Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,140 members, 7,852,872 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 07:36 AM

Meet Web Evangelists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Meet Web Evangelists (822 Views)

Nairaland Evangelists / Interviews With Celestial Church Of Christ Prophets And Evangelists / Nigerian ''Evangelists'' Condemned For False Miracle Claims - BBC News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Meet Web Evangelists by wakes: 7:45pm On Aug 22, 2010
Are you into web evangelism and would like to meet others who are into this noble ministry? Then you are in the right place. For a start, who is a web evangelist? a web evangelist is one(an evangelist) who takes evangelism to the online community without leaving out real time evangelism. He interacts with "strangers" online and turns them to "friends", presents the gospel to them, challenges them to accept Christ into their lives and goes ahead to 'follow them up'. thereafter he incorporates them into a local church.

Below are  some web evangelists you would want to meet:

Karen Schenk
    Director, TruthMedia.com

Karen Schenk is the Director of TruthMedia Internet Group, a ministry of Campus Crusade for Christ Canada. TruthMedia strategically builds online communities of evangelism and discipleship and currently runs 22 websites in 12 languages. Karen’s main areas of responsibility include managing the editorial and interactive teams and overseeing a corps of over 400 volunteers.

I have the unique opportunity of remotely managing a significant staff and volunteer team of over 400 people that spans the globe. I do this from my home in Alberta, Canada. My husband and I have been on Campus Crusade for Christ staff for 14 years. In 1999, I was at home with small children and desperately desired to do something of significance that worked with my family situation.

I contacted WomenTodayMagazine.com to see if they could use my writing skills. I was startled when the offer came for me to begin a chat ministry! I’d never been in a chat room and everything I had ever heard about chat was either bad or boring. A colleague and friend of mine had been asked to help me with this project. We got together and discussed what a chat ministry could possibly look like. We decided that the moderated chat sessions would require two things. They would need to be evangelistic and of significant value. With a plan in mind, we began.

As the weeks went by, we did not allow the near-empty room to discourage us. We discovered that though we had small turn-outs, hundreds of people were reading the posted transcripts. With that knowledge, we wrote as many meaningful chats as possible to share the message of hope. Today, posting transcripts is no longer necessary as thousands of people come to these chat rooms and attend the many small groups. Many are led to faith in Christ.

In January 2002, I was asked to take on the role of Director of Women Today Online. God had been shaping me exactly for this role by giving me leadership, design and journalistic abilities. He also gave me an interest in technology and a deep love for the Lord. I’m passionate about seeing God do extra-ordinary things through ordinary people. I am currently serving as the Managing Director of TruthMedia Internet Group and oversee its network of 22 websites in 12 languages. I get to see God do amazing things every day!

Changed life story
One of my favorite changed life stories was when I had the opportunity to lead a woman to the Lord and then to discover that she only lived a mile from my home. Since that time four years ago, her husband and two children have come to know the Lord and are now serving in our local church. Another encouraging story was about a gentleman who wrote us on a Saturday morning saying he had planned that weekend to take his life as he was a terrible husband and father. I emailed him that Saturday morning and asked him to wait until we could get him some help. We then had one of our online counsellors speak with him and help him through some very difficult months. He recently emailed our site (two years later) to let us know that he is walking with the Lord and doing very well.

It’s an incredible privilege to participate in a ministry that reaches thousands for Christ. It’s exciting to see people volunteer and have significant ministry impact from their homes and businesses in their areas of interest and in conjunction with their schedules. The Internet is a great place to minister!

Doug Reese
Webmaster: To the Next Level

I was directed by the Lord to start a web-based sports ministry. I was on along trip home after a wrestling tournament when the Lord clearly spoke tome. He told me to call it To The Next Level and showed me rather clearly the layout of the site. I argued with Him about that I could not do this. I had really no knowledge of websites. He told me that “not too long ago you did not know anything about the sport of wrestling.” (I was a college and national coach in the US at that time.) There was no arguing with Him. I knew I had to do this, but I did not know where to start. I put it off for two months, then I felt like Jonah, so I thought I better get going. I started surfing the web and found the Web Evangelism Guide. I read everything I could, I checked hundreds of links from the site. I then sought some students from our college who were in studying computer science. I wore them down with numerous questions. Slowly but surely, within three months of part-time work, our website was on-line and growing. I felt I was not qualified or skilled to do this kind of work. But, what I learned was: if you are called by God, He qualifies you to do His work. And that is a tremendous blessing!

TTNL is a ‘covert’ ministry. Our website looks like a sports magazine, drawing in coaches and athletes to articles and resources to help them reach the next level in their sport. Articles on nutrition, strength training, physiological development, mental skills, and coaching and program development fill our pages. Also it is our goal to bring back integrity, sportsmanship, and character back to the field of play – as we stress these ideals.

But the magic of the website is articles and testimonies of over 400 professional and Olympic athletes in all sports. Gently the Gospel message is there presented by sportsperson, to sportsperson.

We are averaging 270,000 hits per month and lately we have been reaching some 70 countries world-wide. It is exciting when I see hits from the Middle East and China. I know that God’s word is getting out in these closed environments. Currently we are translating the website into Spanish. I would also like to translate it into some other languages.
                                                   THE
                                                           CHALLENGE?

YOU CAN BE INVOLVED. BUT HOW?  VISIT  http://www.internetevangelismday.com/blogging.php#
watch out for the next,

(1) (Reply)

Holy Ghost Baptism / Arab Spring may trigger anti-Israeli war / Islamists Kill Dozens In Nigeria Christmas Bombs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.