Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,161 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

Thoughts On Mobil 5w-30 Semi-synthetic Engine Oil - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Thoughts On Mobil 5w-30 Semi-synthetic Engine Oil (1180 Views)

Have You Seen Or Used The New Mobil Super 3000 Fully Synthetic 5W-40 Engine Oil? / Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil / Questions On Mobil 1 Engine Oil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thoughts On Mobil 5w-30 Semi-synthetic Engine Oil by nymphomaniac(m): 7:28pm On Apr 21, 2022
Good evening guys. What are your thoughts on Mobil 5w-30 semi synthetic?

Been using it for two service cycles now and I noticed by my next oil change(3k miles), the oil is about 3 ltrs left out of 5 and about 6 weeks into oil changes, it no longer gauges appropriately. Car is basically used for about 80 miles per week. There’s no sign of smoking and I have not discovered any oil leakage so I suspect that the oil dries up. It’s a Toyota 1MZ engine with about 177k miles.
Re: Thoughts On Mobil 5w-30 Semi-synthetic Engine Oil by Dozieson(m): 9:45pm On Apr 21, 2022
nymphomaniac:

Been using it for two service cycles now and I noticed by my next oil change(3k miles), the oil is about 3 ltrs left out of 5 and about 6 weeks into oil changes, it no longer gauges appropriately. Car is basically used for about 80 miles per week. There’s no sign of smoking and I have not discovered any oil leakage so I suspect that the oil dries up. It’s a Toyota 1MZ engine with about 177k miles.

Did you buy a toks car? Or you just decided to change oil type? Was the former oil drying up as this?
Re: Thoughts On Mobil 5w-30 Semi-synthetic Engine Oil by aieromon(m): 11:13pm On Apr 21, 2022
nymphomaniac:

The 1MZ-FE engine is susceptible to oil burn and this is worsened by its high mileage.

You might consider using a thicker oil.

1 Like

Re: Thoughts On Mobil 5w-30 Semi-synthetic Engine Oil by nymphomaniac(m): 12:19am On Apr 22, 2022
Dozieson:

Did you buy a toks car? Or you just decided to change oil type? Was the former oil drying up as this?
toks and it was previously on 5w-30.
Re: Thoughts On Mobil 5w-30 Semi-synthetic Engine Oil by nymphomaniac(m): 12:19am On Apr 22, 2022
aieromon:

The 1MZ-FE engine is susceptible to oil burn and this is worsened by its high mileage.

You might consider using a thicker oil.
so 20w-50?
Re: Thoughts On Mobil 5w-30 Semi-synthetic Engine Oil by dru23(m): 12:28am On Apr 22, 2022
nymphomaniac:

That is too much oil burning ... Check the simple things like the PCV valve ... And replace it brand new if necessary. If the pcv valve is bad it will cause oil burn and u will not see where the oil is burning from.....

I advice people to always use full synthetic oil.. Now in terms of oil weight , please and please don't use 20w50. Trying using 5w40 before going anything heavier .. But please check the most common thing first like the pcv....

We do have the 5w40 .. I think we have very few left and goes for 27k .....keep in mind we are the cheapest in the market.....choose wisely

Re: Thoughts On Mobil 5w-30 Semi-synthetic Engine Oil by aieromon(m): 1:33am On Apr 22, 2022
nymphomaniac:
so 20w-50?

0w-40
5w-40
10w-40
15w-40

Avoid 20w-50 as the engine is known to accumulate sludge.
Re: Thoughts On Mobil 5w-30 Semi-synthetic Engine Oil by xperiencelove(m): 6:18am On Apr 22, 2022
For my 1MZ with VVTi engine, I uses 5w 30 Advanced full synthetic since 2019 and the engine still runs like new.
The semi-synthetic you are using is also good but I will implore drive the car for up to 30mins then place it on a ramp, enter the ramp and check the underneath of the engine, oil must be leaking somewhere.
If you can't see any leakage outside, it is leaking inside through the PCV Valve as someone already suggested.

Avoid thick oil on the engine as sludge will kill the engine faster than you expected.

2 Likes

Re: Thoughts On Mobil 5w-30 Semi-synthetic Engine Oil by 9icetoo(m): 6:46am On Apr 22, 2022
If your pcv checks out and there is not oil leak anywhere, go to a higher weight oil.
Try Total Quartz 7000. It's been known to do the trick.
Good luck.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Will Happen If I Put A Jet Fuel In A Car? / Toyota Sienna Or Honda Odyssey 2008 Model? / How Does Firing Of Car Or Raving The Engine Affect The Performance.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.