Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,987 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:45 AM

Seven Secrets Of Academic Excellence - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Seven Secrets Of Academic Excellence (342 Views)

Seven Secrets A Millionaire Never Reveals. / ATBU Circular On The Resumption Of Academic Activities After ASUU Strike. / Lautech Announces Resumption Of Academic Activities Despite Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Seven Secrets Of Academic Excellence by Emmystified(m): 5:31pm On Jan 29, 2019
If you had jumped on this post with the intention of getting sure “secrets” of academic excellence, I am sorry to disappoint you because there are really no “secrets” or “models” for achieving academic success. However, these are some of the factors that contributed to my excellent results in the university.

•Know yourself: This key point cannot be overemphasized and it lends credence to my opening statement. Trying to use what worked for another person might not lead to a desirable result for you. So by knowing yourself, I mean you should know what you want, know your limits, know the best time for you to read, know the best position that suits you. One mistake that students keep getting into is trying to read as hard as everybody even when they can no longer assimilate. It is instructive that you know yourself and what you want as quickly as possible.

•Conquer Fear: Many of us got into the university with a lot of fears. Fear of the future, fear of failure, fear of what my parents want, fear of the unknown, fear of where the next meal is coming from and even the fear of being jilted by a loved one. Funny right? But that’s true.
So one thing fear does is to place a heavy burden on you to the extent that when you “read” even for a long stretch, you are unable to assimilate anything. So rather than allowing your mind to be overwhelmed with fear, let it push you to success.

•Read and attend Classes regularly: I have seen a lot of “brilliant students” come out to say how they excelled in the university without having to read much. Well, I don’t know the underlying reason for that. Maybe to feel extraordinary or for other expediency. I always hear people talk about the fact that I didn’t read too. But then, It still boils down to knowing yourself. I knew when I read my books and people who were very close to me knew that I spend time reading my books and I also attended classes regularly.

•Associate with like-minds: It is a fact that the people you associate with have a strong influence on what you will become or achieve. Associate yourself with those who will compete with you, those who will teach you when you need help, those who will encourage you when you are down and those who care about your general wellbeing.

•Teach Others: Always look for an opportunity to impact others with knowledge. If you can explain any concept or course to your colleagues in simple and concise language, then chances are high that you will excel in the course. So whenever you read, always break it down to simple bits and see how you can explain it in simple layman terms to others.

•Be Sociable and engage in extra-curricular activities: The saying “all work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy” comes to mind here. Social and extra-curricular activities relieve you of stress, help you build social interactions and you get to meet new people and learn new things.

•Take care of your physical body and maintain good hygiene. Sleep when you should, do not be all concerned with books that you neglect your physical appearance and health. Health is wealth. And it translates to academic wealth too.

Thank you for reading, I hope this helps in your quest to attain academic success.
Be excellent!

Emmanuel is a first Class Graduate of Obafemi Awolowo University, graduating as the best in his department and the entire faculty of social sciences. You can follow me on https://jackhillzmedia.com/2019/01/29/seven-secrets-of-academic-excellence/ to read my post

P.S: The points I listed above are not totally exhaustive but then this is what I could remember as I write this and since I have seven points, I decided to title the post seven “secrets” of academic success.

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Does It Seems Like ASUU Is Being Too Headstrong Toward Their Negotiation With FG / The Role Of Insurance Company In Nigeria As A Non-banking Financial Institutions / Learn Something New

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.