Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,659 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

The Origin Of The Igbo - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Origin Of The Igbo (31768 Views)

What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Origin Of The Igbo by ezeagu(m): 10:21pm On Sep 16, 2011
They have some similar words, and their attire isn't far from Igbo around the Cross River clothing either. I think they are partly Muslim though.
Re: The Origin Of The Igbo by Nobody: 11:07pm On Sep 16, 2011
interesting. if you ask me all africans are related. undecided
Re: The Origin Of The Igbo by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:12pm On Sep 16, 2011
no we arent! angry angry angry angry
Re: The Origin Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 11:22pm On Sep 16, 2011
Africans have the greatest genetic diversity in the world, studies say. So if all Africans are related, then that makes non-Africans out to be nothing more than 'families'. grin
Re: The Origin Of The Igbo by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:34pm On Sep 16, 2011
^^ how can ppl say that a Bantu group of tribes is related to the Touaregh Berber this is madness!!!!!! shocked shocked angry angry
Re: The Origin Of The Igbo by Nobody: 12:00am On Sep 18, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

no we arent! angry angry angry angry

gawdemit!

yes angry

[size=18pt]you[/size] angry angry

[size=28pt]are!!!![/size] angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Igbo by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:16pm On Sep 18, 2011
[size=64pt]GODDAMMNUU!!!!!!!!! NO - WE- ARENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size] angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: The Origin Of The Igbo by amor4ce(m): 5:52am On Sep 22, 2011
Was the Israel migration story in existence and spoken about amongst the Igbo people before the arrival of Europeans and their introduction of the Bible to Igboland?
Re: The Origin Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 5:58am On Sep 22, 2011
amor4ce:

Was the Israel migration story in existence and spoken about amongst the Igbo people before the arrival of Europeans and their introduction of the Bible to Igboland?
No. It wasn't and it isn't. At least, not in my region.
Re: The Origin Of The Igbo by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:07pm On Sep 22, 2011
amor4ce:

this foolish story was brought among the Igbo, after the arrival of the european slave masters and christianity in Igboland. i dont get why you Igbo peoples believe in all this nonsense. angry angry angry angry
Re: The Origin Of The Igbo by ezeagu(m): 7:07pm On Sep 22, 2011
The Israel theory may have been introduced by the Igbo diaspora since the 17th century. Igbo people aren't the only group with people claiming Israel descent, Calabar's nickname is Canaan city.
Re: The Origin Of The Igbo by amor4ce(m): 10:50am On Sep 24, 2011
So can one say that Nigerians are fond of inventing history?
I hope that soon, if not today, we will come together to separate the wheat of our history and histories from the chaff.
Re: The Origin Of The Igbo by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jun 12, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
[size=64pt]GODDAMMNUU!!!!!!!!! NO - WE- ARENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size] angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

LMFAO grin grin
Re: The Origin Of The Igbo by Rossikk(m): 2:42pm On Jun 13, 2013
amor4ce: Was the Israel migration story in existence and spoken about amongst the Igbo people before the arrival of Europeans and their introduction of the Bible to Igboland?
Yes it was. Oral traditions etc...Especially in the Nri kingdom.
Re: The Origin Of The Igbo by SUNNYsparkle: 9:51am On Jul 06, 2016
I laugh and find it funny when people narrate certain origin of people. oduduwa fell from heaven and gave birth to 7 sons who gave birth to other sons... Amazing story full of thrash.. So how come people don't fall from the sky these days Some go as far as saying they wandered from Benin to some hinterlands in the east, my question is wandered to do what within such a distance when technology in this part of the world was a child's play at the years they were quoting. All these stories and legends are rubbish and political. How Come, ife found Benin, when Benin as an empire is bigger than Ife and the great Benin civilisation far older than ife? Most ethnic groups and their origin. Almost all groups in Nigeria migrated into Nigeria from other places. The kwa language groups including the Defoid (Yoruboid), Igboid, Nupoid, Edoid, Ebira, Igala, Idomoid etc. dispersed from the confluence of river Niger and Benue to all the places they are, and within those places they migrated to other places as witnessed today.
Re: The Origin Of The Igbo by SUNNYsparkle: 6:35pm On Jul 06, 2016
Ask yourself that if it was in existence when oduduwa left mecca for Ife, actually I don't know whether it was in mecca that he fell from the sky or Ife... Very dumb and lazy story of origin. Mind you ancient Hebrew is a different stock from present Israelites. Whether you like it or not the early Hebrew found their way to Africa were they were maltreated. Some ran away and in the process couldn't find their bearing and migration to Palestine. Due to desertification, they moved further to more deeper directions, and much later with Islamisation of the Sahara and Sudan Africa, they still moved further deeper into other areas. Of course there were intermarriages and cultural influences/contacts and assimilation which took thousands of years ad these migrations occurred
Re: The Origin Of The Igbo by SUNNYsparkle: 6:43pm On Jul 06, 2016
becomrich3:
the origin of the yorubas people is not controversial , yorubas are children of oduduwa. we know our fathers name. And Oduduwa father names was lamurudu.

The people you call western igbo are not igbo, their root is benin. They were just influence by igbos during slavery. The igbos use to attack the place and made them slave.

I laugh and find it funny when people narrate certain
origin of people. oduduwa fell from heaven and gave
birth to 7 sons who gave birth to other sons...
Amazing story full of thrash.. So how come people
don't fall from the sky these days Some go as far
as saying they wandered from Benin to some
hinterlands in the east, my question is wandered to do
what within such a distance when technology in this
part of the world was a child's play at the years they
were quoting. All these stories and legends are
rubbish and political. How Come, ife found Benin,
when Benin as an empire is bigger than Ife and the
great Benin civilisation far older than ife? Most ethnic
groups and their origin. Almost all groups in Nigeria
migrated into Nigeria from other places. The kwa
language groups including the Defoid (Yoruboid),
Igboid, Nupoid, Edoid, Ebira, Igala, Idomoid etc.
dispersed from the confluence of river Niger and
Benue to all the places they are, and within those
places they migrated to other places as witnessed
today.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Visits Alake Of Egbaland (Photos) / Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? / Protesters Demand Suspension Of Oluwo Akanbi For Beating Oba Dhikirulahi Olabira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.