Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,099 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:50 AM

Python Professionals Advice Needed - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Python Professionals Advice Needed (1154 Views)

Quiting My Job To Venture Into Tech At 28 - Advice Needed. / Ethical Hacking Vs Software Engineering: Advice Needed / Advice Needed On Which Niit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Python Professionals Advice Needed by Horlaarsco: 3:16am On Jan 22, 2019
Hello.. People av been using this strike period to learn and harpen my python skills but need some help on what aspect to dive...

Professionals please what part of python do you do??
Re: Python Professionals Advice Needed by greatface(m): 8:41am On Jan 22, 2019
It is not about what others do, but where your interest and passion lies.

Web development, ai, desktop or mobile app, machine learning, data mining and analysis, etc. Get to know where passion and ability fits better and pursue your career towards that end. You can switch fields or incorporate more later.
Re: Python Professionals Advice Needed by valzey(m): 10:19am On Jan 22, 2019
I always recommend people to learn a platform and not a language and that begs the question:
What do u want to build ?...web, mobile, desktop, digital circuits..etc
Re: Python Professionals Advice Needed by vezycash(m): 8:32pm On Jan 22, 2019
Focus on apps - how to write android apps with python.
Re: Python Professionals Advice Needed by greatface(m): 10:06am On Jan 23, 2019
vezycash:
Why do you recommend that so boldly?
Re: Python Professionals Advice Needed by CodeLord001(m): 10:09am On Jan 23, 2019
greatface:

Web development, ai, desktop or mobile app, machine learning, data mining and analysis, etc. Get to know where passion and ability fits better and pursue your career towards that end. You can switch fields or incorporate more later.
Am with u bro...
Re: Python Professionals Advice Needed by valzey(m): 10:39am On Jan 23, 2019
vezycash:
Rather than suffer there, if you must build android apps please use java or kotlin. If you prefer cross-platform, try C# with xamarin cos they are all heavily supported by huge communities and company backing.

1 Like

Re: Python Professionals Advice Needed by Kingrapha(m): 2:08pm On Jan 23, 2019
valzey:

Rather than suffer there, if you must build android apps please use java or kotlin. If you prefer cross-platform, try C# with xamarin cos they are all heavily supported by huge communities and company backing.

writing Android apps with python using Kivi is a relatively easy process!
Re: Python Professionals Advice Needed by greatface(m): 2:32pm On Jan 23, 2019
Kingrapha:

writing Android apps with python using Kivi is a relatively easy process!
I was expecting the other guy to state something similar.
Re: Python Professionals Advice Needed by vezycash(m): 5:11pm On Jan 23, 2019
greatface:
Why do you recommend that so boldly?

I assume he's not learning python for fun and hopes to get a programming job later.

I'm quite confident he's not going to get jobs from Nigerian companies to build a python based websites. Unless he plans to freelance for foreigners.

Also, webdesign is a quick sand for new programmers. Server-side languages are pretty straightforward. But front end? Don't get me started. Vanilla javascript, react, vue, jquery, ember, angular, dart, node, npm, babel, cdn, choice of editor - and that's just for interactivity.

CSS is a bit better for choice - mainly bootstrap but there are many options.

In simple terms, there aren't many people who can learn modern webdesign and a server side language simultaneously.

Lastly, hosting. Cheap hosting is not an option with python. I believe, minimum is VPS or cloud hosting providers.

Same with desktop software. Companies building desktop software in Nigeria use either Java or Dotnet - C#

If Ethical hacking is on his todo-list, then Python is the goto language regardless of industry or locale.

That leaves apps by process of elimination. Though as someone below has mentioned, C# with Xmarin might be better for cross-platform app development.

Also, PHP is still the goto language for both Nigerian webdesign shops, eccommerce platforms and freelance.

If you master front-end web design, you'll earn big bucks.

At the end of the day, once you have mastered one programming language, picking up another will be cinch. So my final word - build lots of stuff - 100 if you can. You'll learn faster than just blindly reading a book or following a tutorial step by step.

Btw, contact me if you want practical python video courses or any programming language.
Re: Python Professionals Advice Needed by greatface(m): 6:05pm On Jan 23, 2019
@vezycash, you did justice to my request.

Nigeria web market is well dominated by php and script installers and as you said the best option for python web developer is freelancing or remote/foreign jobs.

Learning frontend development is indeed a challenge because you hardly know where to focus. I recently battled with same challenge of choosing the best option till i decided to stick with one.

I believe kivy is as much cross platform as c# and xmarin.

To issues of costly python web hosting, that doesn't seem like much anylonger following free python web hosting providers and their relatively cheaper starter plans.

1 Like

Re: Python Professionals Advice Needed by Horlaarsco: 6:54pm On Jan 23, 2019
greatface:

i just started really dont know which to even go into
Re: Python Professionals Advice Needed by greatface(m): 12:11am On Jan 24, 2019
Horlaarsco:

i just started really dont know which to even go into
Honestly, you should do a little more research on each field and advice yourself better.

Someone may recommend for you but on the long run, you could get frustrated and wish you knew better. Reason being that programming is majorly driven by passion and not just the income though it boosts things.

If you however want a quick start, python/django is good to get going. However, if you're based in nigeria, be ready to freelance on internet because our local market seems not to favour python web devs.
Re: Python Professionals Advice Needed by nwizy(m): 7:58pm On Jan 25, 2019
I do web development with flask.

(1) (Reply)

Free 30 Udemy Courses On Programming For 2019 / Help! Help! Help! My Sister's Facebook Account Was Hacked / Programming of GSTECH OST To PST Software

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.