Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,358 members, 7,836,463 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:16 AM

How I Started Maikarto Farm - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How I Started Maikarto Farm (2800 Views)

How I Started My Cartfish Business Without A Pond And With Little Capital / INTERVIEW SECTION: I Started Farming With No Tools, No Capital And Few Seeds / Why I Started Rabbit Farming Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Started Maikarto Farm by MaikartoGroup: 4:43pm On Jan 23, 2019
Hello Agropreneurs,
I'm in the process of venturing into egg production (poultry farming) starting with 1000 point of lay. I intend to use this thread to share my experience, learn from more experienced farmers and motivate other aspiring Nigerian youths to be self employed.
In the mean time, I'll be uploading picture updates. Your advice and criticism will be appreciated.
Welcome to Maikarto Farm!

Ps:
It beats my imagination to think that some people on this platform feel that after hustling for 3 solid years to raise business capital in this harsh economy, I'll just jump into a business i know nothing about.

It might interest you to know that aside the books I've read about poultry farming, i also have a vet doctor who i consult. Aside my years of experience working in a poultry farm, i also have friends (that i learn from them) who are big poultry farmers. Infact, one of them has a farm with a capacity of 12,000 laying birds.

I'm aware that we have experienced poultry farmers on this platform but their number is nothing compared to the number of internet farmers whose mission here is to sell ebooks.

Before you think that using 1000 blocks on this structure is a waste of money, take a second to think about the safety/security of my birds. If you are familiar with the weather in Plateau state, you guys will understand that heat stress is the least of my concerns right now.

1 Like

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by MaikartoGroup: 5:06pm On Jan 23, 2019
Bought 1000 units of 6 inches building blocks at the cost of N120 each.
Preparations are currently on top gear for the construction work to start asap. Stay tuned for updates!

2 Likes

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by Neduzze5(m): 5:17pm On Jan 23, 2019
MaikartoGroup:
Bought 1000 units of 6 inches building blocks at the cost of N120 each.

Following!!

1 Like

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by Meajor(m): 5:45pm On Jan 23, 2019
Following

1 Like

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by stiles009(m): 7:13pm On Jan 23, 2019
Following

1 Like

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by okoroemeka(m): 9:32pm On Jan 23, 2019
MaikartoGroup:
Hello Agropreneurs,
I'm in the process of venturing into egg production (poultry farming) starting with 1000 point of lay. I intend to use this thread to share my experience, learn from more experienced farmers and motivate other aspiring Nigerian youths to be self employed.
In the mean time, I'll be uploading picture updates. Your advice and criticism will be appreciated.
Welcome to Maikarto Farm!
don't spend too much money on structures,you can use 2 planks(1 feet) width to cover the side after doing the wood support and roofing with cheap Cameroon or used aluminium sheets, it will give u a height of 2 feet to increase airflow and ventilation, then the remaining space will be covered with wire gauze,the profit ratio is not soon much to throw money in building elaborate structures,you can start with a simple cost cutting turn key solution to free up funds for feeding the birds,assuming you get a 14-15 weeks pol birds,you still need to feed them for another 6-7 weeks before they start 60-70% production, which is almost 220 bags of grower or layer mash,
Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by okoroemeka(m): 9:42pm On Jan 23, 2019
we built a farm that housed 2000 deep litter black layers without using a single block,that block work will end up costing more than 200,000-250,000k,will you can use 50,000k hard wood plank to do the job,I have even been to a farm that used only strong wire gauze to do the sides,layer need excess ventilation any thing that hinder airflow will result in mortality during hot periods.

1 Like

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by okoroemeka(m): 9:49pm On Jan 23, 2019
build your poultry house with the Gabe roof facing east so the sun will raise and ride on top of the roof to set in the west and not penetrate the sides,also plant plantain,bananas that grows fast by the sides to provide shed and cool the heat,and whatever they say about the pol birds revaccinated them especially fowl pox and Newcastle.

1 Like

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by okoroemeka(m): 9:59pm On Jan 23, 2019
and lastly try and find that thread about a man that spent 12 million to build a poultry farm that included land,house,borehole,workers quarters,packing store and finally the man bought 2000 birds and cannot feed it,the farm is now for sale,the profit margin is not fantastic,u need strict biosecurity and careful management.

2 Likes

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by sehisagro: 10:05pm On Jan 23, 2019
Get quality feed from SEHIS AGRO RESOURCES, Port Harcourt.
We are involved in the formulation of quality poultry and livestock feed. We also sell raw materials for feed formulation.
You can reach us on 09022541225
Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by okoroemeka(m): 10:14pm On Jan 23, 2019
sehisagro:
We are involved in the formulation of quality poultry and livestock feed. We also sell raw materials for feed formulation.
how much do u sell growerlayer mash
Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by Neduzze5(m): 6:43am On Jan 24, 2019
sehisagro:

Where's your location in PH?
Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by MaikartoGroup: 10:01pm On Jan 24, 2019
Thanks for your comments guys, i really appreciate. Meanwhile, Work started earlier today, pen dimension is 23 x 45 ft

