Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. (3095 Views)

Learning Programming. (my Nairaland Journal) / After Learning Programming What Next?? / Avoid The Hard Ways Of Learning Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by Startup00: 6:03pm On Feb 02, 2019
Good evening gurus in the house. I do not intend to bore you with long talks. I started programming lessons mid last year December but currently have started loosing interest due to some reasons.
A friend of mine gave me materials on HTML, CSS, JavaScript, SQL and Php. The learning processs was to start with HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
Have been able to write HTML and CSS codes and even use Bootstrap frame work. Started learning JavaScript and for two weeks have always closed my laptop after few minutes. It's sounds boring to me, pls I need help on how I can learn this effectively. Thanks.
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by asalimpo(m): 6:27pm On Feb 02, 2019
Startup00:
Good evening gurus in the house. I do not intend to bore you with long talks. I started programming lessons mid last year December but currently have started loosing interest due to some reasons.
A friend of mine gave me materials on HTML, CSS, JavaScript, SQL and Php. The learning processs was to start with HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
Have been able to write HTML and CSS codes and even use Bootstrap frame work. Started learning JavaScript and for two weeks have always closed my laptop after few minutes. It's sounds boring to me, pls I need help on how I can learn this effectively. Thanks.
you hav to stay with it. There's no shortcut. Many aspects of programming are dry nd dull nd repetitive. One thing you can do is psych yourself up with uplifting thoughts. E.g soon 2019 will become 2021, in the span of time,i could either become a pro webdev or a person who tried nd quit. Taking a phd takes 4+ whooping years,it's too long. Psychup: in 4 yrs,which will soon pass by like breeze,i can either upgrade to phD or still b as i am. So,by looking at hope at what u can become in d future,u endure d dryness of d present. It's not easy though. I've strted many projects nd quite because they were- boring!

9 Likes

Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by Talkwisdom(m): 7:18pm On Feb 02, 2019
Startup00:
Bro you are not alone...i was like you few months ago until I met a white man who is learning HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT at 50years old.i then ,decided to sit up

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by greatface(m): 9:46pm On Feb 02, 2019
It is not easy and will never be easy.

Being determined and knowing where you want to be and what you intend to accomplish will go a long way in keeping you motivated.

One more thing, are you learning from one source and maybe never tried other tutorials else from the ones your friend gave you?
Maybe you should try other tutorials. Tutorialspoint.com and w3schools.com has gentle ways of introducing programming concepts to newbies and its free. You should check them out and when you're confortable, you can move to more advanced levels.

Finally, if javascript is not sitting well with you, try php first or any other language like python and you can come back to javascript when you're more prepared.

Success...
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by FunctionX(m): 10:00pm On Feb 02, 2019
Try lynda.com pluralsight.com or skillshare
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by Startup00: 12:34am On Feb 03, 2019
asalimpo:

you hav to stay with it. There's no shortcut. Many aspects of programming are dry nd dull nd repetitive. One thing you can do is psych yourself up with uplifting thoughts. E.g soon 2019 will become 2021, in the span of time,i could either become a pro webdev or a person who tried nd quit. Taking a phd takes 4+ whooping years,it's too long. Psychup: in 4 yrs,which will soon pass by like breeze,i can either upgrade to phD or still b as i am. So,by looking at hope at what u can become in d future,u endure d dryness of d present. It's not easy though. I've strted many projects nd quite because they were- boring!
Thanks, I really appreciate.
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by Startup00: 12:36am On Feb 03, 2019
greatface:
It is not easy and will never be easy.

Being determined and knowing where you want to be and what you intend to accomplish will go a long way in keeping you motivated.

One more thing, are you learning from one source and maybe never tried other tutorials else from the ones your friend gave you?
Maybe you should try other tutorials. Tutorialspoint.com and w3schools.com has gentle ways of introducing programming concepts to newbies and its free. You should check them out and when you're confortable, you can move to more advanced levels.

Finally, if javascript is not sitting well with you, try php first or any other language like python and you can come back to javascript when you're more prepared.

Success...
Tried W3schools but im still not getting it at a fast pace though it’s much better than the video tutorials. Moreover, I thought I have to learn JavaScript before going into Php or any other programming language? Thanks for your response. I’m grateful
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by Startup00: 12:38am On Feb 03, 2019
FunctionX:
Try lynda.com pluralsight.com or skillshare
I will probably get a Lynda.com Account tomorrow. I pray it helps with learning.
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by FunctionX(m): 6:44am On Feb 03, 2019
Startup00:

I will probably get a Lynda.com Account tomorrow. I pray it helps with learning.

Check My Topics And Signature, the price is very affordable.
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by greatface(m): 8:14am On Feb 03, 2019
Startup00:
Tried W3schools but im still not getting it at a fast pace though it’s much better than the video tutorials. Moreover, I thought I have to learn JavaScript before going into Php or any other programming language? Thanks for your response. I’m grateful
You mustn't learn javascript before you can learn other languages but it helps to know atleast the basics. If you're confortable with html/css, and javascript seems so hard to understand, try another language to know if you will get it better.

