Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,232 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm (194125 Views)

My Pepper Planting Challenge / Fresh Pepper Farm / My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (61) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 2:46pm On Feb 03, 2019
excanny:

What is the name of this systemic chemical you are talking of?
ridomil gold(mancozeb), ridomil gold(copper),saaf,thiophate methyl,red force,team,but copper based fungicides will be a must on the Frontline.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ogbongenet: 3:39pm On Feb 03, 2019
Don't follow online article to farm. How can you plant 25000 stands on 6plots
lahify:
saw this online, would it work?
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ogbongenet: 10:42pm On Feb 06, 2019
So busy nowadays but the peppers are doing great. When you see your plants doing well you feel happy. Post pictures very soon. Thanks

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ogbongenet: 10:07pm On Feb 12, 2019
You can get it from Ibadan office. Where's your location
depopson:
Please where can I get the pepper hybrid seeds. I'm really interested
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ogbongenet: 10:10pm On Feb 12, 2019
Tomorrow morning first thing will be pruning of my pepper,so it form a lot of branches, which means a lot of fruits and bountiful harvest..
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by geekulture: 7:57am On Feb 13, 2019
ogbongenet:
Tomorrow morning first thing will be pruning of my pepper,so it form a lot of branches, which means a lot of fruits and bountiful harvest..

Does hybrid seeds need pruning?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by bayoadeyanju: 1:38pm On Feb 13, 2019
Do you know anyone that can help with the Cultivation of Tomatoes/Pepper? I need reliable farmers, preferably in the South-West, Osun State to be precise that can help to cultivate One Hectare of land. Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 6:49pm On Feb 13, 2019
ogbongenet:
good move if you prune off the top tips it will increase yield by 20-30%,I read about a pepper farm in the Dominican republic,SEMIDOR they also prune off the tips of the branches that was formed from the first pruning to get even more branches,hmmmm,I have not tried that,but op u can try it with a few crops to compare the yield.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ogbongenet: 8:31pm On Feb 13, 2019
This is one of the secret of farming pepper, when you prune, you automatically increase the yield by 20-30 percent. Let's go there...

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ogbongenet: 8:33pm On Feb 13, 2019
Yes the information you read was very correct, I have done that before.
okoroemeka:
good move if you prune off the top tips it will increase yield by 20-30%,I read about a pepper farm in the Dominican republic,SEMIDOR they also prune off the tips of the branches that was formed from the first pruning to get even more branches,hmmmm,I have not tried that,but op u can try it with a few crops to compare the yield.

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ogbongenet: 8:35pm On Feb 13, 2019
Be it hybrid or OPV seed needs to be prune to form a lot of branches.
geekulture:

Does hybrid seeds need pruning?
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by adescopy(m): 1:18am On Feb 14, 2019
Thanks OP for your good work and the mind to share. please I will you to share this info in a tabulated form for newbies that may what to try this out.

how many days before the single transplant was done from the broadcasted seed

how many days before punning was carried out

when to transplant to the field

when to start fungicide application.

Thanks for time

3 Likes

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by kingmuyiwa(m): 5:59pm On Feb 14, 2019
great job. very interesting thread...i am following...pls i need to call or chat you i am about to start i need your advice on some step i am about to take... thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by jidestroud(m): 7:24pm On Feb 14, 2019
ogbongenet:
This is one of the secret of farming pepper, when you prune, you automatically increase the yield by 20-30 percent. Let's go there...

Following with rapt attention. But, I do have this to say from the pruned pepper plant picture you uploaded. You got the pruning wrong. Cutting it the way you did will most likely get the plant killed. You should have at least 4-5 leaves on the plant after pruning, and it will give you more growths from the nodes of the leaves left. Also, try doing it just cutting or pinching off the emerging bud and not by cutting at the point you just did.

Beautiful thread all the same. Good work!!!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by jethro2: 8:06pm On Feb 14, 2019
ogbongenet:

I think peppers are pruned at the base and not at the top
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ogbongenet: 8:10pm On Feb 14, 2019
Thanks for the observation and recommendations, I want to prune and re-prune again.
jidestroud:

Following with rapt attention. But, I do have this to say from the pruned pepper plant picture you uploaded. You got the pruning wrong. Cutting it the way you did will most likely get the plant killed. You should have at least 4-5 leaves on the plant after pruning, and it will give you more growths from the nodes of the leaves left. Also, try doing it just cutting or pinching off the emerging bud and not by cutting at the point you just did.

