Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,400 members, 7,826,553 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

These Things Don't Just Add Up !!! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / These Things Don't Just Add Up !!! (535 Views)

Many People Have No Idea These Things Are Happening (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

These Things Don't Just Add Up !!! by urahara(m): 7:58pm On Jan 20, 2019
Despite the fact that Botswana has a gdp per capita of 8443 dollars and Ukraine has a gdp per capita of 3133 dollars , why does Botswana have 16.1 percent of it's people living on less than a dollar a day while Ukraine has 0.1 percent ?

Nigeria has a higher gdp per capita than India , why is practically 45 percent of the Nigerians population extremely poor while that of India is 3.6 percent , despite the fact that Nigeria has a higher gdp per capita.

Cc grandstar , theoldpretender,blue3k, omohayek

1 Like

Re: These Things Don't Just Add Up !!! by Blue3k(m): 8:14pm On Jan 20, 2019
GDP percapita is just an average. Botswana compared to Ukraine has a smaller middle class. Then we have to look at economic indicators like employment and how dynamic private sector is. Next the wealth can be concentrated in certain regions. Look at china for example the good parts of are by the coast on east. The poor people are on the west living in 3rd world poverty.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Things Don't Just Add Up !!! by grandstar(m): 9:24pm On Jan 20, 2019
urahara:
Despite the fact that Botswana has a gdp per capita of 8443 dollars and Ukraine has a gdp per capita of 3133 dollars , why does Botswana have 16.1 percent of it's people living on less than a dollar a day while Ukraine has 0.1 percent ?

Nigeria has a higher gdp per capita than India , why is practically 45 percent of the Nigerians population extremely poor while that of India is 3.6 percent , despite the fact that Nigeria has a higher gdp per capita.

Cc grandstar,theoldpretender,blue3k, omohayek

I haven't fully studied the data but it may boil down to the fact that the former Soviet countries had well educated citizens. So even if they may be poor, they won't be wretched.

Botswanans I doubt are as well educated as the Ukrainaians. Botswana, though an African shining star has done poorly in creating jobs. Despite a buoyant economy during Apartheid days, thousands trooped to work in the dreadful mines in South Africa. This was absurd.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Things Don't Just Add Up !!! by urahara(m): 10:08pm On Jan 20, 2019
grandstar:

I haven't fully studied the data but it may boil down to the fact that the former Soviet countries had well educated citizens. So even if they may be poor, they won't be wretched.

Botswanans I doubt are as well educated as the Ukrainaians. Botswana, though an African shining star has done poorly in creating jobs. Despite a buoyant economy during Apartheid days, thousands trooped to work in the dreadful mines in South Africa. This was absurd.

It still seems very weird and atrocious to me.Again I still wonder why Ukraine with it's gdp per capita of merely 3133 dollars does not look like a typical Africa dystopia. Heck No African country enjoys a living standard up to that of Ukraine , not even Botswana or Namibia is even close , whether in education nor in infrastructure or wages.
Re: These Things Don't Just Add Up !!! by urahara(m): 10:10pm On Jan 20, 2019
grandstar:

Lord !!! Then what's now the point of economic growth with nothing to show for it !!!!!? cry
Re: These Things Don't Just Add Up !!! by grandstar(m): 10:46pm On Jan 20, 2019
urahara:

It still seems very weird and atrocious to me.Again I still wonder why Ukraine with it's gdp per capita of merely 3133 dollars does not look like a typical Africa dystopia. Heck No African country enjoys a living standard up to that of Ukraine , not even Botswana or Namibia is even close , whether in education nor in infrastructure or wages.

I'm sure the living standards in Botswana beats Ukraine hands down by the way though.
Re: These Things Don't Just Add Up !!! by Blue3k(m): 10:58pm On Jan 20, 2019
urahara:

Culture, economic policies and geography matter. I dont think thats true aboutno African country having standard of living of Ukraine. Even sub-Saharan countries like Seychelles and Mauritius are better than Ukraine.

urahara:

Lord !!! Then what's now the point of economic growth with nothing to show for it !!!!!? cry

People escape from crippling poverty and get higher standard of living overall. The issue was people wanted better they're opportunist. Mexico isn't that bad but people would rather be in United states.

1 Like

Re: These Things Don't Just Add Up !!! by urahara(m): 11:14pm On Jan 20, 2019
Blue3k:

Culture, economic policies and geography matter. I dont think thats true aboutno African country having standard of living of Ukraine. Even sub-Saharan countries like Seychelles and Mauritius are better than Ukraine.

People escape from crippling poverty and get higher standard of living overall. The issue was people wanted better they're opportunist. Mexico isn't that bad but people would rather be in United states.

Re: These Things Don't Just Add Up !!! by urahara(m): 11:14pm On Jan 20, 2019
Blue3k:

Apart from these two island countries

1 Like

Re: These Things Don't Just Add Up !!! by Blue3k(m): 11:26pm On Jan 20, 2019
urahara:

Apart from these two island countries

Just Google it if you're actually interested.
Re: These Things Don't Just Add Up !!! by johnHerba(m): 3:58pm On Jan 29, 2019
Re: These Things Don't Just Add Up !!! by johnHerba(m): 3:59pm On Jan 29, 2019
Re: These Things Don't Just Add Up !!! by budaatum: 7:42pm On Jan 30, 2019
Blue3k:

Because US is better! I was in Mexico City for a year and it felt like I was in Nigeria with people living in tremor affected and otherwise abandoned houses, children selling on the streets and rampant kidnappings!
Re: These Things Don't Just Add Up !!! by urahara(m): 12:43am On Jan 31, 2019
budaatum:

Because US is better! I was in Mexico City for a year and it felt like I was in Nigeria with people living in tremor affected and otherwise abandoned houses, children selling on the streets and rampant kidnappings!

grin grin grin , choiiii , Latin America get problem wallahi
Re: These Things Don't Just Add Up !!! by panafrican(m): 2:32am On Jan 31, 2019
urahara:

Cc grandstar , theoldpretender,blue3k, omohayek
It is about distribution of wealth. That is why the question that should be asked is : what is the percentage of the population owning 95 ℅ of the wealth in each country ?
In Nigerua for instance Sani Abacha stole millions of dollars when at the same time nigerian teachers, policemen, nurses, post office employees etc were living on miserable paychecks.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Shocking : US Town Elects Goat As ‘mayor’ / Queen Elizaeth II Turns 93 / Why The Jews Lobby Against US Recognition Of Armenian Genocide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.