Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,075 members, 7,957,006 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:32 AM

The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi (3224 Views)

5 Greatest Heavyweight Boxers Of All Time / Ike Ibeabuchi Released From Prison After 20 Years ain US Jail / Anthony Joshua Beats Carlos Takam To Retain Heavyweight Title (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by themonk(m): 9:32pm On Feb 09, 2019
By Gavin Howie: Ike Ibeabuchi had all the tools to become one of the real great heavyweights, but he had one major flaw; and that was himself. Born in Nigeria on February 2nd 1973, Ibeabuchi originally intended on joining the Nigerian military, that was until he witnessed Buster Douglas KO Mike Tyson in 1990 and that inspired him to take up the sport of boxing.

Ike turned professional on October 13th 1994 by scoring a 2nd round knockout over Ismael Garcia. His first big test would come 3 years later on June 7th 1997 when he faced the undefeated David Tua. Tua had amassed a record of 27-0 with 23 knockouts, and was widely being touted as the next Mike Tyson. This fight now holds legendary status and was a war of sheer brutality, one that Ibeabuchi would come out on top of by way of a 12 round unanimous decision. The rise of Ibeaubuchi had begun… or had it?

Only a few months after the Tua fight, Ibeabuchi would find himself in trouble with the law. He was sentenced to 120 days and paid a $500,000 civil settlement after pleading guilty to a charge of false imprisonment. After 13 months out of the ring Ibeabuchi returned to ko Tim Ray in the first round. Ike was back, but his mental status was becoming a cause for concern. He would insist on being called ‘The President’, and had an alter ego where he believed he was the president of the world.

Chris Byrd, who would later go on to become the IBF world champion was up next for Ibeabuchi. The match was set for March 20th 1999. Byrd was a slick southpaw and was also undefeated with a record of 26-0. The fight would be over in just 5 rounds and Ike Ibeaubuchi was now a major contender in the heavyweight division. With a record of 20-0 with 15 knockouts and aged only 26 years of age, Ibeaubuchi looked like he would go on to become one of the most dominant heavyweights the world has ever seen. Sadly this was not the case, and this was the last time we would see Ibeabuchi in the ring again.

Following a string of varied offences, Ibeabuchi would serve his best years in prison and wouldn’t be released until he was 41 years of age. Ike planned to make a comeback upon his release, but was thwarted in this due to immigration issues. Ike Ibeabuchi had everything required to succeed in the ring, its just such a shame that his mental frailties got the better of him and eventually defeated him in his quest to become heavyweight champion of the world.

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2019/02/the-greatest-heavyweight-that-never-was/

2 Likes

Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by themonk(m): 9:32pm On Feb 09, 2019
Mods semid4lyfe honeric01
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by themonk(m): 9:34pm On Feb 09, 2019
His fight with David Tua has the record of most punches thrown in a sanctioned boxing fight.

2 Likes

Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by themonk(m): 9:41am On Feb 10, 2019
angry
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 11:21am On Feb 10, 2019
Hmmmm. Never heard of him untilnow. Maybe because I'm not a boxing buff. Nigerians are great!

1 Like

Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by StOla: 8:36am On Mar 09, 2019
I remember watching some of his fights in the early 2000s. He stature and style was a reincarnation of Mike Tyson.

I also remember that one of the charges against him was sexual assault. A very damaging tool to bring down an "uppity Nigger".

I also remember that the boxing promoter, Don King delusionally promised Nigerians to help with his prison release.

1 Like

Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by STRENGTHesq(m): 3:29pm On Mar 15, 2019
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:
Hmmmm. Never heard of him untilnow. Maybe because I'm not a boxing buff. Nigerians are great!
He's a Biafro-Nigerian cool grin
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 3:31pm On Mar 15, 2019
STRENGTHesq:

He's a Biafro-Nigerian cool grin

Lols. Nigeria comes first.
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by STRENGTHesq(m): 3:51pm On Mar 15, 2019
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

Lols. Nigeria comes first.

Biafra comes first angry
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 3:55pm On Mar 15, 2019
STRENGTHesq:

Biafra comes first angry
Oburu na nke ahu ga eme gi ka ighe ura ofumma,nsogbu adighi.

