Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes (17817 Views)

Geleta Ulfata Wins Lagos Marathon 2022 (Photos) / Pictures And Videos Of The Lagos Marathon At Lekki / PHOTOS: Jay Jay Okocha At Lagos Marathon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by money121(m): 4:10pm On Feb 02, 2019
Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians dislodge Kenyans as winners of top prizes

…Ambode Gifts Upcoming Artiste N2,5m, Says Road Race Has Come To Stay

…As Over 100,000 Athletes From 58 Countries Participate In 2019 Edition

East Africans on Saturday retained their dominance of the Access Bank Lagos City Marathon carting away the star prizes in the male and female categories of $50,000 each.

This time around, however, an Ethiopian, Sintatehu Legese won the star prize of $50, 000 in the male category finishing the race in 2 hours, 17 minutes and 28 seconds to beat defending champion, Joshua Kiprotich from Kenya who breast the tape in 2 hours, 18 minutes and 16 seconds to emerge first runner up with a prize money of $40,000.

Kiprotich’s compatriot, William Yegon came third in the time of 2 hours, 19 minutes and four seconds, winning $30,000.

In the female category, it was a clean sweep for Ethiopia as the trio of Meseret Dinke, Alemenesh Herpha Guta and Kebena Chala finished first, second and third to win $50,000, $40,000 and $30,000 respectively.

Gideon Goyet was the first Nigerian to cross the finishing line in 2 hours, 30 minutes to win N3million, beating last year’s champion, Iliya Pam to second place, with a prize money of N2million.

Speaking while presenting prizes to the winners, Lagos State Governor, Mr Akinwunmi Ambode said it was gratifying that the marathon was getting bigger and better yearly, adding that the competition had come to stay.

He specifically appreciated all Lagosians for cooperating with government to ensure success of the tournament each year since it began four years ago, saying the initiative was basically in line with the determination of his administration to use sports, tourism and entertainment to promote Lagos and grow the State’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

“I want to say a big thank you to all Lagosians for tolerating us in the last four years because this is the fourth time we are doing this Lagos Access Marathon and it has been improving year in, year out. This year, we had 58 countries participating and over 100,000 athletes also taking part in this journey.

“The marathon is part of our administration’s initiative to use sports, tourism, entertainment, arts and culture to promote the excellence of Lagos and positively engage the youth. The competition has been getting bigger and better yearly and this year’s edition is exceptional being that it attracted highest participation worldwide and increase in the number of athletes and prizes,” Governor Ambode said.

While expressing optimism that the marathon would be sustained, Governor Ambode urged Lagosians to vote for all the candidates of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the forthcoming general elections from the Presidency to National Assembly and at the State levels.

“I believe strongly that what we have started will be continued by the APC gubernatorial candidate, Jide Sanwo-Olu when he comes in and I believe strongly also that this will take the GDP of Lagos to greater heights.

“Remember next Saturday is presidential election. You know where my heart is and that is four plus four; that is where we are going to be. On March 2nd also, we do the same thing which is to vote all APC candidates in the State. God bless all Lagosians; I love all of you and I remain yours forever,” the Governor said.

Besides, Governor Ambode also used the occasion to donate N2.5million to an upcoming artiste, Johnson David who was called to perform on stage from the crowd by Nigerian hip-hop star, D Banj.

“We just want to say a big thank you to D Banj for the opportunity to bring out this kind of talent impromptu. I was just going to say D Banj should mentor him and in addition to that, my initial contribution is to give him N2.5million.

“This is what the Lagos story is all about –if you can dream it, you can make it happen. So, he must have been dreaming it and today he has gotten the access to the Lagos Access Bank Marathon and today, he is a change

So, this is what we have always been saying; the future belongs to all these young people and you can see that all of you are almost in the same age bracket and this is what the future of Lagos is and what we want to preach and continue to preach that every person can have that opportunity to make it in life,” he said.

The high point of the event was various performances by a-list artistes including Teni, CDQ, Slim Case, Olamide and D Banj who equally seized the opportunity to commend Governor Ambode for initiating and implementing the platform of the marathon and for his achievements in office in the last three and half years.

Source: https://www.imranservices.com.ng/2019/02/02/lagos-marathon-ethiopians-dislodge-kenyans-as-winners-of-top-prizes/

lalasticlala, Mynd44

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by money121(m): 4:10pm On Feb 02, 2019
Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by ddooskie(m): 5:17pm On Feb 02, 2019
shocked everything that has a beginning surely has an end.
You'll pull through whatever you might be going through just hold on. cool

11 Likes

Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by NwaOhafia: 5:18pm On Feb 02, 2019
This one is always a free way for Kenyans and Ethiopians to get their own free money from Nigeria, cos I don't see any Nigerian winning this anytime soon.

