Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,712 members, 7,824,021 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:34 PM

IELTS FOR NIGERIANS : Does 'sleep Off' Really Mean ' To Fall Asleep'? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / IELTS FOR NIGERIANS : Does 'sleep Off' Really Mean ' To Fall Asleep'? (779 Views)

GUYS!! What Is Even The Meaning Of SAPA? (what Does It Mean To You) / Top 25 Fully Funded Scholarships In USA Without IELTS For International Students / Productive Things You Can Do, When You Can’t Fall Asleep. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

IELTS FOR NIGERIANS : Does 'sleep Off' Really Mean ' To Fall Asleep'? by kingIfey(m): 10:58pm On Feb 13, 2019
He has slept off.❌
My dad has slept off❌

Why are these two expressions wrong?

They are wrong because the phrasal verb 'sleep off' is transitive , but it has been used as an intransitive verb.

A transitive verb always require an object. When somebody sleeps off, one need to ask....what exactly did he sleep off?

Sleep off is a transitive verb which means to sleep until you do not feel I'll anymore , respect after drinking too much alcohol. E.g. He needs to sleep off the effect of last night's party.

You can actually say

My dad has gone to sleep✔
My dad has fallen asleep✔
My dad has drifted off to sleep✔

If you want to imply that somebody fell asleep without intending to, you could say they nodded off.

'Nod off' is an intransitive phrases verb which means 'to begin to sleep when you do not intend to. E.g.
The young man nodded off while we were still seeing the horror film.

Honestly, there are a lot of errors in our spoken English, some of these errors can mar your write-up.

Those who are gonna sit IELTS pleas do take note. This is one of the reasons a lot of people will advice that you reduce the use of phrases verbs and idioms when sitting IELTS. You might not know when something you said could be interpreted differently or be viewed as incomplete or inadequate just like the verb 'sleep off' in the sentence 'my dad has slept off'.

Thank you for reading through and watching my video.

Give us a thumbs up.

I am King Ifey, your resident linguist and
I love to see you prosper

Watch the video and subscribe to get frequent videos and articles that can help you improve your spoken English and up or writing skill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdbGUTYG6j8

Re: IELTS FOR NIGERIANS : Does 'sleep Off' Really Mean ' To Fall Asleep'? by alphaNomega: 7:22am On Feb 14, 2019
This also means the sentence " My dad has slept off" can be identified as pidgin.

Pidgin English is the best.

1 Like

Re: IELTS FOR NIGERIANS : Does 'sleep Off' Really Mean ' To Fall Asleep'? by kingIfey(m): 8:36am On Feb 14, 2019
Very funny. I hardly hear people say that in pidgin. They usually say that when they speak the English language cheesy

alphaNomega:
This also means the sentence " My dad has slept off" can be identified as pidgin.

Pidgin English is the best.

(1) (Reply)

Thread For Japan Prospective Student.. / University Of York Vice-chancellor’s Scholarships / We Design And Sew

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.