Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,868 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs (16648 Views)

Betta Edu's Suspension A Welcome Development - Peter Obi / Saraki Reacts To CJN Onnoghen Suspension, Reveals Next Line Of Action / Embattled Justice Onnoghen To Be Replaced By Justice Tanko Ibrahim Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by Kusetic(m): 9:47am On Jan 26, 2019
HigherEd:

Your brain is dysfunctional. According to Nigerian law there is no provision for the suspension of a CJN by any court in the land. He can only be removed by an impeachment initiated by NJC, Senate and Presidency. No court can effect the suspension of the CJN just like no court can effect the suspension of the president. He likewise can only be impeached regardless of the weight of any accusations against him.

Constitutions are founded as the backbone of any democracy, if you feel it is too slow then apply for it to be amended. That is how to begin the fight against corruption, not by going around the constitution. Donald Trump and many americans don't like the 14th amendment of the US which guarantees citizenship to all immigrant children born on visit to the US but they well understand that the constitution is a sacred document and can't simply be ignored.

Even when your president went on 107 days holiday in UK, nobody declared his seat vacant when they had some constitutional backings to do so.

Now don't be daft, everything trump is doing is very much constitutional within the confines of US law less he would have been impeached so don't compare rubbish.

Disregarding the constitution of Nigeria is far worse an act of corruption than looting public funds because it is an invitation to anarchy and civil unrest.

Walter onnoghen was an appointed public official, a civil servant, so therefore while it might require the NASS and NJC to sack him from office, suspending him is possible legally. Especially in a situation where he flouted the rules in the code of conduct governing all public officials both elected and appointed. He himself admitted to this coupled with his ruling in 2013 where he stated that the CCT has power over all public officials.

1 Like

Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by gabolak(m): 9:48am On Jan 26, 2019
kahal29:
The editorial still left the substance of the issue at hand which is... Did Justice Onnoghen forget to declare his assets properly claiming that it was mistake or not?

Don't mind the paid editorial.

Unusual problem requires unusual solution.

When cjn personally wrote and admitted that he forgot to declare millions starched away in his accounts, they didn't write editorial to condemn his continue stay as cjn.

They didn't tell him that sitting on top of the judiciary that is trying him is like acting judge in his own case.

They didn't write their useless paid epistle to compel him to honourably vacate office, but when PMB now wield the big stick they are now crying wolf where there is none.
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by ArcFresky(m): 9:48am On Jan 26, 2019
Bennycollins:
Agreed that CJN erred in not properly declaring some of his bank accounts. The question is have those monies been traced to any criminal source?? You can't just say you have profiled one's salary account and conclude he should not have more than his statutory earnings. Are judges barred from earning money from other sources?

Is he above the law?
How can he forget to declear wealth?
Is forgetfulness now part of a defence in law court?

Don't forget, he is the CJN and holds a critical post, that should never be tainted.

Whether legal or not... A blind man cannot lead those with eyes
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by DeOTR: 9:50am On Jan 26, 2019
Guestlander:

This is what I find very strange. Is the CJN above the law? What is the purpose of all the anti corruption laws if they cannot be enforced.
The national assembly should step in and make corruption legal that way things like this will never happen again.
The executive arm should always do the right thing. Bye passing the law of the land when it suits them is a recipe for anarchy.
The constitution already laid down the procedure for removing corrupt judges, this is superior to whatever the president feels is right.
If we support every inanities of a government because we are in the party, what happens when another government comes to power and use all that against us?
What moral right will you have to condemn their actions?
A bad and very dangerous precedence is being set here. I can assure, you'll not be proud to ever support it when the consequences are full blown.
We don't need a President that will be a law breaker under the guise of national security of fight against corruption. The President's personal opinions and feelings are not part of the law.

1 Like

Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by kaen1317: 9:51am On Jan 26, 2019
kahal29:

Still did not answer the question? I ask again... Did Chief Justice Onnoghen forget to declare his assets properly claiming that it was mistake or not?