Watin be this one wey D'banj wear

26 Likes

Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by celebgistz: 5:18pm On Feb 02, 2019
Nice
Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by wfbtt: 5:18pm On Feb 02, 2019
affordable web development
Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by freemanbubble: 5:18pm On Feb 02, 2019
Okay
Marathon nor be moi moi o
All those Kenyans and Ethiopian dey try o.
He be like say all those people nor dey enter transport go anywhere for their country. Na run them dey run go market, work and school

Na when i try am for uniben marathon last year na im i take know say that thing hard
Although i was able to finish but during the race it seems my whole heart was about to jump out. After the race i didn't get myself back for two days. I was drinking liquid of all types.

29 Likes

Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by Maket: 5:21pm On Feb 02, 2019
See money made in just 2hrs 17minutes. God, pls bless our hustle.

I don vex, my training against next season starts tomorrow's morning.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by Nobody: 5:21pm On Feb 02, 2019
grin Herbert Wigwe sef.
Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by blaquemyc: 5:21pm On Feb 02, 2019
East Africans and marathon..........

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by meneski(m): 5:21pm On Feb 02, 2019
see money for dis new year...guy ur own don de set o.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by Contactme76(m): 5:22pm On Feb 02, 2019
money121:
Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians dislodge Kenyans as winners of top prizes

…Ambode Gifts Upcoming Artiste N2,5m, Says Road Race Has Come To Stay

…As Over 100,000 Athletes From 58 Countries Participate In 2019 Edition

East Africans on Saturday retained their dominance of the Access Bank Lagos City Marathon carting away the star prizes in the male and female categories of $50,000 each.

This time around, however, an Ethiopian, Sintatehu Legese won the star prize of $50, 000 in the male category finishing the race in 2 hours, 17 minutes and 28 seconds to beat defending champion, Joshua Kiprotich from Kenya who breast the tape in 2 hours, 18 minutes and 16 seconds to emerge first runner up with a prize money of $40,000.

Kiprotich’s compatriot, William Yegon came third in the time of 2 hours, 19 minutes and four seconds, winning $30,000.

In the female category, it was a clean sweep for Ethiopia as the trio of Meseret Dinke, Alemenesh Herpha Guta and Kebena Chala finished first, second and third to win $50,000, $40,000 and $30,000 respectively.

Gideon Goyet was the first Nigerian to cross the finishing line in 2 hours, 30 minutes to win N3million, beating last year’s champion, Iliya Pam to second place, with a prize money of N2million.

Speaking while presenting prizes to the winners, Lagos State Governor, Mr Akinwunmi Ambode said it was gratifying that the marathon was getting bigger and better yearly, adding that the competition had come to stay.

He specifically appreciated all Lagosians for cooperating with government to ensure success of the tournament each year since it began four years ago, saying the initiative was basically in line with the determination of his administration to use sports, tourism and entertainment to promote Lagos and grow the State’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

“I want to say a big thank you to all Lagosians for tolerating us in the last four years because this is the fourth time we are doing this Lagos Access Marathon and it has been improving year in, year out. This year, we had 58 countries participating and over 100,000 athletes also taking part in this journey.

“The marathon is part of our administration’s initiative to use sports, tourism, entertainment, arts and culture to promote the excellence of Lagos and positively engage the youth. The competition has been getting bigger and better yearly and this year’s edition is exceptional being that it attracted highest participation worldwide and increase in the number of athletes and prizes,” Governor Ambode said.

While expressing optimism that the marathon would be sustained, Governor Ambode urged Lagosians to vote for all the candidates of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the forthcoming general elections from the Presidency to National Assembly and at the State levels.

“I believe strongly that what we have started will be continued by the APC gubernatorial candidate, Jide Sanwo-Olu when he comes in and I believe strongly also that this will take the GDP of Lagos to greater heights.

“Remember next Saturday is presidential election. You know where my heart is and that is four plus four; that is where we are going to be. On March 2nd also, we do the same thing which is to vote all APC candidates in the State. God bless all Lagosians; I love all of you and I remain yours forever,” the Governor said.

Besides, Governor Ambode also used the occasion to donate N2.5million to an upcoming artiste, Johnson David who was called to perform on stage from the crowd by Nigerian hip-hop star, D Banj.

