Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

Why I stopped going to Church. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why I stopped going to Church. (2359 Views)

Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. / Timini Egbuson: Why I Stopped Attending Church / Lady Visits Jahovah's Witness Hall, To Ask Why They Stopped Going Door To Door (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by Nobody: 9:47pm On Feb 17, 2019
MyVILLAGEpeople:

which one is corporate and individual prayers again??
seems u attend Christ embassy??
I don't attend Christ Embassy but study Christian literatures. I just recommended one for you so that you would understand better. And yes there is corporate prayers and individual prayers. Corporate is when men gather to pray for a particular thing see Matthew 18:19-20,Acts 12:5-18,Nehemiah 9:1-38,Acts 4:24-31,2 Chronicles 7:14. Individual prayers see: Matthew 6:5-7
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by bedspread: 10:03pm On Feb 17, 2019
desiredhome:

The world we live is a mystirous, you form your believe by what you where told and your environment, you don't know what happens to you when you die same way you don't know how you where formed.
What about non Christians who don't have same faith as your? Just asking
Thats The Reason Salvation is Free despite being the Most Precious.....

"And Whosoever ( No Discrimination) Believes in HIM (JESUS CHRIST ) shall have Everlasting Life..

Heaven is Real!
Hell is Real!!
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by Horiolah(m): 10:16pm On Feb 17, 2019
bedspread:
Thats The Reason Salvation is Free despite being the Most Precious.....

"And Whosoever ( No Discrimination) Believes in HIM (JESUS CHRIST ) shall have Everlasting Life..

Heaven is Real!
Hell is Real!!

How did u knw all diz??
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by bedspread: 10:20pm On Feb 17, 2019
Horiolah:

How did u knw all diz??
We have a Guide given to us by GOD ALMIGHTY OUR CREATOR...
That Guide is THE BIBLE
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by Horiolah(m): 10:25pm On Feb 17, 2019
bedspread:
We have a Guide given to us by GOD ALMIGHTY OUR CREATOR...
That Guide is THE BIBLE

Same as Muslims, so how do we knw d right one??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by bedspread: 10:42pm On Feb 17, 2019
Horiolah:

Same as Muslims, so how do we knw d right one??
Who Created You?
Who Died for your sins?

We all Whether Pagan , Christian,Muslim, Buddhist, etc are all CREATED by GOD ALMIGHTY... And we all will report back to HIM Irrespective of Religious belief...

Religion is the work of Man..

JESUS CHRIST Is not A Religion.... JESUS CHRIS SALVATION..

JESUS CHRIST is Eternal Life..

John 14:6
I am The Way, The Truth and The Life.. No Man Comes to The Father Except by Me..

Anyone on the Face of the Earth who has Heaven in view MUST Come through JESUS CHRIST..
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by Horiolah(m): 10:53pm On Feb 17, 2019
bedspread:

Who Created You?
Who Died for your sins?

We all Whether Pagan , Christian,Muslim, Buddhist, etc are all CREATED by GOD ALMIGHTY... And we all will report back to HIM Irrespective of Religious belief...

Religion is the work of Man..

JESUS CHRIST Is not A Religion.... JESUS CHRIS SALVATION..

JESUS CHRIST is Eternal Life..

John 14:6
I am The Way, The Truth and The Life.. No Man Comes to The Father Except by Me..

Anyone on the Face of the Earth who has Heaven in view MUST Come through JESUS CHRIST..

Religion is the work of man but Jesus was gotten from religion.

On your question abt who created me, well my mum gave birth to me cuz my pops filled her with some thick juice.

Who died for my sins?? Dude according to dat same book, i am still a sinner so wtf are you talking about??

John 14.6 tell that to d Muslims, Una go argue tire.
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by bedspread: 11:03pm On Feb 17, 2019
Horiolah:

Religion is the work of man but Jesus was gotten from religion.

On your question abt who created me, well my mum gave birth to me cuz my pops filled her with some thick juice.

Who died for my sins?? Dude according to dat same book, i am still a sinner so wtf are you talking about??

John 14.6 tell that to d Muslims, Una go argue tire.
You are still a Sin cos you have Refused to accept the salvation that was made available by the Death and Resurrection of JESUS CHRIST...

JESUS was not Gotten From a Religion..

He Owns The Earth and HE gave HIMSELF for the Earth...

