Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot (3814 Views)

Buhari Cuts A Cake With Ojukwu During His 70th Birthday (Throwback Photo) / APC Took Jonathan To Court For Deploying Army During Elections! See Court Ruling / Bianca Ojukwu On Vacation With Daughter, Chineme In St. Tropez, French Riviera (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by iwayumeh: 6:46pm On Feb 18, 2019
Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 with Ojukwu On the Ballot

As Nigerians prepare for the rescheduled presidential elections, feelers from the nooks and crannies of the country have clearly shown that ethinicity will play very little role in deciding how people vote. Many have dubbed this election as a referendum on poverty, economic hardship, nepotism, and incompetence .

In this article, we will be looking at how the people of the people of  South East snubbed 3 of their own on the presidential ballot, including their most celebrated Son Odumegwu Ojukwu in 2003 in favour of a Yoruba man Olusegun Obasanjo,  a feat repeated again in 2007 when  south easterners again rejected one of their own as Umeezeoke in favour of President Umaru Musa Yaradua of blessed memory.

This was how the East voted :

Abia

Muhammadu Buhari ANPP 84,305 11.3 %

Olusegun OBASANJO PDP 386,748 51.7%

Odumegwu Ojukwu APGA 260,899 34.9%

Anambara

Muhammadu Buhari ANPP 79,476 09.2 %

Olusegun OBASANJO PDP 466,866 54.1 %

Odumegwu Ojukwu APGA 279,378 32.4%

Ebonyi

Muhammadu Buhari ANPP 16,308 02.0%

Olusegun OBASANJO * PDP 752,823 94.5%

Odumegwu Ojukwu APGA  20,525 02.6%

Enugu

Muhammadu Buhari ANPP 18,987 01.7%

Olusegun OBASANJO * PDP 897,721 79.7

% Odumegwu Ojukwu APGA 177,050 15.7 %

Imo
Muhammadu Buhari ANPP 53,983 05.3 %

Olusegun OBASANJO  PDP 656,861 64.6%

Odumegwu Ojukwu APGA 281,114 27.7%

This results is a clear message to those fanning the embers of disunity that the  ethnic card will not sell in the 2019 presidential election.

The main issues in the 2019 elections  is not where the candidates come from but the credentials and capacities of the candidates to deliver. If the current government had kept it's promises and  performed well as they claimed, then they need not fear as Nigerians especially the South easterners can always dump their own in favor of more competent hands as business men. 

However, if feelers from the streets of Nigeria especially the South West and South East are anything to go by then Mr Buhari and his co travelers should start preparing for the long journey to Daura as it appears Nigerians irrespective of their tribe or religion have decided to retire him there permanently.

15 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by NOC1(m): 6:55pm On Feb 18, 2019
That year numbers are dished out by Obasanjo through Maurice Iwu and co PLC (INEC officers)

Ballot box snatching and mass thumb printing is like bread and butter, result writing is carried out like a dictation class, palm kernel shell is seen a thumb.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by handie(m): 7:00pm On Feb 18, 2019
Going by this narrative of yours, you really believe Ojukwu lost even in his home town of Nnewi..... Lemme tell you a fact: The two elections conducted by Olusegun Obasanjo hold a reverred place in the hall of infamy with regards to the credibility of elections in Nigeria..... Back then, u can expect INEC to announce results even before the voting at ur polls ends

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by Born2Breed(f): 7:00pm On Feb 18, 2019
The only region who vote based on ethnicity are North and South West.

The most de-tribalized are South South and some times the South East.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by yomi96(m): 7:04pm On Feb 18, 2019
NOC1:
That year numbers are dished out by Obasanjo through Maurice Iwu and co PLC (INEC officers)
lies. All you people know is lies, deceit and propaganda of calunmy

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by NOC1(m): 7:27pm On Feb 18, 2019
yomi96:
lies. All you people know is lies, deceit and propaganda of calunmy

My brother before i respond to your comment I will like to ask you tgis questions.

What us your age?

Where have you been residing?

Where you political aware of your environment?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by pchukwudi: 7:49pm On Feb 18, 2019
Shut the fu ck up, if you have nothing sensible to say

This amoral behavior of zero conscience is the reason many folks find it repulsive to imagine that they share national identity with your type.

[s]

NOC1:

My brother before i respond to your comment I will like to ask you tgis questions.

What us your age?

