Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:38 AM

What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? (12141 Views)

How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide / A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup / Which Do You Prefer Amala On The Right Hand Side,soup On The Left Or Vice Versa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by paule: 12:58pm On Aug 16, 2010
Hi, my siblings and I have been arguing this for years (we grew up eating from the same bowls but now every person is on his/her own), please should soup be position left or right, i choose left but some say it should be right, which position is the best? Secondly is it civilised to use cutlery to eat garri/amala/akpu/fufu, since they are native food and our fore-fathers didn't use them?
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by Fhemmmy: 2:32pm On Aug 16, 2010
Never knew stew has a position oh
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by paule: 2:44pm On Aug 16, 2010
Please who knows?
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by Geolalisa(f): 4:49pm On Aug 16, 2010
Left
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by tpiah: 6:25pm On Aug 16, 2010
in front and centrally placed.

if in a separate dish from the main food, then to the right.

my opinion.
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by yme1(f): 9:31pm On Aug 16, 2010
right

because you cut the eba/pounded yam and dip it in the soup
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by whiteroses(f): 12:23am On Aug 17, 2010
the way your brain is working its best you place it on "floor"
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by kieryn(f): 1:36am On Aug 17, 2010
It should be position in front of me
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by Fhemmmy: 1:40pm On Aug 17, 2010
This thread surely makes me laff . . . position of a stew.
While some people are looking for food to eat, some are worried about where to place the stew . . . . . Lol

1 Like

Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by DeepSoul(f): 5:24pm On Aug 17, 2010
If you are left handed, it should be placed on the left.

because I'm right-handed, I place it on the right. The "logic" is the plate of soup is more active than that of the eba.

Proximity is an important factor grin
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Aug 17, 2010
I would say right ( if you are right handed)
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by paule: 10:44am On Aug 18, 2010
I would say right ( if you are right handed)

If you are left handed, it should be placed on the left.

So it now depends on the hand you use, you mean no standard position?
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by tpiah: 7:43pm On Aug 18, 2010
i think it should be on the right.

same way cutlery has to be arranged in a specific order.
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by tpiah: 7:59pm On Aug 18, 2010
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by mylove4him(f): 7:26am On Aug 19, 2010
I never knew until my father taught me how to serve. He says the soup must be in the left hand side while eba in the right hand side. I have grown up to feel it is the most comfortable way. Let me analyze the situation. If you place the soup in your right, you would have to cross over the soup to cut your eba if you are right handed. Since eba is usually the first thing you pick when you want to eat, I presume it should be placed at your right and soup left. These rule applies to right handed people only and vice versa.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by tpiah: 4:28pm On Aug 19, 2010
^^hmm, well of course you should do what's comfortable for you.

but say, by some fluke of chance, the Queen is at a dinner party where eba or some other swallow is served. There are 100 people seated and you're the planner.

all soup servings will be on the left while the plates of eba will be on the right.

if you place your soup on the left, then what hand do you drink water with?
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by pocketndry: 6:36am On Jan 02, 2011
right
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by InkedNerd(f): 10:07am On Jan 02, 2011
@OP: I think its ok to position it however you see fit.

tpiah:

^^hmm, well of course you should do what's comfortable for you.

but say, by some fluke of chance, the Queen is at a dinner party where eba or some other swallow is served. There are 100 people seated and you're the planner.

all soup servings will be on the left while the plates of eba will be on the right.

if you place your soup on the left, then what hand do you drink water with?

I don't think it should matter so much what side its one. I think it should be to the persons discretion, especially if the person is someone who eats with their left or both hands.
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by bijelee(m): 7:03pm On Jan 03, 2011
IMO, I think it should be placed on the left, by way of analysis, our elbows bend outwards, meanin the hands curve inwards, so for right handed peeps, it means most actions from hand to mouth is kind of right to center kind of, So since we cut the solid first, it should be on the right then along the same way to the mouth u scoop n then upload,
Funny though, i think anything goes but am used to placin the soup by my left.
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by medjai(m): 7:12am On Jan 04, 2011
Left
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jan 04, 2011
If you are right-handed person,then it should be in your righ and if you are left-handed it should be in your left. Shikena!

THREAD LOCKED/CLOSED.
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by slap1(m): 2:51pm On Jan 05, 2011
My dad said it should be on the left, I've grown with it.
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by Cosmass(f): 5:00pm On Jan 05, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Never knew stew has a position oh

Fhemmmy:

While some people are looking for food to eat, some are worried about where to place the stew . . . . . Lol

LOL
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by nwangap(f): 9:18pm On Jan 15, 2011
if you are serving somebody and you don't want to look stupid, pls place the soup on the left and the eba on the right. this is the only civilized and acceptable way of serving. but if you are serving yourself, u can choose any position but make sure you not in public!
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by tpia6: 12:44am On Jan 17, 2011
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by ifyalways(f): 8:50am On Jan 17, 2011
Funny thread.If i have guests i always place soups at the left but when im eating with my family,my soup has no position,it goes from right to left till it leaves the table and end up in my "left hand" for easy access
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by treylaw: 12:29pm On Jan 17, 2011
adjacent
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by ifyalways(f): 6:49pm On Jan 17, 2011
treylaw:

adjacent
. . .To what?water,eba
Re: What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? by Holluwhakemmy(f): 9:29pm On Oct 12, 2021
Fhemmmy:
it should be right lol

(1) (Reply)

Rat Meat Passed-off As Lamb In China / Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? / Plantain Fufu?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.