Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,200 members, 7,835,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

Biafra Separatism: Causes, Consequences & Remedies - Prof. Ibeano, 2016 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra Separatism: Causes, Consequences & Remedies - Prof. Ibeano, 2016 (739 Views)

March 11 Elections: Govs Panic, Seek Remedies To Avert Disaster / Nigeria: A Nation In Reverse Separatism By Russel Andrew Crowe / One Of The Advocates Of Biafra Separatism Heads Inec Logistic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafra Separatism: Causes, Consequences & Remedies - Prof. Ibeano, 2016 by Tospringe: 4:06pm On Feb 19, 2019
Let me just digress a little before i focus on the main topic.

I read yesterday about how Prof. Okechukwu Ibeanu (INEC Logistics commissioner) was referred to as the Biafran in INEC, and accused of being responsible for last week election postponement. We all remember The INEC Chairman ascribed the problem to "sabotage" (will talk about it later) and logistical issue.
I now took my time to google Prof. Ibeano's response to Dr. Jibo Ibrahim on "Resolving the Igbo Non-Question: Pitfalls of Jibo’s Single Strand Ethnic Narrative"

The link can be found here:
https://opinion.premiumtimesng.com/2015/12/05/resolving-the-igbo-non-question-pitfalls-of-jibos-single-strand-ethnic-narrative-by-okechukwu-ibeanu/

Here are some of the excerpts from his response:

" I need not say that the Biafra agitation is more than relations between an ethnic elite and ethnic lumpen youths"

"The worst repression of the Biafra agitation was under Jonathan"

"Repeated reduction of voting in the Presidential election in the South East to ethnicity is somewhat curious". (even though S.E gave GEJ 2,464,906 votes, compared to PMB's 198,248 votes).

TO THE MAIN TOPIC:
As a young researcher (M. Eng holder), i browsed online to search for Prof. Ibeanu's publications and one of the results directed me to researchgate where i found a publication which is the title of this thread. It was co-authored by Nkwachukwu Orji and Kelechi Chijioke Iwuamadi", published 2016 (Ibeanu et.al., 2016).
You can download a copy from this link:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/312129707_Biafra_Separatism_Causes_Consequences_and_Remedies/download

The introduction part talks about how 2 policemen and 9 protesters were killed during IPOB protest in Anambra on 2nd October 2015, he later refereed to Radio Biafra as " the most high-profile and radical movement for a separate state of Biafra.

He narrowed down the causes of Biafra Agitation into three main strands, which are: ethnic divisions and competitions, economic frustration and state-society relation.

He also used the book to indict the Yorubas of colluding with the Hausas to kill the igbos during Kano riot on 16th May 1953. He claimed the numerous riots in the North and the Northern counter coup lead to the civil war but he forgot to dwell more on Kaduna Nzwogwu's coup that led to the death of mostly Northern and South western leaders, and how Aguiyi Ironsi refused to punish the coup plotters.

The book proposes some measures to address IPOB agitations. Some of the measures are:

1. The Nigerian government should prosecute without delay and in accordance with
international fair trial standards all those implicated in the killing and abuse of
Biafran supporters.

2. The Nigerian government should set up a high-level Peace and Reconciliation
Commission to engage with pro-Biafra groups with a view to devising an effective
approach to the resolution of the agitation foot Biafra.

3. Nigeria’s development partners should issue public and private statements
denouncing excessive use of force against and human rights abuses of Biafra
supporters, and call on the Nigeria government to hold abusive security agents accountable.

However, as part of the measures to address IPOB agitation, i thought Prof Ibeano would caution The IPOB leadership as regards constant threats and hate speeches. A typical example is how Nnamdi Kanu threatened to Stone Rev. W. F Kumuyi to death if he says come to the east for his crusade.

ABOUT THE ALLEGED SABOTAGE:
It's no more a news that The INEC chairman said sabotage and logistics were the reasons why the election was postponed. i agree with him based on two reasons:

1. The Minister of State for Aviation , Senator Hadi Sirika , on Sunday said the country’ s weather was good for flight operations on the eve of the elections , contradicting claims made by the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu .

https://punchng.com/you-lied-about-weather-minister-tells-inec/

Prof. Yakubu on Saturday blamed the postponement of the presidential and National Assembly elections on bad weather which affected flight operations .

2. I chatted with a church member serving in Katsina State to know the situation of things. He told me no election materials was on ground as at 11pm on the election even (scroll down for screenshots).

Meanwhile, the state Resident Electoral Commissioner, Ibrahim Zarewa, has admitted that there was a serious mix up in the materials sent to the state.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/masari-shema-others-speak-on-postponements.html

In conclusion, The INEC chairman was right about The Sabotage issue. But who could be responsible for it. ? Could it be the person in charge of logistics that has shown is open sympathy towards Biafran Agitation ?
The chairman also blamed the postponement on Logistics. Who is in charge of logistics ?

God Bless Nigeria.

