Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints (3449 Views)

Committees: Reps Reject Dogara’s Appointments - Punch / Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation / Reps Reject Motion To Ban Alcohol Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by mukina2: 9:32am On Mar 14, 2012
A few weeks after the Acting Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar, ordered the dismantling of police checkpoints across the country, a member of the House of Representatives sponsored a controversial motion on Tuesday seeking to reverse it.

Mr. Friday Itulah, a Peoples Democratic Party lawmaker from Edo State, however, failed in his bid, as the House rejected the motion.

Itula had argued that the IG’s action had led to increased armed robberies on the highways.

He said armed robbers had taken advantage of the situation and were more daring than before on the highways.

Itula called for an interactive session between the House Committee on Police Affairs and the police to discuss the matter.

But, lawmakers rejected the motion in a majority voice vote.

Kicking against the motion, Mrs. Ayo Omidiran and Mr. Udoh Ibeji recalled that armed robbers always unleashed terror on commuters when the checkpoints were in place, while the police could not respond appropriately.

Omidrian said, “How many armed robbers and terrorists were the police operatives able to arrest at the various checkpoints across the country when roadblocks were in place?”

She received a thunderous “none” and commendation in response to the question.

They advised the IG to continue with his security plans, but urged him to quickly replace the checkpoints with regular patrols on the highways.

http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/03/14/reps-reject-motion-to-return-police-checkpoints/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=reps-reject-motion-to-return-police-checkpoints
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by femmy2010(m): 9:39am On Mar 14, 2012
Having regular police patrol on the highway is very much the way to go.

1 Like

Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by Okijajuju1(m): 9:47am On Mar 14, 2012
Patrols/radios and a call center to report incidents. . .

1 Like

Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by Excelboi(m): 9:49am On Mar 14, 2012
Imagine this man who calls himself honourable. When police where there, what can they do to curb the situation? He should better know that police are even the gateway for armed robbers. Whther they are there or not, it cant stop robbery. We dont want them back.
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by Mcleo007(m): 9:51am On Mar 14, 2012
Which police checkpoints is this man talking about? The ones with policemen that run for cover, even throwing off their uniforms at whatever instance they hear armed robbers are operating close by! This people better get someting better to discuss in those their time-wasting sessions. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by legendsilver(m): 10:00am On Mar 14, 2012
the man na pdp, all of them are thieves
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by Arouser(m): 10:00am On Mar 14, 2012
Mr. Friday Itulah must be getting returns from the checkpoints. Idiota.
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by andyanders: 10:19am On Mar 14, 2012
The man must be receiving proceeds of road blocks. In fact, check points in the Nigeria contest is an avenue for armed police robbers to steal from the public.
Armed policemen turn armed robbers in full day light extorting money from motorist issuing them numbers. If a commercial vehicle gets to a check point, a shameless Nigerian Police officer will demand for his Road Block Number issued to the cab to know if he has paid for the day's business. If you fail to say the number, you will be short if you try to drive away. Then I ask, who is an armed robber? Answer, Every Nigeria Policemen on Stop and Search.
In developed Countries, police officers are descent and their operational method is worth praising. They don't mount road blocks as they stay in their cars and be waiting for any radio message or instruction to move to certain area or they will be patrolling. They can stay on blind spots but not stopping every car passing.

Even life chicken,goat or rat, police will demand for receipt if he wants to collect money from you. When they hear of armed robbers, they will run away from their check points and hide. Some of them even mount road blocks to protect armed robbers when they are operating.
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by eghost247(m): 10:20am On Mar 14, 2012
Big No
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by Arosa(m): 10:23am On Mar 14, 2012
femmy2010(m):
Having regular police patrol on the highway is very much the way to go.
I was about to say the same. That is a more effective policing method, they going to need more cars.
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by cynthiafred67(f): 10:23am On Mar 14, 2012
Arouser: Mr. Friday Itulah must be getting returns from the checkpoints. Idiota.
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by zxtos: 10:36am On Mar 14, 2012
Mr. Friday Itulah must be getting returns from the checkpoints. Idiota.

GBAM!!!! cheesy cool cheesy
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by xtremeidea(m): 10:54am On Mar 14, 2012
Nice one Reps!!!
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by mikuz(m): 10:55am On Mar 14, 2012
andyanders: The man must be receiving proceeds of road blocks. In fact, check points in the Nigeria contest is an avenue for armed police robbers to steal from the public.
Armed policemen turn armed robbers in full day light extorting money from motorist issuing them numbers. If a commercial vehicle gets to a check point, a shameless Nigerian Police officer will demand for his Road Block Number issued to the cab to know if he has paid for the day's business. If you fail to say the number, you will be short if you try to drive away. Then I ask, who is an armed robber? Answer, Every Nigeria Policemen on Stop and Search.
In developed Countries, police officers are descent and their operational method is worth praising. They don't mount road blocks as they stay in their cars and be waiting for any radio message or instruction to move to certain area or they will be patrolling. They can stay on blind spots but not stopping every car passing.