“We just want to say a big thank you to D Banj for the opportunity to bring out this kind of talent impromptu. I was just going to say D Banj should mentor him and in addition to that, my initial contribution is to give him N2.5million.

“This is what the Lagos story is all about –if you can dream it, you can make it happen. So, he must have been dreaming it and today he has gotten the access to the Lagos Access Bank Marathon and today, he is a change

So, this is what we have always been saying; the future belongs to all these young people and you can see that all of you are almost in the same age bracket and this is what the future of Lagos is and what we want to preach and continue to preach that every person can have that opportunity to make it in life,” he said.

The high point of the event was various performances by a-list artistes including Teni, CDQ, Slim Case, Olamide and D Banj who equally seized the opportunity to commend Governor Ambode for initiating and implementing the platform of the marathon and for his achievements in office in the last three and half years.

Source: https://www.imranservices.com.ng/2019/02/02/lagos-marathon-ethiopians-dislodge-kenyans-as-winners-of-top-prizes/

lalasticlala, Mynd44
Ethiopians and Kenyans Dey run abeg

Check my signature to migrate to Canada
Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by gurunlocker: 5:24pm On Feb 02, 2019
See as Dbanj stand like confuse person

1 Like

Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by TotoNaRubber: 5:24pm On Feb 02, 2019
Even the guys are carrying playcards of Ist prize female, can't you differentiate male from female mtcewww
Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by drey076(m): 5:26pm On Feb 02, 2019
Nigerians didn't not win any prize in both male and female categories

Lazy youths

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by Okoroawusa: 5:31pm On Feb 02, 2019
NwaOhafia:
This one is always a free way for Kenyans and Ethiopians to get there own free money from Nigeria, cos I don't see any Nigerian winning this anytime soon.

Watin be this one wey D'banj wear
My brother this Dbanj matter tire person...

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by Nobody: 5:35pm On Feb 02, 2019
freemanbubble:
Okay
Marathon nor be moi moi o
All those Kenyans and Ethiopian dey try o.
He be like say all those people nor dey enter transport go anywhere for their country. Na run them dey run go market, work and school

Na when i try am for uniben marathon last year na im i take know say that thing hard
Although i was able to finish but during the race it seems my whole heart was about to jump out. After the race i didn't get myself back for two days. I was drinking liquid of all types.
Freeman bubble I just dey quote you since and you no dey reply abi?
Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by klever18(m): 5:39pm On Feb 02, 2019
I believe there could have been a winner from those 30k number of youths that went to bbnaija audition. atleast our money could not have been given to those Ethopians

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by klever18(m): 5:41pm On Feb 02, 2019
drey076:
Nigerians didn't not win any prize in both male and female categories

Lazy youths
post a picture of you in the marathon

1 Like

Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by thesicilian: 5:49pm On Feb 02, 2019
Maket:
See money made in just 2hrs 17minutes. God, pls bless our hustle.

I don vex, my training against next season starts tomorrow's morning.
It wasn't made in 2hrs 17mins. That was just the time it took to showcase the work that had been going on for many months now in terms of trainings, exercises, and self denials.

21 Likes

Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by Pavore9: 6:03pm On Feb 02, 2019
thesicilian:

It wasn't made in 2hrs 17mins. That was just the time it took to showcase the work that had been going on for many months now in terms of trainings, exercises, and self denials.

You are so right, these runners go through rigorous trainings. Runners from Plateau and Taraba stand any chance to compete with East Africans if they are taken to training camps in Kenya and Ethiopia.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by Larryallovernig: 6:03pm On Feb 02, 2019
tongue

1 Like

Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by freemanbubble: 6:06pm On Feb 02, 2019
futurist369:
Freeman bubble I just dey quote you since and you no dey reply abi?
Bros i dey here o
Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by Nobody: 6:13pm On Feb 02, 2019
freemanbubble:

Bros i dey here o
abeg tell Osazie make I'm wrap small weed for me lah
Re: Lagos Marathon: Ethiopians Dislodge Kenyans As Winners Of Top Prizes by freemanbubble: 6:15pm On Feb 02, 2019
futurist369:
abeg tell Osazie make I'm wrap small weed for me lah

You also dey kpoleee?
If so nor worry
We go update one thousand Naira weed later

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dennerby Releases Super Falcons 23 Woman List For Women's World Cup. / Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Announces Retirement From International Football / AFCON Semi-Final: VP Shettima Celebrates With Super Eagles Squad (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.