Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,159 members, 7,821,937 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:13 PM

Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos (43993 Views)

Problems Of Getting Governor's Consent And Building Plan Approval In Lagos. / Building Plan Approval Process And Cost In Lagos State. / Issues Of Land Documentation And Building Plan Approval (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by phemmy88(m): 6:57pm On Sep 04, 2010
Oh! It's u?
Well, my bad i guess!

. . . BTW; don't u fink 20k is 2 little considerin d stress involved  . . . . . mehn, i wouldn't wanna b paid like that o. . . .anyways that's ur choice-

. . . & besides, i don't like the way u insulted my "rabi".
Apology demanded!
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by Nobody: 10:34am On Sep 05, 2010
My apologies then. We can move beyond this,
Maybe we can network? How close is your office from Sango Area? Im around Abule Egba/Agege Side.
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by phemmy88(m): 11:02pm On Sep 05, 2010
My office? Naahhh! . . . 'm still a student o. . . Though 'll b back in Lag around Dec. I stay very close to that side, (Òkè Àró, to be precise).
. . . I think i still 've lots of stuff to learn frm "scholars" like u, u know 'm still a baby Q.S !
So where do we move from here?
Ciao!

My mail: Femmy882003@yahoo (dot) co (dot) uk
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by oluwabamis(m): 8:16am On Jan 31, 2011
its becoming more difficult to be a landlord in nigeria esp. lagos. the goverment is getting greedier by the day. imagine all those money just for approval. one could almost build a small building from that. the middle class is gradually phasing. you are either rich or poor, yet nigerians cant really see this, rather we are applauding d govt for overtaxing us. i bet u that more taxations and levies are coming up. soon u may even need to get approval to buy ur car. we need to start talking and letting the govt know that we are being overmilked. alausa officials are so corrupt that the things thatt u should normally get freely is being charged.
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by Actionleap: 11:26pm On Feb 14, 2011
Structural engineer getting less pay is the reason many building collapse in Lagos. No where in the world is a structural engineer looked on with contempt as Nigerians do. It's because we lack quality, simple!
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by Felixv: 8:08pm On Apr 03, 2011
hello guys,
i was just informed that a c of o or government consent is required before a plan can be approved by lagos state.
is that true,

is there anyone here who can help with plan approval for a 4 3 bedroom flats in badore

thanks

james
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by Actionleap: 8:19pm On Apr 03, 2011
Yes, C of O before Building plan approval. A moderate 3bedroom flat with all rooms- ensuit will cost about 6million.
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by Felixv: 9:41pm On Apr 05, 2011
C oF O doesnt seem to be a requirement anymore, besides i was actually talking about a block of 3 bedroom flats, lol

Securing approvals for building plans will now be faster in Lagos State, as the state government has announced the decentralisation of the process.
The announcement was made during a press briefing on the outcome of the three-day quarterly retreat of the state executive council which held at the Eko Tourist Resort during the weekend.
According to the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Opeyemi Bamidele, building approvals for bungalow and one-storey buildings will be made by the general manager of the Lagos Physical Planning Development Authority, while plans for two to three storey and four to five storey buildings will be approved, respectively, by the permanent secretary and the commissioner for the Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development. Approvals for seven-floor buildings and above will be made by the governor, Babatunde Fashola.
A few other bottlenecks that characterise issuance of building approval plans have also been removed. The demand for the payment of N50,000 and the tendering of title deeds as a condition for getting planning information has been eradicated. From now on, “all information concerning building plans will be made available online”, the commissioner said.
The Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development has now been saddled with the responsibility of processing building plan approvals based on evidence of full payment, pending provision of actual title document.
Should final approval for a building plan exceed the statutory three months, Mr. Bamidele said the office of an ombudsman has been created to receive complaints from building plan approval applicants.
He said two mobile phone lines – 07059629744 and 07059629745 – have been dedicated to receive such complaints.

