Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period (18518 Views)

5 Investment Ideas On Building Wealth / 5 Investment Mistakes That Will Make You Broke - How To Avoid Them / $3.5 Investment- Interest Free Loan Network (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by Ravon: 10:08am On Feb 02, 2019
Okoro was busy talking to himself, murmuring in his room after looking at his investment portfolio and reviewing the current situation in the country. What do I do now? Election is coming up in few weeks – will the incumbent be retained, or will a new president be voted into power? There is so much uncertainty. Where do I keep the funds I intend to invest, and where do I transfer my existing investment portfolio to maximize returns? Okoro was disturbed.

Just before the last election, he withdrew his investments from the stock market only to hear that there was a growth of 12.5% over a 3-day period immediately after the announcement that a new president was voted into power as well as the peaceful transition that followed.

Okoro wants to know how he can manage the situation this time to get the best value from his investment portfolio and ensure he never gets broke?

Hmmm… Let’s try to provide some solution to Okoro’s dilemma…

Election comes every 4 years but we have financial goals to achieve regardless of who wins- incumbent continues with the existing policies or a new winner emerges and promotes new policies to better the achievement of the previous government.

These actions are not expected to influence your investment goals if you always apply the five investment principles highlighted below;

1. Be clear on your financial goals – Why are you keeping the funds away? How long are you looking at? Apply the SMART acronym to your goals- ensure that your goal is Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time-Bound.

2. Know your financial status – What is your Net worth? Deduct your liabilities (what takes money away from you) from your assets (what makes money for you). Measure your cash flow and expenses with the help of a Budget. All of these would help you create a convenient savings plan towards achieving your financial goals.

3. There are so many goals running through your mind. Therefore, it is required that we split our goals into 3 different categories namely: Short term (those you want to achieve in 2 years), medium term (those you want to achieve between 2 to 10 years) and long term (those you want to achieve above 10 years).

4. Implement your strategies – You need to understand that the different financial instrument available are suitable for the specific category of goals identified above. For instance, short term instruments are Treasury bills, the Money Market Fund. Medium Term is Balanced mutual fund while long terms are Stocks and real estate. You might need a Financial Advisor to help out.

5. Review your investment – Align your investment plan with new policies to ensure you are making the most value for yourself. Always review your short-term investment every 3 months, medium-term goals every 6 months, Long term goals annually.

These are tested and trusted principles that will provide the hedge required on your investment portfolio at all times regardless of what changes in the economy.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/2019/02/02/5-investment-principles-to-use-during-an-election-period/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by freemanbubble: 10:12am On Feb 02, 2019
Okay

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by Milllz: 10:12am On Feb 02, 2019
There’s only 1 principle;

Change all your funds to hard currencies because if Buhari mistakenly wins again, the value of our currency will crash.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by collinsVP: 10:13am On Feb 02, 2019
Pure academic exercise.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by IbrahimDamola: 10:13am On Feb 02, 2019
Hj
Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by emmykk(m): 10:14am On Feb 02, 2019
Fellow Nigerians,
Vote Atiku Abubakar for president

12 Likes

Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by asdfjklhaha(f): 10:14am On Feb 02, 2019
ok

1 Like

Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by Nobody: 10:16am On Feb 02, 2019
Words and theories from people who know nothing about business.

Check my signature to compare and book the cheapest possible flights and hotels worldwide. It's TOTALLY FREE and you save up to 75%
Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by Miracle4Sure: 10:17am On Feb 02, 2019
shocked
Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by Jnrbayerno(m): 10:18am On Feb 02, 2019
cry
Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by Nobody: 10:19am On Feb 02, 2019
What better investment than chase out those at the helms of affairs, who has no economic blueprint for Nigeria?

6 Likes

Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by Okaakoko(m): 10:20am On Feb 02, 2019
Noted
Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by helinues: 10:23am On Feb 02, 2019
Nice tips
Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by mysterydude: 10:23am On Feb 02, 2019
emmykk:
Fellow Nigerians, Vote Atiku Abubalar for president
taah! atiku abubalar ko, abula ni.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by HAH: 10:24am On Feb 02, 2019
I pity those who invest in capital market if Buhari comes back, better do money market

But if Atiku is announced president there will be bullish run unless he squandered it like how Buhari squandered the so called body language when he came in

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by Auduambless(m): 10:24am On Feb 02, 2019
100 LIKES ONLY FOR #ATIKUOBI2019100 LIKES ONLY FOR #ATIKUOBI2019100 LIKES ONLY FOR #ATIKUOBI2019

4 Likes

Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by Mariangeles(f): 10:24am On Feb 02, 2019
Milllz:

Change all your funds to hard currencies because if Buhari mistakenly wins again, the value of our currency will crash.
OK!
Is that why most people keep buying bitcoins and hardly sell...??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by Nobody: 10:28am On Feb 02, 2019
Bought dollars. Have lost 2 naira per dollar. I weak
Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by Milllz: 10:29am On Feb 02, 2019
Mariangeles:
OK!
Is that why most people keep buying bitcoins and hardly sell...??