Even life chicken,goat or rat, police will demand for receipt if he wants to collect money from you. When they hear of armed robbers, they will run away from their check points and hide. Some of them even mount road blocks to protect armed robbers when they are operating.
lwkmdgrin
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by xtremeidea(m): 10:56am On Mar 14, 2012
femmy2010: Having regular police patrol on the highway is very much the way to go.

I can see the Police are really lobbying!!!
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by IRAPADA(m): 10:57am On Mar 14, 2012
Arouser: Mr. Friday Itulah must be getting returns from the checkpoints. Idiota.
gbam!!!
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by royallord1(m): 12:11pm On Mar 14, 2012
I dont belive scrapping of d check point is a good idea at this point in time. O yes! I say so because now i can drive 4rm lagos to benin gun in hand, ammunition on my seat and a kidnapped fellow in my booth, cos dere is no police men to stop me 4 a search. In as much dat there is great misuse of d check point, we cannot rule out its benefit in checking crime, my friends father was saved 4rm hìs kidnapper on their way out 4rm benin by a check point unit. If it must be scrapped, adequate policing equipment like cars, motorcycle, highway police station, trained men in the act of long distance shooting (snipers), 24/7 communication btw teams on patrol, a police call center and citizens, cctv should be put in place. Until dis are achieved, we have only created a country dat wil b defenseless to a surge of crime. This is my own opinion as a concerned citizen.
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by oiseworld: 12:19pm On Mar 14, 2012
as long as its no medium for arms dealers to smuggle arms and ammunition then its ok by me. coolas long as its no medium for arms dealers to smuggle arms and ammunition then its ok by me.
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by oiseworld: 12:22pm On Mar 14, 2012
royal lord: I dont belive scrapping of d check point is a good idea at this point in time. O yes! I say so because now i can drive 4rm lagos to benin gun in hand, ammunition on my seat and a kidnapped fellow in my booth, cos dere is no police men to stop me 4 a search. In as much dat there is great misuse of d check point, we cannot rule out its benefit in checking crime, my friends father was saved 4rm hìs kidnapper on their way out 4rm benin by a check point unit. If it must be scrapped, adequate policing equipment like cars, motorcycle, highway police station, trained men in the act of long distance shooting (snipers), 24/7 communication btw teams on patrol, a police call center and citizens, cctv should be put in place. Until dis are achieved, we have only created a country dat wil b defenseless to a surge of crime. This is my own opinion as a concerned citizen.

tank you, i didn't want to talk much, u've said it all.
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by Nobody: 12:25pm On Mar 14, 2012
Arosa:
I was about to say the same. That is a more effective policing method, they going to need more cars.
This is true but how commited and sincere will they be in doing this. I think using enough scrutiny to recruit decent and honest even devot police officers and firing the unscropulous members serves nigeria better.
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by Btruth: 12:26pm On Mar 14, 2012
Arosa:

Supported. In the western countries, policing is make easier by simply patrolling. Places like the UK, we even have the street bobbies doing their jobs. They have some called the community police as well. Let our government learn from the western countries.
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by gaddafe(m): 1:21pm On Mar 14, 2012
royal lord: I dont belive scrapping of d check point is a good idea at this point in time. O yes! I say so because now i can drive 4rm lagos to benin gun in hand, ammunition on my seat and a kidnapped fellow in my booth, cos dere is no police men to stop me 4 a search. In as much dat there is great misuse of d check point, we cannot rule out its benefit in checking crime, my friends father was saved 4rm hìs kidnapper on their way out 4rm benin by a check point unit. If it must be scrapped, adequate policing equipment like cars, motorcycle, highway police station, trained men in the act of long distance shooting (snipers), 24/7 communication btw teams on patrol, a police call center and citizens, cctv should be put in place. Until dis are achieved, we have only created a country dat wil b defenseless to a surge of crime. This is my own opinion as a concerned citizen.
You have said it all.
Pls go to any police station in edo state and ask around. U will be shocked at the number of criminal activities that have risen recently especially car snatching. I'm not a fan of pdp but i think friday itular was speaking based on reality.
I think the police force should have tested the act of patroling before scrapping road block.