the funny thing is that the numbers do not work,

1 Like

Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by princeop4u: 11:13pm On Sep 19, 2011
@yemi313, Just finished reading all your posts, it is embarrassing to realize that despite being in practice since 1998 you know nothing about code of conduct and ethics of the Quantity Surveying profession, kindly look for a copy of our code of practice to study. With people like you this profession can not grow! How many times have you seen a Doctor or a Lawyer render free services? Even if you reduce your worth because of hunger, you should not be proud of saying it on a social network! '., you can charge your client any amount, , ' according to who? Anyway, its a free world but don't spoil the profession for us! People are making it big from the same thing you claim to be doing, its about packaging! To make matters worse, you are now speaking disjointed grammar! Please real intellectuals are on this network, stop claiming to be what you are not! You claim to know more than all professors, how come you are still collecting 20k for a stamped bill! Package yourself and try to see beyond your nose! QS is no longer what you think it is, you are far behind please.  I don't mean to insult you, I can't just help but write like this. Thank you.
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by olumolar55(m): 2:12pm On Oct 18, 2011
@princeop4u:I'm very sad with your reply castigating @yemi313 for free information and knowledge sharing on this social networking. I can see you as one of those SHARKS that hides information away from your clients to milk money out of them. My friend, when are we going to grow UP in that country?
First of all I will point you to the right to FREE speech. Secondly, this information will helps someone like me who does not live in Nigeria and other Nigerian in DIASPORA planning to build a retirement home in Lagos or else where in Nigeria. In advance country professionals do educate masses by sharing their professional knowledge on Social networking media for the benefits of others. We should learn to desist from money grabbing society and be service oriented to fellow human being.

Someone whom GOD will Bless is paying for this medium that we are communicating and benefiting various ideas and information sharing on, it is not free neither this person is making money thru online advertising on this medium. If you have no FREE services or valuable information that others can benefit from on this medium, please give up your membership or keep quiet and let others do.

@yemi313: God will BLESS YOU, no efforts of yours to help mankind will go in vain. And to all GOOD people of this medium keep the ball rolling, we in DIASPORA are enjoying your valuable information.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by tunnadex: 12:59pm On Oct 19, 2011
Thanks, for d information.But can u assist to get d cost of a 4 flats of 3 bdrm each in Akoka area,at ur convinience. av a lovely day
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by princeop4u: 5:53am On Oct 30, 2011
@princeop4u:I'm very sad with your reply castigating @yemi313 for free information and knowledge sharing on this social networking. I can see you as one of those SHARKS that hides information away from your clients to milk money out of them. My friend, when are we going to grow UP in that country?
First of all I will point you to the right to FREE speech. Secondly, this information will helps someone like me who does not live in Nigeria and other Nigerian in DIASPORA planning to build a retirement home in Lagos or else where in Nigeria. In advance country professionals do educate masses by sharing their professional knowledge on Social networking media for the benefits of others. We should learn to desist from money grabbing society and be service oriented to fellow human being.

Someone whom GOD will Bless is paying for this medium that we are communicating and benefiting various ideas and information sharing on, it is not free neither this person is making money thru online advertising on this medium. If you have no FREE services or valuable information that others can benefit from on this medium, please give up your membership or keep quiet and let others do.

@olumolar55, I a m sorry if I sounded rude or so harsh, but please the truth must be spoken. What my 'brother' is doing is ethically unhealthy if you understand the principles of operation and rules of conduct of this profession, 20k for a stamped BOQ is not ideal(Now am sure u will be planning to pay 20k for a BOQ when you start that dream project, whoever asks for more becomes a thief, right?), if you are doing such you are not suppose to say it in the open so as not to spoil potential clients' mind. Take this or leave it, there is limit to every freedom, especially when professionalism is involved(e.g. Doctor - Patient relationship). Your statements about advanced countries are interesting but for your information I am not far from Europe and America, I know how things operate. As a matter of fact the rules and codes we are using in Nigeria are mere modifications of theirs, people only break it, but that does not make it right. I can understand that u benefited from the information but please seek adequate professional advice before embarking on any retirement home as u said.

I am not a shark, I don't belong to the school of money grabbing individuals(money grabbing society) I think the fact that u benefited is preventing you from understanding my position. There are freebies, you give free information but you do with caution so as not to mislead or belittle yourself unnecessarily! Kindly change that your orientation of seeing my position a reason for the state of Nigeria, I don't know the work you do, but I will suggest you read more about consultancy. Consultants get paid for advice, and the volume you have with your ability to work around it determines your success. Read more about the activities of KPMG, PWC, leading consultancy firms in Europe, may be u will understand better. Always cultivate the habit of consulting appropriate individuals for information and not think you can get vital professional knowledge on a social network. Freebies are suppose to be tips that can't in any way harm others. Note: My earlier response was to his calculation, and 20k charge, not to his list of requirements for approval which simply remains a tip - an acceptable free service.

