Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences (15930 Views)

38 FRSC Traffic Offences & Their Penalties / FRSC's Offences & Penalties List / 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by AutoReportNG: 8:16am On Apr 15, 2017
Most times, we have heard stories from drivers, commuters, and others that they are not aware of some certain driving laws when they are arrested or prosecuted. On every road there are road users such as motorists, pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists, passengers and animals

As a road user, it is expected that the road is used in accordance with the rules and regulations, Every road user should be disciplined. careful and considerate to others, to ensure safer roads. thereby avoiding road crashes and or arrest and prosecution.

In the exercise of the functions conferred by (510(4) of the FRSC Act, 2007 establishment), members of the corps shall have the right to arrest ad prosecute any person reasonably suspected to have committed any traffic Offence(s).

It is, therefore, an offence to:

* Be on any road without any lights or faulty lights, signs or reflectors or wrongful use of signals
* Obstruct any section of the road with vehicles or in any other way that may affect free flow of traffic
* Use a restricted road where it Is marked "one way" or "no entry"
* Disobey speed-limits erected at road construction areas or any other road
* Drive a vehicle without a valid learner's permit; driver's license or any other permit required by law
* Drive a vehicle without a valid vehicle license of identification mark being displayed
* Overtake another vehicle wrongfully
* Disobey traffic light signals
* Disobey or disregard road signs or pavement markings
* Drive a vehicle, a two or three wheel cycle on any road in a reckless or negligent manner that will be dangerous to other road users.
* Drive a vehicle or motorcycle with forged vehicle papers
* Drive a vehicle or motorcycle under the influence of drugs or alcohol
* Drive a vehicle or motorcycle or any mechanically propelled engine that would result in the damage to any public presence, street light, traffic lights, road signs etc
* Engage in any act of commission or omission by motorists which may constitute hazard to other road users
* Remove from a vehicle, the sign, "Do not move"
* Use a road that is under construction
* Fail to move over to the slow lane to free up traffic flow
* Uncover gravel or other unstable materials with tarpaulin or strong plastics to stop it spilling on the road
* Cover number plates at the front and rear sides the vehicle
* Load a vehicle above the weight or number of passengers required by law
* Drive a vehicle with projected load
* Obstruct a marshal in the performance of his duty
* Drive a vehicle with damaged or shattered windscreen
* Drive a vehicle with worn tyres or without spare tyre
* Drive a vehicle that is mechanically deficient
* Drive a vehicle without fire extinguisher
* Assault a marshal on duty
* Corrupt a marshal on duty
* Fail to report at designated place by a traffic offender
* Drive a vehicle that emits excessive smoke
* Drive a commercial vehicle without a passenger manifest
* Use your GSM phone while driving
* Driver under 18 years of age
* Ply the road by commercial drivers and conductors without badges
* Ply the road without side and inner rear mirrors
* Smoke or eat while driving
* Drive a double-decker bus in Nigeria
* Fail to use your headlight s during inclement weather
* Fail to signal when changing lanes, making a turn or pulling in front of another vehicle
* Fail to properly secure under-aged children in an approved school safety seat or booster seat
* Travel in a bed of a pick-up truck by any person
* Fail to use belts while driving
* Fail to pay any prescribed fine or other fees under the law
* Provide incorrect address under the law
* Reject accident victims by hospital medical personnel
* Ride a motorcycle without a crash helmet properly strapped to the head and fastened under the chin
* Drive with one hand

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/04/a-glance-at-nigerian-traffic-rules-and.html

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by AutoReportNG: 8:17am On Apr 15, 2017
Do we still obey traffic rules in Nigeria, especialy Lagos?

See more here

http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/04/a-glance-at-nigerian-traffic-rules-and.html

1 Like

Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by Merlissa(f): 1:12pm On Apr 15, 2017
Ok
Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by josephine123: 1:13pm On Apr 15, 2017
VIDEO: Nigerian Road Signs and Road Markings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFZ1AX1xT-M

1 Like

Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by Nobody: 1:14pm On Apr 15, 2017
TO BE HONEST WITH YOU I DIDNT READ THIS BECAUSE AM A NIGERIAN grin

But permit me to update you , maybe you just returned from Yankee grin

* in Nigeria we don't have Traffic rules what we have are Traffic Crooks "you can just hear somebody calling you a madman for driving slow" grin...

