Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,151 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:30 AM

Who Should Be Held Responsible For This Disgrace we called "Elections" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Should Be Held Responsible For This Disgrace we called "Elections" (1073 Views)

#SarakiCCT: Zakari Mohammed Responsible For Blackout During Saraki's CCT Trial / Ekiti State LG Election To Be Held On 19th Dec 2015 - Gov Ayo Fayose / ANAMBRA 2013: Why We Called For Rerun Of APC Primary – Election Observer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Should Be Held Responsible For This Disgrace we called "Elections" by buluti(m): 6:46pm On Apr 23, 2007
Observing the disgrace of the elections. Who should be held responsible for this?? Was it a script just waiting to be played by the PDP or was it a failure from INEC. Come to think of it the opposition thought INEC was ready to hold elections. So what happened?

Should we hold OBJ responsible or Maurice Iwu? Who does INEC report to. Maurice Iwu should resign but alas not in Nigeria he would be promoted.

Food for though to us all who should be held responsible for this madness?

Links for your personal consumption below. Like it or not this is what the world is reading and forming there impression on. Why complain when you are seen as "someone coming from hell" quote from a Nairaland user.

Are such statements like the west is "biased" or are reporting the "bad parts" or "they don't like Nigeria" not unintelligent or plain stupid. Is it not just a sign of not wanting to face our responsibilities as a nation blaming someone else? Is it the BBC or CNN that said we should not organise elections properly.

Feel free to contribute the intent of the thread is wide so you shouldnt be accused of not keeping to topic.

Flawed elections.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa/04/22/nigeria.elections.reut/index.html

Reports from observers.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6582979.stm

People happy to vote, though disinterested and have to raise up their hands, they are still happy to vote.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6579513.stm
Re: Who Should Be Held Responsible For This Disgrace we called "Elections" by otokx(m): 9:51pm On Apr 23, 2007
We "Nigerians" should be held responsible; no use deceiving ourselves we have got what we deserve.
Re: Who Should Be Held Responsible For This Disgrace we called "Elections" by buluti(m): 9:36am On Apr 24, 2007
I agree we definately got and still get what we deserve.
Re: Who Should Be Held Responsible For This Disgrace we called "Elections" by 9ja4eva: 1:59pm On Apr 24, 2007
Nigerians

INEC
Re: Who Should Be Held Responsible For This Disgrace we called "Elections" by Orikinla(m): 8:48am On Apr 25, 2007
President Olusegun Obasanjo, his ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and INEC have been found guilty of electoral fraud and here is the report from Ghana to enlighten us more.

Big Brother Nigeria: a Disappointment

Ghanaian Chronicle (Accra)
OPINION
April 23, 2007
Posted to the web April 23, 2007

Nigeria, undoubtedly a 'big brother' in Africa in terms of its population and market size, had an opportunity over the last fortnight, to demonstrate to the rest of the world that African leaders' purported commitment to good governance and democratic tenets were no fluke.

The world's press pitched camp in the continent's most populous nation on Saturday, April 14 and last Saturday April 21, to mirror to the rest of the world what was supposed to be democratic elections within a multi-party context.

At the end of the first elections on April 14, rather than demonstrating to the rest of the world that Africa is truly on course to reforming and refining its democratic processes so as to reflect the aspirations of its people, the continent is far from anything close to that.

Reports have it that the April 14 election, which was to elect governors, was characterized by malpractices of multiple voting, ballot box snatching, intimidation, threats and use of violence with many voters returning home disappointed as there were no ballot materials to allow them to vote.

At the end of it, many observers, both local and international as well as the press, described what happened on the day as an apology of an election. Whilst some described the irregularities and brazen fraud as an allocation of votes, others, including Dr. Reuben Abati, Chairman of the editorial board of The Guardian newspaper of Nigeria, described it as a 'desecration of the people's mandate.'

Most of the conflicts in Africa today and in the immediate past, could be traced to dissatisfaction with electoral results, especially, following clear attempts by incumbents to cheat opposition parties, even when they agree to resort to the ballot box.

Unfortunately, even as all the indicators of rigging were flagged and opposition parties cried foul, very few countries and so-called international democratic watchers were bold enough to call the wayward governments to order. They did not want to speak evil of the obviously evil path, hoping that the opposition parties would not make enough noise, so that life would continue as if nothing unusual had happened.

African dictators and democratic pretenders have known that in spite of initial ugly noises of opposition parties, which not many would listen to or hear so long as they do not resort to arms, they would soon keep quiet, allowing the 'winners' to continue with the status quo.

