Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? (39054 Views)

The Right English Word For “K Leg” And Other Facts You Need To Know / Graduates Of Benin Republic Universities Can't Write Any English Word -NYSC Dire / Drop One English Word Which Will Make People Check Their Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by dnawah(m): 8:53am On Feb 18, 2019
Durentt:
Just like we Nigerians would say "I dashed him the money", what is the right English word for this 'dash'.
it depends in the situations and conditions,some na tiping,dashing,gifting,giving arms,assisting,bribing......
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by KAYSANTOS: 8:59am On Feb 18, 2019
Hand it on to him
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by rxmusa(m): 9:01am On Feb 18, 2019
life2017:
Dictionary recognise nigeria meaning of dash. No need stressing ourselves for a synonym.

Please which dictionary is this?
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by 1234AY(m): 9:03am On Feb 18, 2019
Grant.
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by Nobody: 9:05am On Feb 18, 2019
VictorRomanov:

Try to read the example you gave out loud. How does it sound in your ear?
it's an archaic use and since the OP isn't using it in a formal way, its allowed . Centuries ago, gift was used as a verb.
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by Tufunky: 9:07am On Feb 18, 2019
Freebie
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by Nobody: 9:11am On Feb 18, 2019
Crabholeing: A process where money falls into a crab hole.
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by owoseni01(m): 9:12am On Feb 18, 2019
The correct word is 'lend' example: 1. AS HE WAS STILL OWING ME TWO NAIRA, I WAS CAREFUL NOT TO LEND HIM ANY MORE MONEY (UTME 1973 Q54) 2. KINDLY LEND ME YOUR BOOK BECAUSE MY FRIEND HAS BORROWED MINE (UTME 1998 Q 82)
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by Corrinthians(m): 9:13am On Feb 18, 2019
maasoap:

Unless you're referring to the fact that he used "gift" instead of "gifted", the guy was correct 100%
Of course that's what I'm referring to.
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by criuze(m): 9:14am On Feb 18, 2019
Roger
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by ElDeshh(m): 9:14am On Feb 18, 2019
awoof
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by ruggedtimi(m): 9:20am On Feb 18, 2019
body bag
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by klad00(m): 9:21am On Feb 18, 2019
Take it go. Haha
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by Nobody: 9:28am On Feb 18, 2019
Tetehjewels:
GIFT!!

e.g I GIFTED HIM/HER THE MONEY or I GAVE HIM/HER THE MONEY AS A GIFT.

Rule of thumb entails that a gift cannot be returned except the receiver chooses to do so.

You can also use the term ABNEGATE

Gosh
The kind of grouse I have with abnegate?
Sounds too dry, formal, old, colonial, and is just energy draining
Dash is better please
They should learn our own
Please nobody should ever use abnegate ( for my peace of mind cheesy)
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by arrestdarrester: 9:32am On Feb 18, 2019
life2017:
Dictionary recognise nigeria meaning of dash. No need stressing ourselves for a synonym.

You too know book no be small
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by jibsy(m): 9:34am On Feb 18, 2019
Ex gratia payment
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by AkpaMgbor(m): 9:49am On Feb 18, 2019
life2017:

Is that from Oxford or Webster? That's probably an urban dictionary..

1 Like

Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by dfrost: 9:51am On Feb 18, 2019
correctguy0900:
Wait make i go ask Gov. Ganduje first

cheesy grin You dey madt gaan! Kai. Gandolla will kee you if you no take time. grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by emmy2244: 9:55am On Feb 18, 2019
I give you
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by TheBawse(m): 10:02am On Feb 18, 2019
its called GIFTING
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by OgaBuhari: 10:07am On Feb 18, 2019
correctguy0900:
Wait make i go ask Gov. Ganduje first
exactly what I was about type

1 Like

Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by Mhiztamurtala(m): 10:08am On Feb 18, 2019
I Atikulated him the money.. grin grin
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by pedrilo: 10:26am On Feb 18, 2019
charity
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by VictorRomanov: 10:36am On Feb 18, 2019
awelekiti:
it's an archaic use and since the OP isn't using it in a formal way, its allowed . Centuries ago, gift was used as a verb.

Whether gift is a verb or noun is not the problem. Gift is still a verb (and a noun) till tomorrow.

The issue is your tense

Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by April4th(m): 10:41am On Feb 18, 2019
correctyourself:
PDP, share the money.

APC, keep the secrets. grin grin grin
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by Nobody: 10:47am On Feb 18, 2019
VictorRomanov:

Whether gift is a verb or noun is not the problem. Gift is still a verb (and a noun) till tomorrow.

The issue is your tense
also, gift can serve as an adjective, depending on usage. Theres nothing bad in the usage in my sentence sir
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by VictorRomanov: 10:52am On Feb 18, 2019
awelekiti:
also, gift can serve as an adjective, depending on usage. Theres nothing bad in the usage in my sentence dir

In this case you re using it as a verb. And verbs have appropriate tenses to go with them.

Your tense in that statement is not correct.

Eg:

He give him/her money - wrong.

He gave him/her money - correct.

So the correct statement should have been: he gifted him/her money.

Check the attached picture for examples

Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by mechanics(m): 11:00am On Feb 18, 2019
Gave.
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by Nobody: 11:29am On Feb 18, 2019
VictorRomanov:

In this case you re using it as a verb. And verbs have appropriate tenses to go with them.

Eg:

if I say I gift her money, it's still correct because it's a perfect tense in a first person singular form

For instance... I gift, we gift, he gifts, they gift...

If i say i gift her money ( maybe i do it everyday or weekly or even yearly, it doesn't matter. It's used in a first person so guitar form). Please ignore my earlier post, in case you've read it where I admitted an error. Tnx
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by Nobody: 11:38am On Feb 18, 2019
VictorRomanov:

Eg:

my usage was correct and I've replied you already with explanations and examples. Tnx
Re: Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? by playboy19(m): 11:56am On Feb 18, 2019
Under accounting, it is called Goodwill.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Student Lost His Life In A Very Gruesome Way In Kwara [Graphic Photos] / Girl Bags 1st First-Class In Radiography At UNICAL / Check Your 2016/2017 WAEC Result Here Www.waecdirect.org

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.