Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,793 members, 7,810,063 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:48 PM

The Poor in Spirit - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Poor in Spirit (1212 Views)

Do You Believe In Spirit Wife And Husband? / Oritsejafor To Jonathan - Give Half Of Your Salary To The Poor / Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Poor in Spirit by IAH(f): 9:36pm On Jun 16, 2005
Matthew 5:3 says: "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
I have never understood this verse of the Bible. What does it mean to be poor in spirit? Who are the poor in spirit?
Re: The Poor in Spirit by Greatpeter(m): 11:27pm On Jun 23, 2005
Poor in spirit is when you see yourself as not attained to anywhere spiritually and you are eager to go longer way of satisfying your soul.
The bible say "to him that believe shall flow rivers of living water" You assume you havent gootten anything yet even if God has been using you to bless others in different ways. You might have been used by God to perform some dump founding miracles yet you feel unsatisfied till you either say unless the whole world received Christ, or say unless you raise up the dead as Jesus did to Lazarus and you achieve the fit you take a step further may be by saying you want to walk on the waters like Jesus and so on and so on. You're never satisfied with the level you are spiritually, praises of people not withstanding. You keep going and God will be blessing you the more, watering you. That is why the bible blessed are they.
Re: The Poor in Spirit by bomaivy(f): 1:57pm On Jul 18, 2005
To be poor in spirit means to be willing and able to acknowledge and confess our weakness and short comings.It is same thing as having a broken and contrite heart.

Most time we find it difficult to acknowledge our faults, we rather make excuse and blame God and other people for our mistakes.But God wants us to always take responsibility for our mistakes.

An example of someone in the bible that had a poor spirit is King David.That was why he was called A man after God's heart.
Re: The Poor in Spirit by Greatpeter(m): 2:01pm On Jul 18, 2005
Boma. another good exhortation.
May God grant you more wisdom.
Re: The Poor in Spirit by Magie(f): 1:01pm On Aug 27, 2005
Thanks all, I have got the light smiley
Re: The Poor in Spirit by drbigdaddyg(m): 5:30pm On Oct 13, 2005
Try and be. I am one.
Re: The Poor in Spirit by Rhodalyn(f): 8:16pm On Mar 04, 2006
those that have become poor because of the spirit of God in them
Re: The Poor in Spirit by choiceA: 8:36pm On Mar 04, 2006
Rhoda_babe!!  cheesy  grin

I always enjoy your cracks,,, cheesy.

In addition, I'll add just one word - humility. The "poor in spirit" is the direct opposite of being "haughty in spirit."

"And the afflicted people thou wilt save: but thine eyes are upon the haughty, that thou mayest bring them down." (2Sam. 22:28)

"LORD, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me." (Psa.131:1)
Re: The Poor in Spirit by Rhodalyn(f): 8:38pm On Mar 04, 2006
thanx dear you flatter me wink kiss kiss kiss
Re: The Poor in Spirit by prettyH(f): 9:22pm On Mar 04, 2006
Rhodalyn:

those that have become poor because of the spirit of God in them

What Pls explain,
Re: The Poor in Spirit by donnie(m): 4:07pm On Mar 10, 2006
I agree with greatpeter
Re: The Poor in Spirit by Hndholder(m): 10:27am On Mar 11, 2006
anti-christ
Re: The Poor in Spirit by donnie(m): 1:58pm On Mar 11, 2006
If you are seeking for notice, there are better ways to go about it. However, i have long been through with you.

And so far, your postings have fallen short of deserving a response from me.
Re: The Poor in Spirit by Hndholder(m): 8:45am On Mar 12, 2006
You need to seek for the truth, it seems you are far removed from the truth and reality Donnie
Re: The Poor in Spirit by Grizzly(m): 9:56am On Mar 12, 2006
Pearldrops once said: "Its far better to shut the fxck up and keep a foul trap clamped and be assumed to be dumb, than open up and let loose all suspicions" WTF?!! angry
Re: The Poor in Spirit by Hndholder(m): 7:51am On Mar 13, 2006
Poor in spirit is purely humility.
Re: The Poor in Spirit by donnie(m): 12:00pm On Mar 13, 2006
Then what did he mean by: blessed are the meek? undecided
Re: The Poor in Spirit by TYPOP(m): 1:33pm On Mar 25, 2006
The poor in spirit see themselves as having nothing and have a desire and panting for God and the things of the spirit.
Re: The Poor in Spirit by babymine(f): 2:06pm On Apr 04, 2006
The humble in spirit who long to know God more.
Re: The Poor in Spirit by Rhodalyn(f): 2:16pm On Apr 04, 2006
prettyH:

What Please explain,
there are so many ways and means one can use to acheive money but cuz of da spirit of God in them, they have decided to remain poor im even confused aba wht im sayin cheesy cheesy wink
Re: The Poor in Spirit by Nobody: 6:31am On Mar 27, 2009
@greatpeter, should we go by what u say ? Or u want to further elucidate and defend your claims?
Chiurs.

(1) (Reply)

Couselling And Prayer Solves All Problems / Is The Qur'an The Word Of God? / Research Proves Jews Are Non- Yisraylite Asiatics! For You Nairaland Jews!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.