Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,213 members, 7,811,582 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:04 PM

Questions I Get Being A Medical Student And My Reflections - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Questions I Get Being A Medical Student And My Reflections (331 Views)

Na Questions I No Fit Solve I Wan Dey Set: Usman Danfodio University Lecturer / Obituary Of ABUAD Potential Best Graduating Student And His Mother / IMT Student And His "Customised Vehicle" Storm School In Enugu. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Questions I Get Being A Medical Student And My Reflections by OTBGLOBAL(m): 8:48am On Feb 02, 2019
"Sometimes in life, you do things you don’t want to. Sometimes you sacrifice, sometimes you compromise. Sometimes you let go and sometimes you fight. It’s all about deciding what’s worth losing and what’s worth keeping" - Lindy Zart.

Most of the time, I recieve a lot of messages from young inquisitive individuals asking me questions like: "how did you discover your niche?', 'what actually is your motivation?' or 'what keeps you going?' ‘how do you cope with what you do in medical school?" These questions and many more.

I will be answering many of these questions in outlines so I won’t have to digress and lose focus while I answer. I hope these write up meets your expectations of me.

PURPOSE DISCOVERY:

I must say that this is the area I get most questions from - ‘how were you able to discover yourself and your passion?’ Most Young folks ask me this exact question many times. Here is a chance to answer it without holding anything significant behind.

It all started in my junior secondary school years, during these years, I would fantasise events which I put in writing in form of stories. I remember vividly that some of the stories I wrote then covered almost a 40leaves exercise book. Some of my class girls who were story lovers would come to me to borrow my stories for twenty naira. These years, the passion to write was birthed.

Understanding my sources of inspiration has been a recurring event of amazement. The moment I find myself isolated in a silent place, having my body, soul and spirit together, I feel the will and passion to write. This, I believe is divine. I believe God has blessed every individual with a or more unique gifts divinely designed to make him/her standout in life. Although there is more to the gifts we are blessed with. That may be a story for another day.

Unfortunately, I had to stop writing in senior secondary school when I couldn't publish any of my written books as my parents couldn't afford the cost for publication and neither could a young teenager like me could. A sum of forty thousand naira to publish one book caused me to put my pen to bed. I remember questioning fate for putting me in such a situation of financial incapability. I was totally wrong then. I would have continued then if had gotten a mentor to encourage me, or someone to tell me how to expand my spheres and outreach. There was non so my pen laid inkful.

*TRANSFORMED BY ASSOCIATION*

When I got admitted in 2015, It was another story entirely. During my first year, I couldn't even remember I could write or do anything creative again. All I had in mind was studying the dream course of thousands of people 'Medicine and Surgery', so I took it very serious and in fact i was known all over my faculty as "the very booky - Tolani!" I wasn't thinking of anything else, nothing at all than my books alone and being a Medical Doctor.

On getting to the college of medicine I met a colleague in the senior class who was doing a lot of amazing things aside medical school and he still does till date. I started engaging with him and discussed my story with him and he connected me to other people who were also medical students and doing amazing stuffs with their inherent ability. Deep within me, I had always believed I could be more than a medical student because I've got more in me. Till this very moment, the calibre of friends I find myself asscoiated with has immensely contibuted to who I am. To whom much is given much is expected is what they say right? When I learnt of this stone aged saying, I realised how much I owed myself with the potentials in me.

*YES! I AM A MEDICAL STUDENT*
Yes! I am still the very passionate medical school who is willing to rewrite the narratives of Nigeria health care system. I haven't lost focus of being a medical student neither have I thought of leaving medical school. The only thing that changed is that I saw the need to be more and that's why I began to intentional build a brand for myself. Many may have guessed how I put this great pieces together. It's neither magic nor a simple math.

*THE CHALLENGES I FACE*
If I tell you it has been easy juggling lots of things together with medical student then I will be deceiving you. I've had to miss classes many times just to attend a professional training one time or the other to build my skills and mental capacity so that I will be able to feature in the future I envision. Since the day I discovered that there's always a PRICE to be paid for every PRIZE, I realised the cross was mine to carry and was ready to bear the consequence of any of my action. All these, with quality faith in God. After all, he helped me find Me.

I hear a lot of discouraging words from colleagues, sometimes a lot of them tagged me as the seemingly unserious fellow who has lost focus of himself and destiny. A little advice: don't always think everybody you find out there doing amazing stuffs on social media don't have challenges. The uncompromising truth is that many of them face the biggest challenges but they have chosen to inspire others with what they do despite the heavy storm of life they sail through.

*I AM NOT PUTTING MY LIFE ON SOCIAL MEDIA*
You must be surprised I mentioned this, right? Well, some accused me of putting everything about me on social media and that it wasn't necessary of me. One thing I must not forget to say is that what my brand stands for is 'inspiring others to discover themselves through my lifestyle'. There are times that I get complimenting comments on my efforts from friends and even people I have never met. Truly, these things can be overwhelming at times. I tend to share few of them most times on my WhatsApp story but simply not to tell people I am getting such messages rather to spark up something in them and also help them discover their inherent abilities. I see this as a means of motivating the world around me.

MY MOTIVATION IS VERY PURE
Somebody once asked me if I do most of the things I do to get fame or the likes. It sounded quite interesting tho, but one thing I'm sure of is that no one embarks on something with the aim of getting fame without enjoying it. I enjoy what I do and I'm finding purpose in it. One thing that keeps me going which is one of the most important thing to me is the stories I get from people, the commendation and the complement. I am always happy to know that God is helping me to give some people hope and also help them become a better version of themselves. One very known impact driven change maker once said 'It's not for profit neither is it for loss'.

I hope to have answered some of your questions about me with this little piece. I appreciate your audience.

I love you. Till later.

(1) (Reply)

FUPRE Postgraduate Admission List 2018/19 / Final Year Project / JAMB Closes Sales Of UTME Registration Forms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.