*The next car brake light is your traffic light and your brake light is the person behind you traffic light "Red light means stop , ignition means ready , and red light off means Go " Believe me this is the one rule you might be needing grin

*The road saftely signboard is the name of a junction "maybe you haven't heard conductor yelling "SIGNBOARD " N u hear someone else respond "Owa" .. when you encounter this be sure to make a peep you will see a signboard with 43kmh speed limit grin
The person should alight there

I think for now this are the rules you have to know , be free to explore and discover more of our original traffic rules grin

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by kingreign(m): 1:14pm On Apr 15, 2017
yimu
Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by Nobody: 1:14pm On Apr 15, 2017
Whatever you do, don't pay bribe.
Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by farouk2much(m): 1:16pm On Apr 15, 2017
We cant obey them all

1 Like

Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by khrisE(m): 1:16pm On Apr 15, 2017
nice
Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by Benekruku(m): 1:17pm On Apr 15, 2017
Just have enough money with you and you free to brake all the rules.

The law is only for the weak and poor in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by oluwaVaz(m): 1:17pm On Apr 15, 2017
Wetin concern me... As I no come get motor nko cheesy

5 Likes

Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by tessiko: 1:20pm On Apr 15, 2017
Then who checks road safety, VIO, POLICE, ARMY etc vehicles. They are the no.1 2 3 offenders. All road users take note. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Na police talk that one ooo

1 Like

Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by Nobody: 1:21pm On Apr 15, 2017
Op 75% of Nigerian road users no nothing about this.Even the unscrupulous Road Agency workers are not "aware" of all this.Nigeria is completely lawless.

4 Likes

Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by castrol180(m): 1:22pm On Apr 15, 2017
The guy above me sha...
Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by Giannakopoulos(f): 1:23pm On Apr 15, 2017
I have a little crack on my windscreen. Hope there's no big offence.
Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by JOMAX: 1:26pm On Apr 15, 2017
PERSON wen get only one hand no go drive again?
Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by magicfingers009: 1:34pm On Apr 15, 2017
Drive with one Hand.
Hahaha. Let them kuku arrest all our celebrities that shoot music videos in Nigeria cos they are all guilty of this.
Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by Visocrate(m): 1:38pm On Apr 15, 2017
walahi force men don't obey all these rules and regulations in fact they are above the traffic rules and you dare not stop them because you know what will follow next , anyway God help us sha
Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by leksmedia: 1:39pm On Apr 15, 2017
Hmmmmmmm
Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by Nobody: 1:40pm On Apr 15, 2017
lol @ corrupt a marshal. grin
marshal wey dey corrupt already.

So, its an offence to drive with one hand. lol. very funny

Abeg can somebody tell me if there's FRSC or VIO in Porthacourt cos PH drivers are serial road offenders.

1 Like

Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by karma2000: 1:52pm On Apr 15, 2017
im short of words here
Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by Godlychild: 1:57pm On Apr 15, 2017
RicardozRichard:
TO BE HONEST WITH YOU I DIDNT READ THIS BECAUSE AM A NIGERIAN grin

But permit me to update you , maybe you just returned from Yankee grin

* in Nigeria we don't have Traffic rules what we have are Traffic Crooks "you can just hear somebody calling you a madman for driving slow" grin...

*The next car brake light is your traffic light and your brake light is the person behind you traffic light "Red light means stop , ignition means ready , and red light off means Go " Believe me this is the one rule you might be needing grin

*The road saftely signboard is the name of a junction "maybe you haven't heard conductor yelling "SIGNBOARD " N u hear someone else respond "Owa" .. when you encounter this be sure to make a peep you will see a signboard with 43kmh speed limit grin
The person should alight there

I think for now this are the rules you have to know , be free to explore and discover more of our original traffic rules grin
Lol

1 Like

Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by Dicksonpal: 1:59pm On Apr 15, 2017
magicfingers009:
Drive with one Hand.
Hahaha. Let them kuku arrest all our celebrities that shoot music videos in Nigeria cos they are all guilty of this.
I drive with one hand too.. Is that an offense for reals
Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by dinomcjohn: 1:59pm On Apr 15, 2017
Op, nice one. I have learnt one or two new traffice rules
Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by dinomcjohn: 2:00pm On Apr 15, 2017
traffic rules
Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by Darkseid(m): 2:13pm On Apr 15, 2017
I started driving at 17and I've been driving for the past eight years without license. Make dem come catch me na.
Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by Nobody: 2:15pm On Apr 15, 2017
I feel more comfortable driving with one hand cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by madgoat(m): 2:16pm On Apr 15, 2017
All these laws shocked
Re: A Glance At Nigerian Traffic Rules And Offences by chukzyfcbb: 2:28pm On Apr 15, 2017
I have seen a taxi driver arrested all because he was drinking water from a plastic bottle and at the same time driving.
Na that day I mad for the rules sha, HOT sun oooo and for person to drink water inside I'm car na offence, shuuu....it wasn't even as if the car was on speed gan. he was approaching a crowded area & so was doing prolly 20km/hr yet he was arrested coz he was drinking and driving.....fear these guys o, dem no get joy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Innoson Plans To Establish New Plant In Owerri, Produce 60,000 Units Annually / Is Ford Escape A Good Car / 7 Driving Position Mistakes Car Drivers Make

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.