Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,253 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk (13459 Views)

APC Considering Impeachment Proceedings Against Governor Fubara - Official / Naira Crisis: States Plan Contempt Proceedings Against Malami, Emefiele / Pro-buhari Senators Relocate To Sheraton To Begin Impeachment Of Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by Nobody: 8:32am On Jan 26, 2019
anjigirl:
Onnoghen himself is not complaining he knows what he did is against the law
I expect MEND or whatever to start bombing the pipelines again

Is it Buhari's pipeline? You talk as if it will affect PMB. Na still people like you go suffer

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by springer: 8:32am On Jan 26, 2019
14. It is no secret that this government is dissatisfied with the alarming rate in which the Supreme Court of Nigeria under the oversight of Justice Walter Onnoghen has serially set free, persons accused of the most dire acts of corruption, often on mere technicalities, and after quite a number of them have been convicted by the trial and appellate courts.

15. Since there is nothing the Executive Arm can do after the apex court of the land has spoken on any matter, several of these individuals walk free among us today, enjoying what are clearly the proceeds of the corruption which for so long has defeated the efforts of this nation to develop and prosper.

16. It is against this background that I have received the Order of the Code of Conduct Tribunal directing me to suspend the Chief Justice pending final determination of the cases against him. It also explains why I am not only complying immediately, but with some degree of relief for the battered sensibilities of ordinary Nigerians whose patience must have become severely over-taxed by these anomalies.

17. In line with this administration’s avowed respect for the Rule of Law, I have wholeheartedly obeyed the Order of the Code of Conduct Tribunal dated 23rd January 2019.

18. Accordingly, I hereby suspend the Honourable Mr. Justice Walter Nkanu Samuel Onnoghen, GCON as the Chief Justice of Nigeria pending final determination of the case against him at the Code of Conduct Tribunal.

19. In further compliance with the same Order of the Code of Conduct Tribunal, I hereby invite Honourable Justice Ibrahim Tanko Mohammed JSC, being the next most Senior Justice in the Supreme Court, to come forward to take the Judicial Oath as Chief Justice of Nigeria in an Acting Capacity.

20. Fellow Nigerians, we can only stand a chance to win the fight against Corruption, and position our dear nation for accelerated development when we stand together to contend against it.

PMB on the suspension of CJN

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by 22brains(m): 8:34am On Jan 26, 2019
Impeachment proceeding will be a long process. We the supporter of buhari are ready to help him pack his belongings to Daura free of charge.
Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by 22brains(m): 8:34am On Jan 26, 2019
couragemurphy:

Is it Buhari's pipeline? You talk as if it will affect PMB. Na still people like you go suffer
Impeachment proceeding will be a long process. We the supporter of buhari are ready to help him pack his belongings to Daura free of charge.
Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by Nobody: 8:35am On Jan 26, 2019
three:

Yes,

There is only one way outlined in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria for suspending OR removing a Chief Justice EVEN when it is a matter emanating via Code of Conduct.

BUHARI REQUIRES TWO-THIRDS of the SENATE.

This desecration of the constitution he swore to uphold is gross misconduct by Buhari and an IMPEACHABLE offence

PRESIDENT and VICE-PRESIDENT
They are BOTH equally guilty of gross misconduct.

Since their ambition is worth the blood and lives of Nigerians let them come and be going.

NIGERIA NEEDS PEACE

143. (1) The President or Vice-President may be removed from office in accordance with the provisions of this section.

(2) Whenever a notice of any allegation in writing signed by not less than one-third of the members of the National Assembly:-

(a) is presented to the President of the Senate;

(b) stating that the holder of the office of President or Vice-President is guilty of gross misconduct in the performance of the functions of his office, detailed particulars of which shall be specified,

the President of the Senate shall within seven days of the receipt of the notice cause a copy thereof to be served on the holder of the office and on each member of the National Assembly, and shall also cause any statement made in reply to the allegation by the holder of the office to be served on each member of the National Assembly.