Those of us who are still have breathe in us are the ones who still have Choices..

Ones Breathe Seizes , We Become Choiceless...

Those who have left the World Ztoday Without JESUS CHRIST are right now pleading for a 2nd Chance!!
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by gobuchinny: 11:04pm On Feb 17, 2019
asuustrike1:

Don't forsake the gathering of believers. There you mingle with other believers to share your burden, prayer together and share the word together. Corporate prayers are often answered than individual prayers. Get a Christian literature on prayers by Pastor Chris oyakhilome for more details

This is a wicked lie from the devil..corporate and individual? Kai see brain washing when you won't study u allow men of gold to tell you rubbish..

op church is not a building but the church is us beleivers..wherever there is a gathering of beleivers it's a church..you can church in your car, house, anywhere..all this gatherings in these mega churches are gatherings of vampires and God haters..men that care nothing about God but their pockets.,who think God is their lottery ticket

Where ever two or three are gathered that's church my brother...if you pray God will answer if you pray with your friends God will answer forget corporate prayer rubbish it's a lie..did God save you corporately isn't salvation individual so how do you think He will answer corporate prayers more than individuals?.Blind leading the blind..you won't study 5he bible but looking for dead literatures written by these thieves to read..READ YOUR BIBLE

3 Likes

Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by hahn(m): 11:10pm On Feb 17, 2019
frank317:
Just wanna know...what's God's role in all this confusion? Does the failure of that Church not make God a failure?

Like someone said, the church is filled with nothing but hypocrites and sinners.

Not one church but all of them. The pastors who call themselves men of God are confusionists who preach according to their own emotions and say it's God. They are all interested in making more money or having the feeling of power by controlling multitudes. All filled with pride with nothing to show for it but arrogance and lies.

I think if God is real, his project church as a gathering has failed once again. Recall God failed in every project he entered in the bible:

Project angel failed: this birthed Lucifer who is still on rampage
Project man failed: Adam became dysfunctional and so has all man till date
Project Noah failed: the reason he drowned everyone which was sin, still continued from his selected few
Project Jesus failed: multitudes are still going to hell
Project Church and holy spirit: the spirit has ended up causing confusion thats why we have many churches saying different things with the Churches filled with hypocrites and sinners.

I am sure project rapture and heaven will still fail

Indeed Jehovah is the god of failure and incompetence.

Like a celestial Nigerian politician

1 Like

Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by Nobody: 11:12pm On Feb 17, 2019
gobuchinny:

This is a wicked lie from the devil..corporate and individual? Kai see brain washing when you won't study u allow men of gold to tell you rubbish..

op church is not a building but the church is us beleivers..wherever there is a gathering of beleivers it's a church..you can church in your car, house, anywhere..all this gatherings in these mega churches are gatherings of vampires and God haters..men that care nothing about God but their pockets.,who think God is their lottery ticket

Where ever two or three are gathered that's church my brother...if you pray God will answer if you pray with your friends God will answer forget corporate prayer rubbish it's a lie..did God save you corporately isn't salvation individual so how do you think He will answer corporate prayers more than individuals?.Blind leading the blind..you won't study 5he bible but looking for dead literatures written by these thieves to read..READ YOUR BIBLE

Modified
You are been naive and ignorant. You know nothing about the things of the spirit. Keep your ranting to yourself because you perish for lack of knowledge. Even when evidence is starring at your face you still rant. Scriptures and verses are there for citations but you choose to be blind. Go through the thread and see all citations I made mr hypocrite
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by Horiolah(m): 11:19pm On Feb 17, 2019
bedspread:
You are still a Sin cos you have Refused to accept the salvation that was made available by the Death and Resurrection of JESUS CHRIST...

Those of us who are still have breathe in us are the ones who still have Choices..

Those who have left the World Ztoday Without JESUS CHRIST are right now pleading for a 2nd Chance!!

Even if I accept this salvation, I'll still be a sinner cuz we're bound to sin thanks to Adam and Eve. So which sin did anybody die for??

Jesus is the Messiah in the Bible, the holy book which xtians follow... Christianity is a religion.

I don't care abt what your book said concerning d owner of diz earth or where I'm gonna end up if I don't believe in it.