I would learn html and css then tried javascript but it sounded like I was trying to learn benghali without a tutor so I gave up and learnt python/django. By the time I came back to javascript, it was easier to grasp.
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by holuphisayor(m): 12:57pm On Feb 03, 2019
Find out what works for you. It's not necessary you stay glued to your PC watching videos.
If you enjoy books(hard copy) because you don't want to strain your eyes. Fine
Get a book on your desired interest area (javascript, css).
Spend more time practicing on your PC rather than watching video.
If it's javascript.... As a beginner... Download google chrome... Open your browser console and write your codes there.
If you want to learn how to build a clone of a website... Let's say Google's homepage.... Browse to the page... Inspect element and get familiar to the dom structure.

Keep doing that... You'll get better.
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by 3KINGZ18: 8:21pm On Feb 03, 2019
Startup00:
Read tech/code blogs regularly Dev.to,medium to gain more inspiration
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by Nobody: 8:53pm On Feb 03, 2019
1...U must b able to sit on a computer for long hours to grasp the tricks.
2... Learn and be perfect in a simple language like VB then dive to Lang's like Java
3 ..u can start from the top rather than bottom e.g just decide to create an app by googling every line of code required but must know basic like data types,variables,fxns,operators etc
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by Brizzy404: 8:58pm On Feb 03, 2019
Startup00:

Stay on it man... programming can be very addictive. There is nothing boring about it. It's just challenging.

Don't just read and read. That's where ur problem i think is coming from. Practice practice practice every single thing and think of ways to make it better or advanced

1 Like

Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by Startup00: 9:53pm On Feb 03, 2019
holuphisayor:
Find out what works for you. It's not necessary you stay glued to your PC watching videos.
If you enjoy books(hard copy) because you don't want to strain your eyes. Fine
Get a book on your desired interest area (javascript, css).
Spend more time practicing on your PC rather than watching video.
If it's javascript.... As a beginner... Download google chrome... Open your browser console and write your codes there.
If you want to learn how to build a clone of a website... Let's say Google's homepage.... Browse to the page... Inspect element and get familiar to the dom structure.

Keep doing that... You'll get better.
I prefer Videos to books. I will put into practice your suggestion thanks.
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by Startup00: 9:55pm On Feb 03, 2019
danjumakolo:
1...U must b able to sit on a computer for long hours to grasp the tricks.
2... Learn and be perfect in a simple language like VB then dive to Lang's like Java
3 ..u can start from the top rather than bottom e.g just decide to create an app by googling every line of code required but must know basic like data types,variables,fxns,operators etc
okay thanks.
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by Startup00: 9:59pm On Feb 03, 2019
Brizzy404:

Stay on it man... programming can be very addictive. There is nothing boring about it. It's just challenging.

Don't just read and read. That's where ur problem i think is coming from. Practice practice practice every single thing and think of ways to make it better or advanced
thanks for The advice I’m grateful.
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by Startup00: 10:01pm On Feb 03, 2019
Thanks guys for your contributions/advice. I will put into practice everything you guys have said. I pray in the next few months I will be here to give a positive update. I’m grateful ��
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by makavele: 10:13pm On Feb 03, 2019
I was once like this, in fact, everybody was once like this.

It starts from being boring, then it becomes interesting.

Then it becomes super difficult, and you keep wondering: How the heck am I supposed to understand this logic?

Then it becomes manageable to understand with a few reminders every other day or so.

Then you forget it and need to go back and do a refresher.

Then it becomes easy

and it becomes fun.

4 Likes

Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by trytillmake(m): 9:19am On Feb 04, 2019
Talkwisdom:

Bro you are not alone...i was like you few months ago until I met a white man who is learning HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT at 50years old.i then ,decided to sit up

I love this post,if u wanna do something put all yr mind and focus on it, i tell people u do not need proofs of what programming or the future of programming. If a 50yr old is devoting effort to learn why can't u.
Most times if u cannot learn on yr own go and pay to learn but when u mention pay here on nairaland people shy away.
Try and do it, there are many gurus here that can be of help so if u have issues, shout here u will be heard.

Thats all.
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by Simpath(m): 2:09pm On Feb 04, 2019
Hello.

The truth is programming is one fantastic, interesting course. But the learning curve is very rough. I was once like you though. Another truth is you may not know you are learning, until after a while when you do some reviews on what you are learning. For instance, you can't compare yourself with when you knew nothing at all, before starting all you've learnt so far.

The challenge is when you have to combine everything at once. It may be daunting and overwhelming. Start with the easiest, make it more interesting and let the ride become smoother. For instance, you may start with HTML, then blend it with CSS, before bringing in javascript.

Another thing, paint a picture of what it's like being a competent programmer. There is this joy I get when people who use my project meet me, and they seem to idolize me as if I'm one demi god.

Many also find programming interesting, until they have to debug! This sincerely is the biggest nightmare of programming!! But another truth is over time you get used to the art of debugging that you find it most enjoyable. As time goes by, certain errors will repeat themselves and you won't have to spend days, but almost instantly, to solve them. Most times, these days, as soon as I get error reports, even remotely, from my clients, I understand exactly where the bug emanates from.

