Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,712 members, 7,865,813 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 06:33 AM

Onnoghen: Nigeria Bar Association Reacts To CJN's Suspension - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onnoghen: Nigeria Bar Association Reacts To CJN's Suspension (653 Views)

Nigerian Bar Association Reacts To Raid On Justice Odili's Home / Suspension Of Twitter: Nigerian Bar Association Reacts / Saraki Reacts To CJN Onnoghen Suspension, Reveals Next Line Of Action (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onnoghen: Nigeria Bar Association Reacts To CJN's Suspension by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jan 25, 2019
Following the suspension of Walter Onnoghen, Nigeria Bar Association has rejected President Buhari's move to trample upon the Judiciary.

In a letter dated 25th January, 2019 and signed by the President of NBA Paul Usoro (SAN), the Body tagged Buhari's actions as a "Coup Against The Nigerian Judiciary And A Suspension Of The Constitution".

It reads,
1. The news media has been awash this evening with the news of the purported suspension of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Honorable Mr. Justice Walter S C Onnoghen, GCON by President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR and the swearing in of Hon Justice Ibrahim Tanko Mohammed as the acting Chief Justice of Nigeria. We are told that this was pursuant to an Ex-Parte Order that was issued by the Code of Conduct Tribunal on Wednesday, 23 January 2019.

2. The Nigerian Bar Association unequivocally rejects and condemns this attempted coup against the Nigerian Judiciary and evident suspension of the Nigerian Constitution by the Executive arm of the Federal Government. The action of the Executive portends a slide into anarchy and complete deconstruction of the Rule of Law and due process.
It amounts to an absolute breach of the Constitution and the usurpation of the powers of the Senate and the Nigerian Judicial Council.

3. It is unfortunate that the Executive Branch of Government purports to suspend the CJN on the basis of an alleged ex-parte order of the Code of Conduct Tribunal – the same Tribunal that, to the knowledge of the Executive, had, only the previous day, Tuesday, 22 January 2019 adjourned its proceedings to Monday, 28 January 2019 and has before it a Motion on Notice that is yet to be argued, seeking the same reliefs as were contained in the purported ex-parte application, to wit, the suspension of the CJN, amongst others.

We call on the Federal Government to avert the looming constitutional crisis precipitated by its ill-advised action. In particular, the Nigerian Bar Association demands the reversal of the purported suspension of Honorable Mr. Justice Walter S C Onnoghen, GCON.
We also call on the National Assembly to assert its constitutional authority and powers and prevent this slide into chaos and erosion of the Rule of Law.

1 Share

Re: Onnoghen: Nigeria Bar Association Reacts To CJN's Suspension by Binikingdowm: 8:45pm On Jan 25, 2019
Buhari will die in Jesus name

1 Like

Re: Onnoghen: Nigeria Bar Association Reacts To CJN's Suspension by magoo10(m): 8:49pm On Jan 25, 2019
The courts will reject it also
Buhari is on his own
Disgrace fall on him

1 Like

Re: Onnoghen: Nigeria Bar Association Reacts To CJN's Suspension by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jan 25, 2019
God save NIGERIA from total collapse under a tyrant.

Re: Onnoghen: Nigeria Bar Association Reacts To CJN's Suspension by seunmsg(m): 9:02pm On Jan 25, 2019
The crooked NBA president who is on trial for money laundering can go to the appeal court on behalf of Onnoghen. Until the appeal court sets aside the order of the CCT, Onnoghen remains suspended.

2 Likes

Re: Onnoghen: Nigeria Bar Association Reacts To CJN's Suspension by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jan 25, 2019
seunmsg:
The crooked NBA president who is on trial for money laundering can go to the appeal court on behalf of Onnoghen. Until the appeal court sets aside the order of the CCT, Onnoghen remains suspended.

