Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,987 members, 7,817,907 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:33 PM

What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? (14914 Views)

Chigozie Ekenze, IMSU Best Student Gets N13.7M Scholarship From Rochas Okorocha / Unn Cut Off Mark Released!! !check Your Department Here / Mary Folafoluwa Oginni, Best Student In WAEC Who Left Nigeria Due To ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by naturefellow(m): 10:46am On Feb 19, 2019
Richdad50:
Your opportunities are quite limited in a country like ours. Moreso, you are likely to end up poorer than the rest.
Success in school department most often never result to success in life. The pains of failure remains the most incentives for a successful life.

#Richdad
you talk true, but don't scare the chap abeg! That your meme don finish?
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by Olubee22(f): 11:18am On Feb 19, 2019
Well, you'll be more popular and the lecturers would be willing to recommend you at anytime.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by mechanics(m): 11:22am On Feb 19, 2019
That does not matter, try and attend all lectures, read your books and avoid carry over.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by erenax: 11:27am On Feb 19, 2019
grin grin
JohnFrankling:
Free punana
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by Debby15(f): 11:54am On Feb 19, 2019
Popularity, Respect, Money ( if you can do tutorials). Most importantly, you feel proud of yourself. Just keep working harder and know there is more to life than just that.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by OfficialSam(m): 1:00pm On Feb 19, 2019
Richdad50:
Your opportunities are quite limited in a country like ours. Moreso, you are likely to end up poorer than the rest.
Success in school department most often never result to success in life. The pains of failure remains the most incentives for a successful life.

#Richdad

A third class or ordinary pass graduate spotted grin

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by Bayo19727: 1:30pm On Feb 19, 2019
[color=#990000][/color] see below

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by KENFERDYOORI(m): 1:49pm On Feb 19, 2019
safarigirl:
nobody said there aren't....but they are few.

Most first class graduates are focused on the theoretical. So, it is normal for deductions to be made based on the majority.

There are general rukes and exceptions, focus will naturally be on what generally occurs, not the exceptions. The exceptions only come into play on further analysis. It is nor pessimism, it is facts

Logic is needed for a rescue mission here....

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by rikatrina: 2:08pm On Feb 19, 2019
No advantage, I was the best from 200 level to final year. I am still struggling to feed myself.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by okeysly(m): 2:53pm On Feb 19, 2019
I remembered vividly back then In the University of Abuja Industrial Chemistry department 2016 set. I did some rigorous reading and finally emerged the best in my department, I was happy about it but the reality is no one was ready to retain me, the jobs weren't forth coming, I have to create a means to make ends meet for myself.

Truth be told in Nigeria its not easy to be a Man..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by PetersKID(m): 4:00pm On Feb 19, 2019
abeg am looking for someone that studied English please
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by Debby15(f): 4:30pm On Feb 19, 2019
PetersKID:
abeg am looking for someone that studied English please
I did.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by Chikabel: 5:31pm On Feb 19, 2019
None! A country like ours does not encourage hardwork most of the time. It's pathetic, but true!
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by enility(m): 8:23pm On Feb 19, 2019
Richdad50:
Success in school department most often never translate to success in life. The pains of failure remains the best incentives for a successful life.

#Richdad

Well said bro
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by Hahjascho(m): 9:17pm On Feb 19, 2019
Richdad50:
Success in school department most often never translate to success in life. The pains of failure remains the best incentives for a successful life.

#Richdad
I respect your points, but you made a utterly wrong application here.....it's so so depressing...... though lesson learnt from failure usually skyrocket but if you expect everyone to be a victim of failure then most will fall deep down and far beyond where they started.

Imagine stating the OP has a chance of becoming even poorer aaahbah na your type dey claim #EDUCATION NA SCAM

So those who end up graduating with poorer grades do not even stand a chance of living abi?

If the author of the book # RICHDAD you claim were to comment he would never have done what you did.......
pls always give an encouraging comments.....many are weakened already....

YOU CAN BE THE BEST ACADEMICALLY AND STILL RULE YOUR WORLD AS THE BEST ENTREPRENEUR, YES IN THIS COUNTRY .

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by Hahjascho(m): 9:19pm On Feb 19, 2019
Blinkers:
cool

The advantage is that the best students will end up working for the worst student in class.

The worst students often end up as wealthy criminals where the best students serve them.