My final thought. Don't cultivate this overnight transformation mentality from programming. It is never anywhere. The knowledge evolves. Don't be hard on yourself! Keep your eyes on the prize and the joys of being a programmer. Without you knowing it, like a fully grown tree, you will become an expert in programming. Just keep on keeping on. See you there bro...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by asalimpo(m): 3:09pm On Feb 04, 2019
Simpath:
Hello.

The truth is programming is one fantastic, interesting course. But the learning curve is very rough. I was once like you though. Another truth is you may not know you are learning, until after a while when you do some reviews on what you are learning. For instance, you can't compare yourself with when you knew nothing at all, before starting all you've learnt so far.

The challenge is when you have to combine everything at once. It may be daunting and overwhelming. Start with the easiest, make it more interesting and let the ride become smoother. For instance, you may start with HTML, then blend it with CSS, before bringing in javascript.

Another thing, paint a picture of what it's like being a competent programmer. There is this joy I get when people who use my project meet me, and they seem to idolize me as if I'm one demi god.

Many also find programming interesting, until they have to debug! This sincerely is the biggest nightmare of programming!! But another truth is over time you get used to the art of debugging that you find it most enjoyable. As time goes by, certain errors will repeat themselves and you won't have to spend days, but almost instantly, to solve them. Most times, these days, as soon as I get error reports, even remotely, from my clients, I understand exactly where the bug emanates from.

My final thought. Don't cultivate this overnight transformation mentality from programming. It is never anywhere. The knowledge evolves. Don't be hard on yourself! Keep your eyes on the prize and the joys of being a programmer. Without you knowing it, like a fully grown tree, you will become an expert in programming. Just keep on keeping on. See you there bro...
spoken from the depth of experience. True words.
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by Ejiod(m): 9:15pm On Feb 04, 2019
I HATE WEB STUFF but I'm a developer. I understand what you are passing through. We all passed through that phase. Dear the best way to learn is through project engagements.To me I won't advice anyone to learn JavaScript. My preferred choice would be PYTHON.
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by Nobody: 9:42pm On Feb 04, 2019
Talkwisdom:

Na where you see the white man abeg
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by Nobody: 9:46pm On Feb 04, 2019
Startup00:

Whatever you do, however your final decision. Please don't learn PHP. Taink you.
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by Talkwisdom(m): 10:42pm On Feb 04, 2019
truthsayer009:

Na where you see the white man abeg
I meant him through a web developer course I bought on udemy, he is my programming buddy.
We chat everyday...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by Talkwisdom(m): 10:42pm On Feb 04, 2019
truthsayer009:

Whatever you do, however your final decision. Please don't learn PHP. Taink you.
What's bad about PHP?
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by makavele: 10:49pm On Feb 04, 2019
Talkwisdom:

What's bad about PHP?

Dont mind him. He doesn't know what he is saying.
A typical follow the crowd eBook programmer.
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by Nobody: 10:57pm On Feb 04, 2019
Talkwisdom:

What's bad about PHP?

Nothing really.

PHP popularity is decreasing while the job market and popularity of Others such as Node.js, Go Programming Language. is growing. Overall, PHP developers are paid significantly less than other developers and the trend seems to keep widening.

Since you are still learning, stick with Javascript please. You don't want to be sweating, working your ass off & earning peanuts, do you?
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by greatface(m): 11:50pm On Feb 04, 2019
Ejiod:
I HATE WEB STUFF but I'm a developer. I understand what you are passing through. We all passed through that phase. Dear the best way to learn is through project engagements.To me I won't advice anyone to learn JavaScript. My preferred choice would be PYTHON.
Although python is fairly easier than javascript, my opinion though. I will never advice anyone not to learn javascript especially if you're a webdev. Unless you will only remain within backend and never do frontend dev. My python/django projects have come to connecting ends with different languages just trying to get things done rightly.

Learning javascript was never easy but the extra challenge shapes and keeps daring me to becoming a better programmer.
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by greatface(m): 12:02am On Feb 05, 2019
truthsayer009:

Nothing really.

PHP popularity is decreasing while the job market and popularity of Others such as Node.js, Go Programming Language. is growing. Overall, PHP developers are paid significantly less than other developers and the trend seems to keep widening.

Since you are still learning, stick with Javascript please. You don't want to be sweating, working your ass off & earning peanuts, do you?
The job market within nigeria still favours php programmers and the trend may still continue for some years to come.

But that doesn't take away the fact that they earn far lesser than say python devs for same job range. This could most likely be because majority of them do very little beyond installing wordpress and other scripts.
Re: Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. by Nobody: 12:35am On Feb 05, 2019
greatface:
Although python is fairly easier than javascript, my opinion though. I will never advice anyone not to learn javascript especially if you're a webdev. Unless you will only remain within backend and never do frontend dev. My python/django projects have come to connecting ends with different languages just trying to get things done rightly.

Learning javascript was never easy but the extra challenge shapes and keeps daring me to becoming a better programmer.

This guy has already leant HTML + CSS, so the next thing to compliment his learning should be JavaScript. Then JavaScript ES6 going forward.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sell Your Amazon And Itunes Card / Java On Ubuntu Linux / My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.