Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,269 members, 7,815,451 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension (33567 Views)

Sheikh Gumi To CJN: Leave Sharia Alone, Talk About Restructuring / Femi Falana Reacts To CJN Onnoghen Suspension / Saraki Reacts To CJN Onnoghen Suspension, Reveals Next Line Of Action (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by Mrpojj(m): 6:50am On Jan 26, 2019
apikipiki1:
Swearing in another Notherner has now confirmed we 're in federal republic of northern Nigeria.
Apart from rigging, I wonder the kind of magic APC want to use to win election.
l

Without rigging APC can't win na
They jus wanna write result

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by Ugochukw15: 6:52am On Jan 26, 2019
abogjohn:
We are so corrupt in Nigeria that we don’t know what is good for us
you are making a vague statement. What is good for us according to you?.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by Mrpojj(m): 6:52am On Jan 26, 2019
cutesmilez:
This is not about PDP or APC!!!! This is about a bad precedence for our democracy!. Not everything is political...... Atlist even if you are an ardent supporter of a particular party, at list u should think for once! THINK!!!!

This is clearly anti Democracy. Wether PDP or APC or any party u belong to.... This isn't right in all ramification!!!!

My brother that has been my biggest fear
Bad precedence
Cos in this regime that's jus wat they have been doing

1 Like

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by phase1: 7:12am On Jan 26, 2019
Saraki should reconvene the national assembly like a bold lion and serve the dullard impeachment notice. He is destroying the constitution that he swore to uphold. Kick out the dullard.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by beepositive(m): 7:14am On Jan 26, 2019
oboy81:
grin
You you did not insult Yourself? grin

Abeg Of you Get Fresh Union Bank Domiciliary Dollar Acc "VISA" CARD DEY come pm
Let's make Money forget all this Nonsense

How u wan make money from it
Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by tk4rd: 7:31am On Jan 26, 2019
1. The Executive..
2. The Legislative..
3. The Judiciary..
______
Can anybody in No.1 sack or suspend or expel anybody in No.2 or in No.3 with immediate effect under any circumstances??
(If there are circumstances for such, what are they? And what are the procedures?)
___
Can anybody in No.2 or in No.3 sack or suspend or expel anybody from any of the other arms of government with immediate effect under any circumstances?
(If there are circumstances for such, what are they? And what are the procedures?)

1 Like

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by TruthinAction: 7:37am On Jan 26, 2019
Anambralstson:
Buhari had on Friday suspended Onnoghen and immediately appointed Tanko Mohammed as acting CJN.
Explaining his reason, the President said he suspended Onnoghen, following an order from the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT, asking him to wield the big stick.
In a statement forwarded to DAILY POST, Agbakoba made it clear that Buhari’s action “is the most brazen assault on Nigeria’s constitutional history” and criticized Mohammed for accepting to be sworn in.
“President Muhammadu Buhari’s suspension of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, is the most brazen assault on Nigeria`s constitutional history.
“The President has obviously not listened to the advice of the Hon. Attorney General of the Federation or the Attorney General of the Federation has misadvised him or both.
“President Buhari claims that the suspension of the Chief Justice Onnoghen is pending the determination of the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT. This is simply not true. The CCT itself adjourned proceedings in respect of Justice Onnoghen`s matter in order to determine if it had jurisdiction to try Justice Onnoghen. The President`s decision contravenes the Ruling of the CCT.
“There are at least six (6) pending cases in superior courts of Nigeria and one in the Court of Appeal. All these cases ruled that Justice Onnoghen should remain in office pending when all cases against him are resolved. These Rulings bind the President of Nigeria. In any case Section 292 of the 1999 Constitution of Nigeria sets out the procedure for removing or suspending the Chief Justice of Nigeria. The power to suspend or remove the Chief Justice of Nigeria vests in the Senate side of the National Assembly.
“For all these reasons the purported suspension of Chief Justice Onnoghen is the gravest insult to Nigerian constitution in history. It is difficult to understand how President Buhari will expect my vote of confidence in the February polls if he wantonly denigrates and desecrates our Constitution.
“I call on all Nigerians to take the strongest possible view of the President`s conduct. I am shocked that Mr. Justice Mohammed Tanko would have offered himself to be sworn in as the Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria.
“I call on the Chief Justice of Nigeria to refuse to be pushed out of office. The NBA must rise to resist this assault to our constitution.
Our judges must rise; Civil Society Organizations must rise. This is potentially the beginning of our descent into constitutional anarchy.”

http://dailypost.ng/2019/01/25/onnoghen-buhari-insulted-constitution-agbakoba-reacts-cjns-suspension/

This is corruption at the highest level. And he claims to be fighting corruption.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by Glink2018(m): 7:41am On Jan 26, 2019
Godjone:
Saraki and the rest should commence proceedings for the immediate impeachment of this bad luck. In doing that, they should copy the international community and the US
Nah so Dem dey impech president?