(3) Within fourteen days of the presentation of the notice to the President of the Senate (whether or not any statement was made by the holder of the office in reply to the allegation contained in the notice) each House of the National Assembly shall resolve by motion without any debate whether or not the allegation shall be investigated.

(4) A motion of the National Assembly that the allegation be investigated shall not be declared as having been passed, unless it is supported by the votes of not less than two-thirds majority of all the members of each House of the National Assembly.

(5) Within seven days of the passing of a motion under the foregoing provisions, the Chief Justice of Nigeria shall at the request of the President of the Senate appoint a Panel of seven persons who in his opinion are of unquestionable integrity, not being members of any public service, legislative house or political party, to investigate the allegation as provide in this section.

(6) The holder of an office whose conduct is being investigated under this section shall have the right to defend himself in person and be represented before the Panel by legal practitioners of his own choice.

(7) A Panel appointed under this section shall -

(a) have such powers and exercise its functions in accordance with such procedure as may be prescribed by the National Assembly; and

(b) within three months of its appointment report its findings to each House of the National Assembly.

(cool Where the Panel reports to each House of the National Assembly that the allegation has not been proved, no further proceedings shall be taken in respect of the matter.

(9) Where the report of the Panel is that the allegation against the holder of the office has been proved, then within fourteen days of the receipt of the report at the House the National Assembly shall consider the report, and if by a resolution of each House of the National Assembly supported by not less than two-thirds majority of all its members, the report of the Panel is adopted, then the holder of the office shall stand removed from office as from the date of the adoption of the report.

(10) No proceedings or determination of the Panel or of the National Assembly or any matter relating thereto shall be entertained or questioned in any court.

(11) In this section -

"gross misconduct" means a grave violation or breach of the provisions of this Constitution or a misconduct of such nature as amounts in the opinion of the National Assembly to gross misconduct.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

@ the bolded grin ...dead on arrival ...who is the new Chief Justice? tongue Buhari na lifeless but smarter than all PDP put together.

1 Like

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by Nobody: 8:35am On Jan 26, 2019
twhy111:
and the case is in court, but why do we have the rule of law? If they are not to be followed accordingly. And a 'sane man' like you thinks going against what the law said is the best option to get justice?

No be only rule of law. The President has some executive powers. If not, the suspension can also be challenged in the court of law. It is not our duty to defend corrupt leaders like the CJN. He knows better than us, let him defend himself and not look for ways to skip prosecution like politicians do. Except he is also a politician.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by franudi: 8:36am On Jan 26, 2019
I support FFK on this.
Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by Nobody: 8:38am On Jan 26, 2019
22brains:

Now you are talking. I6th Febuhari is not far. Let's see if Atiku can win my handsome PMB.
4+4 is still = 2023

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by rock003: 8:39am On Jan 26, 2019
anjigirl:
Its not the same. CJN is not an elected official he is appointed by the president and president reserves the right to fire him

The CJN should be appointed by the NJC and not the presidency. The presidency appointing the CJN is synonymous with the presidency appointing the Senate president
Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by codeNinja3768: 8:40am On Jan 26, 2019
I am an experienced CODER, I can help fix any issues on your website or App Available on WhatsApp Only

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by Nobody: 8:42am On Jan 26, 2019
rock003:

The CJN should be appointed by the NJC and not the presidency. The presidency appointing the CJN is synonymous with the presidency appointing the Senate president
The NJC does not have the power to appoint CJN they can only recommend a qualify candidate to the president

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by 22brains(m): 8:42am On Jan 26, 2019
couragemurphy:

Now you are talking. I6th Febuhari is not far. Let's see if Atiku can win my handsome PMB.
4+4 is still = 2023
hahaha.... i laugh in peter obi's voice.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by ORIENTATION101: 8:43am On Jan 26, 2019
rock003:
Suspending the CJN is just like suspecting the Senate president
olodo senate president was voted by his constituency while supreme court judge was appointed by the president.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by adewad13(m): 8:43am On Jan 26, 2019
Niorte:
At this moment let all the sensible people supporting Buhari join hands together with other patriotic Nigerians to send Buhari packing.

