Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,815 members, 7,956,081 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:55 AM

I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo (733 Views)

Tinubu: Why I Forgave Osinbajo For Contesting Presidential Primaries Against Me / Dino Melaye: I Dumped Saraki For Atiku Because Atiku Is A Great Man / Florence Ajimobi: My Husband, Abiola Cheated Twice And I Forgave Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by deantimes(m): 6:37pm On Jan 30, 2019
Olusegun Obasanjo, former president has said he decided to forgive Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) who served him as vice president because he is a practising christian.

Messrs Obasanjo and Abubakar served as President and Vice President respectively from 1999 to 2007 which shows the duo served two terms of four year each as stipulated in the constitution.

An alleged bid by the former president to secure a third term was thwarted by the former vice president and the duo became political enemies since then until last year when Obasanjo forgave and endorsed the former number two citizen popularly known as Atiku, to slug it out with President Muhammadu Buhari, who is seeking a second term in office.

The former president had once claimed God will not forgive him should he forgive the former vice president and endorsing the political ambition of the latter to become president.

Months after he made the comments, Obasanjo backtracked and forgave Atiku who went with religious and traditional leaders to seek forgiveness from his former principal.

Stating why he forgave the 2019 flag-bearer of the PDP, the former president who made reference to the Bible said the development was because he is a practising christian.

“Atiku accepts responsibility for his mistakes, shows remorse and seeks forgiveness from his political party and subsequently from Nigerians,” Obasanjo said in a statement on Wednesday to commemorate the 75th anniversary of Lagos Island Club.

“He asks for forgiveness from me and as a believer, a Christian as such, I forgave him in accordance with the teaching and instruction of my Saviour, “For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your Heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins (Matt 6:14-15 NIV).

“If anybody blames me for forgiving Atiku, I leave such a person with God Almighty, especially as both Christian and Islamic clerics joined Atiku to visit me to seek forgiveness. Anybody who does not forgive when forgiveness is sought with contrite heart cannot be a true believer and should not expect the forgiveness of God,” he said.

Obasanjo also said some people quoted him out of contest when he said Atiku was not the “expected Messiah.”

“Atiku never claimed to be a saint and I never described him as such. I will never so describe any human being alive let alone calling him a Messiah,” the former president said.

“On an occasion in the past when I said that someone was not a Messiah, some Nigerians out of bad belle were up in arms.

“For me, as a Christian, the only Messiah I know and have is Jesus Christ and even then, the man aspect of Him was imperfect while the divine aspect of Him was perfectly messianic,” he added.

Source: https://politicstimesng.com/forgave-atiku-christian-obasanjo/
Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by sarrki(m): 6:38pm On Jan 30, 2019
We haven’t forgiven him

Coz he sinned against humanity

2 Likes

Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by deantimes(m): 6:39pm On Jan 30, 2019
lalasticlala
Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by deantimes(m): 6:39pm On Jan 30, 2019
grin
Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by Binikingdowm: 6:39pm On Jan 30, 2019
sarrki:
We haven’t forgiven him

Muslims don't know what's like to forgive

1 Like

Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by id911(m): 6:39pm On Jan 30, 2019
sarrki:
We haven’t forgiven him

Who released you from the cage?grin

Better concentrate on your BMC work for the lifeless one

2 Likes

Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by sarrki(m): 6:39pm On Jan 30, 2019
God only forgive you sin that you sin against him

The sin against another person can only be forgiven by that person
Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by modath(f): 6:39pm On Jan 30, 2019
You forgive him? How e konsain us? smiley

The way OBJ arrogate sainthood to himself is just laughable..... Never in his life has he been able to win the PU in front of his father's house or in his neighbourhood but never stops putting up false air of importance....

This election, OBJ will understand the nation is at next level.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by Baawaa(m): 6:39pm On Jan 30, 2019
This old man should shut up for once

3 Likes

Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by modath(f): 6:40pm On Jan 30, 2019
Atiku accepts responsibility for his mistakes, shows remorse and seeks forgiveness from his political party and subsequently from Nigerians,”

Did he make restitution & return all that he has converted illicitly ?

And where & when did he apologise to Nigerians?

As for PDP, no apology needed , dollars took care of it.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by sarrki(m): 6:40pm On Jan 30, 2019
Binikingdowm:
Muslims don't know what's like to forgive

Nah who religion help ?
Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by haywire07(m): 6:40pm On Jan 30, 2019
“Atiku accepts responsibility for his mistakes, shows remorse and seeks forgiveness from his political party and subsequently from Nigerians,”[quote]

All of a sudden when he needed our votes.

As for Obasanjo , I don't know if God can forgive you for imposing any of your candidates on us due to your influence and as long as the candidate asslick you.

Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by Binikingdowm: 6:41pm On Jan 30, 2019
sarrki:

Nah who religion help ?
you see why Muslims are always Behind Christians?

1 Like

Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by Abortions: 7:05pm On Jan 30, 2019
If u like be Theory Christian. Mtshhheeeeeeeew shameless man he will soon go against Atiku like he did to Buhari. If u like don't stay one place. Oloshoic oldman
Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by magoo10(m): 9:12pm On Jan 30, 2019
Who has not committed a sin let him throw the first stone.
Even buhari is a fantastic hypocrite
Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by abc115: 9:23pm On Jan 30, 2019
A thief is always a thief

1 Like

Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by briefness: 9:31pm On Jan 30, 2019
You forgave Atiku because of personal interest. Atiku promised to enrich his friends and if you are not his friend, then you will be left out. Hence, you quickly became a lover of Atiku maybe to buy NNPC.

You tested your popularity by attempting to lead a coalition. It failed woefully. In desperation and personal interest, you joined and started promoting the party and people you repeatedly warned Nigerians against.

After 2 years and Nigeria is worse off under Atiku, you will commence letter writing to exonerate yourself. Nigerians are wiser.

2 Likes

Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by peacettw: 9:48pm On Jan 30, 2019
briefness:
You forgave Atiku because of personal interest. Atiku promised to enrich his friends and if you are not his friend, then you will be left out. Hence, you quickly became a lover of Atiku maybe to buy NNPC.

You tested your popularity by attempting to lead a coalition. It failed woefully. In desperation and personal interest, you joined and started promoting the party and people you repeatedly warned Nigerians against.

After 2 years and Nigeria is worse off under Atiku, you will commence letter writing to exonerate yourself. Nigerians are wiser.

Beautifully put. The whole thing sickens me
Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by focus7: 10:12pm On Jan 30, 2019
Obasanjo is a practical devil

Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by helinues: 10:13pm On Jan 30, 2019
And you couldn't forgive Buhari?

Double standard

1 Like

Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by bonechamberlain(m): 10:22pm On Jan 30, 2019
Why bringing up this topic now, is it because of the Obi VAR technology introduction to absolve Atiku of all wrong accusations by OBJ. grin

BMC sef grin
Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:18am On Jan 31, 2019
This Baba confusion no be for here o!

1 Share

Re: I Forgave Atiku Because I’m A Practising Christian – Obasanjo by Stalwert: 12:33pm On Jan 31, 2019
Obasanjo makes foolishness seem cool

(1) (Reply)

INEC Begins Retrieving Of Materials From Outstations / Atiku's NNPC Obsession- Why He Is So Desperate And Willing To Die For NNPC / Shocking TRUTH About Atiku Abukbakar....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.