It's obvious that you are a learner....

ASUU strike has brasenly affected your thinking faculty

1 Like

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by TruthinAction: 7:42am On Jan 26, 2019
apikipiki1:
Swearing in another Notherner has now confirmed we 're in federal republic of northern Nigeria.
Apart from rigging, I wonder the kind of magic APC want to use to win election.

It is part of the Islamization process which some of us do not agree. When he comes back, a strong Jihad will be launched on the Christian community and Nigeria will be declared an Islamic nation. Mark this post. They are setting the stage for it by appointing northerners in every sensitive positions. Soldiers from the south are sent to fight Boko Haram and they kill them to reduce their numbers. When the fight begins, we don't have numbers and weapons to fight. May God save Nigeria.
Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by TruthinAction: 7:44am On Jan 26, 2019
oladele00:
Buhari will continue to fish out corrupt personalities out of our system.. Before the 2023 election, he would have been able to fish out all corrupt persons in Nigeria. God bless PMB

You know you are dishonest to your teeth. God will judge you and your APC fraud.
Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by Kingdelex(m): 8:02am On Jan 26, 2019
this is just another way of Riging our election.....
because if PDP or any other party win this election
and Apc the Jagaban rig it....
then to court......
thank God buhari done appoint another northerner To Help him in his mission......

HMMMMMMM let me hide

buhari will die if he rig this election
Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by Geometrix(m): 8:08am On Jan 26, 2019
Stalwert:
I was like grin grin grin your corrupt cjn that forgot the law did not insult the Constitution? You losers must change whether you like it or not.

me I was like what was your view and input when your president refused to submit his waec certificate as a prerequisite for contesting am election obviously because he doesn't have one. Instead he lied on oath that the waec certificate Was with the military

1 Like

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by solomon201(m): 8:11am On Jan 26, 2019
cutesmilez:
This is not about PDP or APC!!!! This is about a bad precedence for our democracy!. Not everything is political...... Atlist even if you are an ardent supporter of a particular party, at list u should think for once! THINK!!!!

This is clearly anti Democracy. Wether PDP or APC or any party u belong to.... This isn't right in all ramification!!!!

Very well said. It's sad how most of our fellow country men think. This country is forever messed up as long as we have people who cannot think. Sad very sad

1 Like

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by solomon201(m): 8:16am On Jan 26, 2019
Deapexboy:
Did he traveled when GEJ sacked President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Ayo Isa Salami?

Why are you mentioning GEJ? You should be concerned if this action is right or not. So if GEJ did horrible things means Buhari is allowed to do same? What kind of thinking is this?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by oboy81: 8:55am On Jan 26, 2019
Softness147:
h

You get the Aza?
I need Card Union Bank Domiciliary Dollar Acc WITH LIVE VISA CARD
Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by ClearFlair: 8:57am On Jan 26, 2019
Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by jamace(m): 9:02am On Jan 26, 2019
Can Buhari suspend/remove the Senate President? NO. Therefore, Buhari can not suspend or remove the CJN.

What Buhari could have done to be on the part of law was to bring up the criminal allegations against the CJN before the NJC and the NASS, and then lobby the NJC and the NASS to vote for CJN removal/suspension.

Buhari is wrong!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by openmine(m): 10:30am On Jan 26, 2019
Jesusloveyou:
lawal was removed, onnogen should also be remove.
Please stop jumping into issues when you don't know what is being discussed!
since 2017,efcc has been preparing a robust prosecution team for babachair lawal and yet this same man is comfortably walking in and out of aso rock!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by deomelo: 10:32am On Jan 26, 2019
[s]
adonainana:

Young man your answer is Yes,GEJ was right to sack and remove SLS as CBN governor. In this instant case, Section 292 provides for the due process of removing a judicial officer, which is a recommendation of the NJC and a 2/3 vote by the senate. Those who drafted the constitution knew one day someone like Buhari will come to power and try to usurp the right of either the legislature or the judiciary hence the rigid process of first recommendation by the NJC, then the whole SENATE must vote to remove him.

Anything else apart from this is null, void, arbitrary, a sign of a deliberate an obvious disregard for the provisions of the constitution. The constitution is there for a reason, just like the immunity if gives Governors and Deputy Governors via section 308 from criminal and civil prosecution.