I have seen many crazy people on Nairaland than in Nigeria as a whole. The fact that you are a supporter of Buhari does not mean you should defend every of his wrong doings.

The reasonable supporters of Buhari are already having a rethink.

CJN was guilty as accused but DUE PROCESS needs to be followed. We Nigerians are not supporting a corrupt Judge, all we are saying is that the RULE OF LAW should be obeyed. That you caught a boy who stabbed his father to death does not mean he will be killed immediately without first charging him to court.

All reasonable Muslims and Christians should rise up and defend the labour of our heroes past.

Then vote for who pls.
Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by twhy111(m): 8:44am On Jan 26, 2019
couragemurphy:

No be only rule of law. The President has some executive powers. If not, the suspension can also be challenged in the court of law. It is not our duty to defend corrupt leaders like the CJN. He knows better than us, let him defend himself and not look for ways to skip prosecution like politicians do. Except he is also a politician.....
the president had to rely on the CCT judgment that the judge should be suspended to remove him, but my question is why didn't the same CCT ask saraki to be suspended also pending his trial at the court then? If not that politics and corruption has entered the judicial system. Hence, he can't be wrong in order to make things right, he'll only create a bad impression of which he's already doing.
Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by 22brains(m): 8:44am On Jan 26, 2019
codeNinja3768:
I am an experienced CODER, I can help fix any issues on your website or App Available on WhatsApp Only
go on with your coding. We no dey do yahoo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by greggng: 8:44am On Jan 26, 2019
Unfortunately Senate is not a pdp senate

1 Like

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by rock003: 8:46am On Jan 26, 2019
ORIENTATION101:
olodo senate president was voted by his constituency while supreme court judge was appointed by the president.

You must be eternally daft. No consistency vote for a Senate president. The Senate president was voted for by other senators. What a show of stupidity and mental daftness you put up here!

1 Like

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by 22brains(m): 8:46am On Jan 26, 2019
twhy111:
the president had to rely on the CCT judgment that the judge should be suspended to remove him, but my question is why didn't the same CCT ask saraki to be suspended also pending his trial at the court then? If not that politics and corruption has entered the judicial system. Hence, he can't be wrong in order to make things right, he'll only create a bad impression of which he's already doing.
the Suspension of the CJN has to do with 2019 rigging plans.
Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by Nobody: 8:46am On Jan 26, 2019
twhy111:

The President has no power to suspend the Senate President. Like you said, the Judiciary is really corrupt. So sometimes to clean them of some corruption the President needs to use some of his executive powers

1 Like

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by Nobody: 8:51am On Jan 26, 2019
22brains:
the Suspension of the CJN has to do with 2019 rigging plans.

That is preemptive. Why not say the failure to declare his millions of dollars has to do with 2019 election rigging. The same CJN was appointed by this same administration, and have also suspended him on moral grounds and malpractices

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by 22brains(m): 8:56am On Jan 26, 2019
couragemurphy:

That's is preemptive. Why not say the failure to declare his millions of dollars has to do with 2019 election rigging. The same CJN was appointed by this same administration, and have also suspended him on moral grounds and malpractices
the president has no constitutional power to suspend the CJN. The CJN is also a president in the judicial arm of government. Its just like Army removing Buhari from office.
Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by codeNinja9459: 8:56am On Jan 26, 2019

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by Tareq1105: 9:00am On Jan 26, 2019
Jowanonline:
Former Aviation Minister, Femi Fani-Kayode has called on members of the National Assembly to begin impeachment proceedings against President Buhari following the suspension of Justice Walter Onnoghen as the Chief Justice of Nigeria.

