiver inside a body, similar to how pets are microchipped. Basically, something to seamlessly connect humans with the immense power of AI. We already have made some advances in AI. Now we need to make it more utilized.
6. Incremental Improvements
Breakthroughs continue to happen each and every day in the technology world. Recently, Fast Field Programmable Gate Arrays were added to Intel processors which will accelerate extreme real-time IO and machine learning. It is not the massive breakthroughs, but these incremental improvements that lower costs, improve efficiency and drive better customer outcomes. – Danny Allan, Veeam Software
7. Quantum Batteries
The ability to store and retrieve orders of magnitude more portable energy will change the world. Today’s battery technologies have lagged woefully behind other technology advances. When we break through with dense battery technology, such as applying quantum physics and other methods to get beyond simple chemical-based batteries, it will rock our world and solar power will eclipse fossil fuels.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Major Scientifical Discoveries Of 2018 by IamShiningStar(f): 8:51pm On Jan 27, 2019
this is really wow!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Just Killed A Snake In Our Living Room / Pros And Cons Of Installing A CCTV System In Your Homes Or Offices. / Lake Chad Shrinks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.