I do good cuz it's d right thing to do.
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by bedspread: 11:30pm On Feb 17, 2019
Horiolah:

Even if I accept this salvation, I'll still be a sinner cuz we're bound to sin thanks to Adam and Eve. So which sin did anybody die for??

Jesus is the Messiah in the Bible, the holy book which xtians follow... Christianity is a religion.

I don't care abt what your book said concerning d owner of diz earth or where I'm gonna end up if I don't believe in it.

I do good cuz it's d right thing to do.
Ok sir! GOD BLESS YOU
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by Horiolah(m): 11:33pm On Feb 17, 2019
bedspread:
Ok sir! GOD BLESS YOU

Thank you.
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by gobuchinny: 11:50pm On Feb 17, 2019
asuustrike1:

Modified
You are been naive and ignorant. You know nothing about the things of the spirit. Keep your ranting to yourself because you perish for lack of knowledge. Even when evidence is starring at your face you still rant. Scriptures and verses are there for citations but you choose to be blind. Go through the thread and see all citations I made mr hypocrite

grin grin e pain am..truth is bitter bro...deal with it...you worship man..I worship God...which evidence is staring at my face? You 5hink you know if a person is from God by earthly evidences? You are a baby christian..by their fruits you shall know them what r the fruits of your pastor and majority of his members? What r d fruits that you drive fancy cars or live in glass houses...even traditional worshippers have biggers houses and cars so what r u saying...get back to the word oga this the end time and the hearts of men have waxed cold
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by Nobody: 11:52pm On Feb 17, 2019
gobuchinny:

grin grin e pain am..truth is bitter bro...deal with it...you worship man..I worship God...which evidence is staring at my face? You 5hink you know if a person is from God but evidences? You are a baby christian..by their fruits you shall know them what r the fruits of your pastor and majority of his members? What r d fruits that you drive fancy cars or live in glass houses...even traditional worshippers have biggers houses and cars so what r u saying...get back to the word oga this the end time and the hearts of men have waxed cold
Which stupid truth. You should be ashamed of yourself for posting lies
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by gobuchinny: 12:14am On Feb 18, 2019
asuustrike1:

Which stupid truth. You should be ashamed of yourself for posting lies

If you are so sure please can we discuss scriptures..not your father in the lord`s dead books ooo but scriptures and especially NT because all these thieves hide in OT laws forgetting that you cannot mix old wine in new wine skin..that where you will hear all these spirit of Elijah and Elisha scam forgetting that the least in the Kingdom of God is greater than John the Baptist who was the greatest amongst prophets.

Be a student of the word not a student of rhapsody of reality sir..stop worshipping men but worship God..Your pastor is a brethren like you..his not special and should not be worshipped.
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by Nobody: 12:28am On Feb 18, 2019
gobuchinny:

If you are so sure please can we discuss scriptures..not your father in the lord`s dead books ooo but scriptures and especially NT because all these thieves hide in OT laws forgetting that you cannot mix old wine in new wine skin..that where you will hear all these spirit of Elijah and Elisha scam forgetting that the least in the Kingdom of God is greater than John the Baptist who was the greatest amongst prophets.

Be a student of the word not a student of rhapsody of reality sir..stop worshipping men but worship God..Your pastor is a brethren like you..his not special and should not be worshipped.
It seems you are still making the same mistake I pointed out. Probably you are not following the thread because if you do you would understand better. I gave explanations to the type of prayers which are corporate and individual prayers. I cited scriptures to back my claims why not go back to the thread and slowly look at what I said.
Secondly I made reference to one of pastor Chris's book but your myopic and stereotype thinking has made you concluded that many Christians worship their pastors. To set the record straight, am a devoted Anglican to the core not a Pentecostal. That doesn't stop me from attending other churches. It doesn't stop me from listening to other preachers and having an open mind. Many Christians claim they know so much because of the little study they do. Unfortunately they know nothing because they are not willing to learn. They study literatures not bible
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by Nobody: 12:32am On Feb 18, 2019
Congratulations - You have come out of the most confused religion on this planet.

Going to church is a waste of your time and money. Do something creative and innovative for the betterment of yourself and society.

You can see for yourself that despite the millions of shrieking religious adherents in Nigeria, the country is a HELL on EARTH.

