Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,730 members, 7,955,776 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:45 PM

Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 (23903 Views)

Sanusi Mamman, Yar’Adua University VC To Girlfriend: You Won't Graduate If... / House Of Representatives To Arrest Father Edeh, Madonna University VC / Ajayi Crowther University VC Blast Parents And Students In Open Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 10:43am On Jan 30, 2019
chaiii This life Sha. What a pretty woman. RIP ma.
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by opalu: 10:43am On Jan 30, 2019
RIP
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by ionsman: 10:55am On Jan 30, 2019
byinks:
Very disturbing news... Does anyone know what caused her death and that of the husband 2 years ago ??

Her husband died of High Bp.He slumped whilst trying to pick up the remote.

She died of High Bp too... Don't bother asking how I knew, she's my First cousin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by kunlexbaba2017: 11:09am On Jan 30, 2019
Funny
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by jarmy: 11:13am On Jan 30, 2019
ionsman:

She died of High Bp too... Don't bother asking how I knew, she's my First cousin.
She had worked too hard for a company that rarely appreciates people.

You had a spirit of excellence. rest now ma.
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by AngelicBeing: 11:33am On Jan 30, 2019
ionsman:

Chai, it is kind of a hereditary illness, Rip to her shocked

1 Like

Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by uyisteven(m): 12:13pm On Jan 30, 2019
Would Miss You Greatly...
TTG And Leadership Lectures Made Learning *Fun with you....
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by ionsman: 12:23pm On Jan 30, 2019
byinks:

Damn !

I'm sorry for your loss .

Thanks...
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by Madavis(m): 12:27pm On Jan 30, 2019
Rip Ma
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by wink2015(m): 12:29pm On Jan 30, 2019
TheVictorious:
A Professor of Guidance and Counselling and former Vice-Chancellor of Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State, Aize Obayan, has died. She was 59.

Mrs Obayan, whose cause of death remains unknown, was until her last breath, the Director of Covenant University’s Africa Leadership Development Centre (ALDC).

The late lecturer lost her husband, Adetokunbo Obayan, less than two years ago. Mr Obayan, a leadership trainer, management consultant and founder of Adetokunbo Obayan and Associates, died of an undisclosed ailment on August 15, 2017.

PREMIUM TIMES learnt from reliable sources at the university that the late lecturer had not been active on the campus since October 2018, when she led her centre to hold its fourth Covenant-International Conference on African Development Issues (C-ICADI). The conference featured former Malawian President, Joyce Banda, as keynote speaker.

Mrs Obayan died less than one year after winning her prolonged case at the Supreme Court against her former employer- University of Ilorin, over what she consistently described as her unjust dismissal in September 1999.

Her death, PREMIUM TIMES learnt, had thrown the entire university campus, and the close circle of the popular pastor and Bishop of the Living Faith Church Worldwide, David Oyedepo, into mourning.

Life and times of Mrs Obayan

Born on March 4, 1960, to the family of Sir and Lady Frank Imouokhome in Edo State, Mrs Obayan attended St. Andrews, Scotland, for her “A” Levels and later gained admission to the University of Benin for a B. Ed (English) degree from 1979 to 1982.

She attended the University of Ilorin, Kwara State for her Master’s and Doctorate degrees in Guidance and Counselling. And upon completion of her programmes, she started her career as an Assistant Lecturer at the same university in 1986 and rose through the ranks to become a Reader in 1995.

Between 1996 and 1999, Mrs Obayan was on sabbatical at the University of Roehampton, United Kingdom as a Senior Lecturer in Counselling Psychology. On her return to Nigeria, the University of Ilorin’s management sacked her, saying she overstayed in UK. She, however, challenged the decision at the Federal High Court, Ilorin, insisting she got the approval of the management of the university for her time in the UK.

The Federal High Court, in its judgment, dismissed her case, following which she appealed to the Court of Appeal, who, in judgment on March 10, 2005, reversed the decision of the High Court and voided her sack.

The university and its Governing Council, through the then Vice-Chancellor, Abdulraheem Oba, appealed the judgement at the Supreme Court.

But, in its judgment delivered on February 2, 2018, 19 years after filing the case at the high court, the Supreme Court upheld the judgment of the Court of Appeal, granting the lecturer a victory.

The Supreme Court also held that the Court of Appeal properly invoked estoppel by conduct in favour of the respondent as stipulated by section 169 (formerly Section 151 of Evidence Act).

The court faulted the manner her employment was terminated and held that the respondent was denied fair hearing by the appellants in their decision to terminate her employment.

Justice Akaahs said, in the lead judgement: “I find that this appeal is totally devoid of any merits and it is accordingly dismissed.

“I further affirm the judgment of the lower court delivered on March 10, 2005, which ordered the respondents (now appellants) to reinstate and restore the plaintiff to her post as a lecturer and Reader in the Department of Guardian and Counselling of the university and to restore to her all rights, entitlements and other perquisites of that office and to pay her salaries, allowances and other entitlements from September 1999 to date.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the plaintiff is still in the service of the University of Ilorin. I assess the cost of this needless and vexatious litigation forced on the respondent at N500, 000 in favour of the respondent and against the appellants.”

Meanwhile, while the case against the University of Ilorin lasted, Mrs Obayan was appointed to the Chair in counselling and as Pioneer Head of Department of Human Resource Development at Covenant University.

In July 2003, she was appointed the Dean of the former College of Human Development now part of the College of Development Studies. In October 2004, she became the Coordinator of the University’s School of Postgraduate Studies.

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/308790-ex-covenant-varsity-vc-aize-obayan-dies-at-59.html

I AM SO SAD TO HEAR NEWS OF HER DEATH.

May her soul rest in peace.

Amen.
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by msughdoo: 12:55pm On Jan 30, 2019
I don't believe you. Wikipedia says she died of CANCER.

ionsman:

Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by Brushless: 1:00pm On Jan 30, 2019
byinks:
Very disturbing news... Does anyone know what caused her death and that of the husband 2 years ago ??
Do you know? Even if you do, why not keep shut and let the dead rest in peace.
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by ionsman: 1:17pm On Jan 30, 2019
msughdoo:
I don't believe you. Wikipedia says she died of CANCER.

Okay.
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by tizgracie: 6:09pm On Jan 30, 2019
When I heard about her death, I thought it was an expensive joke and I wish it was.
She was a rear germ, her words held so much wisdom
Rest in peace ma
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by mechanics(m): 8:08pm On Jan 30, 2019
So unfortunate.
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by SoldierBoy1(m): 12:08am On Jan 31, 2019
RIP Ma, one of the best VCs ever, your legacy lives on. You would forever remain in our hearts.
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by tommysin16(f): 12:00pm On Jan 31, 2019
She would be terribly missed. Her teachings were inspirational. She was one of the best VC covenant ever had. Rip.
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by Ayobami7(m): 1:04pm On Jan 31, 2019
RIP

(1) (2) (Reply)

ASUU To FG: Universities Will Be Shut Down Again Over Non-Payment Of Salaries / Kwara State University Renamed Olusola Saraki University / Anglican Girls Grammar School Students Holds Twerking Competition (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.