2 Likes

Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by Chykovsky2013: 2:24pm On Jun 15, 2013
The above information on calculation of building permit in Lagos state is quite educative. I am actually surprised that permit cost is calculated based of volume of space as against the world accepted floor area. Lagos state is the only place in the world that calculates using height of building. This is very wrong. Human beings don't live in the air but on ground which is why internationally it is accepted that Lenght x Breath only be used in calculating building permits. I hope Lagos state offical will redress this anomarly/theft from prospective builders.
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by yemiyemi: 2:34pm On Oct 24, 2013
I'd like to share some salient contribution to this very discussion. No doubt, Kudos to our amiable lawyer for giving lots of us deep insight into the calcualtion method implored in the assessment rate.
By and large, i think it is very useful for all of us to also know that building before obtaining this approval is very detrimental which mostly attract penal fee from the government. Many people are very ignorant of this and when processing their approval mostly got stucked during processing when they get the final assessment fee which usualy included penal fee and other associated penalties needed to accompany the processing in terms of document and monetary penalty. The following are the consequencies of effecting contruction (building) before procesing building approval.

a Penal fee is 4x assessment fee. That is if the normal assessment fee is N100,000 for instance, the penal fee for building on your land before procesing the approval would be N400,000 + N100,000 = N500,000

b Conduct a stability comprehensive test from Lagos State Material Testing. The money to be spent on this depends on the type of building in question but the least

c. As built Drwings of both Architectural and Structural Drawings. This means that the original drawings obtained before the construction of the building will not be relevant anymore as they would read '' Proposed'' which would mean you have to get another one that would read '' As Built''

I think people should know this as it is crucial before applying for building approval especially if you have already have building on your land.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by yemiyemi: 2:52pm On Oct 24, 2013
I'd like to share some salient contribution to this very discussion. No doubt, Kudos to our amiable lawyer for giving lots of us deep insight into the calcualtion method implored in the assessment rate.
By and large, i think it is very useful for all of us to also know that building before obtaining this approval is very detrimental which mostly attract penal fee from the government. Many people are very ignorant of this and when processing their approval mostly got stucked during processing when they get the final assessment fee which usualy included penal fee and other associated penalties needed to accompany the processing in terms of document and monetary penalty. The following are the consequencies of effecting contruction (building) before procesing building approval.

a Penal fee is 4x assessment fee. That is if the normal assessment fee is N100,000 for instance, the penal fee for building on your land before procesing the approval would be N400,000 + N100,000 = N500,000

b Conduct a stability comprehensive test from Lagos State Material Testing. The money to be spent on this depends on the type of building in question but the least

c. As built Drwings of both Architectural and Structural Drawings. This means that the original drawings obtained before the construction of the building will not be relevant anymore as they would read '' Proposed'' which would mean you have to get another one that would read '' As Built''

I think people should know this as it is crucial before applying for building approval especially if you have already have building on your land.

Thanks.
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by Etcurts: 9:52am On Oct 25, 2013
Structural drawings gives information about the material, arrangements, sizes of the members that are proposed to carry the building.

A building can be compared to the human body. The job of the Arch is to determine the shape of the body, the location of legs, arms, head, etc. The structural engineer determines the skeleton to carry the body. Without the skeleton, the body is shapeless.

Structural engineers should be the most important with the most pay – if the building should collapse, you hold the structural engineer first before the contractor.

1 Like

Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jun 28, 2014
My architectural, structural,mechanical,electrical, 3D and bill of quantities cost me N600,000.
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by passe(m): 4:18pm On Aug 26, 2014
Kudos Lawyer
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by adedare: 3:43am On Sep 23, 2014
i need for port harcourt area on this subject on plan approval can any one be of
help
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by PranavG11A: 2:57pm On Oct 29, 2014
Greetings all,
I was browsing to see if i could find some information on architectural practice in Lagos, and found this thread. I am a practicing architect based in India with small offices in Ethiopia and Los Angeles, and am a student of the beautiful profession. Here are my views, and i assure you they are mine and mine alone, and I may be wrong.