The constitution is supreme and is what we live and die for. You cant ignore or disregard it
[/s]

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by adonainana: 10:38am On Jan 26, 2019
deomelo:
[s][/s]

You people amaze me on this nairaland, did this landmark case focus on the activities of a judicial officer, i repeat to you now autoritatively just like how you cant arrest a sitting governor and prosecute him, you can try any judicial officer in any court of law unleas he has been recomended by the NJC on such

1 Like

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by eodavids(m): 10:51am On Jan 26, 2019
cutesmilez:

I concur.

If denigration of our constitution by Buhari is right because Buhari is president today, them it will be right for next president of Nigeria after Buhari, to set aside the provision of the constitution and do whatever he wishes. And so it shall continue, if any president desires a thing, whether constitutional or not, he will proceed to have his way legally or illegally.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by Michealee: 10:54am On Jan 26, 2019
DM if interested in working on freelancing websites. I'm here for your accounts opening! Contact me on whatsapp! And get your account now!. 08147528038!
Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by integrity16(m): 11:51am On Jan 26, 2019
deboysben:
All we need is action

Not just to only condemn which will later die down

National assembly should reconvene and serve buhari an impeachment notice

Read section 11 of the Interpretation Act:

11. (1) Where an enactment confers a power to appoint a person either to an office or to exercise any functions, whether for a specified period or not, the power includes-

(a) power to appoint a person by name or to appoint the holder from time to time of a particular office;

(b) power to remove or suspend him;

(c) power, exercisable in the manner and subject to the limitations and conditions (if any) applicable to the power to appoint,-

(i) to reappoint or reinstate him,

(ii) to appoint a person to act in his place, either generally or in regard to specified functions, during such time as is considered expedient by the authority in whom the power of appointment in question is vested.
Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by mobaking: 11:55am On Jan 26, 2019
Which due process are u all yapping?.A cjn that suspended sitting of the NJC indefinitely.The entire judiciary is stinking that is why a lawyer will include cost of inducements in his legal fees.Hypocrites everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by integrity16(m): 11:59am On Jan 26, 2019
jamace:
Can Buhari suspend/remove the Senate President? NO. Therefore, Buhari can not suspend or remove the CJN.

What Buhari could have done to be on the part of law was to bring up the criminal allegations against the CJN before the NJC and the NASS, and then lobby the NJC and the NASS to vote for CJN removal/suspension.

Buhari is wrong!

Read the Interpretation Act:

11. (1) Where an enactment confers a power to appoint a person either to an office or to exercise any functions, whether for a specified period or not, the power includes-

(a) power to appoint a person by name or to appoint the holder from time to time of a particular office;

(c) power, exercisable in the manner and subject to the limitations and conditions (if any) applicable to the power to appoint,-

(ii) to appoint a person to act in his place, either generally or in regard to specified functions, during such time as is considered expedient by the authority in whom the power of appointment in question is vested.

Read the full text of the Interpretation Act here:
http://www.nigeria-law.org/Interpretation%20Act.htm
Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by integrity16(m): 12:01pm On Jan 26, 2019
SalamRushdie:

there is actually no need for action because in reality Buharis action is nothing but a null and void joke

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by integrity16(m): 12:02pm On Jan 26, 2019
khingTony:
Buhari as the president is an Insult to the constitution, Nigeria and Africa

But, we are familiar with the insults

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by integrity16(m): 12:03pm On Jan 26, 2019
awelekiti:
Buhari has kicked the constitution in the face. A military in a Civilian Babariga....and many illiterates would still hail him on this irresponsible act. Shame!

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by integrity16(m): 12:04pm On Jan 26, 2019
BENARI:
I see serious crises looming. You all are here speaking grammar.

If this decision is not reversed, remind me I said this time next week when the crude oil output drops to 1m barrel.

War might just be on the horizon.

I want to believe Buhari and his cabal are biting their fingers watching to see what the consequence of this move will be with a view to reversing it if it gets to hot.
But this might be the moment Buhari nailed his own coffin.

I fear for our safety

Re: Buhari Has Insulted The Constitution – Agbakoba Reacts To Cjn’s Suspension by integrity16(m): 12:05pm On Jan 26, 2019
Creamz:

Even if he forgot to declare all his asset, it doesn't still give the president the right to equally break the law by taking powers on his own hands.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Xenophobic Attacks: Buhari, Osinbajo And Onyeama Meet On Way Forward (Photos) / Boko Haram Invades Borno, Destroys Telecom Mast, Other Facilities / Boko Haram Attacks Geidam In Yobe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.