[/s]

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by Manbiggs(m): 7:50pm On Feb 18, 2019
It's shows we are not tribalistic, we vote for who we feel will bring greater development to Nigeria at Large

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by Gforce2019: 7:53pm On Feb 18, 2019
And Obahiagbon speaketh :
I am maniacally bewildered, overwhelmed and flabbergasted at the paraplegic crinkum crankum that has characterised the latest news about election , culminating in an odoriferous saga cum gargantuan gaga! The jiggery pokery of homo sapiens flaunting their incompetence as INEC officials instead of achievements stemming from months of preparation and years of hard work is a veritable bugaboo that must be pooh-poohed by all compos mentis homo sapiens!
I said to my self: What an anathematous disdain of the citizenry! What a deprecable descent from the sublime to the ridiculous! Who will curb the odoriferous excesses of this machavellian and mephistopheleancabal in the country? With this state of affairs, i dare say that the future of our dear nation is swimming in a pestilential aqua with a disastrious terminus ad quem inherently laden with avoidable cataracts, ice bergs and oxbow Lakes. It is sardonic and lugubrious and SHOULD STOP!!!!

1 Like

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by NOC1(m): 7:57pm On Feb 18, 2019
pchukwudi:
Shut the fu ck up, if you have nothing sensible to say

This amoral behavior of zero conscience is the reason many folks find it repulsive to imagine that they share national identity with your type.

Brother I am not going down muddy waters with you, i wanted to know if you are a toddler but by your actions, you are just a baby, i ignore you because throwing of tantrums is embedded in every infant.

Little bro, ask your Dad to educate you on how elections were won after Obasanjo's first tenure till 2011.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by NothingDoMe: 7:58pm On Feb 18, 2019
NOC1:

Ballot box snatching and mass thumb printing is like bread and butter, result writing is carried out like a dictation class, palm kernel shell is seen a thumb.
So what you are saying is the results of that election cannot be used in statistical analysis?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by NOC1(m): 8:01pm On Feb 18, 2019
NothingDoMe:
So what you are saying is the results of that election cannot be used in statistical analysis?

It should not be used because it never came close to represent the choice of the masses, they where just scripts written by Obasanjo. even late Yaradua confirmed it during his acceptance speech.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by Nobody: 8:02pm On Feb 18, 2019
NOC1:

So which year did elections become free and fair in Nigeria? Under whose leadership?
Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by dododawa1: 8:05pm On Feb 18, 2019
NOC1:

What us your age?

did U want to hack is account,Omo okoro
Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by Atiku4betaNaija: 8:06pm On Feb 18, 2019
dare anyone to mention one project commissioned by Buhari in his 20mth despotic reign.
If you say there wasn't enough time, then consider that in less than 3yrs the Obasanjo regime constructed more projects such as Tin Can, MMA, Oshodi-Apapa expressway, National stadium, Festac estate, etc just to mention a few.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by Atiku4betaNaija: 8:07pm On Feb 18, 2019
The less you associate with some people
the more your life will improve.
Any time you tolerate mediocrity in others,
it increases your mediocrity.Nigeria's monthly cumulative external reserves dipped significantly in December, 1983 and January 1984 on the heels of Buhari's successive coup toppling the democratically elected civilian govt of Shagari.
On new years eve, December 31st, 1983, Major General Muhammed Buhari overthrew the Shagari regime and also plundered our external reserves.
The coup did not target military formations and state house alone but apparently the CBN headquarters at Marina, Lagos.
Was the mass movement of foreign reserves meant as payments to lobby western politicians in accepting the new regime change?
Where withdrawals also made as a precautionary safety net pension in case the coup failed?
It is important to note that Nigeria's lowest recorded reserves coincided with the months December, 1983 and January 1984.
How come under Mr. Integrity, Nigeria forex movements where negative?
Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by RTSC: 9:25pm On Feb 18, 2019
Yorubas would have filled redeemed church with stories of "he is our son" if ojukwu was Yoruba.

They brought tribalism to Nigeria and wonder why others are tribalistic too.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by Bullpenn11: 9:42pm On Feb 18, 2019
RTSC:
Yorubas would have filled redeemed church with stories of "he is our son" if ojukwu was Yoruba.

At least yorubas appreciate their own
Ibos hate themselves with a passion and fight each other
An Igbo man will vote for Lucifer over angel Gabriel once Lucifer dangles money before his eyes
These people are not politically savvy. They end up cheating themselves in politics
They will sell Ojukwu at seme border once you pay them small money
See how even Ojukwu party Apga denied his own wife senatorial ticket all because of money
Igbos must sell to the highest bidder.