Cc: Mynd44 , OAM4J

Re: Biafra Separatism: Causes, Consequences & Remedies - Prof. Ibeano, 2016 by mycar: 4:12pm On Feb 19, 2019
You have to update your knowledge my dear, the issue has been cleared and Mr Ibeanu is not in charge of logistics for this election. An adhoc committee comprising of 17 members was set up and he is not even a member.
You see your life, you have lost out in this one, cook up another lie

5 Likes

Re: Biafra Separatism: Causes, Consequences & Remedies - Prof. Ibeano, 2016 by slivertongue: 4:13pm On Feb 19, 2019
so he sabotaged 2011 and 2015? try again
Re: Biafra Separatism: Causes, Consequences & Remedies - Prof. Ibeano, 2016 by Afospecialk: 4:14pm On Feb 19, 2019

VOTING FOR Atiku AND PDP IS LIKE COMMITTING POLITICAL AND ECONOMIC SUICIDE

Atiku PLS LEAVE NIGERIA ALONE AND GO BACK TO CAMEROON

8 YEARS OF Atiku IN OFFICE HE ONLY USED IT TO SELLOFF OVER 100 NIGERIA ECONOMIC ASSETS AND LOOTER HALF OF THE MONEY

Atiku AND PDP AGENDAS ARE

1)TO SELLOFF OUR MAJOR ECONOMIC RESOURCES
2)PUT NAIRA ON FREE FLOW
3)GRANT AMNESTY TO CRIMINALS
4)ENSLAVE NIGERIANS TO HIS AMERICAN BOSSES
5)ENRICH HIS FRIENDS WITH NIGERIA TREASURY

OPERATIONS SAY NO TO CHIEF THIEF Atiku

Re: Biafra Separatism: Causes, Consequences & Remedies - Prof. Ibeano, 2016 by Tospringe: 4:15pm On Feb 19, 2019
slivertongue:
so he sabotaged 2011 and 2015? try again
It's obvious you jumped into conclusion without reading.

1 Like

Re: Biafra Separatism: Causes, Consequences & Remedies - Prof. Ibeano, 2016 by Atiku4betaNaija: 4:19pm On Feb 19, 2019
The exact reason why I don't take a lot of Buharians serious on nairaland- Hypocrisy
Atiku was not corrupt when he decamped to APC before 2015. Atiku was not corrupt when they all popped bottles after Jonathan conceded in 2015. For the past three years, when Mr Integrity was making noise about corruption, Atiku was exonerated. But immediately Atiku decided to leave, he became the real definition of corruption.
Let the Buharians keep belittling him on nairaland, while Oshiomole keeps thinking in reality. 2019 will be another interesting year

1 Like

Re: Biafra Separatism: Causes, Consequences & Remedies - Prof. Ibeano, 2016 by slivertongue: 4:34pm On Feb 19, 2019
I quote author=Tospringe post=75897313]
It's obvious you jumped into conclusion without reading. [/quote].
i read it
Re: Biafra Separatism: Causes, Consequences & Remedies - Prof. Ibeano, 2016 by slivertongue: 4:35pm On Feb 19, 2019
It's obvious you jumped into conclusion without reading. [/quote].
i read it, who sabotaged 2011 and 2015?
Re: Biafra Separatism: Causes, Consequences & Remedies - Prof. Ibeano, 2016 by Tospringe: 4:42pm On Feb 19, 2019
slivertongue:
It's obvious you jumped into conclusion without reading. .
i read it, who sabotaged 2011 and 2015?
Is the topic and content related to 2011 and 2015 election ?

1 Like

Re: Biafra Separatism: Causes, Consequences & Remedies - Prof. Ibeano, 2016 by NothingDoMe: 4:56pm On Feb 19, 2019
mycar:
You have to update your knowledge my dear, the issue has been cleared and Mr Ibeanu is not in charge of logistics for this election. An adhoc committee comprising of 17 members was set up and he is not even a member.
You see your life, you have lost out in this one, cook up another lie
Lol
Re: Biafra Separatism: Causes, Consequences & Remedies - Prof. Ibeano, 2016 by austinsmat(m): 5:02pm On Feb 19, 2019
When is time to take glory, it will be inec chairman but there is problem,igbo man will take the fault Nigerians which way.

1 Like

Re: Biafra Separatism: Causes, Consequences & Remedies - Prof. Ibeano, 2016 by Atiku4betaNaija: 5:09pm On Feb 19, 2019
ALL supporters of APC... You're all MAD!
Africa is a disgrace to humanity !
The Bible says, " The fear of God is wisdom "! Nigerians are the most religious pple on earth yet, the most foolish. How come?
I don't think any wise or progressive thinking Nigerian should even consider voting for anyone other than ATIKU AGUERO ABUBAKAR..... 95% of Nigerians are
FOOLISH and REGRESSIVE !
Re: Biafra Separatism: Causes, Consequences & Remedies - Prof. Ibeano, 2016 by Stone123(m): 5:21pm On Feb 19, 2019

(1) (Reply)

Here Are The States With Highest PVC Collection + Full List / Where Is Ambode? / Dino Melaye Exposes Yahaya Bello & Smart Adeyemi's Plan To Steal His 8000 Votes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.