Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,117 members, 7,821,829 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:40 PM

Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan (5249 Views)

Pensioners Paralyse Activities At Lagos Gov’s Office / Protesters Paralyse Activities At Lagos Governor’s Office / Oil Spills Paralyse Economic, Aquatic Life In Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by desgiezd(m): 11:50am On Aug 17, 2010
Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan Over Student Preacher-PM News, Lagos
Posted: August 16, 2010 - 17:44

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/08/16/students-paralyse-ui/

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/muslim-students-paralyse-university-ibadan-over-student-preacher-pm-news-lagos

Muslim students of the University of Ibadan, UI, this morning paralysed activities during a protest against the institution’s refusal to expel a part four law student, Miss Seun Olubunmi Adegunsoye who preached gospel in the school mosque last Friday.

Adegunsoye of Mountain of Fire and Miracles Church, according to reports, preached at the mosque last Friday to the Muslim faithful.

While she was preaching, the Muslim students mobilised themselves, attacked the lady and beat her mercilessly.

The school’s security men rescued her and took her away for questioning.

Sources saidhe institution’s Vice Chancellor, Professor Olufemi Bamiro, appealed to the Muslim students not to foment any trouble, promising that the issue would appropriately investigated.

However, the Muslim students went haywire when they found out that the institution’s bulletin which was released this morning did not report the incident and the punishment the school authority has meted out to the preacher.

The students who barricaded all the entrances leading to the premier university and carried placards prevented both academic and non-academic staff from gaining access into the school this morning.

Among the inscriptions written on their placard were: “No to terrorism. No religion should be allowed to terrorize us in our country”; “We will not take any unreligious act from any religious group”; “We will do everything possible to protect our religion”; “We will not accept insult from any religion”; “Olubunmi should be expelled from UI because she has done what is wrong”; “Olubunmi should be arraigned before a court of law for preaching in the mosque”.

According to a leaflet signed by a student called Almin, they demanded that Adegunsoye be expelled from the school and charged to court.

Other demands include: Investigating religious leaders behind the lady, carry out medical examination on the lady to find out whether she is mentally sound, ban Christians from preaching in public places in the school, and punish anyone who facilitated her release from the school security net.

Official reaction from the institution could not be sought as at the time of filing this report but it was gathered that the VC would address the press later in the day.

The school’s PRO, Mrs. Joke Akinpelu who was on leave, rushed down to see what was happening but she was also prevented from entering the school.

Her words, “I can’t say anything now because I am on leave but I have called the VC who will later address the press. As you can see, I can’t even enter but I will see if I can jump the fence to enter the premises and see how we can bring the situation under control.”
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by desgiezd(m): 11:59am On Aug 17, 2010
The action of the christian student is totally unbecoming and un-called for and should be condemned by all as totally preposterous. Of all the spaces available in the vast space occupied by UI, the lady could not get a place to preach other than inside or around the mosque even at a time that the muslims are involved in their fasting. It is a serious act of provocation!

I am a christian and also a member of MFM but will never indulge in this sort of thing. The General Overseer, who preaches peace and decorum at all times, and the Church authority will never support this sort of thing.

The lady is lucky that it wasnt in one of our northern universities that she did this thing.
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by philip0906(m): 12:03pm On Aug 17, 2010
I'm a christian but dat is uncalled 4,the Bible admonishes us 2 be wise.There r other ways 2 get d gospel preached . . .but the most unfortuate part of this incident,is dat d muslims in d north will take it up and begin 2 kill mercilessly undecided
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by redsun(m): 12:13pm On Aug 17, 2010
Doom nation,university students behaving like agberos in the name of mirage entity.
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by jamace(m): 12:47pm On Aug 17, 2010
When shall my people learn their lessons? Is it not in this same Ibadan that one pastor who thought himelf a Daniel entered the lions den in the zoo and was used for breakfast, abi na lunch sef?
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by desgiezd(m): 12:54pm On Aug 17, 2010
jamace:

When shall my people learn their lessons? Is it not in this same Ibadan that one pastor who thought himelf a Daniel entered the lions den in the zoo and was used for breakfast, abi na lunch sef?

Whaoo!! You still remember this incident!
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by excanny: 12:55pm On Aug 17, 2010
Muslims will always be Muslims. So they want her murdered for disrupting their service. where is the forgiving spirit. If God himself watches our errors, who will be alive today.

Her actions were unnecessary, but are we all perfect?

Where is the human face in justice?

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by philip0906(m): 12:55pm On Aug 17, 2010
jamace:

Yes its d same Ibadan grin grin
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by redsun(m): 12:56pm On Aug 17, 2010
When oyibo say we are wey back,we go dey vex when every thing we do points to the fact that we lack fundamental intellectualism.

University students are suppose to be the immediate leaders of tomorrow,yet they can't see beyond almajirins and bab aladoras.
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by philip0906(m): 12:58pm On Aug 17, 2010
excanny:

Muslims will always be Muslims. So they want her murdered for disrupting their service. where is the forgiving spirit. If God himself watches our errors, who will be alive today.