2 Likes

Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by gobuchinny: 12:43am On Feb 18, 2019
asuustrike1:

It seems you are still making the same mistake I pointed out. Probably you are not following the thread because if you do you would understand better. I gave explanations to the type of prayers which are corporate and individual prayers. I cited scriptures to back my claims why not go back to the thread and slowly look at what I said.
Secondly I made reference to one of pastor Chris's book but your myopic and stereotype thinking has made you concluded that many Christians worship their pastors. To set the record straight, am a devoted Anglican to the core not a Pentecostal. That doesn't stop me from attending other churches. It doesn't stop me from listening to other preachers and having an open mind. Many Christians claim they know so much because of the little study they do. Unfortunately they know nothing because they are not willing to learn. They study literatures not bible

You are a devoted Anglican? What does that even mean? You see how immature a Christian you really r...who r Anglicans or methodist ain't they all Christians? Do you know the history of that sect...Henry VIII formed it to fulfill his lust to marry a second wife grin

Be a devoted christian not an Anglican or pentecostal as all this sects mean nothing to God bro..GROW UP and take ur walk with God serious..read your bible not rubish books written by carnal men...REPENT and seek the Father not comfort in dead groups that don't worship God by their pockets..

And yes I have seen you quotes and they don't elevate corporate prayers as you claim more than individual..God hears all and answers all..
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by Nobody: 1:03am On Feb 18, 2019
gobuchinny:

You are a devoted Anglican? What does that even mean? You see how immature a Christian you really r...who r Anglicans or methodist ain't they all Christians? Do you know the history of that sect...Henry VIII formed it to fulfill his lust to marry a second wife grin

Be a devoted christian not an Anglican or pentecostal as all this sects mean nothing to God bro..GROW UP and take ur walk with God serious..read your bible not rubish books written by carnal men...REPENT and seek the Father not comfort in dead groups that don't worship God by their pockets..

And yes I have seen you quotes and they don't elevate corporate prayers as you claim more than individual..God hears all and answers all..
Then you have lost it as you don't have any meaningful contribution to post. If after giving reason why I made reference to my Christian sect and you turn around to give another story totally different from what was asked initially then you are lost
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by gobuchinny: 6:24am On Feb 18, 2019
asuustrike1:

Then you have lost it as you don't have any meaningful contribution to post. If after giving reason why I made reference to my Christian sect and you turn around to give another story totally different from what was asked initially then you are lost

You are lost bro thinking going to a building to worship is Christianity. ..the church meets in a building people don't go to meet in church grin

Your sect as well as others magnify cathedrals and enormous structures forgetting that the old covenant is done away with...the brick and mortar has been destroyed and in three days the temple of our bodies were raised...WAKE UP BRO and don't base your beliefs in traditions of men

You spewing that trash about corporate prayers been answered MORE showed me your background and your shaky belief. ..the type that belives in their pastors or fake priests more than the Holy Spirit.

Eternity is too long to trust in doctrines of devils and men grin get into the word my friend
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 8:55am On Feb 18, 2019
gobuchinny:

Thanks Bro.
But the sheeples won't hear. Corporate and individual. chaiii
brainwashing of the highest order.

1 Like

Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by InansBobo(m): 8:42am On Feb 24, 2019
Changing church could have been better.

but...
You ain't any better than them,

Why not try to change them from their hypocritical lifestyle while they change you from your own flaws
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by CodeTemplar: 8:46am On Feb 24, 2019
Grace001:
80% of church goers are just going for show-off,networking and because they don't want pastor(daddy) to know they didn't come to church this Sunday. Church is full of 99.9% hypocrites(Gathering of hypocrites), most churches are less concern about the spiritual growth of their member but rather concerned about the numbers of registered members. Do you know some churches even sanction pastors whose members reduce drastically because the tithe and offering also reduces.

I know of a lady who use to preach to me every now and then to attend her church, just because she goes to church she felt she is holier than me. She even preach to me on a very day I was observing a 3 days fasting and prayer personally on my own. I looked at her and smile, I told her I have my own ways of connecting to God it doesn't have to be when I attend your church or any other church.

An unspeakable incident happened in her church, the parish pastor wife(pastor Mrs) was caught red handed. Another man(alleged to be a pastor) came to sleep with pastor mrs in her husband house, when they were caught the man in question escaped through the exit door. The church council had to transfer the parish pastor because of what happened so it discourage member. Pastor and pastor mrs are now separated.