6 Likes

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by RTSC: 9:46pm On Feb 18, 2019
Bullpenn11:

An Igbo man will vote for Lucifer over angel Gabriel once Lucifer dangles money before his eyes
These people are not politically savvy. They end up cheating themselves in politics
See how even Ojukwu party Apga denied his own wife senatorial ticket all because of money
It is now ,"appreciate their own", it is no longer tribalism.
The same thing awolowo did to azikiwe.

Don't worry, we are going to appreciate our own at the expense of others starting from this election.

May amadioha twist your tongue if you call it tribalism.

Double mouthed hypocrites.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by Omololu001: 9:47pm On Feb 18, 2019
Atiku4betaNaija:
dare anyone to mention one project commissioned by Buhari in his 20mth despotic reign.
If you say there wasn't enough time, then consider that in less than 3yrs the Obasanjo regime constructed more projects such as Tin Can, MMA, Oshodi-Apapa expressway, National stadium, Festac estate, etc just to mention a few.
so Tin can, MMA,oshodo-apapa expressway and festac were all created between 1999-2007/ grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by Omololu001: 9:50pm On Feb 18, 2019
RTSC:

no one begged you yeebos to vote OBJ grin

I was living with my uncle at akerele street in gbagada during the 2003 presidential election, I remember my uncle bought ballot papers home and asked us all to start voting the PDP grin

2003, 2007 and 2011 presidential election were nonsense.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by Viergeachar: 10:04pm On Feb 18, 2019
RTSC:

Elections didn't used to really hold in the yeast during that period.

Results were simply written.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by RTSC: 10:05pm On Feb 18, 2019
Viergeachar:

Elections didn't used to really hold in the yeast during that period.

Results were simply written.
But elections held in the west, abi?

Continue.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by RTSC: 10:07pm On Feb 18, 2019
Omololu001:
no one begged you yeebos to vote OBJ grin

I was living with my uncle at akerele street in gbagada during the 2003 presidential election, I remember my uncle bought ballot papers home and asked us all to start voting the PDP grin

2003, 2007 and 2011 presidential election were nonsense.
You don't need to beg us. It won't happen again.

Everybody is now ,"appreciating their own".

Abi no be so. ?

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by senatordave1(m): 10:07pm On Feb 18, 2019
NothingDoMe:
Yes sir.that election just like that of 2007 was massively rigged and fraught with inflations.over 90% turnout was recorded in some states which is impossible.ebonyi as of then had 800000 voters with over 700,000 voting while enugu with 1.2 million voters churned out 1.1 million.is it not ludicrous?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by Omololu001: 10:08pm On Feb 18, 2019
RTSC:

You don't need to beg us. It won't happen again.

Everybody is now ,"appreciating their own".

Abi no be so. ?
nah so o okoro.

1 Like

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by Okoroawusa: 10:11pm On Feb 18, 2019
NOC1:

Any result of elections in Nigeria conducted before the introduction of PVC n card reader should be taken with a pinch of salt. Especially the one conducted by OBJ n Maurice Iwu

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by senatordave1(m): 10:12pm On Feb 18, 2019
RTSC:

But elections held in the west, abi?

Continue.
Yes far more credible polls held in the west and north central.since ss,se dont like voting,pdp usually helped them to vote miraculously.
But let me look beyond the childish rigging and state my point.thats how this Saturday polls will pan out,apga will get similar results to what ojukwu was allocated by pdp while buhari and the camerounian will maintain their places but the figures for the latter will be lower.i hope it doesn't turn to a rigging competition betwern apc and pdp.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by senatordave1(m): 10:13pm On Feb 18, 2019
Okoroawusa:

Any result of elections in Nigeria conducted before the introduction of PVC n card reader should be taken with a pinch of salt. Especially the one conducted by OBJ n Maurice Iwu
Yes so.there was no election pre 2015 but allocation of votes except in some guber polls.

2 Likes

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by senatordave1(m): 10:16pm On Feb 18, 2019
Bullpenn11:

That is why atiku's greatest opposition is from the east and his failure will start from anambra.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Presidential Elections : See How Igbos Voted In 2003 With Ojukwu On The Ballot by Okoroawusa: 10:18pm On Feb 18, 2019
handie:
Going by this narrative of yours, you really believe Ojukwu lost even in his home town of Nnewi..... Lemme tell you a fact: The two elections conducted by Olusegun Obasanjo hold a reverred place in the hall of infamy with regards to the credibility of elections in Nigeria..... Back then, u can expect INEC to announce results even before the voting at ur polls ends
please educate them.Some of them will be voting for the first on Saturday

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abia State Government Provide Over Sizes Rubber Sandals To Pupils. . / Hausa/fulani Contributes More In Lagos, Swest Economy Than The Igbos / The Most Dangerous States In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.