Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,677 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

Mathematicians, Come And Try These Four Challenges. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Mathematicians, Come And Try These Four Challenges. (1066 Views)

Mathematicians Come In / Nairaland Mathematicians And Physicists, Come And Try This. / Mathematicians In The House. I Need Your Help On Mensuration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mathematicians, Come And Try These Four Challenges. by Martinez39(m): 1:12pm On Feb 14, 2019
NB : Show your working

1) Give me the formula for the volume V of a solid formed by taking a sphere of radius R and boring a cylindrical hole of radius r through it with the centre of the sphere lying on the axis of symmetry of the cylinder. cheesy

2) Find the mass of the solid sphere of radius 5 metres whose variable density at every point on the sphere is such that it is linearly proportion to the distance from the centre of the sphere.

3) Give me the coordinates of the centre of the region in the plane bounded by the graphs of f(x) = 4 - x² and g(x) = x + 2 ?

4) I placed the following six masses : 7kg, 6kg, 5kg, 4kg, 3kg and 2kg on the cartesian plane and they have the following coordinates (2, 3), ( ½, 4), (-3, 2), (-4, 1), (3, - 2) & (1, 1) respectively. What are the coordinates of the point on which I can balance the cartesian plane on the tip on a pencil without it tipping over?
Re: Mathematicians, Come And Try These Four Challenges. by Nobody: 3:15pm On Feb 14, 2019
Martinez39:
NB : Show your working

1) Give me the formula for the volume V of a solid formed by taking a sphere of radius R and boring a cylindrical hole of radius r through it with the centre of the sphere lying on the axis of symmetry of the cylinder. cheesy

2) Find the mass of the solid sphere whose centre is at the origin but whose variable density is such that it is linearly proportion to the distance from it's centre.

3) Give me the coordinates of the centre of the region in the plane bounded by the graphs of f(x) = 4 - x² and g(x) = x + 2 ?

4) I placed the following six masses : 7kg, 6kg, 5kg, 4kg, 3kg and 2kg on the cartesian plane and they have the masses following coordinates (2, 3), ( ½, 4), (-3, 2), (-4, 1), (3, - 2) & (1, 1) respectively. What are the coordinates of the point on which I can balance the cartesian plane on the tip on a pencil without it tipping over?

Can you explain number 4 a bit further?
Re: Mathematicians, Come And Try These Four Challenges. by Martinez39(m): 3:45pm On Feb 14, 2019
Darivie04:

Can you explain number 4 a bit further?
When you place various masses on a plane, there is a point on the plane at which the plane(together with the masses) would balance on a pencil tip. What is that centre of balance for the mass system I gave in question four?
Re: Mathematicians, Come And Try These Four Challenges. by Nobody: 6:02am On Feb 15, 2019
Will be dropping solutions for 1,3 and 4 later. Number 2 still seems a bit confusing though..I would need some explanations on that.
Re: Mathematicians, Come And Try These Four Challenges. by Martinez39(m): 9:00am On Feb 15, 2019
Darivie04:
Will be dropping solutions for 1,3 and 4 later. Number 2 still seems a bit confusing though..I would need some explanations on that.
Thanks. Number 2 was incomplete. I have modified it. wink
Re: Mathematicians, Come And Try These Four Challenges. by Martinez39(m): 9:55am On Feb 16, 2019
@Nurrex

What's wrong? Why are you posting closed posts?
Re: Mathematicians, Come And Try These Four Challenges. by Martinez39(m): 10:03pm On Feb 19, 2019
Mathematicians no dey Nairaland?

Re: Mathematicians, Come And Try These Four Challenges. by Nobody: 6:36pm On Feb 20, 2019
Sorry oh! I've been busy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mathematicians, Come And Try These Four Challenges. by CodeTemplar: 10:21pm On Apr 15, 2019
Martinez39:

4) I placed the following six masses : 7kg, 6kg, 5kg, 4kg, 3kg and 2kg on the cartesian plane and they have the following coordinates (2, 3), ( ½, 4), (-3, 2), (-4, 1), (3, - 2) & (1, 1) respectively. What are the coordinates of the point on which I can balance the cartesian plane on the tip on a pencil without it tipping over?
-0.1111, 2.03737
I will upload workings later.