See the man played into the hands of his enemies and they won't let go?
will answer your question when u answer mine. Was Ganduje, buhari's favorite governor, caught on tape stuffing huge bundles of US dollars in his robe? What has buhari done about it? What has been heard or done to Maina? Fighting corruption your nyash

1 Like

Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by DeOTR: 9:51am On Jan 26, 2019
ArcFresky:

Is he above the law?
How can he forget to declear wealth?
Is forgetfulness now part of a defence in law court?

Don't forget, he is the CJN and holds a critical post, that should never be tainted.

Whether legal or not... A blind man cannot lead those with eyes
Your last statement... Same thing can be said about Buhari.
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by LegacyB: 9:59am On Jan 26, 2019
Editor, editor. Well I won’t blame u for looking for ur daily bread oooo. But try and read about the leader lee kwan yu. Of Singapore.
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by gabolak(m): 10:00am On Jan 26, 2019
kaen1317:
will answer your question when u answer mine. Was Ganduje, buhari's favorite governor, caught on tape stuffing huge bundles of US dollars in his robe? What has buhari done about it? What has been heard or done to Maina? Fighting corruption your nyash

Ganduje is a sitting governor and he still enjoy constitutional immunity for now.

Whatever you may wish to be done to him will still wait till he vacates office.
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by Nobody: 10:10am On Jan 26, 2019
modath:

Bros, why are you trying to inject common sense into the matter here nah.. undecided , We are all tiffs abeg, this is political witch hunt... Onnoghen is not a broke man & shey someone cannot forget small thing like millions of dollars ni? Una just open am like big matter.. shuo .

Abeg run before the hunger in the land wailing crew come meet you for here oooooo. embarassed
Please tell me you're being sarcastic
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by Lush100(m): 10:23am On Jan 26, 2019
xrayz:
Bro, the problem here is not removing the CJN but how he was removed. This is going to set a bad precedence in our democracy. I don't support corruption but due process should be followed.

when I heard the news , I was speechless,

I don't know whether it's right or wrong.

I just think some form of anarchy or violence is brewing. my feelings are not just right.

Pmb/PDP and all the actors in this political play should just be careful.
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by allisso: 10:25am On Jan 26, 2019
first man to stage an executive and judiciary coup is who? � oloriburuku president of cows and zombies
#The lifeless one
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by Angelawhite(m): 10:32am On Jan 26, 2019
modath:

Please use hand to cover face & ask

PDP has so entrenched criminality, it's not funny again sad

If you had common sense , you would have answered him
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by middlebelter(m): 10:32am On Jan 26, 2019
abitex577:
He will be disgraced out of office

I earnestly pray so. He is dangerous for our democracy.
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by KoeChz(m): 10:37am On Jan 26, 2019
drlateef:
Call him any name you like. That's exactly what happened when he came with Tunde Idiagbon. They instilled discipline into Nigerians. We hated them at the time. After they left, we started realising the beauty of they did. Now we are shouting because he wants to fight corruption to its roots. When he leaves we will realise the importance of what he did. Corrupt judges and lawyers cannot ensure the fight against corruption is won. The CJN is corrupt, he was caught red handed, he refused to leave and is determined to procure judgement for the thieves in PDP in this election. By doing that the fight against corruption would have been truncated. The CJN cannot be removed by NJC because most members are his stooges, he appointed them. The national assembly is led by enemies who are corrupt and in PDP, they will ensure 2/3 majority to remove CJN will not see the light of the day. They instituted numerous court cases with the hope that this will drag beyond the election when he would have done the damage to install PDP. The NBA president is also enmeshed in corruption cases in Akwa Ibom. What do you expect from them in that case? What Buhari did is what a courageous leader will do to sanitise a corrupt system that is massively lopsided against him. I can put my hand on my chest to say Buhari has no intention to rig this election. Because he has no reason to do. He has seen that the people of good conscience love him and majority will still vote for him. But the corrupt people have been cut down by this move of Buhari. This is why they are making noise.
God bless Buhari, God bless people of Good conscience. God bless Federal Republic of Nigeria.
charity begins at home, let the corruption fight start from within with members of his party, appointees and cabinet
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by Friend01(m): 10:38am On Jan 26, 2019
khingTony:
All these things happening in Nigeria is because we still have Zombies in the nation

People afraid to say the truth

People who don't even know the truth

People who are being paid to deny the truth

People who still tell this man he's performing well as the president when he has clearly, singlehandedly divided this country across religious and ethnic lines

zombies must be eradicated from Nigeria or sent to daura with their boss to get this country working again

Which truth?