Beautiful thread all the same. Good work!!!
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ogbongenet: 8:51pm On Feb 14, 2019
The best way to prune pepper is by removing the top node. When you prune the top node the plant brings out new branches. Why I'm I cutting mine beyond that level is that I want a short bushy plant, thought I only did 500 stands as an experiment.i'm planting 2000 stands.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ogbongenet: 8:56pm On Feb 14, 2019
Benefits of pruning is beyond bushy plant, you have a very strong plant, that can not be broken easily by wind.

3 Likes

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ogbongenet: 8:58pm On Feb 14, 2019
I don't get it madam, maybe you explain better
jethro2:

I think peppers are pruned at the base and not at the top
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by jethro2: 9:03pm On Feb 14, 2019
Peppers

11 Likes

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by jethro2: 9:05pm On Feb 14, 2019
ogbongenet:
I don't get it madam, maybe you explain better

The lower and the newest branches or nodes are the ones removed not the top node.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by jethro2: 9:06pm On Feb 14, 2019
Once the peppers have enough nutrients to feed on, prunning might have little or no effect on the fruits size.

5 Likes

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by jethro2: 9:09pm On Feb 14, 2019
New set of peppers coming up

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Pes13: 9:49pm On Feb 14, 2019
Nice thread.
Please, what is the optimum spacing for pepper.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by jidestroud(m): 10:19pm On Feb 14, 2019
ogbongenet:
Thanks for the observation and recommendations, I want to prune and re-prune again.

For sturdier plant right? Cool!. Keep us updated.

Such issues as pruning or topping as the case may be has been up for debate so many times. Personally, I don't top my pepper plants in my garden except I see one growing unnecessary tall and looking fragile grin. I haven't been conscious enough to get statistical figures from such plants against the ones growing without pruning or topping. Let's see how your 500 pruned pepper plants do against the others in terms of fruit production.
Always a fan of practical farming any day any time.

I don reserve permanent seat for this your beautiful thread. God's speed.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by jidestroud(m): 10:25pm On Feb 14, 2019
jethro2:

The lower and the newest branches or nodes are the ones removed not the top node.
I think the right word to use is "topping" his pepper plant; were the top node is removed. Though, i find this very difficult practising on a large scale commercial pepper farm. And yes, you're also very correct.

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ogbongenet: 10:58pm On Feb 14, 2019

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 11:44pm On Feb 14, 2019
jidestroud:

I think the right word to use is "topping" his pepper plant; were the top node is removed. Though, i find this very difficult practising on a large scale commercial pepper farm. And yes, you're also very correct.
I cannot say about other hot pepper varieties,but what we noticed with the avenir f1 is if u don't prune it will naturally form a Y branch and will form other Y branches from the first one,but if u prune it off you will see not less than 5-6 individual branches that will further form Y branches translating to higher yields,we have done the experiment between pruned and unpruned peppers the results is no contest,at any given time the pruned crops have 150-200+ fruits on it,I will not even think about hot pepper farming without pruning.and pls nothing is difficult in using your fingers and pinching off growth nodes while they are still in nursery,the manure we bagged today that one na real back breaking work.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 11:50pm On Feb 14, 2019
jethro2:
New set of peppers coming up
is that spacing not to small for hot peppers of is it a variety that does not grow bushy
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by jidestroud(m): 6:48am On Feb 15, 2019
okoroemeka:
I cannot say about other hot pepper varieties,but what we noticed with the avenir f1 is if u don't prune it will naturally form a Y branch and will form other Y branches from the first one,but if u prune it off you will see not less than 5-6 individual branches that will further form Y branches translating to higher yields,we have done the experiment between pruned and unpruned peppers the results is no contest,at any given time the pruned crops have 150-200+ fruits on it,I will not even think about hot pepper farming without pruning.and pls nothing is difficult in using your fingers and pinching off growth nodes while they are still in nursery,the manure we bagged today that one na real back breaking work.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Manure bagging into sacks? Hahaha grin. That one na labour na hehehe
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by QTCL(m): 9:07pm On Feb 17, 2019
Spacing is too close
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by mayhills082: 10:39pm On Feb 17, 2019
Mayhills Agro allied consult
The following commodities are available for supply in large quantity
Maize
Wheat
Millet
Palm kernel nut
Palm kernel shell
Soya beans
Cassava
Sesame seeds
Dry split ginger
Shea nut
Shea butter
Charcoal
Hibiscus flower
2019 season Raw cashew nuts
Processed cashew nuts
Donkey skin
Moringa seed
Bitter kola
Crates of eggs

Interested buyers should contact me on 09074984693

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (61) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farming: My Story / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.