Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,740 members, 7,820,548 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:55 PM

“How Obawinrin Became Olu Igbo And Later Olugbo” - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / “How Obawinrin Became Olu Igbo And Later Olugbo” (1960 Views)

Genesis Of Distrust Between Igbo's And Yoruba's — By Ojukwu (Video) / Bashir El-Rufai Blasts Igbos On Twitter, Apologises Later / Meet Jide Sanwo-Olu: Biography, Governorship APC Lagos State Aspirant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

“How Obawinrin Became Olu Igbo And Later Olugbo” by Nobody: 7:55am On Feb 17, 2019
Olugbo throne is indeed an ancient throne with a rich history

Leading Yoruba historian, Olootutof has revealed that the Olugbo throne is indeed an ancient throne with a rich history dating back to the days of Oduduwa and Obatala.

Some might not know, but Olugbo’s ancestors were royal Obas in Ile Ife as far back as the 12th Century AD.

Background
In a publication titled EMERGENCE OF ODUDUWA AS THE SUPREME HIGH PRIEST IN ELU, which we analyzed, Olootutof posits that Aboriginal Ife had 13 main settlements.

Each settlement had a high priest as the Oba (just like the NRI priest-kings). He stated that each settlement had its own separate market but a general one that serves the whole Ife called “Oja Igbomokun”.

He stated that the Aborigines or Autochtones at that point in history were referred to as “Igbo”.

He then revealed that Oduduwa, a highly skilled warrior of the highest order (generalissimo) met the Aborigines and brokered an alliance with them.

But after the alliance broke down, he and Obameri an Aboriginal chief who was Obatala’s former war general joined hands to displace Obatala from Ife.

However, after the fighting, highly respected elders named Ojomu from Iloran settlement brokered peace between Oduduwa, his ally Obameri and Obatala.

Obatala and some of his earlier followers were allowed to return and take a leading place under the overall leadership of Oduduwa, who then established the Yoruba/Oodua dynasty in which his sons also became rulers (Obas) in the new order.

He stated that Oduduwa ruled with such fairness that he won the goodwill of most of the remaining Aborigines whom he had earlier fought against. Oduduwa succeeded Obatala as the overall Priest-King of Great Ife. A new supreme title was created for him, “Ooni”. So, Oduduwa was the first Ooni of Ife.

Obawinrin to Olugbo
However, according to him the “Obawinrin now known as “Olu Igbo later Olugbo” refused to come back to Ile-Ife with Obatala because he felt unsecured and embittered and he decided to relocate to a far place known as “Igbo-Igbo” now the present day Oke-Igbo. (Not to be confused with the town which used to be called “Igbo” but which is now known as “Igbo-Ukwu”.)

“Obawinrin continued to harass and attack Ile-Ife people under the guise of masquerade until it was stopped through the deft intervention of Moremi.

“Igbo-Igbo was eventually sacked by the forces of Ile-Ife and Obawinrin and his people finally relocated down south in the riverine area.”

REFERENCE:

OLUREMI OBATERU

OMOTOSHO ELUYEMI

ADEBANJI AKINTOYE

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/oloolutof./2017/05/20/emergence-of-oduduwa-as-the-supreme-high-priest-in-elu/amp/

Comments in the article:

“I now know the reason why Oke Igbo speaks Ile-Ife dialect.”

“Not only that…..Derin Ologbenla also used Oke-Igbo as a war camp to attack Ode-Ondo( many hundred years after Olugbo (then Obawinrin) had relocated to the present Ugbo land.“

Source: http://www.igbodefender.com/2019/02/17/how-obawinrin-became-olu-igbo-and-later-olugbo/
Re: “How Obawinrin Became Olu Igbo And Later Olugbo” by Nobody: 8:14am On Feb 17, 2019
Fake newssss

No be only olu Igbo,na olu yansh

2 Likes

Re: “How Obawinrin Became Olu Igbo And Later Olugbo” by enm(m): 8:32am On Feb 17, 2019
Interesting piece to read. I love history
Re: “How Obawinrin Became Olu Igbo And Later Olugbo” by TheFreeOne: 8:33am On Feb 17, 2019
kolaxed98:
Fake newssss

No be only olu Igbo,na olu yansh

It's not about south east Igbos but an area of my state (ondo state), Ilaje/Ese odo (riverine) areas precisely.

HRH Obateru Akinruntan is the king of Ugbo (Olugbo).
Re: “How Obawinrin Became Olu Igbo And Later Olugbo” by Nobody: 8:50am On Feb 17, 2019
TheFreeOne:

It's not about south east Igbos but an area of my state (ondo state), Ilaje/Ese odo (riverine) areas precisely.

HRH Obateru Akinruntan is the king of Ugbo (Olugbo).

Don't lecture me on what I already know
Re: “How Obawinrin Became Olu Igbo And Later Olugbo” by Nobody: 9:10am On Feb 17, 2019
Lalasticlala
Re: “How Obawinrin Became Olu Igbo And Later Olugbo” by TheFreeOne: 9:58am On Feb 17, 2019
kolaxed98:

Don't lecture me on what I already know

If you do then what's the essence of your rant?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: “How Obawinrin Became Olu Igbo And Later Olugbo” by Nobody: 12:47am On Apr 05, 2019
Re: “How Obawinrin Became Olu Igbo And Later Olugbo” by MetaPhysical: 2:14am On Apr 05, 2019
Igbodefender, what's going on? It seems this Ooni statement is a breakthrough for you.

Before you go too far I want you to consider that Ile Ife was a rename and the title "OBA" was also a donation introduced by the Oduduwa dynasty. So Obawinrin, Obatala, Obajio and all other Oba titles were new designations after the super-imposition of the pre-existing NOK culture by the Yoruba migrated civilization.
Re: “How Obawinrin Became Olu Igbo And Later Olugbo” by Nobody: 2:37am On Apr 05, 2019
Pseudo-history for jobless people lipsrsealed
Re: “How Obawinrin Became Olu Igbo And Later Olugbo” by Nobody: 10:28am On Apr 05, 2019
MetaPhysical:
Igbodefender, what's going on? It seems this Ooni statement is a breakthrough for you.

Before you go too far I want you to consider that Ile Ife was a rename and the title "OBA" was also a donation introduced by the Oduduwa dynasty. So Obawinrin, Obatala, Obajio and all other Oba titles were new designations after the super-imposition of the pre-existing NOK culture by the Yoruba migrated civilization.

Don't you think that Oba may have been from the name Obatala, the same way as the imperial titles Tsar, Czar, Shar and Ceaser come from the Ceaser Family of Rome (Imperators Julius and Augustus Ceaser)?

There's nothing wrong if the Oba title initially came from the Yorubas, because I hold the Yorubas in the highest esteem, but let's examine the facts. To me, this is not competition but an effort to enrich/unearth the history of the black man.
Re: “How Obawinrin Became Olu Igbo And Later Olugbo” by iluvdonjazzy: 12:52pm On Apr 05, 2019
enm:
Interesting piece to read. I love history
you no love history reach me.
Re: “How Obawinrin Became Olu Igbo And Later Olugbo” by enm(m): 4:27pm On Apr 05, 2019
iluvdonjazzy:
you no love history reach me.

Really? Oya tell us the history behind iluvdonjazzy � � � �

(1) (Reply)

List Of Obasanjo’s Properties That EFCC May Investigate Soon / BREAKING! Prophet Joshua Iginla Relocates To South African ....builds 100,000 S / 2023: Okorocha Says Umahi, Peter Obi Cannot Stop Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.