You are looking for what suit your narrative not what is right.

I'f it were in saner climes,' like some if you like to quote.
Onnoghen would not have allowed this drag to this extent, he would have honourably stepped aside, but he knew a band of Nigerians would readily back him up no matter the amount of legal gymnastic he tries to pull.
And you my dear friend, do not know what we are facing.

The truth to you is anything that would get Buhari out of the line not that you are really looking for the truth.
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by drskyfly007(m): 10:39am On Jan 26, 2019
rottennaija:
Donald Trump suspended a whole government for more than 1 month and he is not a dictator. PMB suspends a CJN he appointed for corrupt practices he admitted, suddenly, he becomes a dictator.

What will happen if he suspends a whole govt then? PDP would be shouting Nigeria is killed, Democracy is dead, as if democracy was ever alive during the days of Obj, Yar'adua, GEJ

Below is a judgment deliver by the CJN, affirming the power of the CCT to suspend any public official (he is a public official) pending the determination of his case. Of course, he may not have know that someday, the law he interpreted will be applied to him.

https://www.nairaland.com/4983387/how-onnoghens-judgments-affirmed-ccts#75113785

Stop being ignorant bro..Suspension of USA government is not against USA CONSTITUTION, he has FULL powers ,so you can't call him a dictator

Buhari has no unilateral powers in the constitution to suspend CJN!.. The CCT laws and the Constitution are not on the same level! The Constitution is superior!
And it gives process and procedures to remove a CJN..
Go read it up and enlighten urself undecided
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by Nobody: 10:39am On Jan 26, 2019
dodelight:
We were moving forward, learning the ropes of democracy, then Buhari came up in the 80s. We struggled and recovered the wheel. We were moving forward again, but then Buhari came up again! He is indeed a Curse!

FIY what nigeria practices in not democracy becos governance as never been about the ordinary people on the last 58yrs ...our kind of democracy is govt by the politicians from the politicians and by the politicians.
its laughable when some elite spew , "judiciary is the hope of common man" i ask myself if they are just trying to be mischievous ... maybe its time the judiciary test the hypothesis of such assertion . within ourselves what is the fate of a common man against a richman in law court... check the records , odds are 100 - 1.09
Even if buhari made a mistake by swiftness of the allegation process , the NJC had time to setup a panel asap to prove fairness & commitment to justice ..but instead they gang up to postpone the meeting indefinite ... what! arrogance .. walters want is case tried in his own convenient time.
What happened to walter today as been happening to ordinary citizens for long ... let them feel our pain tew ,only a senseless nigerian will protest to defend any arm of govt.
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by Friend01(m): 10:40am On Jan 26, 2019
Racoon:

"Nigerians must see through Buhari. He wants to convince the public that he is fighting corruption, but his hidden agenda is to institute an autocratic regime. Nigeria’s democracy can no longer be considered to be out of harm’s way."

T tyranny of Buhari is simply unprecedented. Nigerians were warned but they allowed warped sentiments beclouded the sense of sound judgement

If Buhari is really a ''tyrant'' then I love this form if tyranny.

Una go cry taya.
And there is nothing any of you can do about that.
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by drskyfly007(m): 10:43am On Jan 26, 2019
Friend01:

If Buhari is really a ''tyrant'' then I love this form if tyranny.

Una go cry taya.
And there is nothing any of you can do about that.
see them! Suffering and smiling grin
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by auwal83(m): 10:47am On Jan 26, 2019
This is total crap from Punch. Clearly, the newspaper is now a proxy for the PDP. Good for them though.
The question is whether or not Buhari is better than Atiku and the answer is yes. At least he is the lesser of the two evils. The one we can manage.
Meanwhile, I don't blame the newspaper. For you cannot underestimate the power of the USD.
If you know, you know.

1 Like

Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by Friend01(m): 10:50am On Jan 26, 2019
drskyfly007:
see them! Suffering and smiling grin

I no dey suffer.
I understand there is no free many that is why you are frying.

