Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,892 members, 7,828,157 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

How To Stay Awake When Driving - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Stay Awake When Driving (15943 Views)

Best Sitting Position To Stay Alert When Driving / 5 Mistakes You Should Carefully Avoid When Driving / Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by amaniro: 9:41am On Feb 08, 2019
calddon:
Aside from what the op stated, THE condition of the road plays a factor. On most of the eastern roads i have been to, you cant fall asleep. Portholes are always there to keep you occupied.

Lack of federal Government attention. If you ply, Lokoja- ajaokuta way you will never fall asleep. Ikot ekpene road, Enugu - port Harcourt express very bad roads. I call on FG to look into it.
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by Floryangel8: 9:45am On Feb 08, 2019
Best bet is to park and nap or stroll and continue after. I know someone who died from accident dozzing off on wheels if she parked and nap she would have been alive .
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by Martartins(m): 9:50am On Feb 08, 2019
Nice. Most highway accident happen because of sleep.
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by DBlackCeazer(m): 9:53am On Feb 08, 2019
Woke a sleep driving woman in traffic this morning along lekki epe,there was a mack truck behind her, wondering what could ve happened as she still was still throttling
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by Parada: 9:58am On Feb 08, 2019
The will call you a bigot but how they believed the lying mice voiced Obi “Chinese & Indian tactician“ is more intelligent than Osinbajo is a shocker.

A diehard crook that confessed he’s an epitome of corruption hoping to enrich his friends with the wealth of the nation not minding losing his pathetic life in the process. Buhari a former president aa no concession over any port in Nigeria, no oil well or rig, no NITEL all the things Atiku acquired being a mere VP.

ct2:
Igbos had always called us yoruba  betrayals, don't worry we would help your atiku and obi win on social media, on election day we would vote for Buhari to betray you again as a leopard can't change its skin.

How can you expect us to leave our own osibanjo and vote your own obi  ?

Life is about interest.

Buhari / Osibanjo gave us lagos ibadan  rail ,which will pass through  other south west state.

Most south westerners are only deceiving you that they would  vote atiku .

If you doubt me ,February 16 is here.

Now Imagine the thief as president and he will surely sell the NNPC to his friends, after all they are entitled to be rich of the wealth of Nigeria
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by FLYFIRE(m): 9:59am On Feb 08, 2019
Jchi9876:
Buhari is a goal
You did not proof-read your post before posting. You mean to write 'BUHARI MUST GO' but see what android did..
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by bigfish3k: 10:00am On Feb 08, 2019
ct2:
Igbos had always called us yoruba  betrayals, don't worry we would help your atiku and obi win on social media, on election day we would vote for Buhari to betray you again as a leopard can't change its skin.

Life is about interest.

Buhari / Osibanjo gave us lagos ibadan  rail ,which will pass through  other south west state.

just shouting osinbajo as if he will have a say after election.
somebody that the cabals does not allow to use helicopter
in the presidential fleet

prior to elections , does asiwaju have a say in this govt?
just be deceiving urselves

forget tribalism, we are talking about the killings in the north and other places, fulani herdsmen, leah sharibu, cattle colony, increase in fuel price, increase in cost of living, dementia, senility, propaganda, lies, under equipped military , hunger in the land etc
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by martowskin1(m): 10:03am On Feb 08, 2019
ct2:

Life is about interest.

How does this concern this thread, must u zombie every where...

But let me give u some food for thought...

The SE supported OBJ despite ojukwu contesting, u guys that claim u love ur own so much didn't support OBJ

And if u really want to know, if Osinbajo is going for President, the SE will support him, the reason they are against APC is not because of Osinbajo but basically buhari

Now looking at the South of Nigeria, the SW are always alone..... Like u said, the leopard can't change his colour

It will take the SE, SS, SW along time to see the presidential seat, since they don't want to get a common support for each other
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by ghettochild4u(m): 10:10am On Feb 08, 2019
Haaa open window keh??
Direct entry to sleepland

1 Like

Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by GenFunction: 10:11am On Feb 08, 2019
slam 2baba's album whilst driving,to keep u awake
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by stanley000: 10:34am On Feb 08, 2019
Ji ji ji ma sun
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by femi4: 11:03am On Feb 08, 2019
Play noisy song or loud the radio....it works for me
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by kuffy05(m): 11:07am On Feb 08, 2019
I can't sleep while driving even if I take sleeping pills

It only took one ugly experience that almost claim life's including mine while I was sleeping and driving, the night after that incidence I couldn't sleep all through, I was pondering on how I would've wake up in the after life....

If not for the experience there are times I would have slept while driving cause of tiredness
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by akmaldini(m): 11:55am On Feb 08, 2019
That's why I like manual cars,it will make you active...

1 Like

Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by Nobody: 12:04pm On Feb 08, 2019
AutoJoshNIG:

Get enough sleep before a trip

Get sufficient sleep before going on a road trip. A short nap of about 20 minutes can help you recharge before driving. If you are going to drive for a long distance get enough sleep before the journey, this will provide you enough rest to keep you alert for the journey.