Talk about LIFE!
That's old story.....and for best students that lack proper information.... this is new era...
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by Hahjascho(m): 9:23pm On Feb 19, 2019
irumole1975:
I'm sorry guy, but you won't find your answer here. Most people here are frustrated 3rd class graduates who only finds validation in discrediting anything that look like merit or first class. They're quick to point the fact that there are many first class graduates out there without job, and they themselves are the future entrepreneur lord like Elon Musk, Steve Job who will employ the first class graduates and give them job in the future. All that they need to do is to graduate with 3rd class or even drop out and become Mark Zuckerberg.
True talk bro....they believe in ***as long I didn't get it ,I destroy it mentality*
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by Hahjascho(m): 9:25pm On Feb 19, 2019
rikatrina:
No advantage, I was the best from 200 level to final year. I am still struggling to feed myself.
maybe you weren't informed enough!
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by Hahjascho(m): 9:50pm On Feb 19, 2019
Yoighaman:
Numerous benefits:

-You earn people's respect
-You feel very confident and proud of yourself
-You get popular
-You get recognition amongst your lecturers and other departments'
-Ladies like to associate with successful people, being the best makes you successful in your own right
-You make money, people offer you money here and there to teach them, some would even offer you money to allow them sit with or around you during exams
-You stand the chance of getting employed fast, and all things being equal climbing up the ladder quickly
-...and if you decided to run your own business and put it in proposals, prospective clients would take you more seriously
-You leave a legacy for yourself in that higher institution
-Later in life, you make it a bragging right for yourself
-When you eventually become successful in life, you will always let people know that you have always been marked for success and it was only a matter of time
-People would want to know the parents that gave birth to you
-You become an inspiration to younger generations and those to come
-When you die your name would be boldly written on the marble

In all of these, stay humble & focused, strive to have a First class to crown the advantage and get closer to your God.

I wish you all the best.
Nice one!
so, something like this can still sprout out from nairaland You try sha...good comment.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by brainboss1: 11:22pm On Feb 19, 2019
Richdad50:

#Richdad
Likewise, failure often never translate to success in life
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by brainboss1: 11:27pm On Feb 19, 2019
UbongCR7:
Close to nothing.
You may have scholarship opportunities though but knowing how our educational system is, before you are informed of it, the opportunity must have closed.

You may most likely be caged in one way or the other.

You will be depressed when you know that most times in Nigeria, it is not about merit but connection.

All these are from personal experience and experience of my friends.

From personal experience I agree with you. I was twice robbed scholarship opportunities by my school due to the sluggishness of attending to external memo and mail. Na only internal memo dy concern them.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by Abee79(m): 2:47pm On Feb 20, 2019
JohnFrankling:
Free punana
...And many students that fall within this category are not easily impressed or distracted by Free punana. We are usually too focused for such low level living! cool cool cool

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 2:48pm On Feb 20, 2019
safarigirl:
nobody said there aren't....but they are few.

Most first class graduates are focused on the theoretical. So, it is normal for deductions to be made based on the majority.

There are general rules and exceptions, focus will naturally be on what generally occurs, not the exceptions. The exceptions only come into play on further analysis. It is not pessimism, it is facts
citations please
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by TheManofTomorrow(m): 8:37pm On Feb 20, 2019
Having gone through the whole thread. I think my opinion goes thus.

Most people believe that being a first class student won't give you time to rule your world in other spheres of life apart from academics. Now that's untrue, it solely depends on your choice and inclination. Now the best student in a zone can also be the entrepreneur in another zone, I have seen cases.
If you will be a first class student however, please and please, I beg you to develop other marketable skill such as oratory, practical, relations, connections, et all. That's what will only make your first class really count in a country like ours I assure you.

Then being a first class students will expose you to lots of opportunities ranging from scholarship, some lecturers favour, and also propel you for quick acceptance into the labour market to garner experience to run your own business.

