Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

The Evangelical Bishop Who Stopped Believing In Hell - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Evangelical Bishop Who Stopped Believing In Hell (421 Views)

List Of The Largest Evangelical Church Auditoriums: First Three Are In Nigeria / "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban / Bishop Who Said Muslims Have The Right To Islamise Nigeria Featured In A Song (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Evangelical Bishop Who Stopped Believing In Hell by Nobody: 12:18pm On Feb 09, 2019
About 15 years ago, Carlton Pearson had what you might call a revelation.

Excerpts from the article - Full details here

It occurred to him that ideas that had informed his entire adult life — about heaven and hell, and what it takes to avoid one and enter the other — were just not true. What was a big deal for his personal faith became a much bigger one in his professional life, because Carlton Pearson presided over one of the country's biggest Pentecostal congregations in Tulsa, Okla., and his rejection of that theology for what he calls the "gospel of inclusion" would cost him just about everything he had.

We are dealing with at least 2,000 years of entrenched indoctrination — at least 2,000 with Christianity, 6,000 if you include Judaism. The concept, though, of a god who has terrible anger management problems, freaks out with these tantrums and throws earthquakes and volcanoes and tsunamis and cancer and AIDS on people, is a very frightening presupposition. It worried me for years. Not the love of God, not the cross of Calvary, but that eternal torment, not just punishment for the time that's worth the crime, but that you eternally ... How can mercy endure forever, and torment endure forever? One would cancel out the other.

And I believe that I'm actually trying to correct the thinking of my people, God's people, the Christian church, Judeo-Christian ethics — change our belief about a God who is angry and who we need Jesus to protect us from. Now that's radical, it's revolutionary and it's evolutionary. Now the same people who watched this movie and said "but he lost everything" are forgetting that 117 million people may get to hear this message. What am I doing in the movie? I'm not dead yet.

Summary :
His Investigation
- He was a rising star in the world of Evangelism
- Went to Oral Roberts University and was close to him
- He built a large church and great following
- But he still felt unfulfilled
- Was struggling with eternal torment for the lost and could not reconcile this doctrine to a loving God
- Carried out research and investigation into this doctrine and its source
- Came to the conclusion that the BIBLE IS a book inspired by MAN ABOUT GOD and is not a book inspired by GOD about MAN
- Came to realise that Hell is a LIE

The Outcomes
- He was rejected by the key players in the church
- Lost his church and following
- Was bribed to return by church leaders, with property and opulence - he rejected it
- People are hurt by his stance
- HE IS VERY HAPPY NOW AND MORE FULFILLED THAN HE EVER WAS

There is a movie about him on Netflix and will be watched by tens of millions - God is breaking the shackles and chains of religion.

Link to move - [url=https://www.netflix.com/search?q=come%20sunday&jbv=80152625&jbp=0&jbr=0]COME SUNDAY[/url]

Movie star is actually a Nigerian named Chiwetel Ejiofor

1 Like

Re: The Evangelical Bishop Who Stopped Believing In Hell by Nobody: 12:19pm On Feb 09, 2019
Re: The Evangelical Bishop Who Stopped Believing In Hell by Nobody: 12:21pm On Feb 09, 2019
cc Seun - please remove the trash up there.
Re: The Evangelical Bishop Who Stopped Believing In Hell by Aaronsrod: 12:22pm On Feb 09, 2019
Foolish man!

How can he believe in God who does not punish with Hellfire
Re: The Evangelical Bishop Who Stopped Believing In Hell by Nobody: 12:35pm On Feb 09, 2019
Aaronsrod:
Foolish man!

How can he believe in God who does not punish with Hellfire

Because he is sincere and has integrity , unlike most Nigerian Pastors.

1 Like

Re: The Evangelical Bishop Who Stopped Believing In Hell by Ubongdemaga: 1:28pm On Feb 09, 2019
I hate pple who jump into conclusion without a minute reasoning. To those who abuse, condemn and ask d admin to remove this , do u knw if the man is correct? Some1 done a research and come out wit dis and instead of doing a counter research to see if u can counter him but u jump in and start abusing him. I am a Christian but i came to see there's more to the religion am practicing than what my pastor and other preachers preach. As a Christian i think we should do more research than any other religion cos our religion seems to b complicated than other religions. About one million churches around the world are with different doctrine. Is that not enough confusion? Jehovah witness claim there's no hell fire but other churches believe in it. Some church believe in rapture while some don't. So please when u see a write-up like this think twice b4 u conclude. Some1 like me i think and support that as a Christian we should not hav anything to do with old testament cos thats where we introduce Judaism into Christianity.
Re: The Evangelical Bishop Who Stopped Believing In Hell by Golden6(m): 4:21pm On Feb 09, 2019
Good Day Believer's,

I had a question , about God, and I made the following assumptions about God to ask it;

God can do Anything
God Knows Everything
God loves Everyone Equally
When Sinners die , they go to hell

And someone , who claims to be born again made the following statements in his attempt to answer my question;

God Cannot do Anything
God Does Not know Everything
The soul of dead sinners are destroyed, they do not go to hell.

Most importantly , Not only did he claim God does not love Everyone , he also claimed that God loving everyone is a very stupid idea.

Is that truly what most Believer's believe in ? I am honestly shocked by his views.. especially on that about God's love.

Here is the link to the question I asked,

https://www.nairaland.com/5007574/argument-god-does-not-exist#75489803

Please , try and help me understand how God Exists , and who he is. Thank you
Re: The Evangelical Bishop Who Stopped Believing In Hell by malvisguy212: 9:44pm On Feb 09, 2019
frosbel2:

Because he is sincere and has integrity , unlike most Nigerian Pastors.
this is the kind of god atheists will like. No hell , no heaven, survival of the fittest .

(1) (Reply)

Head Of Sri Lankas Catholic Church Rejects Bullet-proof Car / Real Money Is With Satan, Pastor Says(video ,photos) / Thunder Strikes Popular Prophetess Dead In Ebonyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.