Drink caffeine

Take a caffeinated drink before or during a trip. Caffeine helps to improve alertness. For instance, a cup of coffee contains about 75 milligrams of caffeine. This is enough to keep you awake and alert while driving. However, note that the effects of caffeine wears off after several hours.

Do not drink alcohol before driving.

Do not drink alcohol. Even very small amounts of alcohol will enhance drowsiness. Sleep, especially while driving, is hardest to fight when one is feeling drowsy from alcohol intake.

Watch what you eat

If you have to eat before or during a trip, eat something light. Heavy meals can cause drowsiness or cause you to become tired. Take snacks or very light food whenever you stop in-between trip. Or go for energizing foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins.

Drive with a companion

When going on a long trip, it is wise to go with a partner. After a while, especially when feeling sleepy, pull over and let your partner take over the driving. This will allow you take a nap in order to refresh.

Avoid driving between midnight and 6 AM

Avoid situations that will require you to drive between midnight and 6 a.m. Due to the body’s biological rhythm, that period is when the body is naturally programmed to sleep, and controlling sleep at that period is hardest. . It is dangerous to drive during these hours as there is an increased risk of falling asleep at the wheel.

Chew gum

Chewing gum helps keep your mouth busy, and at the same time helps you stay awake and focus. Before driving, especially for a long trip, pick up a few packs of chewing gum. Whenever, you start to feel sleepy, chew some gum. However, ensure you go for sugar-free gum. Chewing gum with sugar content can have reverse effect. They can leave you feeling more tired than how you felt before, and ultimately induce sleep.

Stop to take a nap

When you notice that you are getting tired or sleepy, pull over in order to take a nap.

A short nap of about twenty minutes can refresh your brain; give you the stamina you need to keep driving. Find a safe place to pull over and nap for about fifteen to twenty minute. Set an alarm. You do not want a twenty-minute nap to turn into an hour-long nap. For your safety, you should choose a place that is not too isolated, such as car park, near a filling station, a busy roadside restaurant, etc.

Open a window

The sensation of cold breeze hitting your face can wake you up. Whnever you are feeling sleepy open a window for a few minutes. Opening the window will also usher in a great deal of background noise. This will prevent you from dozing off.

Source:

https://autojosh.com/how-to-stay-awake-when-driving/

Nice one. Opening the window option worked for me but not for long.
What's best I can tell is lifestyle of regular exercise. Seems odd but surely works.

Defaramed I guess your type don't have such issues.
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by Omonaijani: 12:29pm On Feb 08, 2019
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by 4ckTOTO: 12:43pm On Feb 08, 2019
Fall asleep in Naija road?
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by Defaramade(m): 3:15pm On Feb 08, 2019
thornapple:

Nice one. Opening the window option worked for me but not for long.
What's best I can tell is lifestyle of regular exercise. Seems odd but surely works.

Defaramed I guess your type don't have such issues.
Lol, I don't even know how to drive. Perhaps you'll teach me tongue
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by hefelove(m): 3:18pm On Feb 08, 2019
I remembered when I was learning how to drive, third day sleep begin catch me for steering and I was like, naxo driving dey dull person ni cheesy
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by Nobody: 7:02pm On Feb 08, 2019
Defaramade:
Lol, I don't even know how to drive. Perhaps you'll teach me tongue
Seriously?
How come?
Any way I could teach you. Including powerbikes too if you care. wink
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by Defaramade(m): 7:35pm On Feb 08, 2019
thornapple:

Seriously?
How come?
Yippee, I'm in cheesy
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by samoney: 8:00pm On Feb 08, 2019
ok nice
Talk2UsNow:
Ji ma sun
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by Nobody: 8:13pm On Feb 08, 2019
Defaramade:
Yippee, I'm in cheesy

uwc, learning to drive a vehicle is very easy but my powerbike will take a while.

Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by akmaldini(m): 12:16am On Feb 09, 2019
thornapple:

Seriously?
How come?

Sis,i don't mind if you teach me.preferably manual...
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by Nobody: 12:53am On Feb 09, 2019
akmaldini:

Sis,i don't mind if you teach me.preferably manual...
I learnt with manual nearly 10 years ago but right now, have little clue how to move them.
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by akmaldini(m): 8:46am On Feb 09, 2019
thornapple:

I learnt with manual nearly 10 years ago but right now, have little clue how to move them.

Trust me,you still have the memory,just need to practice then you will remember..
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by Offpoint: 8:55pm On Feb 12, 2019
thornapple:
' !
Happy new year, it's been awhile. hope you're good?
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by Nobody: 7:03pm On Feb 14, 2019
Offpoint:

Happy new year, it's been awhile. hope you're good?

yes I am but the end of my days on nairaland draweth near. will eventually deactivate of give away the handle of my account to anyone interested.
Re: How To Stay Awake When Driving by Offpoint: 8:52pm On Feb 14, 2019
thornapple:

yes I am but the end of my days on nairaland draweth near. will eventually deactivate of give away the handle of my account to anyone interested.
Why?

can I at least have your number, I've been on it for months.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences / What's Consuming My Fuel (gas) / Does Your Car Turn Heads?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.