I am on android and can't type comfortably as I would have loved but let me try.
Just start from coordinate 0,0 and treat the x and y coordinates as the x and y magnitude of the weights. This will require us to multiply the x and y value by the weight attached to each point.That gives the resultant x and y axis weight component of all loads.

Next step is to add them all together ( all x axis added together separately from y axis )

finally divide by the net weight of loads available.
Re: Mathematicians, Come And Try These Four Challenges. by CodeTemplar: 9:20am On Apr 16, 2019
Martinez39:
NB : Show your workings :
Find the inspection of the two equations:
4-X² = x+2
gives
X²+X-2=0 and this gives
X= -2 and 1

substituting these values in the equations gives values for y as 0 and 3. This corresponds to point (1,3) and (-2,0)
The centre of the equation should be answer and is (-0.5, 1.5)

Please respond and tell if I got any right.
Re: Mathematicians, Come And Try These Four Challenges. by Nobody: 9:42am On Apr 16, 2019
CodeTemplar:

Find the inspection of the two equations:
4-X² = x+2
gives
X²+X-2=0 and this gives
X= -2 and 1

substituting these values in the equations gives values for y as 0 and 3. This corresponds to point (1,3) and (-2,0)
The centre of the equation should be answer and is (-0.5, 1.5)

Please respond and tell if I got any right.
Its wrong, you can plot it and check.

You're supposed to find center of the region bounded.

1 Like

Re: Mathematicians, Come And Try These Four Challenges. by Martinez39(m): 11:06am On Apr 16, 2019
CodeTemplar:

-0.1111, 2.03737
I will upload workings later.

I am on android and can't type comfortably as I would have loved but let me try.
Just start from coordinate 0,0 and treat the x and y coordinates as the x and y magnitude of the weights. This will require us to multiply the x and y value by the weight attached to each point.That gives the resultant x and y axis weight component of all loads.

Next step is to add them all together ( all x axis added together separately from y axis )

finally divide by the net weight of loads available.
The sum of moments about the y-axis is:
Σ(mixi) = (7 × 2) + (6 × ½) + (5 × -3) + (4 × -4) + (3 × -2) + (2 × 1) = -18
The sum of moments about the x-axis is:
Σ(miyi) = (7 × 3) + (6 × 4) + (5 × 2) + (4 × 1) + (3 × -2) + (2 × 1) = 55
The sum of masses
Σmi = 7 + 6 + 5 + 4 + 3 + 2 = 27.

The point of balance is (a, b), where
a = Σ(mixi) ÷ Σmi = -2/3
b = Σ(miyi) ÷ Σmi = 55/27

Point of balance is (-2/3 , 55/27).
Re: Mathematicians, Come And Try These Four Challenges. by CodeTemplar: 11:16am On Apr 16, 2019
Martinez39:
The sum of moments about the y-axis is:
Σ(mixi) = (7 × 2) + (6 × ½) + (5 × -3) + (4 × -4) + (3 × -2) + (2 × 1) = -18
The sum of moments about the x-axis is:
Σ(miyi) = (7 × 3) + (6 × 4) + (5 × 2) + (4 × 1) + (3 × -2) + (2 × 1) = 55
The sum of masses
Σmi = 7 + 6 + 5 + 4 + 3 + 2 = 27.

The point of balance is (a, b), where
a = Σ(mixi) ÷ Σmi = -2/3
b = Σ(miyi) ÷ Σmi = 55/27

Point of balance is (-2/3 , 55/27).

I think I made a mistake in the x-axis then. I used MS Excel thinking I could copy it into Nairaland for better formatting but, as you can see...
I got -3 in the part where you got -18.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mathematicians, Come And Try These Four Challenges. by CodeTemplar: 5:13pm On Apr 16, 2019
Darivie04:

Its wrong, you can plot it and check.

You're supposed to find center of the region bounded.
I understand you now. I was working with the assumption that the equation of the line connecting the two intersections is their middle. I think I need sum both equations and divide by two to get and equation of their average at at points. I will try that.

(1) (Reply)

List Of Already JAMB Centres Suspended And More Are Yet To Be Shut / Jamb Withheld Result 2019 Latest News & Release Date / IMSU Cut Off Mark 2020/2021and Departmental Cut Off Point.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.