Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,412 members, 7,830,095 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation (1659 Views)

Oby Ezekwesili Slams Aisha Alhassan 4 Her Insensitivity 2 Chibok Girls Plight / My Plight, The Reality About Naoss / The Shame of a nation. Nigeria's Petroleum Minister Allison-Madueke !!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by Igwe12: 12:22pm On Aug 18, 2010
Onitsha Anambra State is the only major City with over 2million people in Nigeria and perhaps in Africa with NO University. Over 70,000 candidates on the average apply for university education in Anambra state for only <20,000 and yet the Federal Government of Nigeria cannot have the vision to open up more Universities in the state and around the country, What Useless visionless Country.
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by Nchara: 1:04pm On Aug 18, 2010
I agree that onitsha deserves a higher institution of learning. However, there are at least 3-4 unis and 1-3 polys in Anambra. If you need additional ones, why not the big money bags that parade in Anambra establish more? The feds have opened up the space for private universities to take root.
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by Nchara: 1:07pm On Aug 18, 2010
Awka, the state capital, is also the center of Nigeria's metalwork and carving industries. Educationally, Anambra is a centre of excellence. There are the Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK), Awka a federal university with College of Medicine situated at Nnewi. The UNIZIK Nnewi runs a modern Teaching Hospital with facilities also at Umunya and Ukpo.

The Anambra State University, formerly known as Anambra State University of Science and Technology (ASUTECH), with two campuses, one in Uli, and another at Igbariam; the Federal Polytechnic, Oko; Nwafor Orizu University of Education (formerly known as the Nwafor Orizu College of Education), Nsugbe. Private Universities include The Tansian University, Umunya and Madonna University, Okija. There is also the St Don Bosco Youth Training Centre at Ugwuagba (near Mgbuka Market), Obosi.
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by phantom(m): 1:11pm On Aug 18, 2010
it does not need a university.it should remain the commercial town in anambra.it is things like this that congest our cities and them unhabitable.
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by KnowAll(m): 1:18pm On Aug 18, 2010
There is no reason why a city of 2 million cannot generate enough revenue and have a City Uni, In America they have City Unis, County Unis, State Unis.

I think LG should be scrapped in Urban Areas and the office of a Mayor Created in its place, A Mayor would be able to co-ordinate and plan revenue streams for a city, in fact any City above 200,000 people should have a Mayor.
[b][/b]
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by paddylo1(m): 1:25pm On Aug 18, 2010
yet the Federal Government of Nigeria cannot have the vision to open up more Universities in the state and around the country, What Useless visionless Country.

It is not the job of the federal GOVT to be opening up universities left and right in a country

Sometimes i wonder if u guys really know what the federal GOVT is supposed to do. . .
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by Igwe12: 1:28pm On Aug 18, 2010
@Phanthom,
You must be out of your mind if you have to place congestion over education. They can always locat such a university in the outskirts of the city and make it more accessible with roads and eventually bringing development to the said area. We just need leaders who have basic thinking faculties. An uneducated mass cannot achieve development. The federal government building more Universities can easily creat >1million jobs in nigeria because people are ready to pay for school but cannot find schools. The Anambra state government should take on this responsibility since the federal government is impotent. They can have a second Nnamdi Azikiwe University Campus in Onitsha both in honor of late Zik since he is from onitsha while creating an opportunity to educate the masses. IF the feds cannot do it, the state should build another Anambra state university campus in Onitsha.
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by phantom(m): 1:33pm On Aug 18, 2010
igwe, sorry o!i didnt know you were more interested in developin onitsha and not anambra, i implore you to look at the big picture.no need for insults.
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by asha80(m): 1:35pm On Aug 18, 2010
Igwe-1:

@Phanthom,
You must be out of your mind if you have to place congestion over education. They can always locat such a university in the outskirts of the city and make it more accessible with roads and eventually bringing development to the said area. We just need leaders who have basic thinking faculties. An uneducated mass cannot achieve development. The federal government building more Universities can easily creat >1million jobs in nigeria because people are ready to pay for school but cannot find schools. The Anambra state government should take on this responsibility since the federal government is impotent. They can have a second Nnamdi Azikiwe University Campus in Onitsha both in honor of late Zik since he is from onitsha while creating an opportunity to educate the masses. IF the feds cannot do it, the state should build another Anambra state university campus in Onitsha.

My friend stop talking trash!

Which university do you expect the FG to build?Where does FG build university in recent times?Does a university have to located in a town to make everyone in that town educated?If that is the case then everyone that grew up in owerri and enugu is supposed to be educated.