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by MaikartoGroup: 10:04pm On Jan 24, 2019
Bought a total of two pickup load of gravels at the cost of N6,000 each to be used for mixing concrete for foundation and lintal. The open sides of the Pen facing NS direction to enhance ventilation

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by MaikartoGroup: 10:14pm On Jan 24, 2019
Work just began

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by MaikartoGroup: 10:15pm On Jan 24, 2019
Work in progress

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by MaikartoGroup: 10:19pm On Jan 24, 2019
The side facing NS was built 4 layers of blocks above the ground to prevent water from entering the pen and for proper ventilation while the side facing NE will be built to the roof level to protect the birds from exposure to direct sun rays

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by MaikartoGroup: 10:27pm On Jan 24, 2019
okoroemeka:
build your poultry house with the Gabe roof facing east so the sun will raise and ride on top of the roof to set in the west and not penetrate the sides,also plant plantain,bananas that grows fast by the sides to provide shed and cool the heat,and whatever they say about the pol birds revaccinated them especially fowl pox and Newcastle.
thank you sir. points are noted boss!
Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by YESpParticipant: 11:16pm On Jan 25, 2019
MaikartoGroup:
thank you sir.your points are noted boss!

1 Like

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by YESpParticipant: 11:18pm On Jan 25, 2019
[quote author=MaikartoGroup post=75082636]
Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by okoroemeka(m): 4:02am On Jan 26, 2019
MaikartoGroup:
The side facing NS was built 4 layers of blocks above the ground to prevent water from entering the pen and for proper ventilation while the side facing NE will be built to the roof level to protect the birds from exposure to direct sun rays
if u put battery cage in that house you will see heat based mortality,even deep litter house block height max 3 coaches, I will send pics of our farm house to illustrate,heat is the biggest mortality challenge we have so the fight start from the beginning.

2 Likes

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by MaikartoGroup: 6:31am On Jan 26, 2019
okoroemeka:
if u put battery cage in that house you will see heat based mortality,even deep litter house block height max 3 coaches, I will send pics of our farm house to illustrate,heat is the biggest mortality challenge we have so the fight start from the beginning.
I'll be expecting the pictures
Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by MaikartoGroup: 10:45am On Jan 26, 2019
The supporting planks used for the construction of lintal yesterday has just been removed this morning. Hopefully the construction work will ne completed before twilight.

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by Brineharry: 11:23am On Jan 26, 2019
Hello sir.. I wonder d consultant that gave you this advice on pen construction... D max block level is 3 all round and the building should be high to help mitigate heat stress... Is still very early to correct.. Find a better consultant that will help u build a good pen to avoid had I know ...

1 Like

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by noeloge82(m): 5:13pm On Jan 26, 2019
MaikartoGroup:
The supporting planks used for the construction of lintal yesterday has just been removed this morning. Hopefully the construction work will ne completed before twilight.

Pls is this construction for store or d real pen, if it's your poultry house am afraid putting birds here is easy way to very very high mortality
Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by kripen(m): 5:42pm On Jan 26, 2019
Guy the masters are advising you on ventilation
Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by okoroemeka(m): 7:43pm On Jan 26, 2019
my brother stop that now not to waste material and go to big poultry. farms and see how they build there own,even pig will not. be happy in the place talk less of chicken,I will bring pics tomorrow
Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by okoroemeka(m): 7:53pm On Jan 26, 2019
Even one block coach is good,it should be open like this all round,just put very high pillars and roof,use mesh. To. Cover remained sides

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by bravozulu: 5:27am On Jan 28, 2019
okoroemeka:
my brother stop that now not to waste material and go to big poultry. farms and see how they build there own,even pig will not. be happy in the place talk less of chicken,I will bring pics tomorrow
The guy no dey hear word to learn!!!
Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by kingharzy: 8:14am On Jan 28, 2019
undecided

My mentor Okoroemeka is here, let me sit and learn. waiting for ass. prof. Emmachille

1 Like

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by MaikartoGroup: 3:37pm On Jan 28, 2019
Cc: okoroemeka, bravozulu, noeloge82,

The pen floor is going to cover the first layer of block leaving just three course. Pls note that plateau state isn't as hot as most states in the country so heat stress is going to be the least of my worries.

However, i consulted my mentor: a very experienced poultry farmer whose experience spans over 2 decades, she suggested i incorporate a ceiling (or improvise with cartons) in the pen which will slow down the rusting of my roofing sheets as a result of contact with amonia gas emitted from poultry droppings and also make the micro climate of the Pen more conducive for the birds.

I really appreciate your concern guys. God bless you!!

1 Like

Re: How I Started Maikarto Farm by MaikartoGroup: 3:40pm On Jan 28, 2019
kripen:
Guy the masters are advising you on ventilation
who am i not to heed to the words of the masters? grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Propagate/grow Garlic At Home / Healthy Day Old Chicks(foreign/local Turkey,bolier , Pullet And Cockerels) / Feasibility Report For Cassava Processing Subsidised By ACF Now N12,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.