Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,673 members, 7,809,565 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:17 AM

The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria (1467 Views)

Dasuki: Buhari Never Ordered Dismantling Of Military Checkpoints / Military Checkpoints Return In Abia / Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 5:31pm On Aug 20, 2010
I've just figured out the more accurate way to measure the richness of Nigeria's states:

The higher the number of police check points, the richer the state. Simple.

The police collected tens of billions of Naira from the roads in Anambra state last year. There was thousands of police check points there, yet kidnapping continued. All attempts to remove roadblocks in the state has failed.

Follow the Nigerian police force to find the money. They will NOT mount road blocks unless they are getting money.

Since we lack the ability to conduct proper economic data gathering, we should count police checkpoints.

The Igbo say that "Onye bu igu ka ewu n'eso" (the person with fodder or feed, is the one that attract goats). cool

If your state has less police check points than another, there is no way it is richer.  cool
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:52pm On Aug 20, 2010
But do the police actually turn in the [b]all [/b]of the money collected?

I believe half of it is "chop money".
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 20, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

But do the police actually turn in the all [/b]of the money collected?

I believe half of it is "chop money".

Turn in money for what? You've to be joking. [b]ALL the cash collected is chop money.
The police are not empowered to collect cash from the populace for anything!
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 6:04pm On Aug 20, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

But do the police actually turn in the all [/b]of the money collected?

[b]I believe half of it is "chop money"

All of it is chop money. They supplement their income by mounting roadblocks.
No roadblock, no money there. Simple.
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by EzeUche22(m): 6:07pm On Aug 20, 2010
Then Abia must be rich going by your logic! shocked
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 6:09pm On Aug 20, 2010
EzeUche22:

Then Abia must be rich going by your logic! shocked

Those Aba boys get money. cool
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by EzeUche22(m): 6:11pm On Aug 20, 2010
Onlytruth:

Those Aba boys get money. cool

Try driving from Port Harcourt to Umuahia. angry

Checkpoints everywhere!
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:12pm On Aug 20, 2010
Onlytruth:

All of it is chop money. They supplement their income by mounting roadblocks.
No roadblock, no money there. Simple.

ziddy:

Turn in money for what? You've to be joking. ALL the cash collected is chop money. The police are not empowered to collect cash from the populace for anything!

Interesting. I did not know that.

And the chief of police continues to allow this? undecided
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 20, 2010
^^^^
A curious but genuine question: Have you ever lived in Nigeria??
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by phantom(m): 6:18pm On Aug 20, 2010
^now that is one good question
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by philip0906(m): 6:21pm On Aug 20, 2010
walahi,ileke-idi's posts and comments atimes,makes one wonder if she has ever lived in this country grin grin
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by safariman(m): 6:42pm On Aug 20, 2010
Oyo state is not far behind. I counted 23 on Lagos-Ibadan express, 10 between Ibadan-Ilorin and only 5 between Ilorin-Abuja. I forgot to count the number of checkpoints on Lagos-Benin express
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 6:48pm On Aug 20, 2010
safariman:

Oyo state is not far behind. I counted 23 on Lagos-Ibadan express, 10 between Ibadan-Ilorin and only 5 between Ilorin-Abuja. I forgot to count the number of checkpoints on Lagos-Benin express

grin grin grin lol.
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by safariman(m): 6:51pm On Aug 20, 2010
^^^
And virtually all the corps are male, some of the females are rewarded with higher ranks based on sexual favours
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 6:55pm On Aug 20, 2010
safariman:

^^^
And virtually all the corps are male, some of the females are rewarded with higher ranks based on sexual favours

Must be a very lucrative zone! shocked
You see my point?! There is no way a female would do that if there is no money there. No way! cool
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 6:58pm On Aug 20, 2010
I lost count of the number of police checkpoints between Nnewi and Enugu going through Awka. It was insane.
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by safariman(m): 7:01pm On Aug 20, 2010
And some are even within sight distance of each other. The less lucurative job is guarding the banks, we used to give them the same amount of money everyday for coming
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 7:08pm On Aug 20, 2010
safariman:

And some are even within sight distance of each other. The less lucurative job is guarding the banks, we used to give them the same amount of money everyday for coming

shocked shocked lol!

High risk, no return on investment. grin
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by EzeUche22(m): 7:22pm On Aug 20, 2010
OMO IBO:

^^^^

I am starting to wonder this as well. She doesn't act like she was raised in Naija.
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:35pm On Aug 20, 2010
OMO IBO:

^^^^
LOL! I'd like to think so.
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 20, 2010
Honestly, jokes aside.

