Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,719 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:37 PM

The Nigerian Team List For African Cup Of Nations - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Nigerian Team List For African Cup Of Nations (10430 Views)

Nigerian Team Departs To Participate In Special Olympic Games / Pictures Of The Nigerian Team From 1994 World Cup / Kelechi Iheanacho Makes Manchester City US Tour Team List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Team List For African Cup Of Nations by FOD(m): 3:23pm On Jan 11, 2006
Are u satisfied with those that made the final list? Who would u have loved to be included/excluded? Can u predict the first eleven that'll start? What formation do you think would make our team formidable?

Squad

Goalkeepers:
Dele Aiyenugba (Enyimba),
Austin Ejide (Etoile Sahel, Tunisia),
Vincent Enyeama (Bnei Yehuda Tel Aviv, Israel)

Defenders:
Joseph Enakarhire (Dinamo Moscow, Russia),
Obinna Nwaneri (Esperance, Tunisia),
Chidi Odiah (CSKA Moscow, Russia),
Taye Taiwoo (Olympique Marseille, France),
Joseph Yobo (Everton, England)

Midfielders:
Yusuf Ayila (Dinamo Kyiv, Ukraine),
Sani Kaita (Sparta Rotterdam, Netherlands),
Garba Lawal (Iraklis, Greece),
Paul Obiefule (Viborg, Denmark),
John Obi Mikel (Lyn Oslo, Norway),
Christian Obodo (Udinese, Italy),
Austin Okocha (Bolton Wanderers, England),
Wilson Oruma (Olympique Marseille, France)

Strikers:
Julius Aghahowa (Shakhtar Donetsk, Ukraine),
Nwankwo Kanu (West Bromwich Albion, England),
Stephen Makinwa (Palermo, Italy),
Obafemi Martins (Inter Milan, Italy),
Obinna Nsofor (Chievo Verona, Italy),
Peter Odemwingie (Lille, France),
John Utaka (Stade Rennes, France)
Re: The Nigerian Team List For African Cup Of Nations by vichel(m): 7:38am On Jan 12, 2006
One of the problems i have with this squad is that we are going to the AFC with just five defenders. I guess the coaches have made up their mind to use the 3-5-2 formation.But five defenders...... rolleyes. No suprises, except 4 the fact that the coaches are not really sure if Yobo and Kanu would be available due to injury.
Re: The Nigerian Team List For African Cup Of Nations by abuguy64(m): 7:17pm On Jan 16, 2006
Hmmmm.....Pity no Home based players on the team.I have actually given up on Nigeria soccer especailly at the Senior level.I hope the team surprises us by WINNING the cup.Nothing else will suffice or redeem the Super Eagles for me! I cant forgive them for not qualifying for the world cup. But from all indications-NOTHING seems to have changed in the preparation. Do we really need an NFA?!
Re: The Nigerian Team List For African Cup Of Nations by Littleone(m): 9:07am On Jan 17, 2006
I cannot remember if Dele Aiyenugba has sign for a foreign club. My problem with the list is the sparseness of the defence line - 5 defenders in all. I shudder!Probably Egu has his plans. My worries is also the lack of a good substitute for Ayila (the only defensive midfielder) according to me. But Eagles can always soar on with the squad they have. All the best to Egu and the Eagles of dream.
Re: The Nigerian Team List For African Cup Of Nations by DoubleRevv(m): 8:14am On Jan 20, 2006
Littleone:

I cannot remember if Dele Aiyenugba has sign for a foreign club. My problem with the list is the sparseness of the defence line - 5 defenders in all. I shudder!Probably Egu has his plans. My worries is also the lack of a good substitute for Ayila (the only defensive midfielder) according to me. But Eagles can always soar on with the squad they have. All the best to Egu and the Eagles of dream.
I think Christian Obodo is a Defensive Midfielder. With respect to our strikers, I hope to see the Italian trio and the french duo show their class. However, the number of strikers may cause discord in the team particularly because strikers are the most envious persons in soccer.

question; Is kanu more of a striker than a Midfielder.
Re: The Nigerian Team List For African Cup Of Nations by spikelord(m): 8:07pm On Jan 20, 2006
DoubleRevv:

I think Christian Obodo is a Defensive Midfielder. With respect to our strikers, I hope to see the Italian trio and the french duo show their class. However, the number of strikers may cause discord in the team particularly because strikers are the most envious persons in soccer.

question; Is kanu more of a striker than a Midfielder.

Kanu is an attacking midfielder. Just like Ronaldinho. He is more of a midfielder than a striker!
Re: The Nigerian Team List For African Cup Of Nations by DoubleRevv(m): 11:20am On Jan 21, 2006
Thanks spikelord.

(1) (Reply)

'Genort Rohr Should Live In Nigeria' - Etim Esin, Former Super Eagles Player / Oshoala, Ajibade Among The Best Scoring Duos In Europe’s Top 5 Leagues / Why Are Super Falcons Only Igbos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.