The Gubernatorial and Houses of Assembly elections of April 14 were described by the Nigerian Labour Congress and Academic staff Union of Universities (ASUU) as 'the worst election ever held in Nigerian history' - a charade.

The expectation was that there would be a conscious attempt at improving on the process. Alas! That was not to happen as armed hoodlums had a field day stuffing thumb-printed ballots into boxes at polling stations in last Saturday's elections, with helpless electoral officials and policemen looking on.

The plight of the opposition in Nigeria was made worse by the fact that while the time drew closer to the election day, they were left with little time to campaign effectively or educate their supporters as to how to cast valid votes for them. They were made to battle even for their inclusion in the electoral process. It was not surprising therefore that parties did not know the form of the ballot papers and where they were positioned on it.

For now The Chronicle can only join the rest of the continent in hoping that the anger of the Nigerian opposition does not burst. For a degeneration of the current situation would disturb the peace of the whole sub-region.

AllAfrica.com
Re: Who Should Be Held Responsible For This Disgrace we called "Elections" by saintchux(m): 12:02pm On Apr 25, 2007
9ja4eva:

Nigerians

INEC

I disagree with you.

we should blame INEC, FG, OBJ

INEC
They refused to enable a level playing ground for all political parties. The disqualify candidate at will with no reason.
E.G On 13th of April, INEC rejected a court order server on them by Ngige's lawyer to put his name on ballot paper because that day was public holiday. On the same day they accepted a letter from PDP that they are withdrawing from Imo state gubernatorial election, though is a public holiday. There are numerous breaches committed by INEC

FG
The FG refused to release money to INEC on time to prepare for the election, we can recall at a time INEC cheque bounced. The next election is 2011, INEC can start now to prepare for it, they will wait until December 2010.

OBJ
He delcared the election do or die affairs.

How can u blame Nigerians. We came out and voted and the result was changed. Are Iwu or any of his Commissioner that announce result. So what is the offense of Nigerians
Re: Who Should Be Held Responsible For This Disgrace we called "Elections" by 9ja4eva: 3:37am On Apr 27, 2007
Yu right

INEC most especially
Re: Who Should Be Held Responsible For This Disgrace we called "Elections" by olutomiwa(m): 7:35pm On May 10, 2007
me,me,me,me,me,MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Re: Who Should Be Held Responsible For This Disgrace we called "Elections" by kaesey(m): 8:05pm On May 10, 2007
me i think the greedy ATIKU should be held responsible b/c if he had joined forces with buhari or pat otomi to fight obj the elections will have been 50/50 or 49/51 but he wanted power at all cost after his 8yrs as vice president. also went out to meet the international bodies to come & witness elections in the country he & his boss has poluted with corruption.
thats me 4 u
Re: Who Should Be Held Responsible For This Disgrace we called "Elections" by OmoEko1(f): 6:50am On May 11, 2007
From Obj to INEC angry angry angry they should be responsible
Re: Who Should Be Held Responsible For This Disgrace we called "Elections" by angel101(f): 9:13am On May 11, 2007
saintchux:

I disagree with you.

we should blame INEC, FG, OBJ

INEC
They refused to enable a level playing ground for all political parties. The disqualify candidate at will with no reason.
E.G On 13th of April, INEC rejected a court order server on them by Ngige's lawyer to put his name on ballot paper because that day was public holiday. On the same day they accepted a letter from PDP that they are withdrawing from Imo state gubernatorial election, though is a public holiday. There are numerous breaches committed by INEC

FG
The FG refused to release money to INEC on time to prepare for the election, we can recall at a time INEC cheque bounced. The next election is 2011, INEC can start now to prepare for it, they will wait until December 2010.

OBJ
He delcared the election do or die affairs.

How can u blame Nigerians. We came out and voted and the result was changed. Are Iwu or any of his Commissioner that announce result. So what is the offense of Nigerians

while i agree with u, might i also add that the greater responsibility lies with the people of nigeria. these bodies u have listed above only do these things cos they know we will accept anything they throw our way and they can get away with murder. until we stand up to our own responsibilities and reject the evil treatment from these people, we are going to remain where we are.
i remember the first NLC strike in OBJ's administration in '99. it was taken so serious, the country came to a stand still and the FG was forced to negotiate. until we learn to stand our ground and suffer some hardship for the greater gain, i'm afraid we are going no where.

(1) (Reply)

On The Attempt To Impeach Femi Pedro / Hamas Has Started Again O! Don't Blame Israel This Time O / Obj's Car Runs Into Gully.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.