1. The first thing that surprised me was the fee itself. It is at least one third of what any architect would charge in India. Assuming a three floor building of the size shown as an example, the architects fee comes to N 24 per sq ft or N 260 / sq m. That is really not sustainable, and i am speaking from the point of view of a third world country like India.

I have firmly believed that when the sole criteria for charging fees is to undercut the other person (Hypothetically), the product always suffers.

2. The amount being charged for all the consultants is, when taken individually, also well below average. When you pay extra to your structural consultants, they spend time with you in value engineering the building to accrue savings that are several times their fees, through smart structural design and design coordination. If both the architect and the structural engineer is paid low, they will not a. spend time on the project and b. will have the most junior person possible working on the project. Ultimately the project loses.

3. For a building the size of which is as illustrated above, the architect should be able to design the MEP and electricals, as well as prepare the BOQs for all items excluding structure, if not himself, with a couple of vendor teams who he can consult with. This adds value to the project as the architect's vision is not compromised through a lack of coordination. Therefore, for this particular project, unless it is an extremely MEP-intense function, only the architect and the structural engineer will need to be empaneled. and the architect's fee of N 300000 seems more in keeping with global developing-country norms.

4. Having said that, an architect's fees varies over several factors, and is almost completely independent of square footage except for cross-checking basic numbers (like i did above). For a residence of the size mentioned above, the fees would be several times higher, because bespoke residences require that sort of intense work over several months, and cutting corners is just not an option. The same area, for an office building will accrue lower fees, and a hotel with, say 20-30 rooms will be between the office and the Villa, depending on what type of hotel. A warehouse would be lower than all the above.
The factors that influence an architect's fees, specifically from an architect's point of view, are:
a. Scope of work.
b. function to be housed in the building.
c. Degree of coordination required over the project period (which is why residences are expensive)
d. iterations and changes that he feels will need to be done. You don't want to get into a project and realise you are losing money because every change you make is costing you man hours you did not account for.
e. Amount of value engineering that the architect can do with the consultant team without compromising on quality and timelines, thereby saving the client money.

I have found some principles that I feel form the cornerstones of my practice. Maybe sharing them with you all will help someone, somewhere.

1. Always base your fee on what your costs are plus reasonable profit; not what the market will sustain.
2. Out of Good, Fast and Cheap, your client will only get two.
3. Always bill only after you have exceeded the deliverables for the stage you are billing for.
4. This is the only profession where you make monuments to yourself with other people's money. Make every monument the best it can be. It is YOU.
5. Once you start designing, the project is yours, and the client is just the owner.
6. Tell the client on Day 1. 'The project is important, not you not me.'

Sincere thanks to anyone who bothered to read till the end.

Best regards,

Pranav Iyer
Design Principal
Ground 11 Architects.

4 Likes

Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by akseries: 8:33am On Dec 22, 2014
Good day people. tnks for this information. can someone tells me how and where to do plan approval in port harcourt. thanks all.
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by ArcSaraphizzy: 6:42pm On Jul 16, 2015
Greetings Sir/Ma,

To whom it may concern,

LETTER OF INTRODUCTION

We have the pleasure of introducing our company BK Designs to you.
We offer unique ideas and concepts in Architectural and Building designs, interior design, urban planning and construction
We have a good reputation built over time in the architectural and building sectors of nigeria with adequate job references to prove our position.
We therefore seek invitation to present our package which we are sure will be of interest to you.
Thank you as we look forward to good business relationship with you