1 Like

Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by kinguwem: 2:02pm On Mar 14, 2012
Hon. Friday Itulah has relatives in the Police. He wants to resuscitate them. In which cities of the world he has travelled to did he see Police roadblocks like in Nigeria. The sight of policemen collecting N20 bribes at roadblocks was an eyesore. I suspect that a lot of robbery operations were planned and cordinated at checkpoints. Lets support the new IGP and say no to roadblocks. There should be effective highway patrols and creation of emergency response centres and squads.
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by gaddafe(m): 2:42pm On Mar 14, 2012
kinguwem: Hon. Friday Itulah has relatives in the Police. He wants to resuscitate them. In which cities of the world he has travelled to did he see Police roadblocks like in Nigeria. The sight of policemen collecting N20 bribes at roadblocks was an eyesore. I suspect that a lot of robbery operations were planned and cordinated at checkpoints. Lets support the new IGP and say no to roadblocks. There should be effective highway patrols and creation of emergency response centres and squads.

Robbery attacks are not coordinated at checkpoints, you know that.
There are no highway patrols and even if there is, vehicles used are not yet sufficient, hence their presence is not being felt. I'm not against the IG's plan but the timing is wrong. He should have perfected in the patroling stuff before banding the road block.
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by dadicvila(m): 3:46pm On Mar 14, 2012
they better investigate the mofos
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by Nobody: 4:48pm On Mar 14, 2012
@royal_lord, I don't totally agree with you. If all the policemen who spend all their time collecting 20 naira, spend that time patrolling or investigating crimes, then crime rate will be lowered. Am sure less than 30 percent of crimes in Nigeria occur on the highways. So, if all the policemen are taken by to the police station, and better equipped, they can have better capability to respond to any situation faster. And they can spend more time investigating crimes and fishing out criminals. By the way, the police on the roads collect bribe. So if i have a kidnapped person or guns in my car, all i need to do is drop 1000 naira to them, and they'll salute me.
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by desperatem(m): 7:42pm On Mar 14, 2012
Policemen are not useful on d road. They even inconvenient commercial bus drivers and bike riders. They give them numbers according to the time they pay, they push any bike riders if he tries to escape, they careless of there life. Ever since they have been called off everywhere as been peaceful. No more threats on d road, thanks to the new IG
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by royallord1(m): 9:57pm On Mar 14, 2012
nwanna89: @royal_lord, I don't totally agree with you. If all the policemen who spend all their time collecting 20 naira, spend that time patrolling or investigating crimes, then crime rate will be lowered. Am sure less than 30 percent of crimes in Nigeria occur on the highways. So, if all the policemen are taken by to the police station, and better equipped, they can have better capability to respond to any situation faster. And they can spend more time investigating crimes and fishing out criminals. By the way, the police on the roads collect bribe. So if i have a kidnapped person or guns in my car, all i need to do is drop 1000 naira to them, and they'll salute me.
let face fact Mr! A police man would nt request 4 bribe if ur papers are complete, niether would he allow u go with gun in hand and a kidnapped fellow in the booth, its nt possible(note dat dis is a profession dat d more cases u bring in and solve the more u grow and u are recommened. This fact not speculation). Bribe comes in when u fall short of d standard operation requirement. Most danfo driver and okada driver dont even have paper 4 dere vehicle and hence must bribe. In terms on patrol, we do not have d logistics nor equipment to embark on a ful scale patrol scheme. So even if only 30% crimes are done on d highway, 90% of all crime done in town and cities use d high way as an escape route. That is why i said communication btw d police and d citizenry should established, cars and motocycle should b provided, retraining of police men with higher standard should b put in place. when in place d check point can be scrapped, until then we are in 4 trouble.
Re: Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints by fsb(m): 12:45am On Mar 15, 2012
The IGP has done quite well as regards his decision...but I think aside stationing men of Fed Highway Patrol on interstate routes, the police should also liase wit the Nigerian Army probably wit providing major military check points on interstate routes. Aside curbing robbery, kidnapping and Boko Haram pple, the presence of soldiers will provide travellers wit a better sense of security.

Another issue the IGP should look into in my opinion is the entry requirements into the NPF. I mean its completely unwise to entrust loaded rifles to secondary school holders. Lets b sincere, secondary school education isnt what it used to be in the past in terms of quality. If the police service is to improve, then the entry requirements should be stepped up from secondary school to a tertiary level education.

The military has gone professional and they are better for it. If your IQ isnt high enough to put you through ond, hnd or bsc, then how can u competently handle a crime investigation?

(1) (Reply)

Bokoharam Release Video Of Life In Thier Caliphate. / PDP Members Go On Rampage At Samsung Showroom In UYO, Akwa Ibom State. / Alert Attempt To Assassinate Buhari Exposed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.