My brova,if they kill and maim a christian,it d easiest way 2 get 2 heaven and be handed 70 virgins undecided undecided
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by bibiking1(m): 1:34pm On Aug 17, 2010
philip0906:

My brova,if they kill and maim a christian,it d easiest way 2 get 2 heaven and be handed 70 virgins undecided undecided

who no wan "Better' thing??
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by Nobody: 2:07pm On Aug 17, 2010
^^^^

They were fasting grin The more reason why they could have exhibited some degree of tolerance, yet they beat her up

excanny:

You know! Muslims will always be Muslims!! Now they want her 'expelled from U.I & arraigned before a court of law' Where is the spirit of the Ramadan? bunch of hypocrites
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by desgiezd(m): 2:13pm On Aug 17, 2010
Shouldn't we rather concentrate on the offender instead of the offended? I am not saying the student should be expelled from the school or arraigned in a court, but we should do more of e-punching the lady offender instead of making the muslims look guilty as many of us are doing now.
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by excanny: 2:54pm On Aug 17, 2010
Honestly, i thought we had more sensible Muslims down here in the south. The moment the angry muslims laid their hands on that lady that was where they lost it.

They are supposed to be charged for assault and sexual harassment. They are a shame to themselves and an indictment on what their religion stands for.

There are better ways of expressing their grievances instead of resorting to violent acts.

In international law. once a person is tortured, he is already acquitted of the offence he committed. So the lady is innocent now, while her batterers will face legal actions.
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by SkyBlue1: 3:09pm On Aug 17, 2010
desgiezd:

Shouldn't we rather concentrate on the offender instead of  the offended? I am not saying the student should be expelled from the school or arraigned in a court, but we should do more of e-punching the lady offender instead of making the muslims look guilty as many of us are doing now.

Are you freaking kidding me? This whole idea of trying to kill or beat up anyone who does not agree with you should not be defended. A bunch of men ganged up on a lone woman and beat her up, how courageous. Gosh. They could not ask her to leave? They could not even kick her out of the place? Very kaitaish behaviour indeed.
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by tpiah: 3:12pm On Aug 17, 2010
If the girl had thought her actions through beforehand, she'd know a beating was the very least response she'd get.

that's why i say she has a mental problem.

was she expecting to just walk out calmly after her show?

interrupting an ogun, sango or amadioha service would get her no less of a beating, and that's putting it mildly.

what she did was wrong and senseless, period.

did she forget she was in nigeria? Beatings are commonplace there.

The beating is the least of her worries. The people who dont know her from adam, yet who will suffer for what she did, are a more pressing concern.

what a s.tupid girl.
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by shomoye: 3:17pm On Aug 17, 2010
The lady should be punished at least to serve as good example to others. if such should happen an area like kaduna/kano, we will be talking of casualties by now.
enjoy!
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by marcus1234: 3:18pm On Aug 17, 2010
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by Nobody: 3:42pm On Aug 17, 2010
I can take a bet that d lady did not go into d mosque. She was probably a some distance away from d mosque, but trust our fanatic muslim brothers, who would be too eager to score cheaps point during ramadan. Those responsible for beating d lady shd be rusticated from d school. There is no law against preaching, but the constitution and other relevant Federal Acts forbid assault.
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by Sharonf(f): 4:06pm On Aug 17, 2010
The girl should be expelled. It was simply an unnecessary action.
As she entered the mosque, looked around, stood up and started shouting what did she expect? A hug?
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by SkyBlue1: 4:16pm On Aug 17, 2010
Sharon_f:

The girl should be expelled. It was simply an unnecessary action.
As she entered the mosque, looked around, stood up and started shouting what did she expect? A hug?

And hence her beating was justified? Are you actually listening to yourself? Why don't we stop fabricating stories and actually ask to know what she actually said to begin with? What did she say? And her speech (whatever it contained) meant she deserved a beating? Her assaulters are the ones that should be going to jail, gosh such intolerance and sanctioned violence, so ridiculous. What won't we hear? Teacher named teddy bear mohammed and they wanted to kill her, lady touches koran and they wanted to kill her, someone drew cartoon and they wanted to kill him, where does it stop?
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by EzeUche22(m): 4:21pm On Aug 17, 2010
Glad we Igbos are majority Christian. cool
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by tpiah: 4:27pm On Aug 17, 2010
Sky Blue:

And hence her beating was justified? Are you actually listening to yourself? Why don't we stop fabricating stories and actually ask to know what she actually said to begin with? What did she say? And her speech (whatever it contained) meant she deserved a beating? Her assaulters are the ones that should be going to jail, gosh such intolerance and sanctioned violence, so ridiculous. What won't we hear? Teacher named teddy bear mohammed and they wanted to kill her, lady touches koran and they wanted to kill her, someone drew cartoon and they wanted to kill him, where does it stop?

in nigeria, beatings are the norm whether justified or not.

let's focus on the larger picture which is her attempt to cause chaos.

if you're going to launch a crusade against beating, then include all the wife battering, kid battering, etc etc going on at any time of the day, back home.
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by chosen04(f): 4:40pm On Aug 17, 2010
With the way these guys fight for this islamic religion they give you the impression that some thing is WRONG WITH ISLAM. I have seem Muslims preach with speakers in a church closest and no christian gives a damn. . . . .

