Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,573 members, 7,955,112 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:19 PM

Carbon Poisoning From Car AC - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Carbon Poisoning From Car AC (1439 Views)

How Effective And Efficient Is Buying Car From Car 45 / (peugeot 807 VS Ford Focus) Urgent Help Needed From Car Gurus In The House / Car AC Works Well Only In The Morning And Evening But Struggles In Hot Afternoon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Carbon Poisoning From Car AC by SmartyPants(m): 4:53pm On Feb 16, 2019
Hello All.

I have seen a couple stories recently where people have been found either dead or unconscious in vehicles with no clear explanation as to what may have happened.

https://punchng.com/man-woman-found-dead-in-car-in-lagos/

https://www.pulse.ng/gist/driver-and-two-passengers-found-unconscious-with-their-eyes-wide-open/xqm1nbd

Now, one possible explanation frequently put forward is that some kind of Carbon monoxide or dioxide poisoning may have taken place in one of these three ways:

1. Leakage from the exhaust into the vents via the AC
2. Leakage of refrigerant
3. Infiltration of carbon monoxide from other vehicles through the vents and distributed via the AC.

I have done some investigation and spoken to my own mechanic and he assured me that the first option is not possible as there is no way a leakage from the exhaust can lead to infiltration through the AC system.

Some internet research also shows that refrigerant leakage is possible but is highly unlikely to lead to any form of damage as refrigerant gas is not harmful itself.

Finally the third option seems theoretically possible but given the condition of traffic on our roads, such cases should be much more common if it were a genuinely possible cause.

So guys, what do you think?

Expert opinions will especially be appreciated, along with any anecdotal evidence (examples/stories you heard).

2 Likes

Re: Carbon Poisoning From Car AC by SmartyPants(m): 11:50pm On Feb 16, 2019
Autojosh can you weigh in?
Re: Carbon Poisoning From Car AC by SmartyPants(m): 12:10pm On Feb 18, 2019
Reference can you weigh in? I observed you made a length comment on this topic on a different post.
Re: Carbon Poisoning From Car AC by yunus22: 9:56am On May 19, 2023
SmartyPants:
Reference can you weigh in? I observed you made a length comment on this topic on a different post.
my progress so far

(1) (Reply)

The Level Of Ignorance Of Vulcanizers And Tyre Sellers In Nigeria Is Alarming / BMW X6 Poor Throttle Response, Solved / Thoughts On Mobil 5w-30 Semi-synthetic Engine Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.