Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,323 members, 7,819,103 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Nigeria And Self Sufficiency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria And Self Sufficiency (217 Views)

Sanwo-Olu Unveils Five-Year Food Sufficiency Road Map For Lagos / LASG To Revive Badagry Food Production Centre, Commitment To Food Sufficiency / Nigeria Yet To Attain Self-sufficiency In Rice Production, Says Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria And Self Sufficiency by urahara(m): 6:08pm On Feb 15, 2019
The night before the meeting [Commonwealth conference], Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, whom I had visited two years before, gave us a banquet in the hotel. Raja and I were seated opposite a hefty Nigerian, Chief Festus, their finance minister. The conversation is still fresh in my mind. He was going to retire soon, he said. He had done enough for his country and now had to look after his business, a shoe factory. As finance minister, he had imposed a tax on imported shoes so that Nigeria could make shoes. Raja and I were incredulous. Chief Festus had a good appetite that showed in his rotund figure, elegantly camouflaged in colorful Nigerian robes with gold ornamentation and a splendid cap. I went to bed that night convinced that they were a different people playing by a different set of rules.

Yew, From Third World to First, Harper-Collins, pp 352.
Re: Nigeria And Self Sufficiency by urahara(m): 6:09pm On Feb 15, 2019
It's kind of amazing that since that time till now , we are still yet to shed this useless " self sufficiency " argument.

It even gets sad when u see the nonsense championed by the finance minister chief festus.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And Self Sufficiency by urahara(m): 6:10pm On Feb 15, 2019
Cc grandstar, theoldpretender

(1) (Reply)

Polls: Osinbajo Urges Lawyers, Church, Monarchs To Shun Corruption, Moneybags / PDP Accuses APC, Presidency Of Sabotaging INEC To Stagger Polls / Inec Must Be Allowed To Conduct Free And Credible Elections In Akwa Ibom State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.