Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,381 members, 7,829,991 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian (2069 Views)

Gumsu Abacha Exposes Husband-Snatcher Trying To Snatch' Her Billionaire Husband / Boko Haram Kingpin Arrested With His Family While Trying To Escape (Pics) / I Wasn’t Trying To Seduce The President –seyi Shay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by Ikengawo: 3:34am On Aug 21, 2010
ARE THE WORST.

its a new pandemic spreading across africa!

there's the stupid ignorant sudanese girl (they're all ignorant mind you) that keeps trying to 'speak broken' to EVERYONE and it's soooo embarrassing!

She's at the local nigerian store braiding a womans hair that seniors her mother telling her 'my friend get out!' and 'abeg shut up jor' LLLMFFAAOOOooO!! to an old woman!

there's a bunch of them here where i live trying to pretend to be nigerian or speak broken, it's a hot mess. im a nigerian american born in america that lived in nigeria for 5 years and i dont even dare speak broken cause i dont know how (i lived in the village).

is this happening where you are at too or is it just here where im at?
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by EzeUche22(m): 3:41am On Aug 21, 2010
Some Nigerians born and raised in Naija do not know how to speak broken. Or they were told by their parents not speak it around the house. I speak it, but my father used to tell us not speak it.

Igbo was spoken in our home, but English was preferred by my father who didn't want our language to "spoil our tongue."
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by Ikengawo: 3:52am On Aug 21, 2010
igbo people have issues when it comes to languages i swear

we here in the US have parents that speak english to us from birth even though its their second language then they get mad when you're 22 and can't speak igbo.
both of my parents can't and don't speak broken but its cause they grew up in the village

that's another issue for another thread though.

this is about malawians trying to act nigerian, smh.
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by Nobody: 5:30am On Aug 21, 2010
@topic so what? they speak broken but it seems like you are mad at Sudanese women!!

Phuck that my grandma taught me Yoruba which I can understand and speak a little. I speak three languages. Yoruba, English and Mohawk!
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by Nobody: 5:31am On Aug 21, 2010
. . . . and what is wrong with that?

How about Nigerians trying to speak Ghetto English? now thatz annoying.
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by Nobody: 5:49am On Aug 21, 2010
Broken is cool anytime, anyday!!! If other Africans like our version, let them speak it.
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by Jakumo(m): 5:53am On Aug 21, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

. . . . and what is wrong with that?

How about Nigerians trying to speak Ghetto English? now thatz annoying.

You mean like when they use phrases such as  " I gorro gorro New York Meeehhn." or  " What tha fork sheet meeehn."
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by Nobody: 5:55am On Aug 21, 2010
Jakumo:

You mean like when they use phrases such as  " I gorro gorro New York Meeehhn." or  " What tha fork sheet meeehn." 
LOL! Yes oh
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by Kobojunkie: 6:23am On Aug 21, 2010
Jakumo:

You mean like when they use phrases such as " I gorro gorro New York Meeehhn." or " What tha fork sheet meeehn."
I don't know if anyone else finds that nonsense talk as irritating as I do.
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by Nobody: 6:29am On Aug 21, 2010
Y'all ain't heard nothing. Wait till my grandma tries to speak Ebonics!!!

My favourite part of going to Nigeria so far!!
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by KnowAll(m): 6:36am On Aug 21, 2010
[size=14pt]The only reason Nigeria pidgin English is common today,  is because of the Nigerian music industry renaissance has taken over the whole of Africa. It is now cool to imitate D banj , Tu Face and Co. There is a Cultural colonisation taking place. which in a way is good.[/size]
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by KnowAll(m): 6:42am On Aug 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybg4XzbM3kc&feature=pyv&ad=5320003977&kw=nigeria

Check this Oyinbo girl speak a few twang in Naija English
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by saintneo(m): 6:47am On Aug 21, 2010
That was how the USA gained prominence amongst European Nations. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin my 50p
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by KnowAll(m): 6:50am On Aug 21, 2010
Check this Lebanese OR Syrian Niaja boy yearning in Pidgin English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONS8yDx4C3I
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by madlady(f): 6:56am On Aug 21, 2010
I love Nigerian Pidgin, it reminds me of Jamaican Patois.
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by KnowAll(m): 7:02am On Aug 21, 2010
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by adedayoone: 11:44am On Aug 21, 2010
hmmn i cant help but laugh , i remember an asian guy at the phone store trying to speak pidgin english to me , that was d first time but after that alot of them in london try to speak yoruba to me and stuff , even my asian friend speaks pidgin and its catching on in my class at uni . I guess because it sounds like english and they cant understand it , they find it fascinating and want to learn .

