Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:33 AM

Why I Find Arrogance In Christianity - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why I Find Arrogance In Christianity (420 Views)

Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? / Why Should I Believe In Christianity? / Misconceptions About The Issue Of Being Born Again In Christianity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Find Arrogance In Christianity by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jan 22, 2019

As someone who left Christianity, I have my share of reservations. More than I can express in this piece. But none greater than the teachings that suggest that Christianity is the sole “true religion.”

I can deal with the exclusivity of Christianity. Every religion has a degree of exclusiveness. But to suggest that 1 out of 4200 religions holds all of the truth and the key to salvation is not only arrogant, it is spiritually narcissistic.

It is spiritually narcissistic to believe that a single religion is applicable for 7 billion people.

It is spiritually narcissistic to believe it is your God-ordained responsibly to project your beliefs upon others in the hopes of conversion.

And it is spiritually narcissistic to believe that you are a part of a group of like-minded individuals who holds the key to humanity’s salvation.

I don’t believe that is salvation. I believe that is teetering the lines of cultism.

And as much as I want to believe that this is just a small minority of Christians, I know that’s not true. I know the average Christian believes that anyone who is not a follower of Christ is doomed for an eternity in Hell. And why wouldn’t they? It is a core belief of Christianity.

“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me”, answered Jesus
I think that’s why I subconsciously struggle maintaining relationships with staunch Christians. That is a dilemma that I have yet to remedy. Who wants to be friends with someone who believes that you’re half-full and hell-bound anyway, right?

Again, our religious views are indicative of geography, culture, and upbringing. I didn’t objectively choose Christianity as my religion of choice. That decision was made for me. And chances are, that decision was made for you too.

As if we didn’t already have enough precursory redlining that determines our quality of air, water, health, safety, and education. We can now add salvation to that list of amenities — since apparently Christianity is a religion of privilege and proximity that not everyone will be afforded. For that reason, I morally object. I don’t romanticize my journey.

I can’t guarantee that your journey will be smooth sails and sunshine. I can’t guarantee that your destination won’t take you to the darkest places of uncertainty. For everything I have gained, I have lost something in exchange. Journeys are funny like that, you know?

And there are even times when I wonder if this was all worth it. That’s the logical person in me who doesn’t allow anything to be for certain. But through all the chaos, all the uncertainty, all of the side eyes, and condemnations to hell… I have found a peace that I have never known before. My peace isn’t absolute. My peace ain’t for everybody. And no, my peace doesn’t guarantee me a mansion in a utopia reserved for people who think like me. My peace is for me. My peace is mine.

There may come a time when you have to find yours. I just hope your peace finds you well.

READ FULL ARTICLE
Re: Why I Find Arrogance In Christianity by tipviewsolution: 2:40pm On Jan 22, 2019
Then the pastor does not understand the Grace of God.
Re: Why I Find Arrogance In Christianity by Niflheim(m): 4:04pm On Jan 22, 2019
They claim that you must give their God money for the nation to prosper!!! Did Dubai give money to their God before they began to prosper?...............

1 Like

Re: Why I Find Arrogance In Christianity by Deicide: 4:11pm On Jan 22, 2019
What about islam?
Re: Why I Find Arrogance In Christianity by Omoluabi16(m): 4:28pm On Jan 22, 2019
It is well with your soul. You have not come to terms with your unbelief. .the struggle is real.

1 Like

Re: Why I Find Arrogance In Christianity by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jan 22, 2019
Omoluabi16:
It is well with your soul. You have not come to terms with your unbelief. .the struggle is real.

what struggle ?

(1) (Reply)

Govt Declares Monday Work Free / A Prayerless Wife Is Problematic Says Mike Bamiloye / If You Don't Believe In Life After Death ,try Read This Story*(picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.