[i]Now lalasticlala, don't you think this thread is deserving to be on front page wink smiley[/I]

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by suelamar: 12:04am On Feb 21, 2019
I just wondering if there is anyone out there who also struggles writing history essays at uni level? I don't know what it is, but I find it very hard to analyse. I was really hoping History would equip me with these skills to write strong essays, but I still don't seem to "get it". Does anyone have any tips from taking notes to writing out a strong essay? Has anyone used this essay https://peachyessay.com/ agency? Thanks.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by emilfischer(m): 5:47am On Feb 21, 2019
Lots of awesome and equally depressing advice.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by PetersKID(m): 10:12am On Feb 22, 2019
michaelfriday44:
Am currently writing a CGPA of 4.55 the best in my department. As the best student of my department, I am well respected and is easy for me to ask for favours from students and lecturers. The girls are always around but trust me, someone just made mentioned of how that most of us the (bright students) are pastors or alfa, he is right. I have school Daughers. they will always ask me of my address but tell them I stay in the hostel. And for the guys, a lot of them will always want to sit with me in the exam hall. but trust me I only sit with the bright ones, remember iron sharpeneth iron and most of them will always ask me how I do it maintaining such a CGPA.
*The love I enjoy from guys of lower level.
*the recognition
*am not from a rich family, in fact I hustle from time to time to get the things I need on campus but I tell you the rich girls and guys still respect me.

Am a graphics designer and currently learning web development. After graduation Nobody will ask you what you graduate with unless when you go look for job. so as you pursue academic excellence have in mind that (this is Nigeria).

bros am in 100level first semester, our exams is next month, I need your advice.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by michaelfriday44(m): 3:44pm On Feb 22, 2019
PetersKID:

bros am in 100level first semester, our exams is next month, I need your advice.

1. Read for your C.A (test) as if you are reading for exams.
Trust me your exams alone can't give you an A or B, even if the course is as simple as A,B,C trust me the exam might not come the way you predict/envision it.

2. Have a time table of the courses to read each day from the beginning of the semester even if it just for an hour and stay true with it it helps. All you have to do during exams is to revise all you have studied during the semester, isn't that cool.

3. Take hard courses and courses with higher credit unit more serious and allocate more time to them.

4. Watch motivational videos on YouTube trust me it works because is not easy finding friends that take academics serious, if you find them hold them close. they are source of motivation.

5. Go to library during the weekdays it work wonders

6. when you feel like you have read enough and it seams nothing is going in, watch a movie, try it even during exams. when you feel sleepy. Don't stress yourself sleep and put on an alarm.

7. 100level result is the most important result because that is what you may likely graduate with. so be serious

8. Don't think you can do it without God. Village people are real.

9. once exam time table is out dont panic look for a class and think, evaluate every course, write down courses you are sure of getting an A because you are truely prepared for them, write down courses you have not prepared for at all and make a time table. on this time table every hour most be accounted for. allocate more time to courses least prepared for.

10. Don't let your academics take your social life from you. You can write the best result and still be social.

Is all about time management.

read book on time management.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by Tosin212(m): 5:42pm On Feb 22, 2019
[quote author=Richdad50 post=75879431]Your opportunities are quite limited in a country like ours. Moreso, you are likely to end up poorer than the rest.

#Richdad[/q
Truth talk ,only the wise will understand.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by Abudu2000(m): 12:08pm On Feb 23, 2019
Don't know about other departments but here's is the grading pattern in engineering. We have those who are good in calculation and drawing but poor in theory. When have those very good in cramming theory but poor in calculation and fair in drawing and accuracy. But to come top in engineering you have to be good all round and to achieve that, it takes a real genuine genuis. No university want to pass out an opportunity to employ such, no girl don't want that dick, no guys won't want to be friends. And by 200l when word finally gets out to other departments who the boss is, my brother you will be so rich and connected that even most lecturers will just give you a car key to run errands to get something from their house for them. Some will even want you to be closed to their kids who's planning to gain admission. The benefits are endless.

No body will plan bad against you unless you are that person that withhold knowledge. You are the key to the department's success, no matter how rude you are no one wants to be your enemy unless the person doesn't like his future. If you don't do your assignment, the class will fail theirs. You will represent in every academy competition. You will be the face of the department, you picture might remain in the wall of fame even after you leave. The benefits is endless my guy but it's not hardwork or anything. If you are good you are good. The no 1 in my class was so good that he and the lecture could enter another conversation about the topic and everyone will be lost. Most lecturers will even involve you in their research, etc

If benin students want dull them fit dull but if you find a Benin brilliant student, my brother don't compete or you might have brain fracture

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Being The Best Student In Your Department? by PetersKID(m): 11:58am On Mar 01, 2019
Debby15:

I did.
how can I get in touch with you am having difficulties on how to transcribe words please help

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Team OAU Makes Africa Proud In Mexico / Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day / Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.