Your faithfully
BELLO Adewale

CEO: For BK Designs
Pin: 2BC9ECEA

1 Like

Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by toy2015: 9:07pm On Dec 31, 2015
Good day people. tnks for this information. can someone tells me how and where to do plan approval in Ajah, lagos and Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Ajah, Lagos thanks all.
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by Arnoldfish(m): 10:46am On Mar 01, 2016
What Died this thread down, Keep the work going, Lets know the trend @MOD
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by Walexzeee: 7:21am On May 02, 2016
that registered survey is a fraud.... one u need a government beacon number....u pay for that...which covers above the 25k..so how will u go about it...u generate fake beacon..and at d end of the day..u won't find d red copy at d surveyor general office.... pls let's be guided.. and I am basically an architect in practice... I have good knowledge.. a registered survey never goes below 55 per plot...anything below that is fraud..mark me...fraud...07039104920
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by noblelizzy: 4:28am On Jan 12, 2017
Please can someone help me with answers to these questions below about registering land

what is the cost of survey plan?
If the land is bought with uncompleted self contain on it,will there be a penalty,if yes how much will it be?
What is the cost of building plan and approval?
what is the cost of stamp duty on building approval for bungalow?
How does one avoid getting fake building approval?
What others fees and processing does one need to pay/do to get the land registered?

Thank you.
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by Babs612000(m): 6:28am On Jan 12, 2017
noblelizzy:
Please I need some information about registering land in Ogun state:
what is the cost of survey plan?
If the land is bought with uncompleted self contain on it,will there be a penalty,if yes how much will it be?
What is the cost of building plan and approval?
what is the cost of stamp duty on building approval for bungalow?
How does one avoid getting fake building approval?
What others fees and processing does one need to pay/do to get the land registered?
If the building will be 4 bedroom en suites bungalow,what is the estimated cost of the building?

Thank you.

A survey plan will cost you between N110-150k depends on the surveyor.
Yes there will be penalties because there is a building on the land which l think should not be more than 50k.
4 bedrooms that l did in August last year cost App 300k.
On fake building approval you need to know or trust the person that will do it for you and if you have the time you can just work into their office and see any if the worker in (that department ).
By doing it by yourself the cost will definitely reduce.
All fees are included in the cost that l paid except C of O which you can do later.

1 Like

Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by dspSouthkorea: 7:32am On Jan 12, 2017
Have you been looking for a new stylish and modern way to decorate your House?

Look no further, as DSP designs, manufactures, and installs stainless steel for architectural and industrial applications. It offers coils, sheets, laminated sheets, multi-sheet solutions, pipes, and advanced materials. Our solutions are used in wall covering, ceiling, elevator, door, handrail, fittings, and remodeling applications. DSP custom made solutions are used in roofing, canopy, column, bollard, grating, ornament, kitchen furniture, appliances, home appliances, and other applications.

The best part of DSP stylish and modern new products are that they are DIY products- which means you can install it on your own, in your home, office, shop etc., with no mess at all. All you have to do is peel off the back layer, and stick them to your walls.

James Akibon

Email: jamesakibon@daejindsp.com

Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by noblelizzy: 3:25pm On Jan 12, 2017
Thanks @Babs612000. Very helpful!
But do I have to pay a seperate fee for Govt. assessment or this already included in the survey plan payment?
And do you or anyone have an idea of what the stamp duty fee is? I was told is 10% of the land purchase price, is this true? Please does anyone has any idea on this stamp duty fee on building plan in Sango Ota Ogun State?

Thank you
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by noblelizzy: 3:30pm On Jan 12, 2017
@Babs612000, I just got your 300k now after reading your comment again...thats for the building plan approval.

1 Like

Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by noblelizzy: 5:04pm On Jan 12, 2017
Babs612000:

A survey plan will cost you between N110-150k depends on the surveyor.
Yes there will be penalties because there is a building on the land which l think should not be more than 50k.
4 bedrooms that l did in August last year cost App 300k.
On fake building approval you need to know or trust the person that will do it for you and if you have the time you can just work into their office and see any if the worker in (that department ).
By doing it by yourself the cost will definitely reduce.
All fees are included in the cost that l paid except C of O which you can do later.
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by noblelizzy: 5:05pm On Jan 12, 2017
Thanks @Babs612000. Very helpful!
But do I have to pay a seperate fee for Govt. assessment or this already included in the survey plan payment?
And do you or anyone have an idea of what the stamp duty fee is? I was told is 10% of the land purchase price, is this true? Please does anyone has any idea on this stamp duty fee on building plan in Sango Ota Ogun State?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Of These Warehouse Types Should I Go For? Photos / Paradise Estate Abuja, Leaving Behind Tales Of Anguish To Subscribers In Abuja / Inside Abuja’s Newest ‘container’ Office Structure (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.