I don’t know about that, but Bitcoin is the worst investment to make right now unless you’re into short buying and selling.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by IbrahimDamola: 10:31am On Feb 02, 2019
My brother, I suffered hell after the last 2015 election. The euphoria caused a cosmetic but short lived increase in the stock market, I remember Garba shehu claiming that the increase the stock market was a result of booharri economic mastership even without Ministers. He claimed 'Nigerians have never had it so good'. grin

Then few weeks later the stock market crashed, naira crashed, banks where I deposited Dollar in my domicilliary account were unwilling to pay us back in dollars, they were asking us to take naira even at a much lesser value than what was deposited, they claimed it was CBN policy, I was told I couldn't even buy goods with dollars in my account from China and India. Later they said I was going to need an 'inflow' from outside the country to pay for goods in China and india, that the cash deposit in my account even though enough to pay for goods 'does not qualify'. There was chaos, Godwin emefiele the dunderhead at CBN was confused. It was One 'trial and error' useless policy after another.

I was incensed and remember confronting the bank manager on one occasion, I told him in clear terms, 'I gave you dollars when I deposited in my account, give me back my dollars!', 'you don't have dollars but you are giving dollars to big men and politicians for round-tripping abi'. I was ready to cause a scene in that bank. They finally gave my dollars in CASH and I took it start saving it at home till today, I've not touched that dorm account again.

See, buharii was a pain the arse economically, he needs to be booted out. Nobody with great financial intellect will support him. Nobody!

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by XTHRONE(m): 10:33am On Feb 02, 2019
OK...today is my birthday. Show me love people

4 Likes

Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by Yinxies(f): 10:35am On Feb 02, 2019
Okay. Nice

Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by Nobody: 10:36am On Feb 02, 2019
Long Story.

These are the ways you can never succeed in business.

1. Doing the wrong business.

2. Doing the right business in a wrong way.

3. Doing any business in a wrong economy(Nigeria).

1 Like

Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by IbrahimDamola: 10:36am On Feb 02, 2019
Milllz:

You are very correct, exactly my experience last election period but the grace of God, booharri will not come back.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by Strongbest(m): 10:39am On Feb 02, 2019
Nice, just in case you're looking for a side business, check this out:

www.nairaland.com/1798724/

Thank me later.
Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by AJCs(m): 10:40am On Feb 02, 2019
That's lovely!
farmland opportunity!!!
Outright sale of virgin farmlands, Cocoa farmland are currently available at Osun state for a grab.
You can contact us for adequate detail: 07032410889, 08085756092.
Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by AreaFada2: 10:40am On Feb 02, 2019
IbrahimDamola:
My brother, I suffered hell after the last 2015 election. The euphoria caused a cosmetic but short lived increase in the stock market, I remember Garba shehu claiming that the increase the stock market was a result of booharri economic mastership even without Ministers. He claimed 'Nigerians have never had it so good'. grin

Then few weeks later the stock market crashed, naira crashed, banks where I deposited Dollar in my domicilliary account where unwilling to pay us pack in dollars, they were asking us to take naira even at a much lesser value than what was deposited, they claimed it was CBN policy, I was told I couldn't even by goods with dollars in my account from China and India. Later they said I was going to need an 'inflow' from outside the country to pay for goods in China and india, that the cash deposit in my account even though enough to pay for goods 'does not qualify'. There was chaos, Godwin emefiele the dunderhead at CBN was confused. It was One useless policy after another.

I was incensed and remember confronting the bank manager on one occasion, I told him in clear terms, 'I gave you dollars when I deposited in my account, give me back my dollars!', 'you don't have dollars but you are giving dollars to big men and politicians for round-tripping abi'. I was ready to cause a scene in that bank. They finally gave my dollars in CASH and I took it start saving it at home till today, I've not touched that dorm account again.

See, buharii was a pain the arse economically, he needs to be booted out.
But those 30k BMC goons and jobless zombies say Buhari is the father of modern economic wonder. grin

I do not blame them. Na who chop belleful and buy dollar or invest will know about a failing economy. So BMC goons/zombies won't know. Since many still eat from mummy's pot and collect transport money from daddy, they won't know about inflation either. grin cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Investment Principles To Use During An Election Period by mymadam(m): 10:42am On Feb 02, 2019
Joromi12:
Bought dollars. Have lost 2 naira per dollar. I weak

Relax buddy. U gonna bounce back... soon, very soon wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

More Foreign Investors Leave As FPI Flows Crash By 228% / Pennywise Wealth Management / How Can I Invest Forty Million Naira And Get Good Returns Monthly?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.