Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,263 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:26 AM

‘pdp Will Recapture Kano' ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘pdp Will Recapture Kano' ! (1557 Views)

We Will Recapture Gwoza By Friday, Says Jonathan / After Troops Recapture Mubi Town From Boko Haram, Life Returns (pics) / PDP Will Recapture Lost States In 2015 – PDP Chairman, Alhaji Bamanga Tukur (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

‘pdp Will Recapture Kano' ! by wales(m): 6:25am On Aug 18, 2010
Nasiru Sule Garo, (PDP, Gwarzo/Kabo federal constituency) speaks on next year's elections and options before the citizens of Kano State. Excerpts:

Fears of credible elections in 2011

This is the first time Nigerians from different background and different political parties, are coming together to agree that the man, Attahiru Jega is credible enough as the INEC Chairman to conduct credible elections. I have confidence that, especially with the amended electoral act and the continued assurance we are receiving from Mr Jega and also with the composition of the commissioners in INEC, the 2011 election would be a free, fair and credible election. Calls for postponement of election.

The issue of shifting election date is a decision which INEC should be left to take. So far, they have not really complained on the issue of time, but only on funding and that is why the House of Representatives did all we could to facilitate the fund request from INEC. You remember we had to cut short our holiday to attend to the request. I think the amendment of electoral act is a good thing, because it will make the INEC more independent and active and the process also serves as an avenue through which other amendment can be done, if the need arises in the future.

On zoning

I am in support of zoning because it has and will continue to bring sanity and sense of belonging in our polity. Again, it is what was agreed by our leaders; therefore I believe it should be respected. But above all, I am a loyal member of my party and the party said that zoning should remain but President Goodluck Jonathan has the constitutional right to contest, because the constitution is supreme.

Assessment of state government

The administration of (state governor) Ibrahim Shekarau, to me, is a monumental failure because the economy of Kano has fallen woefully during his time despite the huge resources the state got both from federation account and locally generated revenue. There are no developmental projects, especially in the rural areas. Education is in sorry state; there is lack of water throughout the state and virtually every sector is neglected. Some people may argue that there is road projects that is going on at the moment in the state capital, I appreciate those projects because it is good for the state. But my question is, are these only starting now? I believe the answer is simply the governor is using the projects for his presidential campaign. Even the Kano house that was recently commissioned in Abuja is also aimed at achieving this deceit for his presidential ambition. All what I have to say is that his administration just hide under the banner of Islam to plunder the resources of the good people of Kano.

Chances of PDP reclaiming Kano

It is very clear today that the people of Kano are no longer interested in the ANPP government and they want PDP to take over the governance of the state. The people specifically are rooting for Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso to vie for the governorship position and I believe they will vote for him because they have realized that he did a lot for the state during his tenure as governor. Above all, he has the interest of the state at heart.

Controversial constituency project

Yes, constituency projects has been helping our constituents today because it is really helping in providing basic infrastructure in our localities; that is the only way a legislator can impact on his people directly, apart from our primary assignment of making laws. You will agree with me that some local governments and perhaps state governments have failed in providing the much needed basic infrastructures to our people.

Therefore, the constituency project is helping in that direction. The constituency projects would be unnecessary when the states and local governments take their responsibility seriously. I think it is worth mentioning here that federal lawmakers are not receiving funds for constituency projects; rather we identify projects in our constituencies and forward it to MDAs for execution. So, it is actually the executive that is executing the projects. Ours is no more than identifying the project and perhaps supervising same.

Anger of his constituents

It is not true that I have not done anything for the benefit of my constituents. Let me use this opportunity to mention few things I have done. I have secured federal employment for about 10 people from my constituency and I have attracted some projects to the area. I assure you there are many more to come.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5607958-147/pdp_will_recapture_kano__.csp

(1) (Reply)

Six Hours With Soldiers In Pursuit Of Kidnappers In Aba / Why Yoruba Must Support Jonathan / Caution! Toilet Mystery (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.