1 Like

Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by STRENGTHesq(m): 7:10pm On Mar 15, 2019
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

Oburu na nke ahu ga eme gi ka ighe ura ofumma,nsogbu adighi.
grin grin
Ugbua Ka ibiara

2 Likes

Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 10:04pm On Mar 15, 2019
STRENGTHesq:
grin grin
Ugbua Ka ibiara

grin grin You Igbos sha

2 Likes

Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by STRENGTHesq(m): 6:43am On Mar 16, 2019
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

grin grin You Igbos sha
wink grin
Biafra is our first love
Who forgets his first love?
Who does that

1 Like

Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 7:18am On Mar 16, 2019
STRENGTHesq:
wink grin
Biafra is our first love
Who forgets his first love?
Who does that

Of course one's love can be dumped especially when things can't work out between the two of you!
You guys keep shouting Biafra Biafra!Apart from Nnamdi Kanu's noise,What else have you guys done to bring this dream to life? Especially you! I mean you strengthesq? Apart from your phone that provides immunity to you to type whatever you like online what have you done offline to actualize una Biafra dream cheesy cheesy
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by STRENGTHesq(m): 7:35am On Mar 16, 2019
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

Of course one's love can be dumped especially when things can't work out between the two of you!
You guys keep shouting Biafra Biafra!Apart from Nnamdi Kanu's noise,What else have you guys done to bring this dream to life? Especially you! I mean you strengthesq? Apart from your phone that provides immunity to you to type whatever you like online what have you done offline to actualize una Biafra dream cheesy cheesy
grin grin in Burna boy's voice I no wan die,i no wan kpef grin

sad
With time we will all emerge offline but for now,but for me,not in this murderous Regime grin
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 8:10am On Mar 16, 2019
STRENGTHesq:
grin grin in Burna boy's voice I no wan die,i no wan kpef grin

sad
With time we will all emerge offline but for now,but for me,not in this murderous Regime grin

I conclude you are not serious with the Biafra then grin grin
Check the records of other countries that successfully seceded from their former countries. You gonna see how they do it cool
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by STRENGTHesq(m): 8:16am On Mar 16, 2019
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

I conclude you are not serious with the Biafra then grin grin
Check the records of other countries that successfully seceded from their former countries. You gonna see how they do it cool
Nnamdi Kanu is our poster boy grin
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 8:40am On Mar 16, 2019
STRENGTHesq:
Nnamdi Kanu is our poster boy grin
He incites violence cool And don't forget that violence begets violence. We have many Latin maxim to derive home our solo point in this regard cool
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by STRENGTHesq(m): 9:16am On Mar 16, 2019
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

He incites violence cool And don't forget that violence begets violence. We have many Latin maxim to derive home our solo point in this regard cool
who incites violence more than this present Government?
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 12:44pm On Mar 16, 2019
STRENGTHesq:
who incites violence more than this present Government?
Wow. Tell me how,sir. I obviously don't know embarassed
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by STRENGTHesq(m): 12:49pm On Mar 16, 2019
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

Wow. Tell me how,sir. I obviously don't know embarassed
operation Python Dance
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 1:09pm On Mar 16, 2019
STRENGTHesq:
operation Python Dance
grin grin

No bro. I believe you know our constitution. Ipob activities were proscribed by the supreme court. Going ahead to constitute themselves into public nuisance by this same ipob was a serious offence cry RIP to those that lost their lives.
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by STRENGTHesq(m): 4:51pm On Mar 16, 2019
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

grin grin

No bro. I believe you know our constitution. Ipob activities were proscribed by the supreme court. Going ahead to constitute themselves into public nuisance by this same ipob was a serious offence cry RIP to those that lost their lives.
whatever helps you sleep at night bro grin
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 6:56pm On Mar 16, 2019
STRENGTHesq:
whatever helps you sleep at night bro grin

grin grin

Daalu Nwoke Biafra. I'm still your yoruba friend. cool

1 Like

Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by STRENGTHesq(m): 8:45pm On Mar 16, 2019
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

grin grin

Dalu kwa nwanne n'amba we are good grin
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 10:24pm On Mar 16, 2019
STRENGTHesq:
Dalu kwa nwanne n'amba we are good grin

grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by IvarTheBoneless: 12:47pm On Mar 17, 2019
themonk:
His fight with David Tua has the record of most punches thrown in a sanctioned boxing fight.

Remember this fight. Downloaded it on YouTube.

He had so much potential that was wasted
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by themonk(m): 5:34pm On Mar 17, 2019
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

grin grin

Yoruba boy wey fluent for igbo, you grow for east? shocked
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by themonk(m): 5:35pm On Mar 17, 2019
IvarTheBoneless:

Remember this fight. Downloaded it on YouTube.

He had so much potential that was wasted
So much talent wasted. Imprisoned in his prime, what a sad story.

Mynd44 Lalasticlala seun
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 7:53pm On Mar 17, 2019
themonk:

Yoruba boy wey fluent for igbo, you grow for east? shocked

Yes. Enugu to be precise cool
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by themonk(m): 11:00pm On Mar 17, 2019
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

Yes. Enugu to be precise cool
Me too, from Uwani down to Emene cool
Re: The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 3:01am On Mar 18, 2019
themonk:

Me too, from Uwani down to Emene cool

Waoh. Obu NsK town here cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

'try Not To Compare Messi With Ronaldo Any Longer!' - Balotelli Excited / Tiger Woods Seriously Injured In Car Crash With Tree / Make #58,496.71 With 50 In 21days.......... A Real Deal.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.