I hope u know other african countries have thier versions of pidgin english , so they might just be speaking their own kind.
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by tpiah: 4:10pm On Aug 21, 2010
Wait till my grandma tries to speak Ebonics!!!

shocked shocked grin

hear my grandma say amorigo instead of america while to her, europe is ilu oyibo.

i just wonder- isnt amorigo also ilu oyibo.
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by Nobody: 8:59pm On Aug 21, 2010
just like Nigerians tryna speak like yardies undecided

Should that be a problem though
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by Nobody: 9:13pm On Aug 21, 2010
tpiah:

shocked shocked grin

hear my grandma say amorigo instead of america while to her, europe is ilu oyibo.

Hahahaha that beats mine!! hahahahahahahahaha that's so cute!!
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by chiogo(f): 10:51pm On Aug 21, 2010
@Poster, speaking broken English is only a Nigerian thing? People from the Caribbean speak broken English too so are they trying to act Nigerian?

I dunno about Sudan but Liberians speak a vernacular Liberian English called Liberian kreyol besides standard English. It's not exactly Naija pidgin but there are some similar words. You'd sooner understand it than Jamaican patois.

1 Like

Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by bkbabe97y(m): 10:54pm On Aug 21, 2010
tpiah:

shocked shocked grin

Or my daughter's Grand-Mother that used to say "Put the food in the Microphone". . . . she meant "Microwave"! grin
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by tpiah: 2:11am On Aug 22, 2010
^^if she said microphone and not magrophone or magorophone like my own grandmas would have pronounced it, then she's posh.
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by Becomrich0: 2:24am On Aug 22, 2010
this USA man is still the best. born in nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggWMWgRkK_4&feature=related
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by tpiah: 2:58am On Aug 22, 2010
^^what's his nl user id.
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by bkbabe97y(m): 3:23am On Aug 22, 2010
tpiah:

^^if she said microphone and not magrophone or magorophone like my own grandmas would have pronounced it, then she's posh.

HAHAHAHAHHAA.lol. ROFLMAO!!!LOL
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by Ikengawo: 6:06am On Aug 22, 2010
i guess you guys are open minded.
i just think it's stupid.

i REALLY hate when nigerians try to speak ebonics cause they sound like the lamest queers alive and its the most hideous accent (when trying to fake oyibo) of all time.

idk whats worst, nigerians trying to speak ebonics or trying to sound like white americans but it's pathetic and a sign of mental insanity.

LOL i "I gorro gorro boston"
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by Nobody: 3:03am On Jan 07, 2011
[flash=300,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MYcuFC5P-I?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

NOTHING IS MORE COMPLICATED THAN THAT ^^
(JAMAICAN PATOIS) LMFAO! yet ppl try anyway LOL

i wish u guys could understand it, this had me CRYING with laughter!

and some of you are ignorant to the fact that Nigerians
live in other west african countries and that pidgin itself
is not 100 percent nigerian either.
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by Jenifa1: 3:07am On Jan 07, 2011
hahahah blame it on Nollywood. the movie industry that has taken over Africa.

I notice it too but I think it's cool.
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by jaygetta1: 3:12am On Jan 07, 2011
mzDARKSIN: MY new year's present for u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwimc4cvUmQ
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by ekubear1: 3:19am On Jan 07, 2011
Ikengawo:

ik whats worst, nigerians trying to speak ebonics or trying to sound like white americans but it's pathetic and a sign of mental insanity.

What cracks me up is those nigerians with fake british accents. Like the dudes on Channels and the other Nigerian news networks. They sound constipated grin

I understand why they do it though.
Re: None Nigerians Trying To Act Nigerian by isalegan2: 4:14am On Jan 07, 2011
I think it's cute if other Africans are trying to act Nigerian. 

About trying to fake the funk, I met a fellow Nigerian woman in a supermarket I go to all the time.  Whenever this lady sees me she's always so friendly and chatty, as am I.  But she always greets me very loudly in broken, no matter how many people are around.  Okay, so growing up in Lagos, we spoke Yoruba in my home, and English only when we needed to.  Being in America, for me, it's been almost exclusively English since, well, I'm talking to Americans all day. 

But I decided it was becoming too obvious that this woman is speaking our own unique language that I as a Nigerian should share in with her to bring us closer together.  The next time she does it, instead of speaking real English, I'm going to speak broken back to her.  I haven't spoken broken in eons!

So, one day I walk into the store and in front a huge amount of Americans and her co-workers, she sees me in line and greets me loudly: "MY SISTER!!!  HOW YOU DEY NOW?!!!" 

Sister Isale_Gangan: "I . . . .good?"  

I knew that was wrong, and I'm sure the entire store knew it too.  I died a thousand deaths in the 2 minutes it took for her to ring me up and me to say so long.  embarassed

(1) (2) (Reply)

In Taraba, Police, Nscdc At Each Other’s Jugular / The Origin Of The Present Boko Haram - From The Horse's Mouth / Buhari Condemns Boko Haram And Bombings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.