Btw how does building universities create jobs?
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by Igwe12: 1:44pm On Aug 18, 2010
@Phanthom,
I am interested in developing all anambra and perhaps nigeria. Development comes in stages and it must begin some where.

@Asha
I do not have to reply you since you sound very inarticulate. The federal governement does not have to build schools but they can definitely provide the funds and incentives for it since they have that capacity. And yes, building schools will create jobs- and lots of it if you actually thinks enough to dissect it. These jobs include-lecturers, ancillary staff, clerks, security staff, janitors, human resources, accounting, student jobs, IT, cafeterias etc, achieving many things at once-educating the masses, providing opportunity and creating needed enployment and bringing development to communities,
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by asha80(m): 1:51pm On Aug 18, 2010
Igwe you have already replied me.If you think the most thing Onicha needs is a university then you can go make noise to the federal government forgetting rigourous urban planning and security.
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by naijaking1: 1:58pm On Aug 18, 2010
The root of all these evil is undue federal interference in just about everything in Nigeria. Local control and planning has suffered at the expense of federal "directives" coming from Abuja in everything. The federal government insists on controlling and maintaining vital road networks, power distribution, tertiary education via NUC, and even local management of ports and basic cleaning of streets.

The result is that cities like Onitsha, Aba, PH, Lagos, Benin, Kano, etc basically have lost control and the will to manage their own affairs within limits. They simply wait for directives from above in most instances. Until this maladminstrative pattern is changed, don't expect a city to respond to its people's need immediately.

Local control as existed in the 50s and 60s ought to be the order of the day, unfortunately, the military governments rolled back a lot of local power in order to reign in on the percieved excess of the day, and actually as a tool to balance the rates of development between the rapidly developing south and the sluggishly developing north.
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by Adonike(m): 2:16pm On Aug 18, 2010
@Igwe-1
I love ur write-Up but u should take note that Nigeria is no
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by Adonike(m): 2:20pm On Aug 18, 2010
Nigeria is not a 'useless visionless country' OK?
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by kildran: 5:46pm On Aug 18, 2010
A very good topic, though inmy humble opinion the poster does not know what Onitsha needs. Onitsha used to be a commercial hub, the only reason why it isn't any more is simply because Nigerian products are not competitive price wise. The solution to the Onitsha (and if I may say Aba) problem is to have good power supply, high import duties especially Chinese products, and have incentives for manufacturers.
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by philip0906(m): 5:54pm On Aug 18, 2010
Every house in ekiti has atleast one professor(so i heard),but ekiti is still one of d poorest states in Nigeria. . .My point is dat ur post is misleading,i thought it was somfin else.As far as onitsha boyz dey make money and it is a commercial hub,no problem. wink
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by asha80(m): 5:59pm On Aug 18, 2010
kildran:

A very good topic, though inmy humble opinion the poster does not know what Onitsha needs. Onitsha used to be a commercial hub, the only reason why it isn't any more is simply because Nigerian products are not competitive price wise. The solution to the Onitsha (and if I may say Aba) problem is to have good power supply, high import duties especially Chinese products, and have incentives for manufacturers.

Kildran Onicha is still a commercial hub.Maybe what you meant is industrial hub which Aba is.Onicha is more of commercial while Aba is more of industrial.
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by Afam4eva(m): 6:56pm On Aug 18, 2010
There's so much money in Onitsha, yet the money is not reflected in the state. A city like Onitsha can build their own world class university, stadium only if they had unified ruler, something like a mayor.
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by Igwe12: 7:20pm On Aug 18, 2010
I understand what you guys are saying about being a commercial hub. But that does not mean you don;t have to give the people education. My cousin lives in onitsha and is worth Billions of Niara from his shops there but he had to risk his life driving to Nnamdi Azikiwe in Awka just to get a part time degree in business administration. He had to because my family transformed and almost every youth had a first degree and he felt the need to have basic education since he understood the importance of it in the whole family. That should not happen. Even if it should remiain a commercial hub, i bet you those traders can do better and perhaps put their business in a different level if they had more education. After that degree, my cousin actually expanded, speaks better and travels out to do more business with confidence.
Bottom line is that our states and federal government have failed. The people are hard working, are a step ahead and moving faster than the government. All they need is assistance. We need city planning, and i agree, city Mayors so that people can be closer to their government and hold them more accountable.
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by asha80(m): 8:58pm On Aug 18, 2010
Igwe-1:

I understand what you guys are saying about being a commercial hub. But that does not mean you don;t have to give the peoplet thier education. My cousin lives in onitsha and is worth Billions of Niara from his shops theie but he had to risk his life driving to Nnamdi Azikiwe in Awka just to get a part time degree in business administration. He had to because my family transformed and almost every youth had a first degree and he felt the need to have basic education since he understood the importance of it in the whole family. That should not happen. Even if it should remiain a commercial hub, i bet you those traders can do better and perhaps put their business in a different level if they had more education. After that degree, my cousin actually expanded, speaks better and travels out to do more business with confidence.
Bottom line is that our states and federal government have failed. The people are hard working, are a step ahead and moving faster than the government. All they need is assistance. We need city planning, and i agree, city Mayors so that people can be closer to their government and hold them more accountable.

This brings another dimension in our university education.In the western world people work(even if part-time) and go to university but such scenario is difficult in nigeria.I think it has to do with availabilty of work and also what you talked about(sorry for my earlier outburst)locating most of our universties in remote places.
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by naijaking1: 9:29pm On Aug 18, 2010
^^^
Onitsha lke any other market would easily rise to the challange of a World class university if the indigenes and business are given a free reign.
They can educate themselves, because there's a market for it.
They can build and maintain their roads
They can provide themselves with electricity
They can organize World class healthcare
They can provide and maintain adequate hygiene, they can, and they can------ cool
If and only if the 1000lb gorilla is not in the room, yes, the federal military government.
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by Nobody: 11:28am On Aug 19, 2010
Hello Igwe,
Anambra state has never depended on the FG to find her feet. Onitsha has only the Niger Bridge as Federal Funded asset. I believe you and I like our fathers can do something about education in Anambra state. I belong to a circle that is already trying to establish a tertiary institution in Anambra but at national diploma level. I have actually thought of how much a University influence can expand the business potential in Onitsha. Many people have also spotted the problem. Prof. Soludo particluarly noted the distance between the business men and the intellectuals in the state during his campaign period. Unfortunately Mr. Obi does not seem to have a clue. I also know about three years ago, some people put together a plan to start "Onitsha Business School", following the prowess of Lagos Business School. The problem is that those that have the ideas are not incontrol of the resources, while those in control of the resources do not recognize the need. If you or any other person reading is in a position to bring the Onitsha business men in your circle together and invest in a "University of Onitsha", I believe thats the best way foreward. The requirements are about a 100 million funding and plans for 50 acres of land. Which you do not need at once and does not necessarily need to be in one parcel.

If Mr. Obi would listen, it not just a University that Onitsha needs. There is a need for a business district to attract, encourage and grow corporate businesses out of the existing sole businesses. Many of the small businesses in the state have long outgrown the model, and can actually boost the economy of the state if they take advantage of coporate finance. But the operators have no idea of such things and who will teach them, especially in Igbo.

Secondly, the expansion of the city is badly constrained. Onitsha is the only city I have visited in Nigeria where people are buying over bungalows to build five story up stairs. “Brown field development” is a good and environmentally friendly approach to real estate’s but it happens more in rich and productive economies. Even in Victoria Island, it is not so rampart, hence the rush for Lekki. In Onitsha it is not happening because of the rich economy, but because the government has failed to introduce the necessary motives and infrastructure to open up surrounding communities and grow Onitsha. Real estates sector that is booming in other places is not booming in Onitsha. The state government hardly attracts private estate developer, a common feature in a less economically buoyant Enugu. Onitsha has come a long way and now more than ever needs a heft reorganisation and investment by the state.
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by Ikengawo: 12:06pm On Aug 19, 2010
these are issues you should take up with the onitsha state gov and onitsha private citizens, not the nigerian federal gov
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by Ofemmanu: 12:38pm On Aug 19, 2010
The problem bedevilling Onitsha is the same in all the major commercial cities in Nigeria . . .  Traders rarely pay tax!! In a country where citizens do not deem it fit to pay taxes, only God knows how they expect burgeoning developments.

Most of the revenue generated in Anambra state comes from motor parks and civil servants. The multi-millionaire traders, which are aplenty in Anambra state, rarely pay taxes because it is difficult for the government to asses their worth. Even if they are to pay at all, they would pay the amount which an okada man pays.
Re: Onitsha Plight-the Shame Of A Nation by komando: 12:40pm On Aug 19, 2010
There is no more land in Onitsh for a university.

(1) (Reply)

Pray For Gej's Deliverance; Support Buhari -pastor Adeboye's Body Language (pix) / Obinna Onuegbu (omo) Kidnapped In Imo State / How Igbos Raise To Political Importance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.