Havent they being killing christians in churches and everywhere up north and they still turning the other cheek?

Its always the wrong religions members that will always be interested in fighting 'human fought battles on God's behalf' . . . . . . .The true God is not interested in human fought battles on his behalf.
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by becomrich3: 4:53pm On Aug 17, 2010
What Miss Seun Olubunmi Adegunsoye  was wrong, you do not take religion that far.  You cant go into a mosque and start preaching. Haba. never heard of that before. Religious tolerance is important. I think she need to offer them an apology. But they too should not have beating her. two wrong do not make a right. They should have know there is something wrong somewhere. What type of radical girl is this. This girl makes me laugh.  I need to see Seun Olubunmi Adegunsoye picture.

We can not all share the same opinion about God. she has to know that. You cant force your religion on others. This is even what the bible says.
Tell the  student to open the door of the university and she offer them an apology, God want us to live a life of peace with all men. They should please not close down the university, people lost time while in the university and it affect our lifes years later.

That is one reason, many nigerian , would make sure IBB would never be president of Nigeria. He gave student hell. He shut down the university for months , even years. he never cared.  Many past nigerian student would never forgive IBB. No apology from IBB can bring back years , he wasted in the lifes of past Nigeria student. They should not go through what others went through, it would be a draw back for the Yoruba people.
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by tkb417(m): 5:05pm On Aug 17, 2010
tpiah:

in nigeria, beatings are the norm whether justified or not.

let's focus on the larger picture which is her attempt to cause chaos.

if you're going to launch a crusade against beating, then include all the wife battering, kid battering, etc etc going on at any time of the day, back home.
dont be deluded

preaching shouldnt ordinarilly lead to chaos. if truly God eschews violence and the religion is a peaceful one like we are made to believe, then the lady should be a prime target for them to be converted to islam

But in this case, they see it as an avenue to paralyse activities, lynch the babe, get her expelled, get her imprisoned
i tire. na wetin she do sef? e pass preaching?

abeg they shd go to kirikiri and set ablaze a criminal if they really feel like lynching someone
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by tpiah: 5:10pm On Aug 17, 2010
^^the girl was disturbing the peace in the worst manner possible. How are her actions different from those of an almajiri?

even in america/europe you dont enter a mosque and start shouting against islam, then expect to walk away scot free.

keep your objections civilized or face the consequences.

she should know every action breeds a reaction and it's the height of irresponsibilty for her to do that in a place like nigeria.

in any case, if she thinks she's doing something no one has done before, she'd better think again. undecided If she knows the fate of others like her who acted rashly though in different contexts, she'd flee and never return. undecided
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by tkb417(m): 5:13pm On Aug 17, 2010
^^^
yeah the gurl disturbed peace- agreed

then the next thing from the religion of peace is to skin her alive and later send her to prison?

is that it?

pls confirm
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 17, 2010
I have this muslim vs christian sermons on my campus like everytime.

And to be truthful, I wish I could beat up these christian hypocrite myself. They spit the most hate, using the bible to justify themselves. You see them holding up "Islam is of the Devil" banner stained with red liquid substance and stab wounds.
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by tpiah: 5:18pm On Aug 17, 2010
tkb417:

^^^
yeah the gurl disturbed peace- agreed

then the next thing from the religion of peace is to skin her alive and later send her to prison?

is that it?

pls confirm

^^she had the choice of voicing her objections in a different manner. She did not have to enter a mosque to get her message across. Had it been a gathering of sango or juju worshippers, she'd get the same treatment.

she crossed the line and as it is, people are working overtime to save her butt because i doubt she understands what she did.
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by desgiezd(m): 5:20pm On Aug 17, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

I have this muslim vs christian sermons on my campus like everytime.

And to be truthful, I wish I could beat up these christian hypocrite myself. They spit the most hate, using the bible to justify themselves. You see them holding up "Islam is of the Devil" banner stained with red liquid substance and stab wounds.

This is hypocrisy of the highest order. The Bible does not support this at all. They are lucky because of the environment they are in, let them come to nothern Nigeria and try that!
Re: Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan by tkb417(m): 5:21pm On Aug 17, 2010
Tpiah

I got you

so islam worshippers/muslims are same with sango and juju worshippers

hehehehe

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu The Biafra 3rd President Dares Nigeria Govt Release Family Pictures / Obidients, Thanks For Making Tinubu President! / Are Acn Governors Over Hyped? Are They Different From The Usual Naija Politician

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.