Oga, go find work do.
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by adimndubisi: 11:06am On Jan 26, 2019
Let's be guided please. shocked shocked shocked shocked

Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by Babacele: 11:12am On Jan 26, 2019
modath:

Please use hand to cover face & ask

PDP has so entrenched criminality, it's not funny again sad
Hehehehe PDP doesn't know the kinda sledge hammer that hit them in their political blokos! In 2013 Onnoghen had given a judgement at the Supreme court that CCT has the express power to deal with asset declaration cases. In 2019 ,after admitting in his own handwriting ,and probably a recorded tape with DSS, that he Onnoghen didn't declare about $3m in strange bank accounts, as well as other undisclosed property, same CCT, based on the weighty evidence before it, wrote to PMB to suspend the ex-CJN . PMB is simply obeying a court order on a Friday! Lmao!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by drskyfly007(m): 11:12am On Jan 26, 2019
Friend01:

I no dey suffer.
I understand there is no free many that is why you are frying.

Oga, go find work do.
lolz am a medical doctor in a federal medical centre earning good money grin so not jobless winkThis is 2019 stop suffering and smiling grin cheesy
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by COMPAQ(m): 11:15am On Jan 26, 2019
As far as I'm concerned the judiciary is its own worst enemy. one of their members has unexplained money in his account and rather than castigating, they jump to his defence to say the president is waging a war against the judiciary. how can people who are supposed to be above board, who are judges and justices have millions of dollars in their account at they cant explain.

The judiciary are not from the moon. They live along us and are therefore just as corrupt as the rest of us. If you give your enemy the basis upon which to hound and defeat you, whose fault is that??
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by COMPAQ(m): 11:21am On Jan 26, 2019
How can a grown man and a chief justice of nigeria for that matter say he forgot to declare properties and millions of naira worth of of cash in foreign currencies? I'm half his age, I'm less important than him in public service and I know every asset that I own. people only forget these things when they want to be dodgy and funny. if it were to boast to his colleagues about how much he was worth he certainly wouldn't forget to list all of these properties and money is in his various bank account
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by COMPAQ(m): 11:28am On Jan 26, 2019
As far as I'm concerned we need tougher harsher actions against corruption and corrupt practices. the democracy were practicing currently cannot take us anywhere quickly. other countries are moving faster than we, yet we are supposed to be catching up with them. I've always said that what we need in nigeria to move forward rapidly is a benevolent dictator. A dictator who is who has an iron clad grip on power, but yet has the progress of nigeria firmly in his mindset. china singapore malaysia didn't develop to this point they are now with democracy. the truth of the matter is that nigerians are largely corrupt, largely tribalistic, largely nepotistic, largely incompetent and largely incapable of mustering the will and the courage to do the right things to get nigeria to where it ought to be.
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by rottennaija(m): 11:37am On Jan 26, 2019
drskyfly007:
Stop being ignorant bro..Suspension of USA government is not against USA CONSTITUTION, he has FULL powers ,so you can't call him a dictator

Buhari has no unilateral powers in the constitution to suspend CJN!.. The CCT laws and the Constitution are not on the same level! The Constitution is superior!
And it gives process and procedures to remove a CJN..
Go read it up and enlighten urself undecided

Ok
Go and fight him naa
Re: Punch Editorial : CJN Onnoghen Suspension - A Dictator Bares His Fangs by nameo: 11:46am On Jan 26, 2019
gabolak:

Ganduje is a sitting governor and he still enjoy constitutional immunity for now.

Whatever you may wish to be done to him will still wait till he vacates office.

Couldn't the APC, that Buhari leads, have refused him the Governorship seat in the next elections. Something totally within their legal and political powers to do.

After seeing that video, you still allowed him to win the primaries, sent his name to INEC and then turn around and ask us to wait until 2023 for his prosecution. Yet you can't what for a few weeks for the CJN car who go through the right constitutional provisions for his alleged offenses.

You dolts truly think most Nigerians are as fooolish as yourselves !!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buni/APC Congress: Stalemate As Osinbajo Maintains Stance / Russia-Ukraine Crisis Fuelling Surge In Food Prices – Buhari / Power And Money. Which One Is Greater?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.