Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,207 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

Short Story: After Mother's Death - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Short Story: After Mother's Death (529 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Mourns Her Mother's Death (Pictures) / Short Story - After Christmas / The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Short Story: After Mother's Death by Charlesdonald(m): 6:42pm On Feb 06, 2019
Kemi knew Femi, her late mother has come: Strong perfume she usually wore filled the room with its fragrance. Her firm footsteps resounded in echoes.

"Welcome mom." She said to the air, letting her bag fell on the bed. "I just returned from classes."

Her mother raised her eyebrows like. "I know."

"Yeah. It's true." Kemi smiled. "You always know everything."

She pulled off her school clothes, sat on her bed. Her mother standing.

"But mom. People think I am not sane, because I talk with you." Kemi said, then added. "They said I should tell you to let me move on. That there is no connection between us any longer. You're dead. I am living."

Her mother's face darkened. She looked away. "Are you going to send me away?" Her voice clouded in tears. It was as if she stifled them. "You know we are always connected. I love you most. That's why I spend time with you."

"I know. I enjoy your company mom." Kemi stood and held her mother's hands.

Then Adesun, kemi's sister walked into the room. She had heard Kemi talking. She pulled her door and saw her holding the air in slight embrace. Staring straight and saying some words.

"Kemi" She called out.

Without looking at her direction, Kemi said. "Adesun. Mom is here again."

"You should tell her to leave you."

Adesun couldn't see their mom but she smelled her strong perfume. And Kemi had goose pimples she always have whenever their mom visited her. She could feel her presence.

Kemi turned to Adesun. "Sister. She is crying."

"Kemi. She is dead." Almost whimpering. "She should let you live."

Kemi turned to her mother. Her face dropping. "Mom. I think you should leave." She said slowly.

"You listened to her my baby girl?"

"There is no connection between us any longer. You should go."

Just then a heavy wind penetrated the room. Kemi felt startled, so Adesun. She looked at her mother's face, it turned hot red. Her eyes sparkled. Kemi recoiled. Adesun rushed to close the windows.

Then her mother pulled photos hanging on kemi's walls, crashed them on the ground. Shards scattered on the tied room. She pulled kemi's reading table and flew it to the wall. "How dare you ask me to leave." She pushed closer to Kemi. "I own you. You belong to me. I will leave with you when I wish to leave." Her voice resounding.

Kemi felt frightened. Her mother would never be this aggressive. She walked few steps back. "You are not my mother." Her eyes closed tight.

"My daughter. I am." Her mother replied calmly, trying to come close. Her hands stretched.

Kemi moved back more. "No. You are not. Just leave me." She screamed. "Leave me!"

In few seconds, the room became silent. The wind ceased. Kemi opened her eyes but couldn't find her mother. Sweats dripping off her body. Her hands trembling. Adesun held her on the ground.

"She is gone?" She asked.
“Yes. She is gone.” Adesun replied.

http://charlesdonaldfreeman.com.ng/after-mothers-death
Re: Short Story: After Mother's Death by Charlesdonald(m): 10:40pm On Feb 08, 2019
Lalasticlala
uboma
davide470

(1) (Reply)

How To Download FREE NDA Past Questions 2019 / What Is At Stake At War Of Words Season 8 (spoken Word Poetry Competition)??? / Wrongly Used Idiom (most Times)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.