Wanted to comment. As i read ur comment, you just spoke my mind exactly.
Now you understand why Ameachi said this whole country is just too corrupt. We should just kill everyone and start all over

1 Like

Re: Onnoghen: Nigeria Bar Association Reacts To CJN's Suspension by seunmsg(m): 9:47pm On Jan 25, 2019
Westmorland:

Wanted to comment. As i read ur comment, you just spoke my mind exactly.
Now you understand why Ameachi said this whole country is just too corrupt. We should just kill everyone and start all over

Crooks have hold this country down for so long. This is the time to rescue our country from them. Personally, I can live with a crooked minister or president. However, I can stand a corrupt and partisan judge not to talk of the CJN. The head of the Supreme Court is next to God in Nigeria. Once he rules, you can only appeal to God through prayers and for someone like me who doesn’t even believe in prayers, you can imagine how devastated I can become when justice is miscarried. A partisan and crooked CJN is inimical to natural justice and fairness.

2 Likes

Re: Onnoghen: Nigeria Bar Association Reacts To CJN's Suspension by teufelein(f): 10:16pm On Jan 25, 2019
Unfortunately...

We had profiled a lot of issues based on available data, and employing the flaws of the 1999 Constitution. At every single turn, we got people, especially Lawyers, that were used to convince people we were just rabble rousers. We pleaded that the most important mission was to activate Ohaneze, Afenifere, NDSDM, and other sociocultural groups to engage the national assembly, governors who and all others to fight for constitutional discussions and to change the electoral system. And the Constitution be discarded.

Every single step of the way, we were fought. They called us names, our ranks were decimated. No one listened. We told them there were no consequences in the Constitution for breaches by a president, we were told to go to blazes. We told them there were loopholes and weaknesses that could be used to dismiss a CJN even if unethical, they told us we were not learned!
While they studied the academic version of the 1999 Constitution, we studied the History of that Constitution and understood its spirit...an Evil Spirit!

Now, we are here...and the dye is cast. The president has declared a war on the Judiciary, and he has won already. Some of our learned friends are still quoting academic law on face value for goodness sake! What in tarnation is the matter with us?
Be rest assured, that a president that could remove a Chief Judge and replace with a Sharia Judge without recourse to anyone would announce himself winner of any election! All the indices were there but people chose to be mischievous with the Law!
Here we are! Argue all you want, but come back on February 17th in the morning and let's wail together! You give legitimacy to illegality by your actions! Go on...go and remove him at the polls as people have convinced you. Keep deceiving yourselves!
We have been fighting the wrong battles! We've been wailing for years! For goodness sake, listen for once! Nigeria is in deep trouble! Can't you see? Can't you

Dear Lord, please I've tried...I've really tried. No one is listening! Make them see for themselves, please Lord. Please...�
Re: Onnoghen: Nigeria Bar Association Reacts To CJN's Suspension by Kutis2030(m): 10:32pm On Jan 25, 2019
Binikingdowm:
will u leave forever?

1 Like

Re: Onnoghen: Nigeria Bar Association Reacts To CJN's Suspension by godox2(m): 11:53pm On Jan 25, 2019
Binikingdowm:

This one no be prayer, because everybody must die one day, including you, myself, Buhari,Atiku all of us.
Pls change prayer point or meet Oyedepo “the gate keeper” to open the gate of prayer point not gate of hell oooooo!
Re: Onnoghen: Nigeria Bar Association Reacts To CJN's Suspension by justflow1(m): 12:28am On Jan 26, 2019
That is why politics is a dirty game
when involved in politics at every level, one must learn how to avoid skeletons at all cost, or *If there must be skeleton* in the closet, then the entire closet should b buried very deeply.
And the question i will leave you with is,

Why must there be skeletons atall?

And why must the southerners closet which is ladened with skeletons of all kinds get exposed every blessed time?

And finally why must the southerners fall prey on a recurring decimal?

(1) (Reply)

Why I Dumped PDP For President Buhari And APC. - Ditan Okupe / Kwara: Ndigbo, Hausa, Fulani Communities, Others Pledge Allegiance To Saraki / Pmb In Lagos. Pmb Commissions Cancer Treatment Center @ Luth. Pictures.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.