See more of his reactions below..

https://jowanonline.net/begin-impeachment-proceedings-against-buhari-now-ffk/

Begin impeachment proceedings against Buhari now- FFK tells National Assembly members following the suspension of CJN Walter Onnoghen

See more:https://jowanonline.net/begin-impeachment-proceedings-against-buhari-now-ffk/

FFK should go and join the Senate to commence the impeachment.

I guess he must have taken his "usual"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by Nobody: 9:02am On Jan 26, 2019
22brains:
the president has no constitutional power to suspend the CJN. The CJN is also a president in the judicial arm of government. Its just like Army removing Buhari from office.

But ask yourself these questions. Has he been suspended? Is there a new CJN in acting capacity? If your answers are yes, then The President has the power to suspend the CJN

And please stop comparing Water to Oil

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by Tareq1105: 9:06am On Jan 26, 2019
22brains:

Where were you when Jonathan removed Justice Ayo Salami, former President of the Court of Appeal?

Where were you when Jonathan removed the Governor of CBN, now Emir Sanusi?

Jonathan once said suspension is not the same as sack.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by REBREED(m): 9:06am On Jan 26, 2019
When GEJ suspended Sanusi, we asked, what about 2/3rd required from the Senate to remove him? they said, suspension is not the same thing as sack. Emefiele was appointed and confirmed almost immediately by the Senate while SLS investigation was ongoing. No uproar from PDP, Senate or social media noise makers.

GEJ suspended President of Court of appeal, Ayo Salami, against NJC recommendations and several court orders. No uproar or protests. When you ask them about GEJ today, they call him a hero of democracy for conceding defeat in an election he lost woefully after several rigging attempts.

PMB today is a tyrant for obeying a CCT court order. Well, the CJN is suspended not sacked. Nigerians actually deserve the leaders and citizens around them. A civil servant who happened to be an arbiter of the law, has an undeclared $3m in his bank accounts, several houses, claiming he forgot to mention almost N1billion in his assets declaration form and you expect us to look the other way because of the political optics? Something is doing you. You are Nigeria's problem, yes You! . You deserve your leaders and fellow citizens. Couldn't be happier that I got out early.

In saner climes, the CJN would have resigned 3 weeks ago. In an insane country like Nigeria, people who don't have N20k in their accounts are sweating on Facebook, wasting their data to defend him. You all deserve each other.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by 22brains(m): 9:07am On Jan 26, 2019
couragemurphy:

But ask yourself these questions. Has he been suspended? Is there a new CJN in acting capacity? If your answers are yes, then The President has the power to suspend the CJN

And please stop comparing Water to Oil
thats why he is a cow who doesn't understand the constitution!
Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by 22brains(m): 9:11am On Jan 26, 2019
Tareq1105:

Where were you when Jonathan removed Justice Ayo Salami, former President of the Court of Appeal?

Where were you when Jonathan removed the Governor of CBN, now Emir Sanusi?

Jonathan once said suspension is not the same as sack.
due process were all followed my dear. You cant appoint and sack at will. It will lead to favouritism.
Re: Begin Impeachment Proceedings Against Buhari Now-ffk by Cluv: 9:14am On Jan 26, 2019
twhy111:
We shouldn't be gullible, no sane man would support what BUHARI just did, he has just thrown the door open for so many court cases, the election has not started but the feelers we're getting says it'll never be FREE AND FAIR. he should follow the due process to remover the CJN out. Tyranny should not be allowed this is a democratic government, the president is being advised wrongly on this path. Yes the Justice is wrong and is being tried but 'due process' should be followed.
some people are just to dumb to understand that no body was above the law, cjn should lead by example, why can't he declear all his asset or did pmb fail to declear all his asset? The cjn should proove himself even ffk and Dan orbi is the greatest liar in the whole Africa if not the world.and please don forget to add fayose the list.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Papyrus Magazine Holds Three Awards In One Night As Leaders Are Honoured / Anambra Election: INEC Begins Distribution Of Sensitive Materials To 21 LGAs / Defections In APC Dangerous, Ex-Aspirants Tell Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.