I told her, you see it's not about going to church everyday it's about your relationship with God which will guide your step not to go astray. Going to church every Sunday doesn't even stop pastor mrs from committing adultery
Your story doesn't make sense with regards to that preaching sister. The pastor messed up and the sister is not responsible. Salvation is personal. Judas messed up but that didn't affect Jesus ministry.
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by Grace001: 10:17am On Feb 24, 2019
CodeTemplar:

Your story doesn't make sense with regards to that preaching sister. The pastor messed up and the sister is not responsible. Salvation is personal. Judas messed up but that didn't affect Jesus ministry.

No offense here please, maybe you should go back and read my story in between lines. The massage in my story is about the hypocrisy life style of Nigeria Christians that like to show off but they are nothing but a bench warmer.
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by Nobody: 10:21am On Feb 24, 2019
bedspread:

Lolz

See many contradiction here ooo...hmm
Re: Why I stopped going to Church. by Ihedinobi3: 12:38pm On Feb 24, 2019
There are very few churches (and I've never been in one such church in my whole life) where the biblical purpose of church is fulfilled. So, whenever someone says that they have quit going to church, I do feel a need to celebrate but I have learned to wait to hear why.

Your own reason is good but not what I hoped to hear. The Bible is clear that we should not associate with those who claim to be Christians but live in habitual sin in full glare with no sign of interest in repentance (1 Corinthians 5:11). So it is good to distance yourself from any group of people who accommodate such behavior.

But human beings are all naturally sinful. The very best believers among us still stumble, so we ought not to break fellowship merely because another believer stumbled and sinned. In fact, there are plenty of us in habitual sin who are agonizing about it and who try to not soil the gathering by committing it in the sight of other believers or making a point of justifying or excusing it. They are just really weak believers who love their sin too much to leave it alone. And you don't know about it either because they'll never tell you or commit it around you. Even if you do, we are commanded not to judge others (that is, not to condemn them in our hearts). The Bible does not teach that we should break fellowship with them. We encourage such people in the Truth and continue to help them, if they let us do so, to strive toward full spiritual maturity where they will be able to break their bad habits.

Now, the only biblical reason that anyone should actually decide to leave church is only that the Truth is not the concern of the gathering. Only the Truth defines church. If we are not learning the Truth wherever we go every Sunday, then it is a very bad idea to stay there because bad company corrupts good morals (1 Corinthians 15:33). If one makes a habit of being with fellow believers who don't care what the Bible really teaches, it tends to make them lose their own interest in learning what it teaches. This is why it is wise to avoid such company. But negatives are not how to grow spiritually and please God. The positive side to this is that one has to actively seek out the company of those who love the Bible and want to learn all the Truth of God in it. This is something that the Lord is very pleased with and will abundantly reward at the Judgment Seat of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5).

If the desire to learn the Truth is there and one actually looks for a place where they can learn, it may take a little time or a lot longer, but the Lord will eventually bring them to a gifted and prepared teacher of the Bible from whom they will learn all that they need to know to grow and fulfill their own spiritual ministry in the Church and win eternal rewards.

That is what happened to me and quite a few other people that I have recently come to know. It is also what God promises to everyone who wants to know Him (Matthew 7:7-8; Luke 11:9-10). At https://ichthys.com, I found such a teacher after tiring of all churches and pastors and trying to "serve God in my own way". (It took me probably all of teenage and my entire adult life to find him too.) There is another like him at www.bibleacademyonline.com. I know of at least one other associated with them and no one else. Feel free to check those websites out. I encourage you to. What I do not encourage is trying to pretend that you can do it on your own. We believers need each other (1 Corinthians 12:12-28; Ephesians 4:11-14). Trying to "serve God in your own way" will most certainly mean that you will not serve Him in His Own Way. So, it is already a spiritually arrogant thing to do. There is worse: arrogance breeds arrogance. So, as you have already started to call weaker believers "sheeple", you will soon find yourself, if not apostatising from the Faith (as many on this forum have after judging God by their experiences and by other people's behavior), then certainly believing and teaching very serious errors that will severely compromise your Faith in Christ and other people's if they choose to listen to you.

Please make the wise choice here.

Peace be with you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Preacher Claims He's Jesus: Even Greater? / Your God Is A Liar / Tope Alabi Now Has A New Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.