Do you really read and mean some of your comments?
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 7:57pm On Aug 20, 2010
Ileke-IdI is more Nigerian and Yoruba than some of the folks commenting here.

She is just not closed minded. cool I understand why she asks some type of questions.
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by safariman(m): 8:19pm On Aug 20, 2010
Onlytruth

@CBN, we had mobile, no wahala there, at First Bank, we had the regular guys with high risk and no return
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 20, 2010
At OnlyTruth smiley Thanks
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 8:41pm On Aug 20, 2010
safariman:

Onlytruth

@CBN, we had mobile, no wahala there, at First Bank, we had the regular guys with high risk and no return

grin grin grin.lol! Well, life is a b1tch. Frankly all those road blocks should be removed. But they have proven more lucrative than the oil taps. So they stay. cry
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Horus(m): 8:54pm On Aug 20, 2010
Human Rights Watch's research revealed that people refusing to pay bribes are routinely subjected to arbitrary arrest, unlawful detention, and threats until they or their family members negotiate payment for their release. Extortion-related confrontations between the police and motorists often escalate into more serious abuses. The evidence suggests that police officers have on numerous occasions severely beaten, sexually assaulted, or shot to death ordinary citizens who failed to pay the bribes demanded.
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 9:30pm On Aug 20, 2010
Horus:

Human Rights Watch's research revealed that people refusing to pay bribes are routinely subjected to arbitrary arrest, unlawful detention, and threats until they or their family members negotiate payment for their release. Extortion-related confrontations between the police and motorists often escalate into more serious abuses. The evidence suggests that police officers have on numerous occasions severely beaten, sexually assaulted, or shot to death ordinary citizens w[b]ho failed to pay the bribes[/b] demanded.

Exactly!

There is little repose for the hapless motorists as far as police bride-taking at checkpoints is concerned.

More police checkpoints = more money flowing around.

Did you see police checkpoints in Yobe state?
Just asking.
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by EzeUche22(m): 9:34pm On Aug 20, 2010
They might as well put tolls, because it seems like a toll to me a couple hundred naira here and there. I have no problem driving from Umuahia to Owerri, but going from Umuahia to Aba and Aba to Port Harcourt is HORRIBLE!
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 9:57pm On Aug 20, 2010
EzeUche22:

They might as well put tolls, because it seems like a toll to me a couple hundred naira here and there. I have no problem driving from Umuahia to Owerri, but going from Umuahia to Aba and Aba to Port Harcourt is HORRIBLE!

Money route! grin grin
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:03pm On Aug 20, 2010
Onlytruth:

I lost count of the number of police checkpoints between Nnewi and Enugu going through Awka. It was insane.
Do you manage to pass through BENIN-LAGOS and see the number of police toll-gates on that route.i'm sure they outnumbered these ones you listed
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 10:14pm On Aug 20, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Do you manage to pass through BENIN-LAGOS and see the number of police toll-gates on that route.i'm sure they outnumbered these ones you listed

I never said they are not there (Lagos/Benin). However, you need to travel between Nnewi and Enugu through Awka to understand what I'm saying. If anything, they may be more in this route (Nnewi -Awka-Enugu),unless they have reduced it. I traveled both,and was wondering aloud why there was more police check points along this route than the Lagos- Benin road. It only began to make sense after I read the news about police making billions from south east roads last year.
Re: The Higher The Number Of Police Checkpoints, The Richer The State In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:47pm On Aug 20, 2010
Onlytruth:

I never said they are not there (Lagos/Benin). However, you need to travel between Nnewi and Enugu through Awka to understand what I'm saying. If anything, they may be more in this route (Nnewi -Awka-Enugu),unless they have reduced it. I traveled both,and was wondering aloud why there was more police check points along this route than the Lagos- Benin road. It only began to make sense after I read the news about police making billions from south east roads last year.

And you forgot that all those that ply Nnewi-Awka-Enugu do pass through benin-lagos road besides the bad road,commercial transporters and activities of car smugglers make benin road more lucrative.

(1) (2) (Reply)

‘Awolowo Days Back In Southwest’ / Rencap: "we See Nigeria As The Next Brazil Or Russia" / How Efcc Chair Mrs Waziri, 12 Others Got Aig

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.